Tarja's Husband Files Lawsuit Over Nightwish Book

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
Ragehead91
Tarja's Husband Files Lawsuit Over Nightwish Book

Post by Ragehead91 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:51 pm

Marcelo Cabuli, the husband of former NIGHTWISH singer Tarja Turunen, and his business partners have filed a lawsuit against the parties behind the NIGHTWISH book "Once Upon a Nightwish: The Official Biography 1996-2006" for slander.

Named in the lawsuit were the publishing house Like Kustannus Oy, its CEO Päivi Isosaari and the author of the book, Marko "Mape" Ollila.

Cabuli claims that the information published about him and his businesses in the book is completely false.

Isosaari, however, stands behind the 380-page book, whcih chronicles the band's rise to the status of one of the most successful symphonic metal acts in the world, including the circumstances that led to the departure of Turunen.

"Well, I did read the text and I authorized it to be published and therefore I stand behind the book," Isosaari told the Finnish newspaper Ilta-Sanomat.

In his 2006 review of the book, Jarkko Jokelainen Helsingin Sanomat wrote, "The book points the finger [for the split with Tarja] most firmly in the direction of Marcelo Cabuli, husband and personal manager of the band's former vocal soloist Tarja Turunen. With every turning page, the charges against the Argentine Cabuli get heavier and heavier.

"The portrait of Marcelo Cabuli depicts a money-grasping, less-than-honest, arbitrary, and manipulative manager who was engaged on setting up his wife's solo career and who drove a wedge between her and the other members of the power metal band.

"NIGHTWISH's contractual dealings and touring plans became a painful exercise, as there was 'a Hispanic in the works' at every turn.

"Against this background, it is somewhat awkward that the defendant himself does not get a hearing in the book, even though the other sources close to the band are given full rein to open their hearts and mouths. Not even Tarja Turunen gets to comment on her husband's doings.

"It is probable that the decision is the couple's own, but this does not disguise the fact that it is the book's greatest drawback. The author Marko 'Mape' Ollila has sought to be even-handed in his coverage, but in part for the reasons above, this band-history inevitably becomes a speech on behalf of the male members of the group and other figures in the background.

"NIGHTWISH would seem on the basis of this work to have been so divided into two distinct camps that both sides of the story cannot be fitted between the covers of one book."

Read the entire review at this location.

Bazillion Points Books is offering a free download of "Chapter 5. The Upward Spiral", excerpted from the North American edition of "Once Upon a Nightwish: The Official Biography 1996-2006", by Mape Ollila.

Joining the book in progress at the start of 2000 during the aftermath of "Oceanborn", this chapter gives inside perspective on events including NIGHTWISH's early gigs with RAGE and future bassist Marco Hietala's early band SINERGY; singer Tarja Turunen's bloody battles with mosquitoes in the wilds of Finland; the band and chief songwriter Tuomas Holopainen's rarely discussed and ill-fated flirtation with the Eurovision song contest; and the creation of what would ultimately be the breakthrough "Wishmaster" CD.

The sample chapter can be downloaded from Bazillion Points Books at this location.

In this remarkably revealing official biography, author Mape Ollila charts the rise from village student project to global stardom, gaining unprecedented access not just to the members of NIGHTWISH past and present; but also their families, their loyal and lewd crew, their peers, their critics, and countless other insiders from the NIGHTWISH adventure. The book lays bare the creative firepower and personal demons of songwriter Tuomas Holopainen; the unique talents and traits of guitarist Emppu Vuorinen, drummer Jukka Nevalainen, and bassist Marco Hietala; and the true reasons behind the 2005 departure of vocalist Tarja Turunen — in the band's words and hers.

Along the way, the band struggles with religious protesters, fortune-tellers, naked crew members, health problems, shady promoters, out-of-control fans, and the growing pains of an ever-steeper rock star learning curve. Happily ever after or not, these unique Finnish personalities are brought to life in this journey. For longtime fans and newcomers seeking the backstory of how NIGHTWISH came to where they are today, this is rare public airing of the mysteries that exist.

The 352-page paperback has been revamped by Bazillion Points from earlier Finnish editions, and features extensive corrections, with 32 pages of rare color images dating back to the dawn of the band, and a complete list of international concert appearances from the entire Tarja Turunen era, all on exquisite 100gsm paper with a glossy folding cover.
More drama...

Re: Tarja's Husband Files Lawsuit Over Nightwish Book

Post by Avatar Thief » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:40 pm

have you looked at the title more carefully?

Tarja's Husband Files Lawsuit Over Nightwish Book aided by Timo Tolkki

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Babylonian

Post by Babylonian » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:25 pm

I wonder why he makes the lawsuit years after the book's release. Anyway, he should leave Nightwish peace IMO.

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:30 pm

Babylonian wrote:I wonder why he makes the lawsuit years after the book's release. Anyway, he should leave Nightwish peace IMO.
Yeah, long time passed since we heard some Nightwish drama ... I guess Tarja's career isn't going that well, if she needs publicity of this kind ...
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:37 pm

Her album sold half a million and went gold and platinum in multiple countries. i think she is doing very well career wise, recording a new album now.

why does one person get something for a another person's actions? tarja is a separate person from her husband.

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:49 pm

why does one person get something for a another person's actions? tarja is a separate person from her husband.
So she doesn't know about this lawsuit? Her husband didn't tell her that he is suing people over something that was written in the book about her former band? I find it hard to believe.

So even if she is doing well career-wise (I didn't know that and didn't care either because I think her solo material sucks big time), there is something behind this lawsuit except for her husband's worry about his reputation. Maybe the new album is about to come out soon.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:00 pm

According to Mike Terrana it will be out next year.

The Enigma

Post by The Enigma » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:03 pm

Why now? The wheels of justice turn slooooww...

Actually the civil charges about libel in the Nightwish book were filed at court by Mr Cabuli almost three years ago.

Tuomas Holopainen was asked about the issue at Imperiumi.net interview which was posted online in Sept. 2007 and he replied that he had heard about the charges against the publishing house and the author several months earlier already.

Author of the book, Mape Ollila confirmed in the same interview that two charges had been filed against himself and the publishing house Like Kustannus OY.

Like said, Lady Justice - except blind - is also slow :?

The 1st rock thrown again
Welcome to hell, little Saint
Mother Gaia in slaughter
Welcome to paradise, Soldier

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:17 pm

So she doesn't know about this lawsuit? Her husband didn't tell her that he is suing people over something that was written in the book about her former band? I find it hard to believe.
So a lawsuit is another persons fault just because they know about it? This is not about Tarja, this is about her husband.

Why are you bringing some personal grudge against someone and blaming them just for a weak connection. It would be one thing if she was a driving force behind the lawsuit, but she is only connected by being a wife.

The Enigma just said the lawsuit was first started when the book came out.

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:19 pm

icecab21 wrote:
So a lawsuit is another persons fault just because they know about it? This is not about Tarija, this is about her husband.

Why are you bringing some personal grudge against someone and blaming them just for a weak connection. It would be one thing if she was a driving force behind the lawsuit, but she is only connected by being a wife.

The Enigma just said the lawsuit was first started when the book came out.
I don't know all the details. I don't care about the details. I don't care about the sides involved. The timing of the lawsuit looked weird to me, that's all.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:23 pm

I don't know all the details. I don't care about the details. I don't care about the sides involved. The timing of the lawsuit looked weird to me, that's all.
So you just like to make blind accusations about things you don't understand or care about?

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:16 am

icecab21 wrote:
So you just like to make blind accusations about things you don't understand or care about?
Yes, because the timing of the lawsuit looked weird to me. Guess I was wrong and it's not a new story at all.

Jabi

Post by Jabi » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:11 pm

Defamation of character? If someone has defamed Mr. Kepuli's character it would be the man in his mirror.