do your worst

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
adrian9
do your worst

Post by adrian9 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:52 pm

yeah, after years and years of denial my collector brain side told me to complete every cd collection I have.

in order to do that , I HAD to buy Load by Metallica and Virtual XI by Iron Maiden.

Load is an OK album and quite surprised me, I knew the ones they played in cunning stuns and S&M but the ones I discarded were nice, except CURE, RONNIE and THE HOUSE JACK BUILT, I wonder if they played those live because they suck monkey ass.

and then VIRTUAL XI, Clansman is the only awesome song, I liked the angel and the gambler but the video version, the album version is stupid, I hate this album, I hate blaze. janick solos and dave are awesome.

so, what other worst albums can I expect to buy because I have to.???
A9

NeverendingAbyss

Re: do your worst

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:43 am

In Paradisum

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:29 am

Haha, great topic, as somewhat of a collector I can totally relate to this. First ones to come to mind are:

Judas Priest - Jugulator and Demolition
Megadeth - Risk
Helloween - Pink Bubbles and Chameleon
Stratovarius - s/t

Some would argue that Chameleon is not bad, just different, but not me.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:53 am

Load is a great album. People reacted so angrily because it was totally different to Justice or the Black Album, but it still has some brilliant songs. Wasting my Hate, Outlaw Torn, Mama Said and Until it Sleeps are really memorable tracks. Never understood all the Load hate - it was one of my favourites when it came out. The one everyone SHOULD hate is St. Anger - that was awful.

VXI is okay. Maiden dropped the really dark, brooding and melancholy atmosphere that was such a big part of the X Factor (the better Blaze album by a mile) and Blaze's voice just wasn't up to it. It's a decent album I suppose - but if anything it simply highlighted how important Bruce Dickinson was for Iron Maiden. This was emphasised by the Rock in Rio version of the Clansman, where Bruce sang it way better than Blaze did on the record. The guitar work is really good, the drums are pretty subdued however.

Stratovarius s/t was a real head scratcher. It just doesn't fit in with the rest of the albums - I mean, Polaris sounds like a much more logical and natural successor to the Elements records.

Pink Bubbles is unlistenable and Chameleon just stupid.

This is actually a very good topic! Really got me thinking about the more... questionable items in my collection. I'm gonna have to give it some thought.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

Southern_Stratofan

Post by Southern_Stratofan » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:25 pm

I agree with those 2 Priest albums. I actually didnt mind Jugulator & probably will add it to my JP collection sooner rather than later.

Im with NeonVomit on Strato's s/t album. Sounds nothing like them, but will get it nonetheless.

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:22 pm

Southern_Stratofan wrote:I agree with those 2 Priest albums. I actually didnt mind Jugulator & probably will add it to my JP collection sooner rather than later.

Im with NeonVomit on Strato's s/t album. Sounds nothing like them, but will get it nonetheless.
I went very fanboy and bought that one the very same day it was released, I like it, not much, but I like it.
NeonVomit wrote:Pink Bubbles is unlistenable and Chameleon just stupid.

This is actually a very good topic! Really got me thinking about the more... questionable items in my collection. I'm gonna have to give it some thought.
yeah this is an old debate and you remind me of this, I like chameleon better than Pink bubbles, I havent bought any of those, simply because I prefer buy new edguy or avantasia at the same price, so fuck it, If I have the chance to pick those up at some bargain price, I totally do it.

how about DT? I haaatedd Octavarium! and on the other hand I Love the first album but that one is a hard to find thing (the original release not the Ytse jam re-edit)
I guess I should open other topic about hard to find records...
A9

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:31 pm

Chameleon is fantastic. The song "I Believe" is one of Helloween's all-time best. Unfortunately its not really a consistent record and is just a mess of different ideas. And songs like "When the Sinner" and "Windmill" don't appeal to most Helloween fans.

Octavarium grew on me somewhat. I like the title track a lot, especially the version on Score. Still not a great dt album, but a hell of a lot better than Systematic Chaos. That's my least favorite DT album by a mile!

Otherwise, many don't like Angra's Fireworks, but I think its a hidden gem.

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:38 pm

I actually liked Virtual XI, more than some of the more recent Maiden stuff.

Load is a load of horseshit, but so is everything Metallica did in last 20 years.

