My religion is better than your religion!

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
JensJohansson
Administrator
My religion is better than your religion!

Post by JensJohansson » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:01 pm

<embed src="http://images.video.msn.com/flash/soapbox1_1.swf" width="432" height="364" id="s20jrlgs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" pluginspage="http://macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" flashvars="c=v&v=0bb6a07c-c829-4562-8375-49e6693810c7&ifs=true&fr=msnvideo&mkt=en-US"></embed>

APPLE CORPORATION AND MACINTOSH, EAT MY ASS :lol:

NeverendingAbyss

Re: My religion is better than your religion!

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:28 pm

Definitely something Best Buy would [not] do...

But if you sum guarantees and fees, it will be over $1000
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch?!

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:31 pm

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:59 pm

I have something to say:

---...---

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:03 pm

Well, many students here in Canada buy MacBooks because it's the "cool" thing to do; they make you look more affluent and prestigious.
I don't care much for MacBooks, but I can't say I'm a Windows lover. Conclusion, I have a $600 HP Pavilion laptop but have replaced Vista with Linux Ubuntu 8.10. :) No Windows, no Mac. Linux is the way to go: no viruses, no adware, no spyware, free software, open-source, oh and yes, Ubuntu itself is free. :)
If irony were made of strawberries, we'd all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now.

NordicStorm

Post by NordicStorm » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:30 am

I don't have any particular dislike for Windows, but I have a gnawing suspicion that Vista was, in fact, written by Satan.
Sure, it looks all nice and shiny at a first glance, but using it will condemn your soul to be forever charred by the fires of damnation. And as if eternal damnation wasn't bad enough, every five minutes an anthropomorphic paperclip will show up and ask you stupid questions.

Now, Amiga Workbench 1.3, that's the stuff ;)
Give me liberty, or give me cake!

Lightyear

Post by Lightyear » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:47 am

I use Ubuntu Linux for all the "important" stuff, but I also have Windows as it is essential for games.. :D (I hate consoles)

<rant>
Ok, I'm ranting because I'm really pissed off at the Mac fans who just bash Windows blindly all the time. I always get into a bloody (well, not literally) argument with them. Never used Mac before, it's just useless for me, I get all the functionality I want with Linux, and I can play games on Windows. I don't know why so many people defend Mac like their life depends on it, and what the hell is up with the one buttoned mouse.. huh ?? :lol:
</rant>

NordicStorm: I agree about Vista, it is in fact a product of Satan himself, one of his best achievements so far. I had to contact Microsoft "Support" just to install SP1, and the support guy was scratching his head for about an hour before offering any real help.
Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel
is just a freight train coming your way

miditek

Post by miditek » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:48 am

Pavilion? Yikes! I'm not really a fan of consumer grade laptops or desktops, for that matter. My friends Sudki and Nizar own a local repair shop, and repairing HP Pavilions, CPQ Presario, etc. keep them in business.

Probably a better deal than a Mac, as the hardware in both Windows and Macs are now essentially identical. Cracks abound for running OSX on various PC desktops and laptops. :lol:

My work laptop is a Dell Latitude D830 running OpenSUSE 11, desktop is a Dell Optiplex 755 running XP. I think Vista is a bloated piece of junk, but some of the other guys at the office have had good luck running Windows 7 betas inside of their VM toys- one of which, oddly enough, is running VMWare Server on a McBook. ;)

At home I have a collection of corporate grade Dell, Compaq, and other stuff running various revs of Windows and Linux. I even have some older Macs laying around, but don't use them anymore.

I'm thinking about loading MUSE on one of my NIX systems to play with, and may post a review of it on my myspace page.

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2005/05/1 ... uencerdaw/

One advantage of SUSE is that it sports the very cool YAST administration tool, which makes loading RPMS and applying patches and the like much easier, although I will admit I do work with people that have a rather high threshold for "RPM and compiling pain", often getting seven or eight layers deep into the entire dependency thing, and getting really side tracked trying to load even moderately simple applications.

Here's an old ad from the days when Cupertino was outsourcing the manufacturing of Mac Book power supplies to the Taliban-

&#922;&#973;&#961;&#953;&#949; &#7952;&#955;&#941;&#951;&#963;&#959;&#957;

JensJohansson
Administrator

Post by JensJohansson » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 am

Damn, I forgot supercollider is open source now. That would be something to get into again. I played around with a demo version on a mac, ages ago.

NightScreamer

Post by NightScreamer » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:37 am

im writing this on a mac mini :twisted:

@lightyear the mouse actually has 4 buttons it just looks like one:

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:29 pm

I'm using WIndows XP and I have no problems.

eagledreamr

Post by eagledreamr » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:55 pm

Ragehead91 wrote:I'm using WIndows XP and I have no problems.
Same here.
I just hate Vista.

But for me it's more simple and less expensive to use a PC than a MAC.
I have no complaints about my laptop.
Life's to short to cry
Long enough to try

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:34 pm

XP FTW!

[Not really...]
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch?!

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:01 pm

miditek wrote:Pavilion? Yikes! I'm not really a fan of consumer grade laptops or desktops, for that matter. My friends Sudki and Nizar own a local repair shop, and repairing HP Pavilions, CPQ Presario, etc. keep them in business.

My work laptop is a Dell Latitude D830 running OpenSUSE 11, desktop is a Dell Optiplex 755 running XP.
I wanted to buy a Toshiba Satellite, but they only had a model with a 17 inch monitor (too big for a laptop). Under normal circumstances, I could have waited for a Toshiba, but I needed a laptop right away because my desktop had died without warning and I had to write two essays and hand them in three days later. In any case, I had no problems with my Pavilion. You have to consider the fact that some people have no clue what they are doing with their computers and don't know how to check or remove viruses, spyware, adware, clean the hard drive and the registry, defragment the disk, etc. (you don't have to worry about any of the above in Linux :D). Oh and in case you are wondering about my desktop, the hard drive died simply because it had completed its lifetime, not because I screwed up. :D The magnetic tape had served its purpose for many years!
Btw, Dell is not exactly a better choice than Pavilion... They put together different pieces of hardware from different manufacturers. Ok, maybe you have an expensive Dell, but still, an expensive Pavilion can't be worse than an expensive Dell.

Time to spread my religion:

If irony were made of strawberries, we'd all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:34 am

eagledreamr wrote:
Same here.
I just hate Vista.
Me too. I have it on my lat-top and I can't even delet it. I tried to delet Vista and to install XP. But it fucked up my whole PC. I had to re-install this Vista piece of shit.

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:06 am

Ragehead91 wrote:
eagledreamr wrote:
Same here.
I just hate Vista.
Me too. I have it on my lat-top and I can't even delet it. I tried to delet Vista and to install XP. But it fucked up my whole PC. I had to re-install this Vista piece of shit.
Well, there you go. I had Vista when I decided to install Ubuntu. The installation process formats your hard drive, so it deletes Vista and everything else. I simply put backup copies of the files I wanted on my external hard drive.
The transition from Vista to Ubuntu worked flawlessly. 8)

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:47 am

Stealth wrote:
Ragehead91 wrote:
eagledreamr wrote:
Same here.
I just hate Vista.
Well, there you go. I had Vista when I decided to install Ubuntu. The installation process formats your hard drive, so it deletes Vista and everything else. I simply put backup copies of the files I wanted on my external hard drive.
I know how this works. I could install XP but it would crash all the time and nothing would work. So I had to reinstall Vista.

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:14 am

Reinstall the dual layer blue ray dvd labeled 'outside'. :wink:

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:27 am

Ragehead91 wrote:
Stealth wrote:
Ragehead91 wrote:
eagledreamr wrote:
Same here.
I just hate Vista.
I know how this works. I could install XP but it would crash all the time and nothing would work. So I had to reinstall Vista.
I'm not too sure whether you tried to delete Vista or did a clean installation. Doesn't matter, the point is you know how it works but Windows still fucks things up. I had to do the same thing you did when I got rid of my Vista, only I had no problems.

@robocop656: United States of Christ? WTF?!?

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:45 am

Stealth wrote:
Ragehead91 wrote:
Stealth wrote:
Ragehead91 wrote:
eagledreamr wrote:
Same here.
I just hate Vista.
I'm not too sure whether you tried to delete Vista or did a clean installation. Doesn't matter, the point is you know how it works but Windows still fucks things up. I had to do the same thing you did when I got rid of my Vista, only I had no problems.
I did a clean installation . But yeah, it works and Windows still fucks things up.

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:18 am

Stealth wrote: @robocop656: United States of Christ? WTF?!?
Here in the states there is a overwhelming amount of christian influence everyday. That's what it means.. :D
I'm apologizing about that picture, as for myself....leaving the house is maybe a bi-weekly ritual. :lol:

miditek

Post by miditek » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:44 am

Ragehead91 wrote:
eagledreamr wrote:
Same here.
I just hate Vista.
Some boot sector viruses, such as Windows Vista itself, can be rather stubborn when it comes to wiping your MBR (Master Boot Record)- so different utilities are often required- such as a low level format. ;)

Lots of Linux ISO distributions have utilities to do this, but then again, so do a lot of disk manufacturers.

This is a link to a page with plenty of OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) disk formatting utilities. FDISK and other M$FT stuff probably won't kill Vista completely, and allow you to downgrade (if that's what M$FT wishes to call it!) to XP.

Also make sure that you have XP drivers for your hardware- and most PC's will have these.

Let me know if you want to - nuke and pave Vista!

http://www.ariolic.com/activesmart/low- ... ormat.html

JensJohansson
Administrator

Post by JensJohansson » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:31 am

miditek wrote: Let me know if you want to - nuke and pave Vista!
I think I posted this before here, but this is the kind of low level format utility I'd like to have:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQYPCPB1g3o

:lol:

Keyssion

Post by Keyssion » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:47 pm

JensJohansson wrote:
miditek wrote: Let me know if you want to - nuke and pave Vista!
I think I posted this before here, but this is the kind of low level format utility I'd like to have:

Darn that thing is cool :D True low-level formatting. Would be fun to try what that could shred :D

Crazyniel

Post by Crazyniel » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:09 am

I'm just help some people maintaining their pcs.
Well, 'bout two or more people that bought notebooks with linux or someother systems (not windows), asked to put the windows system in their notebooks. Almost notebooks with non-windows os are blocked to format the system to microsoft, and that guys were insatisfied with the product 'cause some softwares doesn't work on non-microsoft os.

It's my opnion 'bout mac and linux.

Linux is good for business net and mac for jornalists....XD

miditek

Post by miditek » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:42 am

miditek wrote:Pavilion? Yikes! I'm not really a fan of consumer grade laptops or desktops, for that matter. My friends Sudki and Nizar own a local repair shop, and repairing HP Pavilions, CPQ Presario, etc. keep them in business.

My work laptop is a Dell Latitude D830 running OpenSUSE 11, desktop is a Dell Optiplex 755 running XP.
Stealth wrote:I wanted to buy a Toshiba Satellite, but they only had a model with a 17 inch monitor (too big for a laptop). Under normal circumstances, I could have waited for a Toshiba, but I needed a laptop right away because my desktop had died without warning and I had to write two essays and hand them in three days later.

That sucks, I hate it when a machine decides to kick the bucket, and it never seems to happen at a convenient time- if there is such a thing as a convenient time for a computer to croak.

Stealth wrote:In any case, I had no problems with my Pavilion.
That is good news- and I do wish you well with the new system. My opinions on consumer class vs. corporate class machines is based on years of experience, though. I'm not very fond of clones either- but this is from a business, rather than personal use, vantage point. Occasionally, a buyer can luck out and get good use with a consumer (Pavilion, Presario, etc.) system, but there are a lot of repair shops here in my city that having very busy service departments filled with systems that the Geek Squad at Best Buy could not fix. :lol:
Stealth wrote: You have to consider the fact that some people have no clue what they are doing with their computers and don't know how to check or remove viruses, spyware, adware, clean the hard drive and the registry, defragment the disk, etc. (you don't have to worry about any of the above in Linux :D).
That is correct. However, since you're running a NIX based system, you most likely are much more technically savvy than the average person that is purchasing a Vista-loaded laptop at Circuit City. ;)

NIX is not for the masses, though- not at all. Generally speaking, the masses don't even have a clue of where they saved the file that they just downloaded on a Windows box, - even though it's probably under c:\My Documents so...

Just trying to get ma or pa to find their favorite spaghetti recipe that they just inadvertently saved to /var/logs/ or- gasp actually get it right and save it to /home/user/documents (although they still can't find it), and then the resident expert son (or daughter) trying to explain the finer points of KDE or Gnome could get really interesting- particularly during a phone call when you're hundreds miles from home. :lol:
Stealth wrote:Oh and in case you are wondering about my desktop, the hard drive died simply because it had completed its lifetime, not because I screwed up. :D The magnetic tape had served its purpose for many years!
Storage manufacturers' marketing departments love to toss around numbers like 30,000 hours MTBF (Mean Time Before Failure), which translates to roughly 3.42 years, or .42 years after the typical three year warranty on the disk runs out! :?
Stealth wrote:Btw, Dell is not exactly a better choice than Pavilion... They put together different pieces of hardware from different manufacturers. Ok, maybe you have an expensive Dell, but still, an expensive Pavilion can't be worse than an expensive Dell.
Well, most computer manufacturers are very similar in the fact that they are essentially system builders- or assemblers, if you will. Dell, IBM, and HP certainly make their own motherboards, but that's essentially where the actual manufacturing ends.

I suppose that I prefer Dell's motherboards then for laptops and desktops- and probably prefer IBM for servers.

So yeah, none of these guys make their own processors- they come either from Intel or in some cases, AMD. The memory sticks probably come from Micron, Hyundai, Siemens, or Crucial. Hard disks from Seagate, Western Digital, or Quantum.
JensJohansson wrote:I think I posted this before here, but this is the kind of low level format utility I'd like to have:

"Impressive! Most impressive!"

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:27 pm

Vader Dog! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:01 pm

Stealth wrote:

I wanted to buy a Toshiba Satellite, but they only had a model with a 17 inch monitor (too big for a laptop). Under normal circumstances, I could have waited for a Toshiba, but I needed a laptop right away because my desktop had died without warning and I had to write two essays and hand them in three days later. In any case, I had no problems with my Pavilion. You have to consider the fact that some people have no clue what they are doing with their computers and don't know how to check or remove viruses, spyware, adware, clean the hard drive and the registry, defragment the disk, etc. (you don't have to worry about any of the above in Linux :D). Oh and in case you are wondering about my desktop, the hard drive died simply because it had completed its lifetime, not because I screwed up. :D The magnetic tape had served its purpose for many years!
Btw, Dell is not exactly a better choice than Pavilion... They put together different pieces of hardware from different manufacturers. Ok, maybe you have an expensive Dell, but still, an expensive Pavilion can't be worse than an expensive Dell.

Time to spread my religion:

Linux? Sorry, I'm not into Pokemon anymore.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:50 pm

What the hell has Linux to to with Pokemon?

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:26 pm

Ragehead91 wrote:What the hell has Linux to to with Pokemon?
:lol: Thank you, I was wondering the same thing.