What do you read?

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
cliff
Re: What do you read?

Post by cliff » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:05 pm

MaFiaBoY wrote:I'm currently short on cash so I'm basically re-reading some of my classics. At the moment i'm reading Lolita for the seventh time
LOL, I was reading this book for a second time not a long time ago! It's a really good one.
Right now I'm between The Da Vinci Code in finnish, and Dean Koontz's "Odd Thomas".
<b>This is wrong</b>

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:29 pm

Shit loads of books! I have a pile of books waiting for me on my desk, five books on the subject of Idea and cultural history. Currently I'm reading one called From Plato to the Fall of Communism. Should start re-reading the books for the sociology exam I have tomorrow. One is big as a brick, it's called Sociology, hehe.

Today I borrowed Virginia Woolf's To the Lighthouse. Don't know when I have time to read it though. The last to novels I read are Hemingway's For Whom the Bell Tolls and Old Man and the Sea. For Whom... is superb, it's a bit too romantic perhaps, but this book is so addicting and hypnotic that I just couldn't stop reading it. It's the details that make this book what it is. The other one isn't bad either, very simple and beautiful language. Maybe a bit boring in the middle, despite the book's few pages.

nepi

Post by nepi » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:44 pm

I have a book with poems from Heinrich Hesse. From time to time, I read some poems. He wrote awesome poems, really great!
you can't kill my dreams
you can't kill my spirit
I was born to be FREE!

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:51 am

I have started reading Le Morte de Arthur online. That should occupy me for awhile! I also saved online version of Wuthering Heights, and there is some esoteric&mysterious stuff I am going to read on Sacred-Texts&Theology101 sites. Also, Kalevala!
The last paperback book I read was DaVinci Code, and I will be glad when the DVD is coming out! Very soon!
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:06 pm

- Håkan Thörn: Globaliseringens Dimensioner
- Aleksandra Ålund: Multikultiungdom
- Lalander Johansson: Ungdomsgrupper i teori och praktik
- Ulla Björnberg: Att leva själv tillsammans
- John Tosh: Historisk teori och metod
- Thomas Munck: The Enlightenment. A Comparative Social History 1721-1794
- Peter Burke: Varieties of Cultural History
- J.W. Burrow: The Crisis of Reason. European Thought, 1848-1914
- Setälä, Suvanto, Viikari: Historiankirjoituksen Historia.

:crazy2:

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:16 pm

I started reading some Aleister Crowley stuff last night. Thelema. I had to stop because it actually began to make alot of sense! :eek:

Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

Morgana

Post by Morgana » Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:48 pm

C.Q.Yarbro - Hotel "Transilvania". Nice book about vampire's love to alive woman. I haven't been read about beautiful love for a long time. This book makes you understand that even death is weaker than love... :)

I'm going to read another book of the same author - "Path Of The Eclipse"

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:15 am

The Turner Diaries
For the fourth time.
I don't know why such a fuss was made about this book. Not much cussing, no sex, but I do understand why the Government wanted it banned. After all, The police&military exist, in part, to protect the Upper class&famous. It was like a violent Class war worldwide, with a horrific terrorist act at the end of the book. I won't discuss it in case there are "stool pigeons" who are uncomfortable with people discussing things like this. :roll:
I don't understand why it has not been made into a movie. It would be a blockbuster in the right conditions&creator.

stratobabius

Post by stratobabius » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:29 am

Physiology of the human body Part 1.
Pretty small, about 300 pages... I'll probably finish it by tomorrow...

StratoTimo

Post by StratoTimo » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:37 am

Aku Ankkaa täällä luetaan! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Meikä Ankka

nepi

Post by nepi » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:47 pm

I just read "Glaube Liebe Hoffnung" from Horvath (in english: faith love hope)
It's a good book but you have to travel back in this time...
you can't kill my dreams
you can't kill my spirit
I was born to be FREE!

stratobabius

Post by stratobabius » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Oops I almost forgot another book I read some days ago...
It's something I'd happily send to miditek, so that I could get his opinion. :)
It's named The Invincible Truth, and you can guess what's it about. (mostly about everything that's written in the serious topics in this thread, but from a different perspective)
Bad thing is, (for most of the people here) that's it's only written in Greek.

