Most overrated/underrated metal albums...

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
Star_Ocean
Most overrated/underrated metal albums...

Post by Star_Ocean » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:39 am

Yeah, I was just listening to some really, really bad music, and I saw the topic of "most underrated vocalist," and it got me thinking about really overrated/underrated metal albums.

Anyways, my most overrated album ever is Keepers of the Seven Keys Part 1. So goddamn bad, with some of the most annoying vocals I have ever, EVER heard.

Most underrated? Probably Dark Moor's Tarot. Devil in the Tower is one of the coolest power metal songs I've ever heard, and easily one of my most listened to. Or Zonata's Buried Alive.

Shurik

Re: Most overrated/underrated metal albums...

Post by Shurik » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:47 am

Most overrated - Metallica's Black Album. It's not that bad for a radio-friendly heavy metal album, but it's mediocre compared to their 80's stuff.
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

miditek

Post by miditek » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:29 am

I personally think that Rainbow's last release "Stranger in Us All" was both under promoted and underrated- all in all, a great album!
Κύριε ἐλέησον

rikkertje

Post by rikkertje » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:12 pm

For me Keeper of The Seven Keys Pt. I & II are very overrated. IMO Pink Bubbles Go Ape beats both those albums. The music is better on PBGA and Kiske sounds a lot better too.

Babylon

Post by Babylon » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:06 am

Underrated, any Nocturnal Rites and Excalion album. And also I think Mob Rules' first album 'Savage Land' is brilliant and under appreciated.

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:08 am

Yes I agree with Babylon.
Every one of Excalions albums is really underrated.
I also think that early Sonata Arctica is overrated and especially compared to Strato.

The list would end up being quite long so I'll just leave it here.

Kosmo

Post by Kosmo » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:01 pm

I also think that early Sonata Arctica is overrated and especially compared to Strato.
:( You're breaking a Sonata fans heart..Buuuut also i kind of agree with you, i mean ''new Sonata'' is SO much better, it's a fact. :roll:

Overrated: Yeah, gonna go with Keeper of the Seven Keys Pt.1 & 2, to be honest i liked Keeper of the Seven Keys:The Legacy a lot more.

Underrated: Helloween again, i was going to say Rabbit Don't Come Easy but then i thought that there's this one masterpiece that no one seems to really care about. The Dark Ride.

Balu

Post by Balu » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:29 pm

Kosmo wrote:
:( You're breaking a Sonata fans heart..Buuuut also i kind of agree with you, i mean ''new Sonata'' is SO much better, it's a fact. :roll:

Overrated: Yeah, gonna go with Keeper of the Seven Keys Pt.1 & 2, to be honest i liked Keeper of the Seven Keys:The Legacy a lot more.

Underrated: Helloween again, i was going to say Rabbit Don't Come Easy but then i thought that there's this one masterpiece that no one seems to really care about. The Dark Ride.

1. New Sonata SUCKS. It has almost no energy, no creativity and now not even power. It's just some kind of weird artistic crap.

2. I like Legacy more too, though the title is awful.

3. My favourite Helloween is The Dark Ride, so agree.

Star_Ocean

Post by Star_Ocean » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:25 pm

Kosmo wrote:

The Dark Ride and Rabbit Don't Come Easy are my favorite Helloween albums!

And I enjoy newer Sonata Arctica A LOT more than the old one. Whoever said they have no creativity left is wrong, because they are actually doing different stuff now. Their old stuff is the generic crap that has no creativity.

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:31 pm

New Sonata SUCKS. It has almost no energy, no creativity and now not even power. It's just some kind of weird artistic crap
:lol:
No creativity?
Thats exactly what they HAVE

Oh and if energy and power is all you are looking for in music you should not need anything but Dragonforce :lol:
You're breaking a Sonata fans heart..Buuuut also i kind of agree with you
I said it is overrated not that it is bad.
And I mean it is VERY overrated.

Balu

Post by Balu » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:34 pm

mayhem-for-all wrote:
New Sonata SUCKS. It has almost no energy, no creativity and now not even power. It's just some kind of weird artistic crap
No creativity?

Oh and if energy and power is all you are looking for in music you should not need anything but Dragonforce :lol:
Exactly where is the creativity in there? There was on Unia, as that was new and original, but TDoG was simply boring, artistic and not enjoyable at all.
Also, Dragonforce is crap.

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:36 pm

Balu wrote:
mayhem-for-all wrote:
No creativity?

Exactly where is the creativity in there? There was on Unia, as that was new and original, but TDoG was simply boring, artistic and not enjoyable at all.
Well at least they don't lack energy and power :lol: :roll:

Balu

Post by Balu » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:40 pm

mayhem-for-all wrote:
Balu wrote:
mayhem-for-all wrote:
No creativity?

Well at least they don't lack energy and power :lol: :roll:
Only having that is just as bad.

Star_Ocean

Post by Star_Ocean » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:44 pm

They had energy and power with their old stuff, and their old stuff was beyond awful. Now they have energy, power, AND creativity, which makes them a far better band.

Balu

Post by Balu » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:47 pm

Star_Ocean wrote:They had energy and power with their old stuff, and their old stuff was beyond awful. Now they have energy, power, AND creativity, which makes them a far better band.
Their best albums were Winterheart's Guild, Unia and Reckoning Night in this order IMO. First two were unoriginal, latest was boring.

Kosmo

Post by Kosmo » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:09 pm

I liked TDoG (Nothing compared to Unia though, it's THE best) but it was lacking something, i have no idea what...

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:10 pm

Shurik wrote:Most overrated - Metallica's Black Album. It's not that bad for a radio-friendly heavy metal album, but it's mediocre compared to their 80's stuff.
I think without the black album there were not radio friendly metal and , most metal bands will still live under a bridge, meanwhile lady gaga is keeping all the money. :x I think is an awesome album, not better than master of puppets but that doesnt mean is overrated.

Sonata albums are ok, for me , ecliptica, silence and winterhearts guild are their best, then went downhill.

Helloween? I think Chameleon is underrated, If that album were released today a totally diferent think would happen. I guess the 90s werent the best days for metal to experiment.

Agree 100% with miditek, I guess every album post dio is underrated.

the Yes album "drama" is pretty much discarded by every prog fan because of the fact the "the bugles" (yes the ones of the "video killed the radio star") did have a huge input in that album, yet is AWESOME!!

an another underrated album is Zenyatta Mondatta by The Police, people only hear the hits but i think is the best police album.
A9

pneumonia

Post by pneumonia » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:24 pm

100% agree with Star_ocean about comparision with DragonForce. They made a big approvement since those early CD. And those early songs where without idea, all the same... the same tempo, percussion or keyboard sound.

I have the same with Nightwish. Wishmaster is highly overrated comparing to Dark Passion Play

Balu

Post by Balu » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:28 pm

pneumonia wrote: I have the same with Nightwish. Wishmaster is highly overrated comparing to Dark Passion Play
DPP was awful because of Anette. She's a horrible singer.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:44 pm

this is turning into " a piano concerto bad because it's not original because it uses a piano" type of thread

pneumonia

Post by pneumonia » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:52 pm

I don't like her voice too. But Tarja doesn't fit to metal.

Marco Hietala could be the only Nightwish singer, but it's a controversial opinion :)
Balu wrote:
pneumonia wrote: I have the same with Nightwish. Wishmaster is highly overrated comparing to Dark Passion Play

Balu

Post by Balu » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:19 pm

pneumonia wrote:I don't like her voice too. But Tarja doesn't fit to metal.

Marco Hietala could be the only Nightwish singer, but it's a controversial opinion :)
Balu wrote:
I actually liked Tarja, because she didn't fit metal.

Kecos

Post by Kecos » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:39 am

a
Last edited by Kecos on Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pneumonia

Post by pneumonia » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:47 am

Tarja does now pretty good carieer now without Nightwish. Although I don't like this type of music, but it's very popular and I think good. I've been on her concert during festival and it was crowded and I've seen in German MediaMarkt, that her last CD is 2nd in bestseller rank (higher than Final Frontier). I wish her best!

Talking about female voices in metal I like Sharon Den Adel's voice and I think it's all.

But Marco... he has everything good singer should have: power, scale, talent and he could be a charismatic leader :) I adore his work on "Master Passion Greed"

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:13 am

pneumonia wrote:Tarja does now pretty good carieer now without Nightwish. Although I don't like this type of music, but it's very popular and I think good. I've been on her concert during festival and it was crowded and I've seen in German MediaMarkt, that her last CD is 2nd in bestseller rank (higher than Final Frontier). I wish her best!

Talking about female voices in metal I like Sharon Den Adel's voice and I think it's all.

But Marco... he has everything good singer should have: power, scale, talent and he could be a charismatic leader :) I adore his work on "Master Passion Greed"
Yeah Marco could do that gig easily, but of course tuomas would not have a muse then! you know......someone he wishes to bang but he couldnt. :lol:
A9

Ricardo1701

Post by Ricardo1701 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:24 am

Kecos wrote:I'm in the apparent minority that likes both Tarja and Anette's singing. It sucks that Tarja's gone, but I think DPP was pretty good.

More on topic, I think all of the Iron Savior albums are underrated. Also, I think (spare me the doubtless criticisms that will come from this) The Days of Grays is underrated
me too, I like them both, but I prefer Anette, for me, her voice fits better in the songs

Kecos

Post by Kecos » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:18 am

a
Last edited by Kecos on Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Babylon

Post by Babylon » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:01 am

Kecos wrote: More on topic, I think all of the Iron Savior albums are underrated. Also, I think (spare me the doubtless criticisms that will come from this) The Days of Grays is underrated
Oh yea, I agree about Iron Savior. I especially love the first one and Condition Red, but all of them kick ass.

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:43 am

I'm in the apparent minority that likes both Tarja and Anette's singing.
I think so too. IMO DPP is MUCH better than Century Child and Once.
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

rikkertje

Post by rikkertje » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:38 pm

Visions by Strato is also very overrated IMO. I only like Forever Free, Coming Home and the title track of that album.

And no, I'm not forgetting anything, I don't like Black Diamond. It's just the same kind of song as Forever Free, only difference is that Forever Free is 100 times better.