South Ossetia conflict

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
black death
Re: South Ossetia conflict

Post by black death » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:18 pm

R.F. wrote:It`s a converstion between deaf and dumb.
Who's deaf and who's dumb? 8)

R.F.

Post by R.F. » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:39 pm

black death wrote:
Is that important?

A couple of links:

http://ru.youtube.com/watch?v=H8XI2Chc6uQ
http://ru.youtube.com/watch?v=WtdVS8646GI& - No comments, you see how CNN is working... Another strange thing - it seems that youtube counter is not working with these two videos.

http://www.caglecartoons.com/images/pre ... A62%7D.gif - a damn truth...

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:43 pm

Condie to the Rescue! :D

http://news.mobile.msn.com/en-us/articl ... d=26216434

Well, this conflict is settled, it seems.............'til the next one. :buh:

As it can be expected, the World Prophecy Forum is having a field day! :)
But, what I posted before about the security alert being Defcon-2 was true for a brief time. Also, more aircraft carriers being sent to the Gulf is true, too. This has not happened since the invasion of Iraq started back in 2003.

What Defcon means:

DEFCON DEFense CONdition - United States Nuclear Forces
http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/usa/c3i/defcon.htm

In other words, that little skirmish in Georgia made a few "higher ups" a little nervous. :err:
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:32 am

BEG don't worry, We'll get a blast by december :wink:
---...---

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:28 am

AGAG wrote:BEG don't worry, We'll get a blast by december :wink:
Yeah, GW will want to leave office in a Blaze of Glory! :D

Seriously, I hope not because I'm expecting a Grandson in early November, and I'm hoping this world will be a better&more peaceful place for children. And, everybody.

Now Poland is being drawn into the G&R "conflict".

Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

Demir

Post by Demir » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:56 am

NeonVomit wrote:
Shurik wrote: Fucking [insert name here]'s puppet, who the hell is [insert country's name here] to punish an independent state and to stick its nose in other countries' affairs?
This statement can now be used for anyone.
Let's start with Israel :lol:

R.F.

Post by R.F. » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:48 am

browneyedgirl wrote:Condie to the Rescue! :D

Well, this conflict is settled, it seems.............'til the next one. :buh:
That truce was signed on Monday evening before the eyes of Sarkozy, not on Friday. Is Rice trying to recieve her part of glory?)

miditek

Post by miditek » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:50 pm

Κύριε ἐλέησον

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:16 pm

Demir wrote:
NeonVomit wrote:
Shurik wrote: Fucking [insert name here]'s puppet, who the hell is [insert country's name here] to punish an independent state and to stick its nose in other countries' affairs?
If you want to compare the war In Georgia and the war in Lebanon 2 years ago - it kinda doesn't fit, because I don't remember a reports from Russia about Georgians firing rockets on half a Russia, deliberately trying to kill as much Russians as possible. May be something I missed though, I don't watch TV.

Nice try.
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:13 am

Shurik wrote:
Demir wrote:
NeonVomit wrote:
If you want to compare the war In Georgia and the war in Lebanon 2 years ago - it kinda doesn't fit, because I don't remember a reports from Russia about Georgians firing rockets on half a Russia, deliberately trying to kill as much Russians as possible. May be something I missed though, I don't watch TV.

Nice try.

I said it could be used by anyone. That's all. Virtually all wars can be boiled down to a statement like that, if one tries.

Of course, nothing is ever quite that simple...
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:34 am

miditek wrote:Pictures from the front-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9nb41v56uU
... and do we know why this started?
---...---

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:21 am

AGAG wrote:

We'll find out when a HBO mini-series is done about it. :D

miditek

Post by miditek » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:31 pm

AGAG wrote:

There are probably several reasons- regardless of who is in power, the Kremlin has traditionally reserved the right to interfere with its neighbors over the centuries, and the list is rather long- Poland (whom the Kremlin threatened to nuke just last week in a dispute over radar sites being setup by the US), Ukraine, Latvia, Estonia, Lithuania, Afghanistan, Georgia, Romania, Hungary, and others at one time or another.

