Metal Bands Accused Of Rocking Too Loudly At SWEDEN ROCK

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
Ragehead91
Metal Bands Accused Of Rocking Too Loudly At SWEDEN ROCK

Post by Ragehead91 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:25 pm

Metal Bands Accused Of Rocking Too Loudly At SWEDEN ROCK FESTIVAL

weden Rock Festival wants to penalize several bands — including German power metallers RAGE and Swedish stoner rockers WITCHCRAFT — for playing too loudly!

The festival is being fined 250,000 SEK (around $35,000) by Swedish authorities for noise ordinance violations. According to a report in Aftonbladet, Sweden's largest daily newspaper, Sweden Rock Festival does not want to pay the fine. Instead, it blames five of the acts that played the festival on June 3-6, 2009 in Sölvesborg for violating noise laws during their shows. The groups in question are RAGE, OUTLAWS, WITCHCRAFT, HYSTERICA and TRACE NINE. The festival is considering dumping the fines on the bands, claiming the acts are responsible for the infractions, since they all have their own sound engineers.

WITCHCRAFT's frontman, Magnus Pelander, disputes this. He says his band does not have a soundman and instead used the one that was provided by the festival.

Each band would be fined 50,000 SEK — a approximately $7,000.

"We are not multimillionaires", Pelander told Aftonbladet, saying the fine will pose a great financial burden on the group.

WITCHCRAFT is four-piece, which means that the group would be responsible for paying out nearly $2,000 per band member if such a fine were to be imposed upon them.
The next time Strato plays in Sweden they should watch out for the swedish sound-nazis...

Shurik

Re: Metal Bands Accused Of Rocking Too Loudly At SWEDEN ROCK

Post by Shurik » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:43 pm

WTF?
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:50 pm

Rock bands playing loudly?! What is this world coming to?!
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

shg

Post by shg » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:11 pm

Here in Finland has strict limits on volume of rock concerts. In June Provinssirock Manowar gig was rude at the end when the local environment inspector pulled the wires off the plug because the band played too loud, despite several requests.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:30 pm

Fuck those goes. It is a festival. For the other 362 days of the year this town will be perfectly quite (well, as quite as a town can be). No need to get all pissed about this and fine everyone.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:33 pm

If it ain't pissing people off, then it ain't rock.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

Rage1979

Post by Rage1979 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:15 am

We got this law in Sweden 2006. I haven't actually noticed big differences. But I think it is really silly... though.

shg

Post by shg » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:17 pm

It is the skills of sound engineers stick to what the music sounds like in concert. Necessarily very loud is not the best sound. Is the concert outdoors or indoors also affected.

On the other hand, I understand the volume limitations, so as not to damage your hearing. Loud noise also affects the pressure. I find it uncomfortable if it is too strong. At Startovarius gig, the sound pressure seems appropriately. Pant legs shaking even though I only have been in open-air concerts. So strongly Jörg's drums will play! :)

It would be interesting to know how strong sound comes on stage.

Ikola

Post by Ikola » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:26 am

Since I am from sweden I now after 3 years of this law welcome it warmly since it has changed the music. Concerts being loud as hell and you can barely hear whats being played wasnt too unusual before but now most concerts I go to have really good sound since the technicians can't "fix" bad sound by turning the volume up, they just have to get their bands a good sound from the beginning.

comparison is Megadeth at sweden rock 2005, a good concert but so loud we had to use both earplugs and our hands to not get damaged. There was no chance of listening to the perfectly played songs since it was all drowned in bassdrums and extremely loud guitars. I now saw them in malmö arena during spring 2009 and it was an amazing concert with excellent sound where I could hear everything perfectly without using earplugs at all. I didn't even have the usual "beeeeeeeeep" in my ears the day after =)

Since many ppl seem to think that playing outside should make you be able to have a higher volume due to loss in volume due to winds etc. Well, you don't need to if you use the kind of systems they had at sonisphere festival this summer in hultsfred. Amazing sound with speakers at several locations in the crowd. Really amazing stuff making my ears happy while still hearing everything loud enough.

Babylon

Post by Babylon » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:45 am

Ridiculous!

Arkash

Post by Arkash » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:27 pm

WHAT THE MOTHERUFUCKING FUCK? SCREW THE FUCK OF THEM!

Since I am from sweden I now after 3 years of this law welcome it warmly since it has changed the music. Concerts being loud as hell and you can barely hear whats being played wasnt too unusual before but now most concerts I go to have really good sound since the technicians can't "fix" bad sound by turning the volume up, they just have to get their bands a good sound from the beginning.

comparison is Megadeth at sweden rock 2005, a good concert but so loud we had to use both earplugs and our hands to not get damaged. There was no chance of listening to the perfectly played songs since it was all drowned in bassdrums and extremely loud guitars. I now saw them in malmö arena during spring 2009 and it was an amazing concert with excellent sound where I could hear everything perfectly without using earplugs at all. I didn't even have the usual "beeeeeeeeep" in my ears the day after =)

You are right, but it's fucking stupid to make thrm pay so much, they will destroy the bands doing that, and it's what people want!
Through the storms we've wandered
Many mountains we have climbed
But all the bad times are behind
The road is free - I'm coming home

Intiaani
Location:Buried Alive by Jens The Undertaker at Black... SABBATH!

Post by Intiaani » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:35 pm

Arkash wrote:WHAT THE MOTHERUFUCKING FUCK? SCREW THE FUCK OF THEM!

You are right, but it's fucking stupid to make thrm pay so much, they will destroy the bands doing that, and it's what people want!
Well, most people don't. That's democracy. :(

But are there as many people living near getting irritated than there is audience? Someone should count all of them...
"In Soviet Russia, Stratovarius listens to you!"
- Soviet Russia on Stratovarius

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:10 pm

Picture what would happen if the citizens of Wacken would be that pissy and throw hissy fits when the music gets too loud. :roll:

Intiaani
Location:Buried Alive by Jens The Undertaker at Black... SABBATH!

Post by Intiaani » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:29 pm

Ragehead91 wrote:Picture what would happen if the citizens of Wacken would be that pissy and throw hissy fits when the music gets too loud. :roll:
Nothing? The fans' throw them out. :D

I bet they leave the town in the festival weekend anyway. :P
"In Soviet Russia, Stratovarius listens to you!"
- Soviet Russia on Stratovarius

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:52 pm

True but isn't this a rock concert?

plus I also agree on what's been said on suing the band members, what is that going to accomplish other then bankrupting the band?
metal feeds the beast

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:06 pm

Ikola wrote:Since I am from sweden I now after 3 years of this law welcome it warmly since it has changed the music. Concerts being loud as hell and you can barely hear whats being played wasnt too unusual before but now most concerts I go to have really good sound since the technicians can't "fix" bad sound by turning the volume up, they just have to get their bands a good sound from the beginning.

Since many ppl seem to think that playing outside should make you be able to have a higher volume due to loss in volume due to winds etc. Well, you don't need to if you use the kind of systems they had at sonisphere festival this summer in hultsfred. Amazing sound with speakers at several locations in the crowd. Really amazing stuff making my ears happy while still hearing everything loud enough.
LISTEN TO THIS MAN

I personally hate going to a concert and only being able to hear the bass/bassdrums. I simply can't see any point in it (unless your band is called Manowar). I think most bands are still some 20-30 dB short of playing with too little volume.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:36 pm

I think the organizers should have defined rules about sound that they put in the contracts with the bands. If there was a law that the organizers chose not to enforce in contract, then I think the organizers should pay. If there were guidelines in the contract, then the bands should pay for breaching their contracts. If anything, a loud cover of "I fought the law and the law won" would be appropriate.