You should definitely get Megadeth's Risk, straight from "WTF were they thinking" territory. Thankfully, Dave Mustaine forgot about this nonsense and made some great records after it (Endgame is the best Megadeth album since Rust In Peace).
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:43 pm

now getting into more dangerous territory name the worst fucking album from Black Sabbath I would have to say Born Again I saw it on a bargain price and didnt buy, that bad this is.
A9

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:42 am

adrian9 wrote:now getting into more dangerous territory name the worst fucking album from Black Sabbath I would have to say Born Again I saw it on a bargain price and didnt buy, that bad this is.
I don't think Born Again is bad at all, I'll take it over the last Ozzy album Never Say Die any day.

Seventh Star and Forbidden seem to be the popular answers, but I still haven't listened to either of them myself.

miditek

Post by miditek » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:11 am

adrian9 wrote:now getting into more dangerous territory name the worst fucking album from Black Sabbath I would have to say Born Again I saw it on a bargain price and didnt buy, that bad this is.
I actually thought Born Again had some great performances, although the mix was terrible and the album cover was awful. I think that Iommi's guitar solo in "Trashed" was one of the nastiest and "most metal" that he ever did.

I've always been a big fan of Ian Gillan, and remember being excited about that particular lineup when I was a teenager.
Κύριε ἐλέησον

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:49 am

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:Chameleon is fantastic. The song "I Believe" is one of Helloween's all-time best. Unfortunately its not really a consistent record and is just a mess of different ideas. And songs like "When the Sinner" and "Windmill" don't appeal to most Helloween fans.

Octavarium grew on me somewhat. I like the title track a lot, especially the version on Score. Still not a great dt album, but a hell of a lot better than Systematic Chaos. That's my least favorite DT album by a mile!

We usually don't disagree on music, but I can't listen to Chameleon, it's just baaad.
They let us have signatures on this forum???

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:38 am

Rebel wrote:
AAAAAAAAAA wrote:Chameleon is fantastic. The song "I Believe" is one of Helloween's all-time best. Unfortunately its not really a consistent record and is just a mess of different ideas. And songs like "When the Sinner" and "Windmill" don't appeal to most Helloween fans.

We usually don't disagree on music, but I can't listen to Chameleon, it's just baaad.
There are a few bad songs but enough good ones too.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ujR7AoRx6Uk?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ujR7AoRx6Uk?ve ... p;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

This is bad??

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3-SC4TjmnEg?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3-SC4TjmnEg?ve ... p;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

This too??

brought2ubyletterC

Post by brought2ubyletterC » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:09 am

Sorry, but Load sucks. I'm a fan of alternative music so it wasn't the "alternative" direction they took that turned me off. Lots of bands went the alterna-route in the '90s and managed to make it sound good. Metallica just was not one of them.

Metallica turned me off with Load, but lost me forever with the whole Napster debacle. Way to turn on your core audience, as it was bootlegging that jump-started their career. :eyes

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:59 am

I bought a michel Camilo once and it was horrible. Also some cuban guy. Pure unadulterated shit. There's an antonioni I don't really like BUT THAT'S NOT MUSIC.
---...---

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:12 pm

I've never listened to Born Again, mostly because of how crap everyone says it was. I'll wager Ian Gillan was a better frontman than fucking Tony Martin, though.

Octavarium didn't make sense to me, but I started going off Dream Theater after Portnoy's ego basically took over the rest of the band and Petrucci became all super-pumped up. You guys were supposed to be nerds, dammit!! You guys are the reason we all started actually wanting to learn music theory when we were kids, what happened?! The fact that they listed Coldplay as an influence for Octavarium should've set alarm bells off, really.

What else... I recently got Days of Grays by Sonata Arctica (yeah, I know, I'm about 3 years behind, screw you) and well, it wasn't what I expected. I'm not sure if I like it or not yet, but it will need a few more listens. I also got Varjoina Kuljemme Kuolleiden Maassa (I think I spelled that right) by Moonsorrow, and that WAS a big disappointment. Way fewer folk influences than the last records, and really not what I was expecting at all. They seemed to focus more on just droning heavy material, which is alright, but a lot of the epic-ness was lost. Pity, because I really like their other stuff and Voimasta Ja Kunniasta is one of my favourite albums ever, and has been a massive influence.

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:53 pm

NeonVomit wrote:.. I recently got Days of Grays by Sonata Arctica (yeah, I know, I'm about 3 years behind, screw you)
that is one Im gonna try to avoid for years, maybe 12 o 13 years from now Ill buy it.

born again wasnt even supposed to be a sabbath record, and they should have stick to that plan.

I bought The savage poetry (edguy) and that means the only album left to buy to complete that collection is Theater Of Salvation, one album I despise.
what you guys think about that one¿
A9

Krigo

Post by Krigo » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:23 am

Theater of Salvation is decent, I love the title track, Wake Up the King and Land of the Miracle but the rest is just skippable for me especially Arrows Fly (which doesn't really go anywhere)

Days of Grays is an album that me and my brother bought back in 2009. We ended up leaving it back in my step dad's at Canada and we only listened to two tracks on the album (The Last Amazing Grays and Flag in the Ground) as we skipped the first two. Needless to say that the rest of the album was a gigantic disappointment, including Deathaura that was a total mess.

Regardless, I have five tracks from Days of Grays still on my computer after I ripped the album: The Last Amazing Grays, Flag in the Ground, The Truth is Out There and In the Dark. The album just felt like a gigantic step back from Unia and the less said about Stones Grow Her Name is better. It makes DOG look amazing.

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:02 am

NeonVomit wrote:I've never listened to Born Again, mostly because of how crap everyone says it was.
Go for it, you might be surprised. Ian Gillan in Sabbath sounds a bit too much like Ian Gillan in Deep Purple to me and the production sucks, but it still has some really good songs. Disturbing The Priest might have the single most evil riff ever written by man.
NeonVomit wrote:I also got Varjoina Kuljemme Kuolleiden Maassa (I think I spelled that right) by Moonsorrow, and that WAS a big disappointment. Way fewer folk influences than the last records, and really not what I was expecting at all. They seemed to focus more on just droning heavy material, which is alright, but a lot of the epic-ness was lost. Pity, because I really like their other stuff and Voimasta Ja Kunniasta is one of my favourite albums ever, and has been a massive influence.
I loved the first three albums and indeed especially Voimasta ja Kunniasta, which has been a very important album for me as well, but then came Verisäkeet, which was a bit too raw and black metal for my liking and the ones after that simply didn't seem or sound interesting for me anymore.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:01 pm

Mormegil wrote:
NeonVomit wrote:I've never listened to Born Again, mostly because of how crap everyone says it was.
Go for it, you might be surprised. Ian Gillan in Sabbath sounds a bit too much like Ian Gillan in Deep Purple to me and the production sucks, but it still has some really good songs. Disturbing The Priest might have the single most evil riff ever written by man.
Ok, I'll give it a try...
NeonVomit wrote:I also got Varjoina Kuljemme Kuolleiden Maassa (I think I spelled that right) by Moonsorrow, and that WAS a big disappointment. Way fewer folk influences than the last records, and really not what I was expecting at all. They seemed to focus more on just droning heavy material, which is alright, but a lot of the epic-ness was lost. Pity, because I really like their other stuff and Voimasta Ja Kunniasta is one of my favourite albums ever, and has been a massive influence.
I loved the first three albums and indeed especially Voimasta ja Kunniasta, which has been a very important album for me as well, but then came Verisäkeet, which was a bit too raw and black metal for my liking and the ones after that simply didn't seem or sound interesting for me anymore.
I actually liked Verisäkeet, (the tribute to De Mysteriis on the first track was equal parts hilarious and genius) and the record's folk outro was spinechilling, but I get what you mean. After that I think they just got tired of putting so much in the music. I guess I need to listen to the newer stuff more, maybe...

HinatAArcticA

Post by HinatAArcticA » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:13 am

adrian9 wrote:yeah, after years and years of denial my collector brain side told me to complete every cd collection I have.

in order to do that , I HAD to buy Load by Metallica and Virtual XI by Iron Maiden.
So what? I have Mike Oldfield's Earth Moving, one of the most mediocre albums EVER... although I don't think ANYONE here knows who Mike REALLY is :)

Bottom line: A Complete Collection Rules
No need to feel so afraid, colors last a lifetime and fade to gray...
Tony Kakko

Krigo

Post by Krigo » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:14 am

To be honest, all of the albums listed so far are leagues above Saana – Warrior of Light Pt 1. Unless anyone wants to prove me wrong.

And before you guys ask, I don't own the album. :(

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:59 pm

Never heard it apart from a couple of samples, decided it wasn't my sort of thing, and forgot about it. What's the deal? I didn't even read any reviews or anything - I was just indifferent.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:13 am

how do we prove you wrong about your least favorite album?
we can prove you aren't the person that get's to decide what is good and bad for other people, but we can't tell you to prefer one album more than another.

people get to make any aesthetic subjective choice they want, and be correct in that preference, as they decide it, so it's valid to them, this does not make it valid for others

HoldenCaulfield

Post by HoldenCaulfield » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:22 am

icecab21 wrote:how do we prove you wrong about your least favorite album?
we can prove you aren't the person that get's to decide what is good and bad for other people, but we can't tell you to prefer one album more than another.

people get to make any aesthetic subjective choice they want, and be correct in that preference, as they decide it, so it's valid to them, this does not make it valid for others

Dear Icetrap,

Was that really necessary?

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:01 pm

icecab21 wrote:how do we prove you wrong about your least favorite album?

You raise a good point Icecar12... well the way I see it, the percieved value of art is subjective, but it's like, subjective up to a point. I mean, you could go so far as to say that what Britney Spears puts out is 'art' in the technical sense, but 'art' is a category that also includes Mozart. Someone who believes there is greater intrinsic artistic value in Britney Spears' music than there is in Mozart's could probably be said to be 'wrong' in an objective sense. This doesn't go to say that someone liking Britney more than Mozart is wrong - I mean, the 36th Symphony wouldn't be too effective on the dancefloor, so if someone is into that sort of thing then you can't really blame them for liking Britney more... get what I mean?

To look at it in a wider context, what do you classify as art though? That's also a tricky question. Like, for example, the dude who designed the chair you're sitting on now might consider it art - he put his creativity, knowledge and skill into it, and made a lot of effort to create something both practical and aesthetically pleasing. You probably haven't even looked at the chair (I bet you are now) in that way before, much less considered it a work of art.

The thing is, in this thread we're dealing with metal bands, which means we could probably consider all the records mentioned as art. Metal doesn't tend to be music created for the sole purpose of mass-consumption and to raise huge amounts of money via radio and tv airplay. Once you take out the requirement for mainstream mass appeal, it leaves the artists more opportunity to explore what they want to do.

But up to a point... for example, look at Sonata Arctica exploring their musical abilities and tastes with Days of Greys. Maybe they just got tired of putting out 4/4 power metal in slow, mid-tempo, and fast and wanted to try something different. Someone more dramatic than I could say that SA might be under the tyranny of the fans tempted to stick to what they, the fans, are comfortable and familiar with, effectively stifling their own artistic expression. If they put out a re-creation of Silence next, would they be expressing themselves as artists and musicians? Even if the fans love it, if the artists themselves don't, can you say it's genuine? Authentic? Even really 'art'?

What is 'better' or not? Well, nobody can say. Sales figures aren't a good barometer. Is 'better' defined by what moves you more and influences you more? Well yeah, but music is not going to affect everyone in the same way.

I guess the point of this thread is to take artists whose work you really love, and say why you dislike X Y or Z album. I mean, people have been explaining why they dislike Chameleon and Born Again, and haven't been saying 'if you like this album you have no taste!', so it's been informative enough I suppose.

To answer your question, you can't prove anyone wrong about their least favourite album. Attempting to do so is an exercise in futility. The only thing that you can do is suggest they listen to it again with a different mindset... the rest is up to the mind.

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:11 am

NeonVomit wrote:The thing is, in this thread we're dealing with metal bands, which means we could probably consider all the records mentioned as art. Metal doesn't tend to be music created for the sole purpose of mass-consumption and to raise huge amounts of money via radio and tv airplay. Once you take out the requirement for mainstream mass appeal, it leaves the artists more opportunity to explore what they want to do.
this paragrahp is just way too naive.

all "metal" records are "art" for the sole fact of being "metal"?? are you in manowar or some shit??

this is the music industry , only the clothes and the name changes, of course there is mass consumption and money involved *, the hip hop, pop, country industry is all the same; I cannot believe you really think dudes at metal labels pick bands because they are very artistic,or they have the most intense lyrics ever, because they dont!; I also dont remember a metal band with a chubby/girl vocalist??!? do i? (yes im using the "adele" card)

other than that, pop music is as valid art because everybody can like a pop tune in one moment or another, im pretty sure you dig some of that shit, and me too, and perhaps everybody in this forum.
not to mention they outnumber any demographic/music style preference studies.

I cannot justify that every metal is art because is metal........come on bro.

*of course not, paul mc cartney, gene simmons, sebastian bach, axl rose, slash, dave grohl, all those guys lives in flats in some downtown street somewhere.
A9

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:45 am

people have been explaining why they dislike Chameleon

but I can't listen to Chameleon, it's just baaad.
I can listen to X because X is Good, I Can't listen to Y because Y is Baaad.

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:15 am

Review......THIS!!!

perv

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:27 am

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:Review......THIS!!!

perv
Offensive. Even a grain of rice would be more filling. :roll:
---...---