This incursion into Georgia is only the latest of Moscow's adventures, although I do suspect that the reasoning behind this is at least twofold-

One, to let Tbilisi know who is boss, and that antagonizing the Kremlin will not be tolerated. These antagonisms included the conflicts with ethnic Russians in breakaway provinces such as South Ossetia, as well as what the Kremlin considers as Georgia getting a bit too close in its relationship with Washington- i.e., proposed NATO membership (which certainly had to have infuriated both Putin as well as Ivanov), in addition to Georgia sending such troops to Iraq.

(One thing is for sure, if Georgia currently was a NATO member, that it is far less likely that Russian troops would currently be on their soil.)

Two, and I think that this is the primary reason, believe it or not; to take attention and heat off of Iran for the time being, and to distract the West by focusing on Georgia. Obviously, this ruse did not play out as well as Putin or Ivanov had hoped, as Bush has just dispatched an additional pair of carrier battle groups to the Persian Gulf region.

Moscow has some rather large financial investments tied up in the Bushrer nuclear facilities in Iran, and not to mention that $750 million worth of new SAM (Surface to Air Missile) network that both Iran and Russia are working feverishly to light up (bring online) as soon as possible. It's highly unlikely that Israel can afford to wait for that to happen, as it would raise the risk/loss factors of military air strikes on Bushrer to unacceptable levels- something that Jerusalem can ill afford at the present time, as it is likely that these Qty. (90) new F-16/i series jets that they have just purchased will also be needed to deal with the political, as well as military fallout from just such an attack on Iran.

Deputy Israeli P.M. (and former defense minister) Shaul Mofaz (who is, by descent and by birth, ironically, a Persian born Jew) has stated quite clearly that Israel will not permit a second Holocaust to happen. Former and possible future P.M. Bibi Netanhayhu himself has echoed those sentiments.

So it is very, very likely that the sideshow in South Ossetia will soon give way to the main event at Bushrer.
Κύριε ἐλέησον

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:54 pm

I see... So this is just the beginning... Russia does have nuclear warfare, what are the chances of getting a Nuclear blast soon?
---...---

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:55 pm

with all hopes the only nuclear blasts will be the record company and simulated for films. its hilarius how much people are bitching about the indiana jones scene. snobby anal retentiveness at it's best.

miditek

Post by miditek » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:27 pm

AGAG wrote:I see... So this is just the beginning... Russia does have nuclear warfare, what are the chances of getting a Nuclear blast soon?
Believe me when I say that I hope that it will never come to nuclear war, although I must say that at least some nuclear exchanges are probably unavoidable.

This is only my own hypothesis, but I suspect that the first round of (nuclear) strikes could quite possibly come from Israel by way of the JDAM satellite guided bombs that were purchased from the US.

While the standard series of these weapons have conventional warheads, many military analysts have written that even these sophisticated munitions may not have sufficient penetrating power to knock out some of the Iranian nuclear assets that are buried deep at Bushrer and the surrounding areas, and that the JDAM bombs may need to be rearmed with tactical nuclear warheads- in order to ensure that the intended targets are completely destroyed.

Of course, such attacks would also kill scores of Russian atomic scientists and engineers, and certainly could put Israel directly into Russia's crosshairs, as it were.

I believe that the next possible round of attacks could be initiated against American- by radical Islamic terror cells supported by Tehran itself, in retaliation for Washington's support of Israel. This would be a "nuclear 9/11" of sorts, with the prime targets being downtown Washington, Wall Street in New York, Langley Virginia (CIA headquarters), in addition to the port of Los Angeles. Delivery methods are variable, although they could include manual or remote detonation of the "suitcase" type of portable nuclear devices, or even Scud C series ballistic missiles launched by oil tanker/container type ships a hundred or two hundred nautical miles off the coastline of the United States.

These attacks, of course, would be synchronized, and intended to have a "decapitation" type of effect, by destroying both the government, as well as our financial centers. It is not possible for these enemies to completely destroy the country, but that is not their plan- what they would try to do is to "cut the head off of the snake", so to speak. Any country that was to launch overt ICBM (Intercontinental Ballistic Missile Attacks) at the US would certainly be destroyed be counterstrikes from the US Navy's submarine-based ICBM deterrent forces.

How does all of this bode for Georgia? It's too difficult to tell- Poland had been threatened by Russia, and just now, I have read a news story where the Ukraine has also offered to allow radar sites to be installed in their country as well. I am sure that Putin must be enraged at that news, but invading Ukraine would certainly be a bit more of a challenge than Georgia, as I am sure that the Ukrainians would likely put up much more significant resistance that what Georgia could offer.

None of this looks very good for the near future. In other words, the Russian bear is back.
Κύριε ἐλέησον

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:28 am

@miditek, what very informative posts! :bigok: But, also very scarey, it seems Biblical prophecy will fulfill itself someday. And, those of us that understand, will know, and say, "this is it."

I recommend a movie, "The Day After". Although the movie is about all-out nuclear war with Russia, its theme is very relevant.

It would probably be simpler than we all want to admit for someone to create&detonate a dirty-bomb of some sort and use it as a blackmail, or a threat. Before 9/11, no one thought it was possible for 2 planes to dive into towers purposely, either. ;)

"Dirty Bombs" - Council on Foreign Relations
http://www.cfr.org/publication/9548/

We are living in perilous times, and although history has seen many, many dangerous times, we are living in an age where it is possible for mankind to destroy himself---and THAT is where the difference lies!

Oppenheimer, one of the founding fathers of the Atomic bomb said, "I am Death, the destroyer of worlds."
How profound&eeriely prophetic his words are.

black death

Post by black death » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:02 pm

R.F. wrote:
black death wrote:
Is that important?
Yes! :wink:

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:54 pm

Actually, another way that "the enemy" might attack USA is an EMP attack. This is accomplished by expoding a relatively low-kiloton atomic bomb high in the atmosphere. This would disrupt anything electrical, or ran by any kind of chip. Cars, computers, and appliances would be gone. The area attacked by these EMP weapons would be thrust back into the stone age. It would be like living in the 1800s again.
"The enemy" would find this to an advantage. There would be no carnage, no destuction of infastructure, and the environment would not be harmed, no radiatin to deal with.
The question remains unknown about how wide an area an EMP bomb would effect. If individual bombs exploded over Washington DC, NYC, and LA simultaneously the results would be financially disasterous. And, if a few more were set off scattered around the country, the nation would collaspe like dominoes. There would be panic, terrible chaos, and extreme anxiety, and you can bet martial law would be implicated across the USA.
Yep, a rogue nation, or even a nation such as Russia would not have to use megaton land bursts of atomic bombs&its resulting destruction to bring this country to its knees. All it needs is to use EMP technolgy, and this land(its people&infastucture) would be theirs for the taking.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:59 am

The area attacked by these EMP weapons would be thrust back into the stone age. It would be like living in the 1800s again.
great comparison.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:52 am

icecab21 wrote:
The area attacked by these EMP weapons would be thrust back into the stone age. It would be like living in the 1800s again.
great comparison.

No electricity. No electric lights, TV, stereo, or radio. No running water or indoor plumbing. No technology. No cars, motorcycles, or motorboats. No trains, buses or modern transport. People would need a good pair of Nikes, or a good horse because thats the way people would travel. It would be like living in the stone age compared to now. More like 1800s because in stone age people lived in caves, of course. But, very few people today could tolerate the sacrifice, and doing without of all modern convieniences. It would be like a primitive camping trip without end. Joke about it if you want, but it won't be so funny if such an event happens. One good thing my Ex-husband taught me is to be a survivalist because he was part of that movement. The skills he taught me will help me IF such a catastrophic event happens because not many people take the possibility of events occurring like that seriously. And, those who do take it serious will have to deal with the aftermath caused by people who thought apocalyptic events were one big joke.
It always pays to be prepared.

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:56 am

Well while watching the start of a possible apocalipse I think it's a good time to see some sayings that probably foretell our future or at least teach us something:

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
Albert Einstein

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy?"
Mahatma Gandhi

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."
Voltaire

"And perhaps a great day will come, when a people distinguished by war and victory, by the highest development of military organization and intelligence, and accustomed to making the gravest sacrifices to these things, will voluntarily exclaim, “We will break the sword into pieces”—and will demolish its entire military machine down to its deepest foundations. To disarm while being the best armed, as an expression of elevated feelings—that is the means to real peace, which must always rest on a disposition toward peace: whereas so-called “armed peace,” such as the one that parades around in every country nowadays, is a disposition toward hostility which trusts neither itself nor its neighbor and, partly out of hatred, partly out of fear, refuses to put down its weapons."
Friedrich Nietzsche
---...---

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:58 am

Good informative links about EMP Bombs.

http://www.unitedstatesaction.com/emp-terror.htm
http://www.hempbomb.com

I would not worry about an apocalypse coming any time soon, but the signs of a future making of one are there, and have been present for many years. Just take each day as it presents itself, live each day to the fullest, and be as happy as possible. Plan for the future, and hope for tomorrow. I may not see very hard times like this in my lifetime, but I think my son and his children will really see some things in their lifetimes. I mean, I don't think I want to know. I can remember when gasoline was .25 cents a gallon, bread was .20 cents a loaf, and colas were a nickel. Ground beef was .29 cents a pound everyday, and banana were .9 cents a pound, peanut butter was .30 cents a jar, and eggs, 4 dozen for$1.00. (Now you know why Elvis loved PB&banana sandwiches--they were a poor persons delicacy back then). The point is, in just 30 years the price of everything has skyrocketed, and keeps going up. When I was 10 years old, a good pair of shoes cost $10.00, when my son was 10, they were $50-60, when my son's child is ten, what will a pair of good shoes be? At least, 100 bucks or more&I'm not talking designer, I'm talking about just good basic shoes.
So, the future is something to wonder about. I hope mankind can work together&solve its problems, but Greed, Egoism&Vanity always seem to shake it all up.
I forsee OIL as the big blackmail chip in terms of relationships between many nations. Nothing good is going to come from that, but hopefully people can learn from the mistakes of history and not repeat them.

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:14 am

BEG, maybe after the Oil runs out people will start to see thing clearly...
---...---

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:02 am

Well icecab, I think we're a little spoiled with our technology thingies so a change wouldn't be that bad... a "return to the roots" kind of thing.
---...---

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:12 am

I'm glad the Amish were mentioned because there is an Amish community of about 2,000 people 30 miles North of where I live. Good, hardworking friendly people who dedicate themselves to God, and family.
The difference, a BIG difference, is that the Amish live the back-to-basics lifestyle from birth, but most of us have not had that advantage. So, it would take a big adjustment for lots of people to get used to it.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:22 am

Technology is like beer... the cause and solution to all life's problems.

Of course people can actually depend on technology to live, and beer just can't compete with that.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:26 am

browneyedgirl wrote: The difference, a BIG difference, is that the Amish live the back-to-basics lifestyle from birth, but most of us have not had that advantage. So, it would take a big adjustment for lots of people to get used to it.
I once read an article by someone who changed their life and moved over to an Amish lifestyle. They found it fulfiling, but it was a very difficult transition.

Essentially, if they have access to good medical care, what else would you really need?

Okay, I'd be pretty lost without the means to listen to music, or indeed play electric instruments :lol:
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!