Sammet: The next Avantasia "will surely piss people off

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
Ragehead91
Sammet: The next Avantasia "will surely piss people off

Post by Ragehead91 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:14 pm

EDGUY Frontman Discusses Forthcoming AVANTASIA Album - Aug. 5, 2009
EDGUY frontman Tobias Sammet's official web site has been updated with a brand new interview with the singer/songwriter about the forthcoming album from his AVANTASIA project. The question-and-answer session follows below.

Q: Tobias, how are things going in the studio?

Sammet: I am pretty damn busy, there's a lot of work to be done. I've been working on this forthcoming material for more than two years on and off. But the material will be worth the wait. We got quite many songs, and it ranges from epic ballads to metal opera. From pop to hard rock to folk to speed metal. My best friend, who co-wrote the story of "The Metal Opera" back then, just listened to some of the tracks and he said that it will blow people away and enchant AVANTASIA fans and it will surely piss people off.

Q: What do you mean? It will offend people?

Sammet: Well, it always does. It's a tradition for everything I've done. "The Metal Opera" did, because it wasn't fashionable; "The Scarecrow" did because it wasn't fashionable and it wasn't "The Metal Opera". And this one will do as well, 'cause it isn't fashionable, it isn't "The Metal Opera" and it isn't "The Scarecrow". It's just enchanting music. And these days honest and good music is kind of offending to some, that's pretty sick, isn't it? But as long as I get goose bumps hearing majestic music, I do not really care if I am fashionable or not.

Q: Can you reveal some names of the guests who will be included?

Sammet: Of course I could. But, at this point, I don't wanna say too much. I will keep people posted on the website, the countdown is on. We will reveal secret by secret when we feel the time is right.

Q: When can we expect the album to be due?

Sammet: I don't know exactly; there's a ton of work to be done. There'll be some extensive choir sessions to be done. It's not the kind of album you do in a couple of weeks. This whole project is probably the most ambitious I have worked on. I know, I said that about previous albums before, but that being said: You better believe it. I have worked on more than ten albums, and this time the amount and intense of the music is mind-blowing. So, back to the question: I work on it until we are happy with every single syllable and note. I feel this album is the soundtrack to a certain era of my life, so I don't wanna rush. I feel this is going to be a very important album in my career, so I'll take all the time I need.

Q: Any last words for the visitors of TobiasSammet.com?

Sammet: Thanks for your patience, people. I am really enjoying working on that album. I don't want the production to come to an end; that's why I take my time. I hope you bear with me and feel the magic once it's going to be released. I'll put a lot of it in there!
Tobias bent Edguy over and raped it from behind. Can he do it the same with Avantasia too and in the process destroy the last remaining bit of his credibility and reputation of a Power Metal Genious?

Mormegil

Re: Sammet: The next Avantasia "will surely piss people off

Post by Mormegil » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:45 pm

This sucks, I really wanted a carbon copy of the first metal operas.

Seriously, I'll be waiting this with great interest.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:00 pm

I would be happy if they did a carbon copy of the first 2 parts.

nepi

Post by nepi » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:05 pm

sounds awesome! I just cant wait till release!

I loved all Avantasia-albums so far, still listening a lot of 'em, so it will be with the 4th album... certain!

btw ragehead91, take it easy, I almost only read post of you in this forum like "i'm pissed and offended..." show us your funny side too - thx
sincerely, happynepi
you can't kill my dreams
you can't kill my spirit
I was born to be FREE!

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:12 pm

Okay, maybe I am too hasty on this one, maybe I should wait until I hear it. But reading that he has songs ranging from Pop to Folk to Hard Rock to Speed Metal makes me worrie a lot. Whatever happened to the days when the guy wrote genious Power Metal tunes and not pretentious crap. The Scarecrow was, apart from 2 or 3 songs, decent. But after Tinnitus Sanctus I have no expectations for anything made by Sammet. This album killed all his credibility for me.

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:04 pm

:) This is interesting. Avantasia keeps changing style, but it doesn't piss ME off. It's a project so I guess it can change like the seasons. :roll:
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch?!

nepi

Post by nepi » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:12 pm

popsongs like lost in space are not necessarily bad, i just skip it when i'm not in the mood to listen at (and it's quite often honestly)

also like scarecrow, it's very good imo, cant see what so bad about it? well yeah, there are some changes, but every band changes a bit thru times...
you can't kill my dreams
you can't kill my spirit
I was born to be FREE!

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:00 pm

As I said, Scarecrow was good apart from one or two songs (Those 2 horrible Pop Songs Lost in Space and Carry Me Over Mainly). I just hate to see how Sammet keeps doing everything else but Power Metal. Power Metal was what made him big and not this pretentious crap. What was so bad about Avantasia and Edguy just being Power Metal? Why change a winning formular? Okay, I'm more pissed of about the recent changes in Edguy, but I'm scared that after driving his main-band agains the wall with high-speed he'll do the same with Avantasia.

Intiaani
Location:Buried Alive by Jens The Undertaker at Black... SABBATH!

Post by Intiaani » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:49 pm

You freaking purist! For me Sammet is all but giving up his somewhat questionable "Power Metal Genius" status: he's proving he can do more!
Q: What do you mean? It will offend people?

Sammet: Well, it always does. It's a tradition for everything I've done. "The Metal Opera" did, because it wasn't fashionable; "The Scarecrow" did because it wasn't fashionable and it wasn't "The Metal Opera". And this one will do as well, 'cause it isn't fashionable, it isn't "The Metal Opera" and it isn't "The Scarecrow".
^ This is so exciting. I can't wait for it now! :D Luckily I don't by any means have a limited music taste. ^^ It just makes me appreciate very versatile musicians more. And, so, maybe this isn't even a commercial record? The Scarecrow was already (still being good... The Scarecrow and Shelter of the Rain had to be in top 10 in last year's best songs).
And these days honest and good music is kind of offending to some, that's pretty sick, isn't it?
Yes. We're so into genres. We can't POSSIBLY accept anything outside our favorite genres! :x :x :x Or apparently, some can't. :)

Just read what it says:
But the material will be worth the wait. We got quite many songs, and it ranges from epic ballads to metal opera. From pop to hard rock to folk to speed metal.
And Sammet's all this. So, I don't believe it even can be bad!
But as long as I get goose bumps hearing majestic music, I do not really care if I am fashionable or not.
^_^

According to the interview, Sammet may even be inventing something totally new at the moment. Or at least a neverbeforeheard mix of many (metal) music styles.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:56 pm

I like pop music so i don't need to be a little bitch and throw a hissy fit like rage. Why the fuck would anyone care whether or not ragehead thinks they are credible?

Intiaani

Post by Intiaani » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:08 pm

icecab21 wrote:I like pop music so i don't need to be a little bitch and throw a hissy fit like rage. Why the fuck would anyone care whether or not ragehead thinks they are credible?
For no reason. He just acts bit of a too much like some authority. :)

[no offence!]

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:14 pm

If Sammet wants to turn both of his bands into shitty Pop bands, okay, if this is what he calls "straying true to oneself", okay. I don't like it.

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:30 pm

In the end he will say "fuck it" and will release a grindcore Avantasia album.

I never liked this guy and his bands suck.
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:32 pm

Roses to no one? Sands of time? As if he has not been doing this stuff since the beginning. only perhaps a little gallop and a chug separate the early stuff from rock, its not that big of a difference.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:57 pm

No. Apart from the ballads maybe, his old stuff is completly different from the crap he is doing nowadays. Okay, maybe not that different from Rocket Ride, but completley different from Tinnitus Sanctus. God that album blows.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:14 pm

You should simply not listen to anything he does ever. If you don't like his music, move on and stop moaning about it.

AAAAAAAAAA 2.0

Post by AAAAAAAAAA 2.0 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:33 am

Have you notice the title?
This thread sure pisses Ragehead91 and Icecab off! :lol:
:rotflmao1:

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:28 am

icecab21 wrote:You should simply not listen to anything he does ever. If you don't like his music, move on and stop moaning about it.
I love everything he did until 2004. And The Scarecrow. But the recent 2 Edguy albums are just Crap.

nepi

Post by nepi » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:16 am

then just dont listen to the last 2 albums...

it's clear, every band has its own path to go and every band changes through times, otherwise you'd be bored to stiff and wouldn't buy any more albums.

the only band which did not develop and still is successfull is motörhead :D
you can't kill my dreams
you can't kill my spirit
I was born to be FREE!

Arkash

Post by Arkash » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:07 pm

I personally quite love only one Avantasia song, it's Farewell, otherwise, never been a die hard fan on Sammet...
Through the storms we've wandered
Many mountains we have climbed
But all the bad times are behind
The road is free - I'm coming home

Intiaani

Post by Intiaani » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:45 pm

There's a very thin line between your "love" and "Crap" in music, then. :P And, I don't know if you've noticed: The Scarecrow is "commercial" sounding as heck as well, just as heavy rock/pop as the two newest Edguy albums. :) Hmm, I didn't like Rocket Ride and Tinnitus Sanctus that much either, but wouldn't call them crap anyway. There are also good moments in there, and some good lyrics. They weren't so good I'd buy them anyway, still listenable.

FAREWELL! The waltzy choir chorus and those godly Kiske leads together in the end is one of my favorite music moments ever! <3

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:18 pm

Sorry, but songs like "The Scarecrow", "Another Angel Down", "Shelter from the Rain", "Twisted Mind", "The Toy Master", "Devil in the Belfty", and "I Don't Belive in your love" beat ANY song on both Rocket Ride and Tinnitus Sanctus at ANY day.

Intiaani

Post by Intiaani » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:51 pm

Whereas I think I Don't Believe In Love is one of the worst songs I've ever heard, even though it features one of my big favorite Oliver Hartmann on vocals. It's uninteresting as hell, and even the dull chorus or good lyrics don't save it as music. :( The Scarecrow, Shelter from the Rain, Devil in the Belfry, Another Angel Down, What Kind of Love, Twisted Mind and The Toy Master are at least good, though. :) And on the EPs, there are those great The Story Ain't Over and Promised Land.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:07 pm

Of course, The Scarecrow has its weak spots (Those 2 horrible pop Songs "Carry Me Over" and "Lost in Space" and the horrid "What Kind of Love" (what is this? A Walt Disney movie?)) but overall it is better than anything Sammet released with Edguy since 2005.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:52 pm

2006 Rocket Ride[8] 8 101 50 50 25
2008 Tinnitus Sanctus[9] 28 85 41 50 —

write 2 charting albums and then talk. your ratings are below any critics as well

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:00 pm

Chart Position =/= quality

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:07 pm

Your review is so much lower than any critics. Bad music does not get signed. Bad music does not make the radio. Any music that gets a record deal or is on the radio appeals to a target audiance

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:22 pm

So how could shit like Hannah Montahna and The Jonas Brothers get signed?

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:54 pm

Well what’s bad about it? They play their instruments competently. Those acts are more polished than many metal acts. Whether or not people like the music is a matter of taste, but it's not like these acts are bumming notes all the time and can't keep a rhythm and can't sing in tune. In the least, the acts are good entertainment packages that make lots of money. You can say the music is bad if you want to and all, but you can't deny the commercial force of these acts. Polished performance of "bad" music still means that the musicians did a good job at performing it. The people that are hired for the acts are well trained and are picked from a competitive marketplace.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:01 pm

These guys are only successful because Disney wants them to be successful. Not because of their music. If it wasn't for Disney craming that shit down our throats, they would never be as successful as they are now. That goes for the Jonas plague and Hannah Monthana.