Recently seen movies

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
stratohawk
Re: Recently seen movies

Post by stratohawk » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:12 am

Stratofanius wrote:The Rock
It was good movie, though maybe a bit too overlong and some action scenes were... hmm, little clumsy. Good actors, especially my idol Sean Connery made great role. And who couldn't love his great scottish accent? :)
The story of the movie is IMO not taken out very well, though I like the basic constellation (Ed Harris as a "good evil"). But the actors are good, that's right! And what I especially like about this movie is the score. It's simply great, it's overwhelming. I even prefer listening to the soundtrack than watching the movie itself. :wink:

miditek

Post by miditek » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:17 pm

Gothic- with Gabriel Byrnes, and Julian Sands. A ghost story, of sorts.
Κύριε ἐλέησον

stratobabius

Post by stratobabius » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:44 pm

Grimm Brothers...
Nice fairy tale... "and they all lived happily ever after" style...
How I've missed these...

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:19 am

City Of God.

that was shocking...

Morgana

Post by Morgana » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:33 am

"Da Vinci Code". Well, nice movie. Of course the book was better as always but it's a difficult book to make a movie so I'm satisfied.

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:40 am

V For Vendetta
I really liked this, though I still prefer Matrix.

Pikkusielu

Post by Pikkusielu » Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:21 pm

Scary Movie 3

it was complete shit. :)

Stratofanius

Post by Stratofanius » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:27 am

Air Force One.

Good movie, though feeling "America is the best" came to my mind all the time. However, nearly all actors were perfect, expect those soulles USA generals which were so dumb :roll:

bashoofd

Post by bashoofd » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:18 am

i've seen: Pirates of the Caribean 2 tonight :D great movie, Johnny Depp is so cool :D
Never Give Up
Never Give in
Stronger than steel,
we're the Legions of the Twilight

Painless_Cry

Post by Painless_Cry » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:14 am

i hope so watch that movie on wednesday with my BF

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:58 am

bashoofd wrote:i've seen: Pirates of the Caribean 2 tonight :D great movie, Johnny Depp is so cool :D
can't wait to see it, too! hopefully tomorrow night! :P

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:53 am

stratohawk wrote:
bashoofd wrote:i've seen: Pirates of the Caribean 2 tonight :D great movie, Johnny Depp is so cool :D
can't wait to see it, too! hopefully tomorrow night! :P
I'll see it once the war is over ... It's my most anticipated movie in 2006.
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

Dave

Post by Dave » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:56 am

I didn't like Pirates of the Carribean 2 much.. The second half of the movie seemed pretty much "uninspired" to me, just as if the writers didn't have any more ideas.. The first part was much better.
Spamming is serious business!

htcdude

Post by htcdude » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:08 am

Smokey And The Bandit! \m/ \m/ \m/

Used to watch this film over and over when i was a kid glad to see it's out on DVD now :D
"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me."

Stratofanius

Post by Stratofanius » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:15 pm

I haven't seen the second Pirates of the Caribbean movie, but I didn't even like the first part. Boring scenes, stupid "actors" (what the fuck Orland Bloom is doing there, and Keira's performance was like from B-class movie). Well, Depp was actually ok but the best thing in that movie was definitely Geoffrey Rush.

Don't get me wrong, I really love everything that is about pirates and old Caribbean "tales". I REALLY, REALLY REALLY do! But this movie just wasn't very good...

Stratofanius

Post by Stratofanius » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:56 pm

Event Horizon
I liked it. There was some quite scary scenes.

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:40 pm

Sophie Scholl: The Final Days

Another great German movie about WW2 period.

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:13 pm

Dave wrote:I didn't like Pirates of the Carribean 2 much.. The second half of the movie seemed pretty much "uninspired" to me, just as if the writers didn't have any more ideas.. The first part was much better.
dito. I just came back from the movie theatre, and I was disappointed. :? Too long, to many special effects (those slimy monsters are getting boring, we now them all since Lord of the Rings, King Kong, etc.), and especially TOO FEW SCENES WITH CAPTAIN JACK SPARROW! He's acting so cool in PotC...

Stratofanius

Post by Stratofanius » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:32 pm

There are too much special effects in new movies, and often they just look so plastic shit :(
Oh how I miss those old special effects from 80's and early 90's... they really were usually very realistic,
but nowadays --> :puke:

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:04 am

Stratofanius wrote:There are too much special effects in new movies, and often they just look so plastic shit :(
Oh how I miss those old special effects from 80's and early 90's... they really were usually very realistic,
but nowadays --> :puke:
take for example the special effects of "Independence Day" (independent from what you think about the movie itself :wink: - I, personally, like it): In that movie they blow up real models (those UFOs are models of 9m diameter, NewYork, the White House - all models), so all the fire and explosions are real. The aliens are costumes and masks, and IMO all that appears much more "realistic" compared to all the computer-made aliens, animals, etc. from movies like the StarWars sequels, PotC2, those bugs in King Kong, ... Since it is possible to create worlds and creatures in a PC, directors are using this possibility far too much!

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:31 am

The Birds
Maaan this was a bad movie. :P Nothing in it made sense and there was nothing interesting in the main characters. Birds is nowhere near the other Hitchcock-masterpieces like Vertigo and Psycho.

stratobabius

Post by stratobabius » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:49 am

Mormegil wrote:The Birds
Maaan this was a bad movie. :P Nothing in it made sense and there was nothing interesting in the main characters. Birds is nowhere near the other Hitchcock-masterpieces like Vertigo and Psycho.
Was it that movie in the 18h-19th century where a bunch of thieves spend a night at a deserted house?It's called dead birds in greek so I'm not sure if it's that...If not, this movie is bad too. :D

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:57 am

Nope, it's Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056869/

:P

Stratofanius

Post by Stratofanius » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:33 pm

Die Hard trilogy
I watched these classic actions movies first time in my life :oops: All I can say... they were awesome! I really enjoyed all of them and John McLane is just great character.

There were many things that said something about Finland.
Die Hard 2 was directed by finnish director Renny Harlin and we heard Jean Sibelius and other stuff, and in Die Hard with Vengeance there was Tony Halme... cool :D Also in the first movie, this quote line was funny:

Gail Wallens: Dr. Hasseldorf, what can we expect in the next few hours?
Dr. Hasseldorf: Well, Gail, by this time the hostages will be going through the early stages of the Helsinki Syndrome.
Harvey Johnson: As in Helsinki, Sweden.
Dr. Hasseldorf: Finland.

Stratovarrior

Post by Stratovarrior » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:52 pm

Inuyasha movie 2
The sky have so cute clouds:)...Wind sings in mine ears:)....Rain drops so nicely:)......There i nice and cool weather.....Birds are singing..... - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'M GOING TO FREEK OUT TO FINNISH WEATHER!!!

Pikkusielu

Post by Pikkusielu » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:30 pm

Continued my watching of anime movie classics.

From the legendary Studio Ghibli:

Tonari no Totoro / My Neighbor Totoro

I've seen it so many times and it's lovely, completely adorable. I could watch it over and over again and smile wickedly every time.

Mononoke-hime / Princess Mononoke

An epic masterpiece, a beautiful story about a war between the expansive people of Irontown and the spirits of the forest, where the humans reign. Unfortunately it was dubbed in english so all of the japanese passion didn't transfer.

Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi / Spirited Away

I can't explain it. It was great but it had so many layers and point of views, that it's a bit hard to just talk about them. Awesome characters is all I can say. Watch it. I watched it dubbed in english so it was bit over-acted or something like that. Have to see the original japanese version, too.

stratobabius

Post by stratobabius » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:51 am

Click with Adam Sandler
Amazing...it changed my whole view of my life (Talk about easy manipulation :lol: )
Anyway, for this (and cause of vacation) you won't be seeing much of me for the next 10 days at least. :)

Stratofanius

Post by Stratofanius » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:30 am

Happy Gilmore
I watched this movie first time maybe 8 years ago and I liked it very much, and I still do. Adam Sandler is excellent as Gilmore and movie is quite funny.

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:54 am

okay, I knew that movie before, but as I watched it again, it came to my mind what a masterpiece this is. All of those thrillers that came out later, you know, with a psycho murderer and stuff, are inspired or copies of "7". One of the best movies ever, definitely.

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:24 pm

X-Men - The Last Stand
Fun action movie. Previous two were a bit deeper, but this is a good movie too ...
Batman Begins
FInally a great Batman movie, after 2 horrible sequels of Tim Burton's movies.
Pirates Of The Carribean 2
WOW! This is as great as the first one, IMO even better!!
Naked Lunch
A 1.5 hour-long drug induced hallucination filmed as a movie ... I probably have to see it few more times just to understand what the hell is going on there ... This, Videodrome and eXistenZ are probably Cronenberg's weirdest movies.
Dead Ringers
Another movie of David Cronenberg, not the usual weird horror stuff he did in the 70's and the 80's, but creepy as hell nonetheless ... It's about two identical twins played by Jeremy Irons, who are both gynecologists. They have a very successful carrers until one of them falls in love with an actress who comes to their clinic, she's also a drug addict and causes one of the twins to become a drug addict too. After that we see both twins gradually breaking down and the end of the movie is probably one of the most powerful endings ever. Highly recommended movie.
A History Of Violence
Newest Cronenberg's movie, shows how violence develops in seemingly happy american family. Great movie, great acting and great atmosphere. Also highly recommended.
Crash
Another weird movie from David Cronenberg - it's a fucked-up movie about fucked-up people who get sexual pleasure from car crashes ...