Portnoy joins Bigelf

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
Rebel
Portnoy joins Bigelf

Post by Rebel » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:04 am

Those of you who remember progressive nation 2009 may recall Bigelf, a classic prog band in the style of king crimson meets black Sabbath. Portnoy was a big fan of theirs and their record cheat the gallows was a big hit. After that and a tour with porcupine tree they fell off the map. Apparently they subsequently broke up and, at the encouragement of Mr portnoy the band leader, songwriter, lead vocalist, and organ player, Damon Fox has reformed the band with Portnoy himself on drums. The bands previous bassist has also signed on board.

Bigelf has been one of my all time favorite bands, and their last release is the best album I've ever heard. Im nervous about portnoy joining, as I really liked the old drummers, very unique style, and I don't trust portnoy with more straightforward drumming that focuses on creativity before technicality. It also worries me that their guitarist quit because his solos are phenomenal.

Still, Damon fox was the genius of the band and its exciting to see him back recording music after 5 years without anything new.
They let us have signatures on this forum???

RazielSR

Re: Portnoy joins Bigelf

Post by RazielSR » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:13 am

Well, I'm not a fan of Bigelf, but I suppose it is cool. Portnoy...well...I suppose this is another chapter in his musical rollercoaster since he left DT.
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:24 am

I loved bigelf, I was wondering wtf happened with them, im gonna check out their website and see that portnoy news ..
A9

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:39 am

Mike Portnoy is the biggest wanker on the planet. My worst nightmare is that he joins Stratovarius and begins growling during live performances of Hunting High and Low. :nervous:

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:01 pm

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:Mike Portnoy is the biggest wanker on the planet. My worst nightmare is that he joins Stratovarius and begins growling during live performances of Hunting High and Low. :nervous:
Imagine Portnoy growling Forever... :x :x :x
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:35 pm

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:Mike Portnoy is the biggest wanker on the planet. My worst nightmare is that he joins Stratovarius and begins growling during live performances of Hunting High and Low. :nervous:
I'm torn. Without Portnoy, Bigelf wouldn't have reformed, but with Portnoy, I might not want to hear what they're doing. ACK.

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:38 pm

RazielSR wrote:
Even the thought of him growling temporarily makes me shudder... :nervous:

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:56 am

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
RazielSR wrote:
Even the thought of him growling temporarily makes me shudder... :nervous:
I would vomit if he growled, or sung at all, on the new Bigelf album.

brought2ubyletterC

Post by brought2ubyletterC » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:02 am

Sh*tty growling and douchebag behavior aside, Portnoy is an awesome f*ckin' drummer and it is an injustice to music that he's not in a prog metal band somewhere. So I'm glad to hear he's going back to his roots. F*ck that Adrenaline Mob sh*t.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:38 am

brought2ubyletterC wrote:Sh*tty growling and douchebag behavior aside, Portnoy is an awesome f*ckin' drummer and it is an injustice to music that he's not in a prog metal band somewhere. So I'm glad to hear he's going back to his roots. F*ck that Adrenaline Mob sh*t.
I'd actually rather have their old drummer. I'm not convinced Portnoy is right for this gig.

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:30 am

brought2ubyletterC wrote:Sh*tty growling and douchebag behavior aside, Portnoy is an awesome f*ckin' drummer and it is an injustice to music that he's not in a prog metal band somewhere. So I'm glad to hear he's going back to his roots. F*ck that Adrenaline Mob sh*t.
Wh*t do*s th*s accompl*sh?? :roll:

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:02 am

rebels thoughts are more important than damons, hope damon honers that.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:55 am

icecab21 wrote:rebels thoughts are more important than damons, hope damon honers that.
:lol:

You know, there might have been personal matters that went into that decision, but I'd wager if Damon had the opportunity to record another album with the Cheat the Gallows lineup, he would, that lineup was perfect, and Froth has been their drummer since very near the beginning. By the sounds of it though, their lead guitarist (Who was a monster guitarist, I saw him play a solo with a smaller guitar slide over just his pinky, while using his other three fingers to layer a tapping solo on top of it, it was out of this world) quit after the extensive touring with Dream Theater and Porcupine Tree, and after that the bassist and drummer decided the band probably wasn't going to move forward.

My guess is the only reason Bigelf is back alive is because Portnoy has the hookups within InsideOut records (Which is the perfect record label for Bigelf) to get them back on their feet financially, and was willing to personally encourage Damon to get the band back together, and I'm really thankful to Portnoy for that.

However, Frothingham's style was a perfect fit for Bigelf, and it was who he was as a drummer first and foremost. Portnoy is a very complicated big picture crazy drummer, and while I'm sure he can calm it down when the record requires, I'm not sure how well he'll excel in that role.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQuH2FomK2U
^Steve Frothingham is a boss

my bigger worry though, is who they'll get to play lead guitar, their original lead guitarist is dead, and the replacement (the aforementioned Ace Mark) doesn't seem interested in returning. They're going to need to find someone extremely talented, and most of all, extremely flashy. Maybe Portnoy knows a guy, maybe Damon will do it himself. I just know that, if the CTG lineup were recording this album, I'd have no worries, but I'm not so sure now.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:36 am

ill just hope damon only does what he is artistically ok with, and that he would not do it with people he did not think could bring the vision to light. it's not like this music makes much, so no reason to do it if the others can't be what he wants them to be.

brought2ubyletterC

Post by brought2ubyletterC » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:09 am

Wh*t do*s th*s accompl*sh??
Sorry, it's an old habit. Back in the early days of forums, the curse words used to be cut out altogether or replaced with the word "blank", so I figured writing it with one of the vowels missing would get around that. And I try to be respectful of folks who may not like to always read curse words.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:12 pm

icecab21 wrote:ill just hope damon only does what he is artistically ok with, and that he would not do it with people he did not think could bring the vision to light. it's not like this music makes much, so no reason to do it if the others can't be what he wants them to be.
That's a good point. I've just got my fingers crossed that they find a guitarist that's as good as Ace Mark for this album.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:44 am

brought2ubyletterC wrote:
Wh*t do*s th*s accompl*sh??
Sorry, it's an old habit. Back in the early days of forums, the curse words used to be cut out altogether or replaced with the word "blank", so I figured writing it with one of the vowels missing would get around that. And I try to be respectful of folks who may not like to always read curse words.
Uhhhh.... :? have you read any of this forum in the last decade? I don't think colourful language would even register on the charred, withered husks of the spiritually crippled people who come here anymore.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

brought2ubyletterC

Post by brought2ubyletterC » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:31 am

Yes, as you can see from my registration date, I have been here all that time. I don't know, I guess it's my way of trying to be respectful, or to keep in mind those instances where there might actually be kids reading this! :lol: