Dream Theater (any fans here)?

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
robocop656
Re: Dream Theater (any fans here)?

Post by robocop656 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:28 pm

Why so butthurt?

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:34 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm not angry at all man, it is just that I'm tired of the fucking MP thing and Rebel is tired of DT and can't find anything good, I think he should stop listening. Man, that what I did with Edgay :lol:

Robololz, always finding almost impossible to find pictures.
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:38 pm

OK. Are you sure? I could feel the intensity through my computer screen.
By the way, Rebel is tucked into his bed right now because it is 5:30 AM.
I'm still up because I sleep during the day and stay up all night conquering the world.

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:40 pm

jajajajajaja don't worry man, too much Mikedonalds

...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:42 pm

I just edited my post again. (I did this before on accident) (ripped a coat)
(because I'm fat like that) :banana1: :banana1: :banana1:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oGWbt3DSje0?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oGWbt3DSje0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object> :banana1: :banana1: :banana1:

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:45 pm

:o :o :o :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: OMFG robolol! Jens bandwith will erase your ip mask just to help you sleep :lol: :lol: :lol:

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:48 pm

This is what I do when I see a dream theater thread!!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9YfvBbxE1vU?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9YfvBbxE1vU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Kosmo

Post by Kosmo » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:05 pm

I find Rudess' lead tone a tad annoying at times. Don't get me wrong that dude can play, i'd dare to say that he is the most talented person in the band even but sometimes his tones are too space-y. :P

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:41 pm

RazielSR wrote:But, regarding MP:
You and gonza are -of course- MP lovers, (I like MP a lot too, one of my fav drummer), but not as a person, where I think it's more or less the same or worst than TT in his maniac Stratodays).
You are stating that he left the band because the comercial oriented of the other guy. I can't believe what I'm reading. Don't you know that it's exactly the opposite? You both are the two first persons I read saying that. I read two DT forums and other music forums and even the MP lovers says the man has lost his mind this time. Seriously, you seem to me like the TT clan around here two years ago.

The best for DT has been the departure of MP. If the next album is a flop, the band will dissapear soon, but now everybody is excited to see what the rest will offer.
Well, I feel like I'm my worst enemy with this comment :D. I'll never stop saying MP was a main screw in this machine we now still call Dream Theater; but I hate to say and agree with all of you guys when you say thath MP as a person is a great drummer. Don't get me wrong, I'm willing to see a new reborn band without him and I do hope they success, but I hardly see an exit to this: The band is already downhill, and it's hard to get back in the road UNLESS they do something similar Strato has done (although I don't like to compare bands, but couldn't thing of anything), and here's where I go to my next quote:
RazielSR wrote:I agree that the best album is Awake, but many people think it is another. That's not important. And is not important either if you don't feel emotion in that solo or you don't like BC&SL (incredible, seriously). The most important is that you are just clearly attacking a band with wrong arguments. I just think you are tired of this band, like everybody when is listening to a band so many years and it doesn't matter if the band change or not, it will be the same for you again. You (well many people, me included) would like to hear another SFAM of 6DOIT, or Awake, but If that happens,I'm sure 95% of people will be angry cause DT is using the old formula again showing how uninspired they are.
From my point of view I see 2 possible resolution to this hell of a problem:
* The band releases another mix-up of the same music, fans get tired and dissapointed with the band, they split up
* The band goes back to their roots with yet a slight change into a proggier direction, many elder fans are pleased they haven't forgotten where they come from, many newer fans are pleased to see the band is changing into something better
|StratoFan Forever|

Balu

Post by Balu » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:51 pm

ggonza43 wrote:
RazielSR wrote:But, regarding MP:
You and gonza are -of course- MP lovers, (I like MP a lot too, one of my fav drummer), but not as a person, where I think it's more or less the same or worst than TT in his maniac Stratodays).
You are stating that he left the band because the comercial oriented of the other guy. I can't believe what I'm reading. Don't you know that it's exactly the opposite? You both are the two first persons I read saying that. I read two DT forums and other music forums and even the MP lovers says the man has lost his mind this time. Seriously, you seem to me like the TT clan around here two years ago.

The best for DT has been the departure of MP. If the next album is a flop, the band will dissapear soon, but now everybody is excited to see what the rest will offer.
Well, I feel like I'm my worst enemy with this comment :D. I'll never stop saying MP was a main screw in this machine we now still call Dream Theater; but I hate to say and agree with all of you guys when you say thath MP as a person is a great drummer. Don't get me wrong, I'm willing to see a new reborn band without him and I do hope they success, but I hardly see an exit to this: The band is already downhill, and it's hard to get back in the road UNLESS they do something similar Strato has done (although I don't like to compare bands, but couldn't thing of anything), and here's where I go to my next quote:
RazielSR wrote:I agree that the best album is Awake, but many people think it is another. That's not important. And is not important either if you don't feel emotion in that solo or you don't like BC&SL (incredible, seriously). The most important is that you are just clearly attacking a band with wrong arguments. I just think you are tired of this band, like everybody when is listening to a band so many years and it doesn't matter if the band change or not, it will be the same for you again. You (well many people, me included) would like to hear another SFAM of 6DOIT, or Awake, but If that happens,I'm sure 95% of people will be angry cause DT is using the old formula again showing how uninspired they are.
From my point of view I see 2 possible resolution to this hell of a problem:
* The band releases another mix-up of the same music, fans get tired and dissapointed with the band, they split up
* The band goes back to their roots with yet a slight change into a proggier direction, many elder fans are pleased they haven't forgotten where they come from, many newer fans are pleased to see the band is changing into something better
You forgot the ideal resolution: fans realise that there are bands out there that are a LOT better.

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:00 pm

Balu wrote:You forgot the ideal resolution: fans realise that there are bands out there that are a LOT better.
Here we go again :lol::
I was giving those resolutions for FANS, don't know if that word sounds familiar to you. I'm not denying that there are bands that might/are better than DT, but I just don't see a reason to go into a topic titled "Any DT fans?" and a clearly non-fan person start talking shit about that band. Don't expect anybody to be nice at you
|StratoFan Forever|

Balu

Post by Balu » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:50 pm

ggonza43 wrote:
Balu wrote:You forgot the ideal resolution: fans realise that there are bands out there that are a LOT better.
Here we go again :lol::
I was giving those resolutions for FANS, don't know if that word sounds familiar to you. I'm not denying that there are bands that might/are better than DT, but I just don't see a reason to go into a topic titled "Any DT fans?" and a clearly non-fan person start talking shit about that band. Don't expect anybody to be nice at you
Don't worry, I don't. : D

Anyway, I'm a fan of some of their work, still, I can list at least 5 bands whose best album is better than DT's best. Being a fan of a whole band is just stupid, why would anyone say 'I love these guys no matter what they do'.

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:25 am

...Because that's what fanatism means maybe :lol:?
|StratoFan Forever|

Balu

Post by Balu » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:44 am

ggonza43 wrote:...Because that's what fanatism means maybe :lol:?
But what's the point of that? I mean, I really love Strato, but if they ever do something bad, I can admit that it is bad.

And crap, I'm starting to sound like icecab today.

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:11 am

You're the new icecab :lol:. And it's OK to critizice the band you follow: I've always said, being a Strato fan, that their self-titled was total crap and that didn't mean I stopped loved them. But I've never said there were a lot more better bands than they (there sure might be), because one bad album doesn't make a band bad
|StratoFan Forever|

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:12 am

ggonza43 wrote:You're the new icecab :lol:. And it's OK to critizice the band you follow: I've always said, being a Strato fan, that their self-titled was total crap and that didn't mean I stopped loved them. But I've never said there were a lot more better bands than they (there sure might be), because one bad album doesn't make a band bad
Am I the new Ragehead? :P

Balu

Post by Balu » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:25 am

Rebel wrote:
ggonza43 wrote:You're the new icecab :lol:. And it's OK to critizice the band you follow: I've always said, being a Strato fan, that their self-titled was total crap and that didn't mean I stopped loved them. But I've never said there were a lot more better bands than they (there sure might be), because one bad album doesn't make a band bad
Am I the new Ragehead? :P
He had a better taste. : <

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:36 am

Balu wrote:
Rebel wrote: Am I the new Ragehead? :P
He had a better taste. : <
Gather-up people, here it comes round 3 :D!
|StratoFan Forever|

Kecos

Post by Kecos » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:45 am

a
Last edited by Kecos on Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:46 pm

Balu wrote:
But what's the point of that? I mean, I really love Strato, but if they ever do something bad, I can admit that it is bad.
True, but I consider that BC&SL is an excelent album. I'm not fanatic, I ALWAYS speak by myself, and about my taste. By saying that BC&SL is good and that TCOT is amazing, I'm not being fanatic, I'm just talking about my taste. I think it is more a fanatic behaviour when you don't accept the band if a member leaves. Many people will not listen to Elysium just because TT is not in (that's pathetic imo). You have to listen and say if you like it or not and take your decisions, that's all. I will listen the new DT. If i like it, I'll be happy, if not, the album will have some spins in my stereo and ipod and will be enough.

About the new DT album, many people will be just listening to hear how it sounds without MP, in the next weeks the "truth" will be the one to decide the fate of the band. If you ask me NOW: I'm really excited to hear it and I REALLY think the band will be ok. The same feeling will dissapear if I don't like it, but that doesn't mean I'll be right or wrong.

And I'm sure, completely sure that if a band release BC&SL (the best charting album by DT) you all would be amazed and wooooooooooow. But it's DT, a band playing for around 26 years and we are all tired of listening (well, not me).

For example, NEW prog bands that I like are Circus Maximus or Seventh Wonder. I like these bands a lot, but I can't say I like them more than DT. And you can be sure that I'd like a lot to feel it, just because they are the future. But at the moment, I can't say it. Maybe in a few years, yes.

Here we have our friend gonza that is sick of thinking about DT without MP. I understand, it's really strange, but fuck it, the man is now starting a new project and plenty of hope and he is happy now. Why should I be angry now? Fuck, this is music, we should enjoy. Two years ago, when I thought about Stratovarius without Tolkki I get mad around here, I felt destroyed. But fuck it, he is with new projects and bands and the rest are releasing albums. Why should I be angry? NO.

Of course, it will never be the same, never. The Episode-Visions times are gone, the Awake-SFAM-6DOIT are gone, but that does not mean you can live a new era with the same intensity and plenty of fun. that's what I wanna find, If I don't find it here, I'll just go away.

For example, Edguy for me SUCKS since Rocket Ride. Some years ago Sammet made me laugh a lot, now I hate the stupid things he make. Of course that doesn't mean the band is worst, is it worst for me and better for another people. But , for me the band is over. To compare Mandrake of Hellfire Club with Rocket Ride or TinnitusSanctus is just pure madness. Then you have people who loves it,of course I think that those people are mad and know nothing about music. My decision? Bye bye Edguy, you are over. You can be happy with your path and I can be happy with mine.

I mean, it is all about taste and your emotions/moments in life. But I think there's one thing clear: in DT the "nowadays MP" wasn't wanted. Why? Soon, time will tell. For better or for worse.

Balu

Post by Balu » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:01 pm

RazielSR wrote:
Balu wrote:
True, but I consider that BC&SL is an excelent album. I'm not fanatic, I ALWAYS speak by myself, and about my taste. By saying that BC&SL is good and that TCOT is amazing, I'm not being fanatic, I'm just talking about my taste. I think it is more a fanatic behaviour when you don't accept the band if a member leaves. Many people will not listen to Elysium just because TT is not in (that's pathetic imo). You have to listen and say if you like it or not and take your decisions, that's all. I will listen the new DT. If i like it, I'll be happy, if not, the album will have some spins in my stereo and ipod and will be enough.

About the new DT album, many people will be just listening to hear how it sounds without MP, in the next weeks the "truth" will be the one to decide the fate of the band. If you ask me NOW: I'm really excited to hear it and I REALLY think the band will be ok. The same feeling will dissapear if I don't like it, but that doesn't mean I'll be right or wrong.

And I'm sure, completely sure that if a band release BC&SL (the best charting album by DT) you all would be amazed and wooooooooooow. But it's DT, a band playing for around 26 years and we are all tired of listening (well, not me).

For example, NEW prog bands that I like are Circus Maximus or Seventh Wonder. I like these bands a lot, but I can't say I like them more than DT. And you can be sure that I'd like a lot to feel it, just because they are the future. But at the moment, I can't say it. Maybe in a few years, yes.

Here we have our friend gonza that is sick of thinking about DT without MP. I understand, it's really strange, but fuck it, the man is now starting a new project and plenty of hope and he is happy now. Why should I be angry now? Fuck, this is music, we should enjoy. Two years ago, when I thought about Stratovarius without Tolkki I get mad around here, I felt destroyed. But fuck it, he is with new projects and bands and the rest are releasing albums. Why should I be angry? NO.

Of course, it will never be the same, never. The Episode-Visions times are gone, the Awake-SFAM-6DOIT are gone, but that does not mean you can live a new era with the same intensity and plenty of fun. that's what I wanna find, If I don't find it here, I'll just go away.

For example, Edguy for me SUCKS since Rocket Ride. Some years ago Sammet made me laugh a lot, now I hate the stupid things he make. Of course that doesn't mean the band is worst, is it worst for me and better for another people. But , for me the band is over. To compare Mandrake of Hellfire Club with Rocket Ride or TinnitusSanctus is just pure madness. Then you have people who loves it,of course I think that those people are mad and know nothing about music. My decision? Bye bye Edguy, you are over. You can be happy with your path and I can be happy with mine.

I mean, it is all about taste and your emotions/moments in life. But I think there's one thing clear: in DT the "nowadays MP" wasn't wanted. Why? Soon, time will tell. For better or for worse.
Actually, BC&CL is a decent album, was worth a few listens to me but nothing more. Out of the new 'similar' DT albums, I like Octavarium the most I think though.

I'm somewhat excited about it too, but DT has never been my favorite prog metal band, so if they don't turn out to be good with the new line-up, I won't really care either.

BC&CL is a good album, but not really prog I think. It's just heavy metal with really talented musicians.

I like those two too, SW even more than DT. Seriously, Mercy Falls was an amazing album.

Agreed here.

Only comment here is that I'm really happy 6DoIT is gone, that was a damn pretentious album with like 30% enjoyable stuff for me.

Edguy do suck as a metal band, but they are a decent hard rock one. Just not my style.

I like MP's other projects more anyway (Transatlantic is great imo), maybe now he can focus more on them. Good for me.

Kosmo

Post by Kosmo » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:03 pm

Both SC and BC&SL have their great moments but as full albums i wouldn't rank them that high. My favourite is either Scenes or Awake.

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:35 am

RazielSR wrote:True, but I consider that BC&SL is an excelent album. I'm not fanatic, I ALWAYS speak by myself, and about my taste. By saying that BC&SL is good and that TCOT is amazing, I'm not being fanatic, I'm just talking about my taste. I think it is more a fanatic behaviour when you don't accept the band if a member leaves. Many people will not listen to Elysium just because TT is not in (that's pathetic imo). You have to listen and say if you like it or not and take your decisions, that's all. I will listen the new DT. If i like it, I'll be happy, if not, the album will have some spins in my stereo and ipod and will be enough.

You surely take your time when wanna talk serious my friend 8):

1st paragraph: With this I have to agree; you have to understand this is very recent, and DT along with Strato where like the first 2 bands I really got into when I was still a child that was defining his musical taste. I have to say that even though I'm a fan, if I were the kind of one you are describing, then I would have never said SC was a bad album to me, one of the worse they have made. I'm enjoy the music, and fuck it, I even got the same feeling you had when TT left the band, and I though the new line-up, even though that sounded promising wouldn't be the same. What I need now to get over this is time, like everything that happened before

2nd paragraph: I am also excited, yet kind of pesimist and worried about what this new project might result; if it's an instant win that makes me say "Forget MP, this new line-up is the best thing that could have happened to the band", then yes, I'm that kind of a pussy that changes his mind radically, so what? A person learn from his/her mistakes

3rd paragraph: Totally, but you have to admit that this wave of "endlessly similar releases" is getting out of their hands. And don't get me wrong, I find in every album released after TOT at least 3 songs that made me feel very proud of still being a follower of them, with songs that sound really mature and that I've never listened from DT

4th paragraph: Happens the same to me, although after giving both of them a few more listens, right now my mind is like CM > SW. That's why I'm dying for their new record soon this year :D

5th paragraph: The only thing that matters is music, you totally got me with that :). You just need to understand it was very soon and out of the blue. And maybe you are right, after their new record I would totally have forgotten about MP, and still enjoy the band's music. Let's hope the best for them

6th paragraph: Do I need to say anything else? You are right, what else can I say? We seem to have same thoughts with different "endings"

7th paragraph: I'm gonna skip this one, as TS is my worst enemy after seeing what he did to Edguy's last albums: They were a great band, and they sure still am, but that pseudo-Bon Jovi gets really on my nerves!

8th paragraph: Truly let's hope this turns out good
|StratoFan Forever|

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:46 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23BILp5toXA Which bon jovi songs are like this one? i like this and i like bon jovi, but i don't get the connection.

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:55 am

Please don't start this again icecab, we already had this discussion: How you support TS and how I don't. I meant how Tobias's look and singing stlye are similar to Bon Jovi's
|StratoFan Forever|

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:12 am

I’m not talking about support or whatever or likening, I’m talking about the music itself for musicology reasons. I think it has a harder delivery than bj singing wise and uses more vibrato. I just don’t think if someone was trying to sing like bon jovi that that would be the correct way to go about it with so much vibrato

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:15 am

Look, I just said that to me it sounded similar: Never intended to say TS tries to emulate BJ; if that's what you understood is up to you
|StratoFan Forever|

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:19 am

that pseudo-Bon Jovi gets really on my nerves!
it comes across to me as saying he tries to copy bon jovi when you call him pseudo bon jovi.

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:50 am

I said "pseudo-Bon Jovi" because to me he sounded similar to him, maybe he's trying to emulate him, maybe not. How should I know or who am I to judge him form that is another thing
|StratoFan Forever|

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:14 am

well you did come across as accusational and judgmental