METALLICA Was Planning To Fire LARS ULRICH Before Cliff died

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
Ragehead91
METALLICA Was Planning To Fire LARS ULRICH Before Cliff died

Post by Ragehead91 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:10 am

At least Dave Mustaine says so...
DAVE MUSTAINE: METALLICA Was Planning To Fire LARS ULRICH Before CLIFF BURTON Died - July 29, 2009
Greg Prato of RollingStone.com recently conducted an interview with MEGADETH mainman Dave Mustaine. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

RollingStone.com: "Endgame" is certainly one of MEGADETH's most riff-heavy releases.

Mustaine: Making this record, there was a lot of different facets. When I was writing this, I had a lot of material that I had saved over the years, and a lot of stuff that had been really fast, riffy, and exciting, but just not as melodic as where we were during the '90s. I was assembling the songs and thinking about the possibilities of Shawn [Drover, drums]. When we got in here to start doing a record, I was thinking, "God, these guys have so much potential, what are we going to do?" And I started to really push the envelope, and write songs that were really super aggressive, and had a lot of guitar playing. It was almost self-indulgent with the guitar soloing. I realized, "Dave, you're not a guitar player for making songs for the radio. You had a couple of songs that you were successful with the radio, but that ain't your style, come on."

RollingStone.com: To set the record straight, did you or original MEGADETH bassist Dave Ellefson write the bass line to "Peace Sells"?

Mustaine: Me.

RollingStone.com: What do you remember about the writing of that song?

Mustaine: I was homeless at the time, and I was living in a rehearsal place in Vernon, California. I was seeing a girl, Diana — there were a lot of songs I wrote about her. I actually wrote the lyrics to that song on the wall, in that building. I didn't have any paper in the studio, but I had a Sharpie, so I just wrote on the wall. Whoever inherited our rehearsal room after I moved out, saw the original lyrics to "Peace Sells" on the wall. They probably painted right over it and didn't even know it.

RollingStone.com: As far as you know, is it true that on the last METALLICA tour Cliff Burton was on before he died, the band was planning on firing Lars Ulrich at the tour's end?

Mustaine: That's what Scott [Ian, ANTHRAX guitarist] told me. He said that when METALLICA got home, that James [Hetfield], Cliff [Burton] and Kirk [Hammett] were going to fire Lars.

Read more at RollingStone.com.

browneyedgirl

Re: METALLICA Was Planning To Fire LARS ULRICH Before Cliff died

Post by browneyedgirl » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:44 am

Man, this was along time ago why should anybody give a fuck! :roll:

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:50 am

I dunno, ask Mustaine and the guy who did the interview :lol:

lalodrums2

Post by lalodrums2 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:53 am

I think it's interesting, because maybe without lars they wouldn't be where they are now. Cool, thanks Ragehead.

Babylon

Post by Babylon » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:16 am

browneyedgirl wrote:Man, this was along time ago why should anybody give a fuck! :roll:
Exactly.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:52 am

Ian kicks back:
ANTHRAX Guitarist Denies He Told MUSTAINE That METALLICA Wanted To Fire ULRICH - July 29, 2009
According to a short message that was just posted on ANTHRAX's official Twitter account, MEGADETH mainman Dave Mustaine's claim that ANTHRAX guitarist Scott Ian told Dave that METALLICA was planning on firing drummer Lars Ulrich in 1986 is "not true." The post adds, "Little does anyone know but Lars actually owns the [METALLICA] name. Good luck ever kicking him out."

JensJohansson
Administrator

Post by JensJohansson » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:27 am

browneyedgirl wrote:Man, this was along time ago why should anybody give a fuck! :roll:
Well, there's some "Dave" guy whose voice sounds like an angry Smurf™ and who has a new record coming soon on Roadrunner. So, naturally, the intelligent thing to do in the interview cycle is to hallucinate some facts about Metallica and the 80s and then have them refuted and look like the total fucking idiot you are...

Oh and BTW it was Harmony Smurf™ who wrote the bass riff to that song! I ate some strange looking mushrooms and then a cloud sang this to me.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:05 am

Well, there's some "Dave" guy whose voice sounds like an angry Smurf™ and who has a new record coming soon on Roadrunner. So, naturally, the intelligent thing to do in the interview cycle is to hallucinate some facts about Metallica and the 80s and then have them refuted and look like the total fucking idiot you are...

Oh and BTW it was Harmony Smurf™ who wrote the bass riff to that song! I ate some strange looking mushrooms and then a cloud sang this to me.
win!!!

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:38 am

Marketing. Dave saying anything about Metallica will get attention.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

Arkash

Post by Arkash » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:24 pm

Is it me or is he still angry for having been fired of the band?

Well, whatever, he maybe angry and childy, but he's a great musician, so, well......it's a little bit like Varg Vikernes, well, same kind of thing: Varg is a total jerk but nobody can deny that is an awesome musician, so music first, personality second, even if a good personality helps a lot, eh?!
Through the storms we've wandered
Many mountains we have climbed
But all the bad times are behind
The road is free - I'm coming home

Intiaani
Location:Buried Alive by Jens The Undertaker at Black... SABBATH!

Post by Intiaani » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:57 pm

I think Mustaine is about best entertainment there is. :D

"Back in the day, there were 4 big bands *holds up 4 fingers* Anthrax *puts index down* Slayer *puts pinky down* us *puts ring down* and.....what is the other band? *holding middle finger up* oh yea, Metallica!"

Although sometimes he makes good music too.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:46 pm

Yeah, his grudge against Metallica is stupid. But also very entertaining.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:53 pm

I like Megadeths music but Mustaine's "sour grapes" are not pretty! :buh: Dave has done very well, my goodness he should be very grateful for what life has gifted him with! Maybe his continuing complaining is just a marketing ploy, but its a silly one, IMO. :D

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:57 pm

But a entertaining one :lol:

Burning Reflection

Post by Burning Reflection » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:18 pm

JensJohansson wrote:

I don't agree with this at all. First of all, saying that Dave sounds like an angry smurf is like the same as TT calling TK a rooster. Not to say that it's true, but seeing how Dave is also a first hand source I would believe his words more than a secondary source saying he is "hallucinating". Who knows, maybe the interviewer prompted the question as it is for Rolling Stone right? Not only that, but the interviews' continuity looks fucked up. So what if he was on drugs when he wrote that bass line? There have been tons of great music by people that were on drugs and it doesn't take away from the fact of their music's impact and significance. And here we are talking about what this "idiot" is saying...who is actually the fool here?

I'm sure you have had your share of experiences in the industry and you probably know a shit load more about marketing and such than I do, but it sounds like you have a problem with Dave, a personal problem with his vocals and what he says. Even if he does say some retarded shit sometimes, doesn't mean you can't put it aside and enjoy the music. Holy hell, I still listen to Stratovarius even after all the bullshit :wink:

I hate this righteous attitude in metal, it's like the same thing as the singer/lead guitarist Schimmer from Destruction with his personal opinion about how power metal is not real metal..."they should call it kindergarten or flower metal" Whether it be TK's vocals, Schimmer's or Dave's, they all bring something unique to metal and arrogance doesn't determine whether somebody is "better" than someone or not. I think I'll stick to listening to both the smurf and the rooster and maybe eating some mushrooms too without judgment or ridicule.

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:01 am

Burning Reflection wrote:I hate this righteous attitude in metal, it's like the same thing as the singer/lead guitarist Schimmer from Destruction with his personal opinion about how power metal is not real metal..."they should call it kindergarten or flower metal"
I always found comments like these funny, because of all the countless subgenres, power metal is arguably the most loyal to style of the three big ones, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath.

JensJohansson
Administrator

Post by JensJohansson » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:05 am

Burning Reflection wrote:I don't agree with this at all. First of all, saying that Dave sounds like an angry smurf is like the same as TT calling TK a rooster. Not to say that it's true, but seeing how Dave is also a first hand source I would believe his words more than a secondary source saying he is "hallucinating". Who knows, maybe the interviewer prompted the question as it is for Rolling Stone right? Not only that, but the interviews' continuity looks fucked up. So what if he was on drugs when he wrote that bass line? There have been tons of great music by people that were on drugs and it doesn't take away from the fact of their music's impact and significance. And here we are talking about what this "idiot" is saying...who is actually the fool here?

I'm sure you have had your share of experiences in the industry and you probably know a shit load more about marketing and such than I do, but it sounds like you have a problem with Dave, a personal problem with his vocals and what he says. Even if he does say some retarded shit sometimes, doesn't mean you can't put it aside and enjoy the music. Holy hell, I still listen to Stratovarius even after all the bullshit :wink:

I hate this righteous attitude in metal, it's like the same thing as the singer/lead guitarist Schimmer from Destruction with his personal opinion about how power metal is not real metal..."they should call it kindergarten or flower metal" Whether it be TK's vocals, Schimmer's or Dave's, they all bring something unique to metal and arrogance doesn't determine whether somebody is "better" than someone or not. I think I'll stick to listening to both the smurf and the rooster and maybe eating some mushrooms too without judgment or ridicule.
But the cloud really did tell me it was Harmony Smurf™ ? :lol:

I don't myself consider the possibility that I am truly a fool just because I dislike someone's singing or (what I see as) short-sighted marketing fibs.

Of course you are free to disagree, it's not that. You probably like Megadeth and Dave's voice, or something like that.

To me he sounds... like a chipmunk who is trying to sound really evil. I agree it's something unique!! It's as unique as, say, me dipping a rusty screwdriver in salt and poking one of my ear drums out.

God damn it, the literary world is missing a music critic in me, the same way that a village somewhere is an idiot short.... i should go into music criticism and village idiocy! :lol:

Well anyway regarding secondary or firsthand source, I would contend that Scott Ian is a first hand source regarding "what Scott Ian said". But maybe I'm mincing words.. or mincing smurfs.. or splitting hairs.. or something.

I know the Metallica guys a little bit from bumping in to them over the years.

I have met Dave M as well at some point in time but never talked to him. As to what kind of person he is I can only guess from whatever public behavior of his that has registered in my brain, and whatever anecdotes I have heard...

BTW did TT call TK a rooster somewhere or was that just some example?

Florian

Post by Florian » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:07 am

To me, Dave sounds like a duck :lol:

miditek

Post by miditek » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:06 am

I ate some strange looking mushrooms and then a cloud sang this to me.
:lol:

I've eaten a few of those back in the day, but am simply far too old to eat them now.

Last time I consumed Psilocybin, a crazy pregnant bitch came in and smacked me instead of her husband, and he was tripping worse than I. :D

Κύριε ἐλέησον

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:52 am

@Jens, :lol: TT did indeed call TK a rooster(I guess accusing him of struting proudly or something), back during the 2004 band chaos period.
:lol: I think someone ;) posted a Golden Polish rooster in reply, which is one of the showiest, most beautiful chicken varieties. :D

Off topic, but I just wanted to reply that really happened! :D

Babylon

Post by Babylon » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:06 am

Mustaine's written some great songs, but sometimes he just needs to keep his mouth shut.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:49 am

Mormegil wrote:
Burning Reflection wrote:I hate this righteous attitude in metal, it's like the same thing as the singer/lead guitarist Schimmer from Destruction with his personal opinion about how power metal is not real metal..."they should call it kindergarten or flower metal"
I always found comments like these funny, because of all the countless subgenres, power metal is arguably the most loyal to style of the three big ones, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath.
Agreed. I like Destruction and Headhunter, but Schmier really can be a dick. Also, if he dislikes Power Metal so much, why was a part of the "Nuclear Blast: Into the Light" Sampler, a sampler which was, apart from his song, completely made up of Power Metal written by Victor Smolski?

miditek

Post by miditek » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:15 pm

Mustaine is a great guitarist and a good songwriter, but I never particularly cared for his voice, or Hetfield's either. If I had a choice, I would probably prefer King Diamond's falsetto and truly unique power yodeling. :D

As you know, there were some cool thrash/speed metal bands that were coming out of during the eighties, but none of them really had a vocalist that was anything to brag about.
Κύριε ἐλέησον

JensJohansson
Administrator

Post by JensJohansson » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:49 pm

miditek wrote:Mustaine is a great guitarist and a good songwriter, but I never particularly cared for his voice, or Hetfield's either. If I had a choice, I would probably prefer King Diamond's falsetto and truly unique power yodeling. :D
I agree about the songwriting, MD has had some quite cool songs.

I think mustaine also picked some good "lead" guitar players, I liked both Chris Poland and Marty F quite a bit...

LOL @ Psilocybin story .. sounds complicated!!

Burning Reflection

Post by Burning Reflection » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:48 pm

browneyedgirl wrote:@Jens, :lol: TT did indeed call TK a rooster(I guess accusing him of struting proudly or something), back during the 2004 band chaos period.
:lol: I think someone ;) posted a Golden Polish rooster in reply, which is one of the showiest, most beautiful chicken varieties. :D

Off topic, but I just wanted to reply that really happened! :D
Thanks BEG, I couldn't remember the context, but yes Jens, TT did say it!

I hope no offense was taken, I was just trying to get a balanced perspective on the issue... Dave is one of my heroes, but fact is is that you are one of my favorite musicians if not my favorite! You've probably got one of the most impressive discographies in history playing with greats such as Friedman etc and there's no doubt you are influential in metal and know a thing or two about music.

I just wanted to say thanks for being you Jens and letting me be me :)

Arkash

Post by Arkash » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:27 pm

Well, Metallica and Megadeth are both, indeed, amazing (although I prefer Metallica), but none worth the legendary Power Metal bands: Stratovarius, Kamelot, Blind Guardian, Rhapsody, Sonata Arctica, Gamma Ray, Freedom Call, Dark Moor, Symphony X, Manowar...so as long as shit like that doesnt happen in PM, I'm happy, and it's not likely to happen, seing the fucking amazing friendship between those bands, just seing as how many artists from one band participated with others!

So Power Metal rules, so does Symphonic, Folk and Viking!

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:38 pm

Stratovarius: Rest of the Band V.S. Tolkki
Helloween: Kiske V.S. Weiki and the rest of Heavy Metal
Gamma Ray: Weiki V.S. Kai until 1 or 2 years back
Rage: Peavy and Victor V.S. Mike Terrana, Peavy V.S. The Efthimiadis Brothers and Sven Fischer
At Vance: Lenk V.S. Leven
Manowar: DeMayo V.S. Ross the Boss IIRC
Running Wild: Rock'n'Rolf V.S. a lot of Band members
Grave Digger: Boldendahl V.S. Lulis
Primal Fear: The Band V.S. Naumann
Iced Earth: Jon Schaffer also doesn't seem like the most easiest guy to deal with.

Shit also happens in Power Metal.

Arkash

Post by Arkash » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:54 pm

Well, that's good, cause except from Strato, none of them in one of my all time favourite band, except also, maybe Manowar or Gamma Ray...

Blind Guardian and Kamelot are still spared, and they are, with Strato, my top three PM metal bands, with Rhapsody, almost forgotten them!

Babylon

Post by Babylon » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:26 am

Arkash wrote:Well, Metallica and Megadeth are both, indeed, amazing (although I prefer Metallica), but none worth the legendary Power Metal bands: Stratovarius, Kamelot, Blind Guardian, Rhapsody, Sonata Arctica, Gamma Ray, Freedom Call, Dark Moor, Symphony X, Manowar...so as long as shit like that doesnt happen in PM, I'm happy, and it's not likely to happen, seing the fucking amazing friendship between those bands, just seing as how many artists from one band participated with others!

So Power Metal rules, so does Symphonic, Folk and Viking!
I don't think the style of metal has anything to do with it. I mean, I'm sure all bands have problems every now and then, like all friends do. Some are able to leave it behind and move on, maybe continue to be friends after the band breaks up, all depending on the circumstances, of course. Others don't seem to be able to get over things after so many years. Like Mustaine - bringing up this kind of stuff after so long just makes him look like an angry bitter old man...

warrencurrymetal

Post by warrencurrymetal » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:51 am

JensJohansson wrote:
miditek wrote:Mustaine is a great guitarist and a good songwriter, but I never particularly cared for his voice, or Hetfield's either. If I had a choice, I would probably prefer King Diamond's falsetto and truly unique power yodeling. :D
I agree about the songwriting, MD has had some quite cool songs.

I think mustaine also picked some good "lead" guitar players, I liked both Chris Poland and Marty F quite a bit...

LOL @ Psilocybin story .. sounds complicated!!
Chris Broderick is the best yet! Saw him back in Jag Panzer with Helloween in Colorado. WOW! Insane guitar player.