Deep Purple Appreciation Thread

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
Rebel
Deep Purple Appreciation Thread

Post by Rebel » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:25 am

Even if we ignore the OBVIOUS influence of both Ritchie Blackmore on Timo Tolkki, Jon Lord on Jens Johansson, and Ian Gillan (somewhat) on Timo Kotipelto, Deep Purple is still an absolutely awesome and to an extent underrated band. I'm of the belief that in their prime, Deep Purple was a vastly superior band to Led Zeppelin.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pkg0xJj2A4w?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pkg0xJj2A4w?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KgZSnAkQc4c?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KgZSnAkQc4c?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

You'll never find a more energetic band than Deep Purple's Mk II

Babylon

Re: Deep Purple Appreciation Thread

Post by Babylon » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:06 am

I also like DP way more than Zeppelin. My parents are huge fans, I was actually named after a DP song :lol:

Ian Gillan was, of course, absolutelly brilliant (and he still sounded very good when I saw them live in 2008), but there were also David Coverdale and Glenn Hughes... awesome singers as well. And Rod Evans had a pretty cool voice too.

I loved the Slaves & Masters album, with Joe Lynn Turner on vocals. Different from the classic stuff, but still great.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QSl_e1uKDns?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QSl_e1uKDns?fs=1&amp;hl=es_MX" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

And another favorite Purple song of mine:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gZ_kez7WVUU?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gZ_kez7WVUU?fs=1&amp;hl=es_MX" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:40 pm

the greatness of DP is put of question guys, despite all the changes they still make great music up to this day.

now, bigger than led zep... :lol: there will be no DP without Zep, futhermore, rock and metal wouldnt exist without Zep, The Mule is a direct inspiration from "Moby Dick" come on guys..those guys were fans of zep.
A9

Susie

Post by Susie » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:45 pm

Awww I read that DP's first manager passed away recently... :|

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:53 pm

adrian9 wrote:the greatness of DP is put of question guys, despite all the changes they still make great music up to this day.

now, bigger than led zep... :lol: there will be no DP without Zep, futhermore, rock and metal wouldnt exist without Zep, The Mule is a direct inspiration from "Moby Dick" come on guys..those guys were fans of zep.
DP would exist without Zep because as far as I'm aware, DP's MK II lineup was already in the works (In Ritchie's head at least) in 1969 when Zep debuted.

And on a comparison basis, Deep Purple had more talented musicians up and down the line. Gillan was better at his job than Plant, Ritchie sure as hell could outplay Page, and I think Paice was probably on par with bonzo as far as drumming talents. JPJ probably beat out Glover, but throw Jon Lord in the mix and DP was clearly the more able band.

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:45 am

Rebel wrote:Even if we ignore the OBVIOUS influence of both Ritchie Blackmore on Timo Tolkki, Jon Lord on Jens Johansson, and Ian Gillan (somewhat) on Timo Kotipelto, Deep Purple is still an absolutely awesome and to an extent underrated band. I'm of the belief that in their prime, Deep Purple was a vastly superior band to Led Zeppelin.
Excuse me...Underrated?! Well, you should sometime come here and look around for a while. Mostly local metal/rock bands seems to have way too much influence from them, and DP is considered one of the greatest band ever, alongside with many more. But well, that's just here I guess :?
|StratoFan Forever|

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:16 am

Rebel wrote:
adrian9 wrote:the greatness of DP is put of question guys, despite all the changes they still make great music up to this day.

DP would exist without Zep because as far as I'm aware, DP's MK II lineup was already in the works (In Ritchie's head at least) in 1969 when Zep debuted.

And on a comparison basis, Deep Purple had more talented musicians up and down the line. Gillan was better at his job than Plant, Ritchie sure as hell could outplay Page, and I think Paice was probably on par with bonzo as far as drumming talents. JPJ probably beat out Glover, but throw Jon Lord in the mix and DP was clearly the more able band.
ok first and foremost Jimmy was on the Yardbirds back in 66 with the likes of Jeff Beck playing a proto rock of what would become led zep ; with the JPJ, Plant, Boham and Page line up they completed a tour in 1968 under the name of "The New Yardbirds" playing a lot of what would become their first album in , yes, 1969.
many people were influenced by Jimmy & Jeff Beck because they were the most wanted session musicians as back as 1963, including among those blackmore.
and you may say that Ritchie and his combo was more talented and you might be right, (I gonna put aside the fact that page was also and Outstanding producer who built the sound of rock and how a rock band should put a record) but Led Zep filled more stadiums that DP in his prime, and a monster like smoke on the water is only surpassed by any Led Zep classic......is like that dude, just accept the fact, this doesnt mean that DP is not awesome, is just the second awesome band:D or the third if you count the beatles,or maybe fourth if we put Queen in the list...or maybe......you get the picture.
A9

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:06 am

adrian9 wrote:
Rebel wrote:

ok first and foremost Jimmy was on the Yardbirds back in 66 with the likes of Jeff Beck playing a proto rock of what would become led zep ; with the JPJ, Plant, Boham and Page line up they completed a tour in 1968 under the name of "The New Yardbirds" playing a lot of what would become their first album in , yes, 1969.
many people were influenced by Jimmy & Jeff Beck because they were the most wanted session musicians as back as 1963, including among those blackmore.
and you may say that Ritchie and his combo was more talented and you might be right, (I gonna put aside the fact that page was also and Outstanding producer who built the sound of rock and how a rock band should put a record) but Led Zep filled more stadiums that DP in his prime, and a monster like smoke on the water is only surpassed by any Led Zep classic......is like that dude, just accept the fact, this doesnt mean that DP is not awesome, is just the second awesome band:D or the third if you count the beatles,or maybe fourth if we put Queen in the list...or maybe......you get the picture.
I don't deny that Zeppelin was influential, but I think that Purple was certainly more impressive, especially in a live enviroment.

Consider, Zeppelin thought call and response was cool, Deep Purple did it in PERFECT PITCH.

The Purple live show was all about the high octane, the energy, electricity, and absolute and total awesome. I don't think you can even mention Queen in the same sentence as Deep Purple. Well I just did, but you get what I mean.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5UmL1JPimmw?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5UmL1JPimmw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:47 pm

Comparing Zeppelin with Purple is like blasfemy at the metal community :lol:. They are both equally awesome
|StratoFan Forever|

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:16 pm

Rebel wrote:
adrian9 wrote:
Rebel wrote:

I don't deny that Zeppelin was influential, but I think that Purple was certainly more impressive, especially in a live enviroment.

Consider, Zeppelin thought call and response was cool, Deep Purple did it in PERFECT PITCH.

The Purple live show was all about the high octane, the energy, electricity, and absolute and total awesome. I don't think you can even mention Queen in the same sentence as Deep Purple. Well I just did, but you get what I mean.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5UmL1JPimmw?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5UmL1JPimmw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
mmmm I can give you that, DP live is massive, led zep show were kind of a trance maybe ´cause of the Lsd :lol: but that doesnt mean lack of greatness, in any case we are not going to re-write rock history in this forum. im stick to Elvis>Beatles> everybody else chronology.
A9

Balu

Post by Balu » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:25 pm

I can't say that DP is underrated, but I really love 'em. And they're a lot better than Led Zeppelin. :>

Babylon

Post by Babylon » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:20 am

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:42 am

man his voice has changed so much,

Babylon

Post by Babylon » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:02 am

Rebel wrote:
man his voice has changed so much,
Well he's 65 years old, can't expect him to sound the same, but I still think he sounds pretty good.

Damien Thorn

Post by Damien Thorn » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:31 am

Rebel wrote:Deep Purple is still an absolutely awesome and to an extent underrated band.
:lol:

Are you for real? If you look up the word "rock band" in a dictionary, there will be a picture of Deep Purple in there. I cannot think of a more iconic, universally accepted and globally celebrated band than Deep Purple. It's no coincidence that Spinal Tap used them as a template. Purple also produced quite a few decent spin-offs...

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sN8grtFUQYs?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sN8grtFUQYs?fs=1&amp;hl=nl_NL" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="390"></embed></object>

Cheers,

Damien
Trite
Rhetorical
Cliched
Inane

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:32 am

Rebel wrote:Deep Purple is still an absolutely awesome and to an extent underrated band.
Yeah, really underrated, nobody ever bought their albums or went to their shows. Shame, they were pretty good and deserved to make it big.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:22 am

Deep Purple has a huge influence on me, bands like them and Iron Maiden are what led me to bands like Stratovarius and Helloween
metal feeds the beast

Damien Thorn

Post by Damien Thorn » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:49 pm

NeonVomit wrote:
Yeah, really underrated, nobody ever bought their albums or went to their shows. Shame, they were pretty good and deserved to make it big.
:lol:
Trite
Rhetorical
Cliched
Inane

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:19 am

I also thought that was funny, yes Deep purple is famous however more people know Black sabbath and Led zeppelin then they do Deep purple.

Deep purple is almost considered the nerdy kid of the bunch.
metal feeds the beast

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:52 am

They had a relatively short career in the spotlight, and were overshadowed by Zeppelin, as the years went on, Coverdale destroyed their reputation even more, and the reunion, trying to capture the old spirit, wasn't very good at first, so they just seemed like another hard rock band from the 70s trying to reclaim past glories. It's only now, as the majority of music listeners are approaching the 70s without the bias of the times, that Purple is again resurfacing as something more than a band with one big song that got old quick, and some other moderate hits. They're legends, but nobody would admit that in 1990

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:20 am

Are you the same person who claimed Buckethead was underrated as a guitarist?
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

Damien Thorn

Post by Damien Thorn » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:06 pm

Rebel wrote:Coverdale destroyed their reputation even more...
That's interesting... because I would argue that bands like Whitesnake (and even Europe and Yngwie Malmsteen) helped keep the Deep Purple legacy alive after the seventies had ended. Sure, some of the videos were rather daft, but Coverdale managed to keep the Purple vibe alive throughout the eighties and the larger part of the nineties. He even turned it into something larger than life during a time (exactly those eighties and early nineties) that was hardly benevolent towards seventies hard rock.

And tell me, honestly, wasn't that Whitesnake version of "Burn/Stormbringer" just the best one you've ever heard?

Cheers,

Damien
Trite
Rhetorical
Cliched
Inane

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:53 am

The whole coverdale thing I would say is a matter of opinion but in terms of how people look back on these bands I have noticed(at least from the people I've talked with since I can't speak for everybody)that Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin are considered more highly in these groups, where as with Deep Purple many of them only seem to remember "Smoke on the water" which to me is a shame because they have such varied and great material.

One of my favorite songs is "Mad dog" which came off of one of their lesser known albums "the house of blue light"
metal feeds the beast

Arnold Layne

Post by Arnold Layne » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:17 am

Damien Thorn wrote: Cheers,

Damien
So its catching on. LOL!

Arnold Layne

Damien Thorn

Post by Damien Thorn » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:29 pm

adrian9 wrote:In any case we are not going to re-write rock history in this forum. im stick to Elvis > Beatles > everybody else chronology.
Okay, that makes quite a bit of sense, but I'll try to stick to the notion that music is not a linear art form. Did Pete Townsend invent the power chord? Or did I invent it myself playing an acoustic guitar on the edge of my bed a long, long time ago. Sure, credit where credit is due, but let's not overdo it please. Otherwise, we'd also have to start giving credit to that one guy in Africa 100,000 years ago who started banging on a hollow tree-trunk with the arsebone of a giraffe...

Cheerio,

Damien
Trite
Rhetorical
Cliched
Inane

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:16 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
adrian9 wrote:In any case we are not going to re-write rock history in this forum. im stick to Elvis > Beatles > everybody else chronology.
Okay, that makes quite a bit of sense, but I'll try to stick to the notion that music is not a linear art form. Did Pete Townsend invent the power chord? Or did I invent it myself playing an acoustic guitar on the edge of my bed a long, long time ago. Sure, credit where credit is due, but let's not overdo it please. Otherwise, we'd also have to start giving credit to that one guy in Africa 100,000 years ago who started banging on a hollow tree-trunk with the arsebone of a giraffe...

Cheerio,

Damien
we are talking about metal isnt?
If you were to study music in any University degree, sure you will have to study from where all this shit come from.
so, metal just didnt appear by chance. or by mistake if you will.
you can trace history of heavy metal-rocknroll from the very begging, from louisina to london to europe to south america...of course the more you read and learn about it more unsong heroes you discover.
I only metion Elvis-beatles because they really give the package we still use today.
A9

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:58 pm

adrian9 wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:

Cheerio,

Damien
we are talking about metal isnt?
If you were to study music in any University degree, sure you will have to study from where all this shit come from.
so, metal just didnt appear by chance. or by mistake if you will.
you can trace history of heavy metal-rocknroll from the very begging, from louisina to london to europe to south america...of course the more you read and learn about it more unsong heroes you discover.
I only metion Elvis-beatles because they really give the package we still use today.
You've never listened to the Blues, have you?

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:53 pm

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tWCEG6lV0ek?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tWCEG6lV0ek?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="390"></embed></object>

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:23 pm

robocop656 wrote:<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tWCEG6lV0ek?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tWCEG6lV0ek?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="390"></embed></object>
So, you watched the molds of chance!
---...---

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:39 am

I lost my virginity at the age of 7 to Little Richard.