Arkash

Post by Arkash » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:11 pm

I personally hate going to a concert and only being able to hear the bass/bassdrums. I simply can't see any point in it (unless your band is called Manowar). I think most bands are still some 20-30 dB short of playing with too little volume.
Agree with that but not with the amount of money the bands have to pay, this is definitly a culture-killing thing!
Through the storms we've wandered
Many mountains we have climbed
But all the bad times are behind
The road is free - I'm coming home

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:06 am

Very true, I agree with Lemmy in the fact that it seems they try to stamp it out every 5 to 10 years
metal feeds the beast

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:52 am

it's one thing if the sound is just on someone’s private property but I kind of do think there should be rules about sound invading the public or other peoples private property without consent. If its just private property around I think the venue should be free to negotiate, and if public, that the public has the right to vote on what is collectively owned. I don’t think we have the right to invade other people's rights in the name of culture. If it’s a simple fee and a band accepts the consequences, go ahead and celebrate. I don't think we can call this something about metal because the same rules apply to everyone. If Britney spears wanted to push it past 11, she too would have to pay. People should definitely have their rights to privately do their own thing, but if sound travels past their privacy. I’m not ready to tell the offended people to just deal with the trespass. I see metal as more of an "I do my thing, you do yours" kind of thing than an "I do what I want for the fuck of it". With the first option people are respectfully agreeing to disagree about how to live their lives, but the second one shows a complete lack of regard for others and turns things wild. Of course I’m not the most metal of people, at least the aggressive side of it.

Mehida

Post by Mehida » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:28 am

I don't think by mulcting the bands with money you can solve something.
But I'm completly agree about this law.
I think the bands should take care about this. Even if the venues where they play are not the best, you can always diminish the bad sound quality.
It would be like the bands showing a bit of respect for their audience too. Seems most of the bands don't care that much, they just play and... thanks for the money.
I share the same thoughts of Icecab, Mormegil and Ikola.

AAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAA » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:38 am

:) Icecab .You are the least metal here. You are a very sensitive person . With secret dreams of Britany and dancing in the moonlight. You are an altarboy and NOT a metalhead and I hope you stay that way... :)

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:47 am

I say if it's loud and it sounds good, crank it up, however if making it loud makes it sound crappy I'm all for turning the volume down a little.
metal feeds the beast

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:01 pm

If the international space station cannot hear it, crank it up. If sea mammals don't beach themselves from the frequencies, make it happen.

Ikola

Post by Ikola » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:12 pm

But are there as many people living near getting irritated than there is audience? Someone should count all of them...
It's not about the ppl living close by, it's about protecting the audience's hearing or something like that. Since it's allowed for all ages the government is really picky about the soundlevels.

shg

Post by shg » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:25 pm

Ikola wrote:It's not about the ppl living close by, it's about protecting the audience's hearing or something like that. Since it's allowed for all ages the government is really picky about the soundlevels.
Protecting audience's hearing is extremely important to me. Hearing is important also to metalheads. :headbang:

Hearing damage will be very easy for a short exposure.

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:46 pm

There is probably some kind of compromise that can be reached so that bands can play loud and not turn down so much that they might as well be a pop band but at the same time not hurt people's ears so badly that they won't ever be able to come to a metal concert again
metal feeds the beast

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:50 am

Silver sonic XL !!! 50 extra db

https://www.silversonicxl.com/

here is a statement the festivals press manager...
Forssman's statement regarding the matter reads as follows:

"I just wanted to let you know that the Aftonbladet story [the Blabbermouth.Net article was] referring to is wrong. The reporter did an interview with me but misunderstood a few things and drew his own conclusions.

"First of all, the fine has not gone through yet, and it is far from certain that it will. Secondly, not all the mentioned bands were using their own sound technicians (all bands and technicians were however informed of the rules and there was measuring equipment at all the mixing towers). Naturally, whatever happens, we will not hold bands who did not bring their own sound techs responsible for those violations.

"Swedish authorities allow a 97 dB average with 110 dB peaks on events that are open to children under 13 - such as the Sweden Rock Festival. Unfortunately, measuring sound levels is not as exact as measuring speed or temperature since they are greatly affected by wind, air humidity etc. We hope this will be taken into consideration when the final decision regarding the fines is made."

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:41 pm

Okay, so now we know that we can't trust Blabbermouth anymore :lol: