Swede gives mum a 40G/bit (!) Internet connection

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
miditek
Swede gives mum a 40G/bit (!) Internet connection

Post by miditek » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:14 pm

75-year-old likely set Internet speed record
Her fiber-optic connection could be world's fastest home uplink

msnbc.msn.com/id/19832184

Swedish mum Sigbritt Lothberg has a 40/Gigabit connection installed at home! 8)

To illustrate how fast this connection is, 10G is the current standard for many campus-wide backbone connections, which is often provided by some of Cisco Systems' most expensive ($100k and up) core switches and routers, such as the 7000 series products, and she already has that beat by a factor of 4x ! :shock:

It wasn't that long ago when Cisco was selling 10G expansion cards for these routers at $10,000 -$20,000 per port!

A typical consumer type ADSL connection gives most users 1 to 1.5MB/s downstream (although some service plans are faster, at 2Mbit/s), so a 1G connection is approximately faster by a factor of roughly 1,000 - which makes 10G faster by a factor of roughly 10,000 and the 40G is, well, I think most can do the math from here. :D

Somehow, mum does not seem too terribly impressed with all of this networking power, and only uses it to browse newspapers, according to her son, networking expert Peter Lothberg. :lol:
Κύριε ἐλέησον

RammaGun

Re: Swede gives mum a 40G/bit (!) Internet connection

Post by RammaGun » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:06 pm

:shock: :lol: Man, that is like you see and old lady driving a BMW 7 series or another luxury car: They don't know almost nothing about what they are driving :lol: kinda waste :roll:

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:42 am

I'm jealous! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Reminds me of the song,"Little Old Lady From Pasadena". :lol:
Go, granny, go!! :lol:
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

cliff

Post by cliff » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:02 am

Ah, I wish some of my relative worked for Cisco :-)

Personally I don't see what's the point to have a really fast connexion.
Most of the people use Internet for checking news, forums or some Myspace/Youtube community.
And if some of them download music or videos, they do it in the "background", while surfing around.
Of course it's really cool if you can download a linux distribution in really few minutes, but somehow it's absolutely not the end of the world if you need to wait 5 or 6 hours for it.
I still remember the first time I went to Internet. RTC connexion with a 28.8 KB dialing modem, it took 1 hour and a half to download a movie trailer, and 30 minutes for a MP3 file. With a normal DSL, the trailer takes 5 or 6 minutes and the MP3 2 minutes. It's ok. What's the point to have a 20MB internet connexion, u'll get each MP3 file in 5 seconds, but spend 30 more time to find them on your hard disk drive.

One good thing with fast connexion is the possibilities for web TVs or for High Definition TV channels. No need to get/install any DVB-T DVB-C or DVB-S equipement anymore.
<b>This is wrong</b>

cliff

Post by cliff » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:08 am

RammaGun wrote::shock: :lol: Man, that is like you see and old lady driving a BMW 7 series or another luxury car: They don't know almost nothing about what they are driving :lol: kinda waste :roll:
Ah, I have seen that many times. Old ladies who just retired and have no idea what to do with her money... And drive at 30 kmh and every car behind hers are using horns, but... the old lady is almost deaf and those drivers disturb everyone else but her :D
<b>This is wrong</b>

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:42 am

:shock:

I wish I had a connection that fast... although I don't know what I'd do with it, I don't download films or music!
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

black death

Post by black death » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:24 am

Hm...Swedes are really crazy :shock:
It's been a month or so when one Swede got a disability pension because of his "metal music addiction" :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstories ... _page.html

htcdude

Post by htcdude » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:25 am

She should be on Sweden's Got Talent :D
"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me."

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:34 am

But another Swedish occupational therapist said: "I think it's extremely strange. If someone has has a gambling addiction you don't send them down the racetrack. We try to cure the addiction, not encourage it."
:lol: Yes, Sweden is a strange place. I can't think of anywhere else in Europe that would happen!

I wish I could get state disability benefits for listening to metal :D
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

black death

Post by black death » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:48 am

NeonVomit wrote:
But another Swedish occupational therapist said: "I think it's extremely strange. If someone has has a gambling addiction you don't send them down the racetrack. We try to cure the addiction, not encourage it."
:lol: Yes, Sweden is a strange place. I can't think of anywhere else in Europe that would happen!

I wish I could get state disability benefits for listening to metal :D
:lol: Yes, that was the first thing what came into my mind when I was reading it for the first time :D . If I wanted something like this HERE, they would send me to mad-house :lol: :lol: :lol: