World Cup 2006

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
NeonVomit
Re: World Cup 2006

Post by NeonVomit » Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:45 pm

stratohawk wrote:
Aresius wrote:All i have to say is altough Argentina and Brasil are rivals i hope that they win because at least, we, south american people dont buy games...
what's that supposed to mean? :?:
They're bitter cos they lost. Fair enough, penalty shootouts are always cruel, but come on, buying a match? Brazil have had a few very questionable refereeing decisions in their favour (like goals counting when they are actually offside and whatnot). These things happen.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:46 pm

Oh yeah, and:

Stratovarrior

Post by Stratovarrior » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:30 pm

nepi wrote:
Miguel_Ricardo wrote:
Stratovarrior wrote:FINLAND!!!FINLAND!!!FINLAND!!!FINLAND!!! FINLAND!!!FINLAND!!!FINLAND!!!FINLAND!!!
sorry wrong sport

uuuuhhhhhhhhhh uhhhhhhhhh :lol:
Guys, that post rocks!!!!! :lol: :lol:

Well, I even can't scream for switzerland, but don't forget where the next european championship will be.... SWITZERLAND!
HAHAHAAAAA.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
BLUE AND WHITE :lol: :lol:
STILL:
FINLAND FINLAND FINLAND FINLAND FINLAND FINLAND FINLAND FINLAND FINLAND FINLAND FINLAND FINLAND FINLAND FINLAND
The sky have so cute clouds:)...Wind sings in mine ears:)....Rain drops so nicely:)......There i nice and cool weather.....Birds are singing..... - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'M GOING TO FREEK OUT TO FINNISH WEATHER!!!

Equinox

Post by Equinox » Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:38 pm

I almost cried yesterday when Argentina lost. :D
And I agree, putting Cruz into the field was a mistake.
And that injury that put the golley out was one of the 2 things that made Arg fall.

:(

But, this afternoon. Brazil, hopefully will play bonito. :D
"Insanity: A Perfect Rational Adjustment To An Insane World"

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:51 pm

I have to gloat for a minute.

Please go back and read my posts on this thread, find each one that refers to England. I said repeatedly that England will reach the quarter finals and lose on penalties.

I was correct.

So far, 3 of my quarter-final predictions have come true, exactly as I have stated. It remains to be seen what will happen tonight, I predict Brazil will concede a goal before waking up and winning the match.

Damn I love being right :D

Warrior of Hell

Post by Warrior of Hell » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:59 pm

nepi wrote:1. FC Köln?
"Kaiserslautern Fußballclub olé"....

1. FC Kaiserslautern :( :oops: :cry: :x
Why does life sometimes feel so strange?

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:01 pm

@ NeonVomit: Hahha you can predict the future!! Good guesses! :)

Nothing personal, but as you know, I was hoping for England to be out... It's just a matter of history, that's all. :)

@ Dave and his German messages: Adesso devo tifare per l'Italia perche le altre squadre non mi piacciono. La Germania è veramente una testa di cazzo, allora devo dire: Forza Italia!!
If irony were made of strawberries, we'd all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now.

Warrior of Hell

Post by Warrior of Hell » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:02 pm

Stealth wrote: @ Dave and his German messages: Adesso devo tifare per l'Italia perche le altre squadre non mi piacciono. La Germania è veramente una testa di cazzo, allora devo dire: Forza Italia!!
give it up ;-) Your team will come home on wednesday :wink:
Why does life sometimes feel so strange?

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:58 pm

YES!!! OH YES!!! OH YESS OH YESS OH YESS!!!!!! BRASIL'S OUT!!!!!!!! :D Let us celebrate, finally a World Championship that's not so boring cuz Brasil is dominating. YESYESYESYESYESYESYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...and to all of their supporters: You have to admit, Brasil sucked this year.

dirge

Post by dirge » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:00 pm

Zidane was magical tonight!

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:03 pm

France has some history of dominating Brazil in World Cups. But I can't believe that either France or Portugal will be in the final... :?
If irony were made of strawberries, we'd all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now.

cliff

Post by cliff » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:04 pm

Joo...
Who could expect France to go that far in the competition, considering how crap they played at the beginning of this cup.
Apparently, France is now the favorite, coz Zidane really wants to finish his carrier en beauté... well, honestly, it won't change my life :wink:
<b>This is wrong</b>

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:08 pm

yes. Who expected France? And especially, who expected Germany??? It's really great... and it's absolutely fair. Brasil sucked this year. And, England.... it's terrible for them, their nightmare are those penalties... personally I think it's funny, but well... :wink:

NordicStorm

Post by NordicStorm » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:11 pm

Well, I don't personally have any favourites, but I have to say my two bets on France winning against Spain and then Brazil has paid off quite nicely ;) Which, it should be said, was more dumb luck than a profound understanding and painstakingly careful studying of the teams and of the sport in general...

Finals...Germany - France, Germany wins. Cue jokes ad nauseam about Germany conquering France. Portugal in the final would be something, though.

Thank Hasselhoff England is out. Now can everyone please stop bitching about Eriksson?
Give me liberty, or give me cake!

IceBreaker
Location:Somewhere out from Strato-forum (=Etelä-Kymenlaakso)

Post by IceBreaker » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:14 pm

Yeah, I guess hardly nobody would guessed so... But they were great today and like dirge said, Zidane was magical, finally again. Perhaps he found the joy to play again after his goal against Spain. :wink:

But AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH, today was FANTASTIC!!! My fav team Portugal beat England, a team which I´ve never liked (and hate few players starting Lampard...), in the penalties and now Brazil is finally out, and just right before. Extremely excellent, awesome!!! :beer: :ola:

What happens to England is also in my opinion someway funny, they never can handle the penalties or won Sweden... But no matter as I don´t like their team.
:wink:
"I shall seize Fate by the throat; it shall certainly not bend and crush me completely"

Equinox

Post by Equinox » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:02 am

stratohawk wrote:...and to all of their supporters: You have to admit, Brasil sucked this year.
Yeah, I admit it. They sucked, especially in this game. They played like garbage. But I didn't wanted them to fall against France. Not like 8 years ago. But, crap. And like Ciff said "well, honestly, it won't change my life"

And I believe this cup belongs to Germany. Now I'm cheering for your team Dave! :)

Patricia

Post by Patricia » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:03 am

Even if i'm not really a fan of this french team, i'm surprised about tonight! Wow!
Olen tyytyväinen...Onpa kiva tavata...

Miguel_Ricardo

Post by Miguel_Ricardo » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:49 am

uhhh today I wanted Brazil and England to win !!!! waaaaaaaaaa :shock:

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:52 am

Miguel_Ricardo wrote:uhhh today I wanted Brazil and England to win !!!! waaaaaaaaaa :shock:
Then in Argentina, you would be what we call a "bicho raro". :lol:

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:07 am

Ok. My prediction for this match was half-true. I predicted that Brazil would concede a goal, but they never did wake up and start playing proper football. They were totally outclassed.

And I take back everything I said about Zidane and the French team in general. Holy... oh my... I actually have no words. He was absolutely on fire tonight... I think he played his best ever game. An absolute magician of football. There are no other words.

HvyMtlClickWitch

Post by HvyMtlClickWitch » Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:29 am

I heard a vague rumour from a fairly unreliable source about the German goalie being tipped off in advance on all the Argentine penalty kickers and the directions they would take. Anyone hear anything similar to this?
Let no man surrender so long as he is unwounded and can fight.

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:43 am

Yes, it was in the Argentine newspapers (but it wasn't exactly an important piece of news). To be honest, I think that's ridiculous. I don't think that all the players decide in advance where they are going to shoot. Apparently, the Germans watched videos of Argentina's penalties in the last three years, but I don't see how that could help... I mean, there's not a whole lot of strategy and tactics involved in penalties; you just place the ball on the grass, aim at the far left or far right side, shoot and hope for the best. Studying a rival's penalty kicks is just ridiculous... What is there to be learnt?!? Lehmann was lucky to guess the sides, and that's what penalties are all about: luck. I don't really believe that Klinsmann watched tons of videos of penalty shootouts.

MetalAngel

Post by MetalAngel » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:09 am

I hope that Portugal will defeat the french team on wednesday.
Toutes choses étant égales, par ailleurs, la solution la plus simple est toujours la meilleure.

Spirit Of Metal Webzine : http://www.spirit-of-metal.com

www.myspace.com/metalangelmusic

nepi

Post by nepi » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:01 pm

Congrats MetalAngel and fellows of France! Brazil is not that team that it meant before the cup. I hoped the won't get the cup with such bad games....
And France grew from game to game - not bad, I am impressed!
you can't kill my dreams
you can't kill my spirit
I was born to be FREE!

cliff

Post by cliff » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:11 pm

MetalAngel wrote:I hope that Portugal will defeat the french team on wednesday.
Really strange. French pp seems to be the only pp who don't support their own team.
So the next match for France is on wedersday. Good, I won't be in that stupid country anymore!
<b>This is wrong</b>

MetalAngel

Post by MetalAngel » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:30 pm

cliff wrote:
Really strange. French pp seems to be the only pp who don't support their own team.
So the next match for France is on wedersday. Good, I won't be in that stupid country anymore!
Well, I must admit that the french team isn't as good and great as it was when Platini, Deschamp, Lizarazu or Petit were in this team...That's why I don't like the new french team. For me, the best players were in the 80's/90's period.
Toutes choses étant égales, par ailleurs, la solution la plus simple est toujours la meilleure.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:41 pm

Anyhow, Neon Bookmakers return with predictions for the Final Four of the Europea... um, I mean World Cup.

Germany, riding on the home advantage, will overcome Italy.

Scolari has a few tricks up his sleeve that I believe will help him defeat France.

Patricia

Post by Patricia » Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:02 pm

MetalAngel wrote:
cliff wrote:
Well, I must admit that the french team isn't as good and great as it was when Platini, Deschamp, Lizarazu or Petit were in this team...That's why I don't like the new french team. For me, the best players were in the 80's/90's period.
Of course that's obvious!! Until 1998, where already Zidane was there too.

@Cliff: this country is stupid because of the racailles i guess. :wink:
Olen tyytyväinen...Onpa kiva tavata...

MetalAngel

Post by MetalAngel » Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:06 pm

And I must say that I don't like soccer so much. I prefer 500 times ice-hockey. And in this winter sport, I support the french team. :wink: They are ones of my favorites (along with Czech Republic and Finland). 8)

Equinox

Post by Equinox » Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:05 pm

Ha! What a coincidence! me too. :D