I'm getting sick of the lack of originality in new bands

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
NeonVomit
I'm getting sick of the lack of originality in new bands

Post by NeonVomit » Sun May 29, 2005 4:10 pm

It seems like every new metal band I come across sounds like the bastard child of the Gothenburg death scene, or is from the prog/power Finnish scene, or some God-awful mixture with Nu-metal.

I can't think of the last new, original sounding band I've come across.

It gets me down :(
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

Twilightsymphony

Re: I'm getting sick of the lack of originality in new bands

Post by Twilightsymphony » Sun May 29, 2005 4:37 pm

yeah, started some years ago. I just cant stand listening to the 100th nightwish/strato clone, for some reason certain bigger metal labels *cough* nuclear blast.. seem to be quite centered when looking for new bands... same with all those Rhapsody clones..

Personally i dont have a problem with the swedish death metal stuff, and i seem to enjoy bands who add a modern (slightly nu metal influenced) sound, like Duskfall or some Hypocrisy stuff. But i can see your point..

There are some good bands in every genre and way more who try to copy those bands in a more or less successful way, so i mainly listen to the few original ones ;)

Its just that there isnt as much movement as three or four years ago i think.

Fortunately there are quite a bunch of folk metal bands that show some individuality, and which are quite new to me as i wasnt aware of those bands until a year ago... must be the reason why i enjoy it quite much recently, although there is some kind of "trend" evolving, must be because of Finntroll´s success over the last years...

if i think about it i dont really listen to really new bands. i think there are many outstanding ones, but those have been there for quite some time, yet they still manage to impress me more than many newer bands... i think Ensiferum is the newest band i listen to...
Delusions Of Grandeur

MaFiaBoY

Post by MaFiaBoY » Sun May 29, 2005 4:42 pm

The most recent band I listen to is I think Symphony X and it was created in 1993 or something like that, so I totally agree with you. So I guess I'm like TS, I mainly listen to old bands frof the late 60's to 80's.
Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated ~desu

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Sun May 29, 2005 5:32 pm

I cant think of the newest band I listen to and enjoy. Im guessing Deviser, Greek black metal with a folk slant that sounds quite fresh. Other than that, I give bands time to prove themselves before i listen to them (even if that doesnt include commercial success, im talking about creativity)
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

brought2ubyletterC

Post by brought2ubyletterC » Sun May 29, 2005 11:02 pm

Like a musician friend of mine always says, there are only so many notes or chords, and combinations in which to play them. Really, how much of it can you do and still be original? In other words, what is out there that hasn't already been done in some degree? :lol:

Beast_Pete

Post by Beast_Pete » Sun May 29, 2005 11:15 pm

(1966+15)

That's the truth C. So, there's no originality anymore.
"Mikor az utolsó véred is elfolyék,
S a tested is a porba hullék,
Akkor is van még remény,
Mert a lelked továbbra is él."

- Mark Swanson -
from the book, Nick's legend

Jaakko

Post by Jaakko » Sun May 29, 2005 11:48 pm

brought2ubyletterC wrote:Like a musician friend of mine always says, there are only so many notes or chords, and combinations in which to play them. Really, how much of it can you do and still be original? In other words, what is out there that hasn't already been done in some degree? :lol:
Notes and chords are another thing... But playing styles, arrangements and audio production are another, endless playfield. In any case, the power of audio processing today is so big, there are yet countless new things coming up nobody can even imagine yet. Just takes some vision and good producers. But most of all, normal people who listen the music would have to be open for it. And we aren't there yet, genres and genre followers are just as strict in their opinions as they've always been. Fighting, metal vs. rap for example. Anyone who can say either one is better is to blame for bands and record companies being careful not to cross lines. Don't complain but instead BUY the original thing when it comes out =P

Twilight Legionnaire

Post by Twilight Legionnaire » Mon May 30, 2005 12:18 am

Twilightsymphony wrote:yeah, started some years ago. I just cant stand listening to the 100th nightwish/strato clone, for some reason certain bigger metal labels *cough* nuclear blast.. seem to be quite centered when looking for new bands... same with all those Rhapsody clones..

Personally i dont have a problem with the swedish death metal stuff, and i seem to enjoy bands who add a modern (slightly nu metal influenced) sound, like Duskfall or some Hypocrisy stuff. But i can see your point..

There are some good bands in every genre and way more who try to copy those bands in a more or less successful way, so i mainly listen to the few original ones ;)

Its just that there isnt as much movement as three or four years ago i think.

Fortunately there are quite a bunch of folk metal bands that show some individuality, and which are quite new to me as i wasnt aware of those bands until a year ago... must be the reason why i enjoy it quite much recently, although there is some kind of "trend" evolving, must be because of Finntroll´s success over the last years...

if i think about it i dont really listen to really new bands. i think there are many outstanding ones, but those have been there for quite some time, yet they still manage to impress me more than many newer bands... i think Ensiferum is the newest band i listen to...
You mentioned folk metal, I've managd to come across a "new" band (they have two albums so far) called Korpiklaani. They're finns, perhaps some of the people here already know them.

Well.. they're original, I can grant you that. They don't have keyboards (like many bands nowadays, who use keyboards for different purposes than the ones they're meant for), but they have a violin player, a flute player, and an acordeon player. They're really interesting, got my addicted really quick.

I recommend them to people who like folk metal.
perkele

Nightmare1z

Post by Nightmare1z » Mon May 30, 2005 12:42 am

And what exactly is your definition of what keyboard is meant for?

Twilightsymphony

Post by Twilightsymphony » Mon May 30, 2005 12:45 am

Twilight Legionnaire wrote: You mentioned folk metal, I've managd to come across a "new" band (they have two albums so far) called Korpiklaani. They're finns, perhaps some of the people here already know them.

Well.. they're original, I can grant you that. They don't have keyboards (like many bands nowadays, who use keyboards for different purposes than the ones they're meant for), but they have a violin player, a flute player, and an acordeon player. They're really interesting, got my addicted really quick.

:) Funny.
i didnt mention them because i dont feel impressed by them, still have the albums though, but in general its some mixture of Otyg and Finntroll without harsh vocals ;)

they are ok, but i dont like the singer, although, if i am right, he made the jojk parts on Finntrolls Jaktens Tid... which are great.. well...

About new styles and originality: I can imagine that this has been said thousand times before :)
Im in a way convinced that there will be new styles of music. And there are more than genres than metal, btw...
Delusions Of Grandeur

brought2ubyletterC

Post by brought2ubyletterC » Mon May 30, 2005 1:31 am

You mentioned folk metal, I've managd to come across a "new" band (they have two albums so far) called Korpiklaani. They're finns, perhaps some of the people here already know them.
I've never heard of them (but I'm not Finnish either). I would like to hear more though. They sound interesting. Is there a site or anywhere I can hear their music?

Twilightsymphony

Post by Twilightsymphony » Mon May 30, 2005 1:35 am

Nightmare1z wrote:And what exactly is your definition of what keyboard is meant for?
To make Limbonic Art sound cheesy :? :wink:
Delusions Of Grandeur

Equinox

Post by Equinox » Mon May 30, 2005 2:04 am

Twilight Legionnaire wrote:You mentioned folk metal, I've managd to come across a "new" band (they have two albums so far) called Korpiklaani. They're finns, perhaps some of the people here already know them.

I'm not into harsh voices and that kind of things, but Korpiklaani is a good band, and I at least understand the guy (I don't have idea of what the guy from Finntroll is talking about) and the music is kinda....happy...I like them! I just got the 2 whole albums......THANKS CLICKY! :D
"Insanity: A Perfect Rational Adjustment To An Insane World"

Twilightsymphony

Post by Twilightsymphony » Mon May 30, 2005 2:30 am

Equinox wrote:(I don't have idea of what the guy from Finntroll is talking about)
Maybe because its swedish ;)

Its mainly about everyday troll life and hunting christians. Oh, and some decent sauna destruction :D
Delusions Of Grandeur

Equinox

Post by Equinox » Mon May 30, 2005 4:43 pm

I don't have idea of what The Person Above Me is talking about when he said "Troll life and hunting christians. Oh, and some decent sauna destruction". :?

Beast_Pete

Post by Beast_Pete » Mon May 30, 2005 6:16 pm

(1973+15)
Equinox wrote:I don't have idea of what The Person Above Me is talking about when he said "Troll life and hunting christians. Oh, and some decent sauna destruction". :?
Then listen to Finntroll. :D
Akkor is van még remény,

- Mark Swanson -

Equinox

Post by Equinox » Mon May 30, 2005 6:23 pm

Equinox wrote:(I don't have idea of what the guy from Finntroll is talking about)

Beast_Pete

Post by Beast_Pete » Mon May 30, 2005 6:24 pm

(1977+15)

Ask someone to translate it.
Akkor is van még remény,

- Mark Swanson -

Equinox

Post by Equinox » Mon May 30, 2005 6:40 pm

Do u like Finntroll Pete? 8)

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Mon May 30, 2005 8:58 pm

brought2ubyletterC wrote:
I've never heard of them (but I'm not Finnish either). I would like to hear more though. They sound interesting. Is there a site or anywhere I can hear their music?
Korpiklaani is a must-listen band!!!! Their sound reminds me early Skyclad, but much more folkier ...
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

brought2ubyletterC

Post by brought2ubyletterC » Tue May 31, 2005 7:13 am

Then I must better make my acquaintance with this band! :D

Solitude_Within

Post by Solitude_Within » Tue May 31, 2005 9:16 am

Evergrey is a fairly new band and there very orignal in sound. I think there first album was made in 1998.

But thats the only good new band that i can think of :|

Twilight Legionnaire

Post by Twilight Legionnaire » Tue May 31, 2005 3:09 pm

Solitude_Within wrote:Evergrey is a fairly new band and there very orignal in sound. I think there first album was made in 1998.

But thats the only good new band that i can think of :|
Hey, I was going to mention Evergrey aswell! :D

I bought their album A Night to Remember when it came out. I already had been offered, by my guitar instructor, the Inner Circle and Recreation day when I gave my first live gig, but never paid them much attention.

I was overwhelmed. Excellent progressive metal, never boring or excessively extended songs. I saw them live on the 11th May here in Portugal, and they kicked some MAJOR ass, even with a small audience!!

They now rank among my favorite bands, siding with Stratovarius, Blind Guardian and Iron Maiden :) I bought their DVD last weekend, a live gig recorded in Gothemburg - it's awesome. If people don't know them, I definately recommend trying to listen to them.

@brought2ubyletterC: if you want, I can send you a couple of Korpiklaani's songs. I only have their most recent album, but it's definately great :D

NP: Evergrey - Solitude Within
perkele

Solitude_Within

Post by Solitude_Within » Tue May 31, 2005 6:33 pm

Heh so my name got you to listen to solitude within eh? lol

Yea I Have all there cd's but the Dvd is no where to be found in Calgary at the moment.

I guess i will have to wait a little while for the dvd

If you havent taken a listen to Evergrey I would advise everyone to do so.
They are a nice mix of progressive, Power, and Dark melodic music.

Twilight Legionnaire

Post by Twilight Legionnaire » Tue May 31, 2005 6:52 pm

Solitude_Within wrote:Heh so my name got you to listen to solitude within eh? lol

Yea I Have all there cd's but the Dvd is no where to be found in Calgary at the moment.

I guess i will have to wait a little while for the dvd

If you havent taken a listen to Evergrey I would advise everyone to do so.
They are a nice mix of progressive, Power, and Dark melodic music.
Nah, I was listening to the album In Search of Truth and your name reminded me of Solitude*Dominance*Tragedy's first song :D
perkele

TrialByFire

Post by TrialByFire » Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:57 am

I must admit that it is getting harder and harder to find any new interesting bands. The American scene has me very depressed. If it isn't the old school stuff like Overkill, Testament, Exodus, Anthrax etc, the newer stuff I have gotten into was Fear Factory, Jag Panzer and Kamelot. Thats it for the US.

Most of the stuff I like is European and at least makes me smile.
"As far as I'm concerned, the only thing the French should be allowed to host is an invasion" Johnny English

Paschendale

Post by Paschendale » Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:44 am

The new metal or I should say nu-metal bands in the US are mostly all shit.
~~When dusk falls and obscures the sky
You´re the shine of the Northern Star
No dead of night can fade the brilliance of your light~~

Beast_Pete

Post by Beast_Pete » Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:34 pm

Paschendale wrote:The new metal or I should say nu-metal bands in the US are mostly all shit.
A guy called these bands as Linkin Biztkit bands. :D
Akkor is van még remény,

- Mark Swanson -