MetalAngel

Post by MetalAngel » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:46 pm

Your posts! :lol:
Toutes choses étant égales, par ailleurs, la solution la plus simple est toujours la meilleure.

Spirit Of Metal Webzine : http://www.spirit-of-metal.com

www.myspace.com/metalangelmusic

Equinox

Post by Equinox » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:25 pm

I just bought and started reading Next by Michael Crichton, and he even SIGNED IT himself.

Here are the pics!!:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/T ... Photo4.jpg

By the way...he's the guy who wrote Jurrasic Park, The Lost World, Timeline and ER.

:D
"Insanity: A Perfect Rational Adjustment To An Insane World"

nepi

Post by nepi » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:45 pm

I'm getting jealous ;)

I have read Jurassic Parc and Lost World too and they aren't bad indeed. The different to the movie are interesting...
you can't kill my dreams
you can't kill my spirit
I was born to be FREE!

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:52 pm

I'm still not through that long list in my last post. In the evenings I read Ernest Hemingway's The Sun Also Rises. I wish I had more time to read "rubbish"...

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:09 pm

My son gave me 2 Michael Curtis Ford books. hey seem to be about medieval fantasy stuff. He just said, "Mama, these are up your alley, I think you will like 'em." ???
He goes to these used book bookstores&buys sackfulls of paperback books--like a sack for $10.00, or so. He keeps the ones he likes&gives me the leftovers. :roll: Most of them wind up in the garbage, or in my Yard Sale boxes.
However, sometimes I get some good ones-like these Ford books. I looked him up&he is a widely read author.
My son now is on the lookout for Celestine Prophecy book. He found me DaVinci Code(his GF is obsessed with that stuff)&hopefully, he will run across CP. The CP Movie is at Wal-Mart, btw. :) He is going to get that on his next movie-buying spree! :D

Equinox

Post by Equinox » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:27 pm

Last book I read:

Eyewitness Auschwitz:
3 Years in the Gas Chambers.

-By Fillip Müller
"Insanity: A Perfect Rational Adjustment To An Insane World"

exe knight

Post by exe knight » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:46 am

i don't count Aku Ankka for this...

I think i mostly read these forums and lyrics, if not counting computer or games, then i think it's school work only, if not counting school work, then it's... things i have written on my drawings, and lyricks made by myself, i already have finished 11 by the way...really Stratoish, I gotta meet Tolkki someday...

offtopic: does anyone know Tolkki's email adress? does he have one?

MetalAngel

Post by MetalAngel » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:10 pm

A book by Arto Paasilinna and a Garfield album.
Toutes choses étant égales, par ailleurs, la solution la plus simple est toujours la meilleure.

Spirit Of Metal Webzine : http://www.spirit-of-metal.com

www.myspace.com/metalangelmusic

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:47 pm

I just finished reading Timothy Zahn's sequel trilogy to the old StarWars movies. IMO the only worthy sequel to the movies.
But the end is really disappointing. I admit that I prefer the Empire anyways, they are simply cooler than the Rebels (*ggg*), and of course I expected the Alliance to win in the end again. But the end of Grand Admiral Thrawn, after reading the books IMO the best character in the whole StarWars universe (Zahn describes his charisma and his tactical genie perfectly), is absolutely disappointing and cheap. Too quick and cheap. There was no way for the Rebels to defeat him, and then betrayal is the solution in the end of the books to completely switch the situation.
Well, anyways, an entertaining trilogy, worth to read. Too bad that Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill and the others are now too old for a picturisation of these books.

miditek

Post by miditek » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:45 pm

I recently finished James Bradley's "Flags of our Fathers", which is an account of the lives of three of the surviving flag raisers at Iwo Jima. There has been a recent motion picture based on this book as well.

What those guys faced at Iwo Jima was completely beyond comprehension. The scale of slaughter there was quite bad, with over 7,000 Americans KIA (Killed in Action), as well as virtually the entire Japanese garrison of over 21,000 troops. One of my best friend's father was there, who passed away about five years ago. I gave the book to my friend after I finished reading it.

Bradley's father, John Bradley, was a Navy Corpsman (medic) that was awarded the Navy Cross, which is the highest honor (other than the Congressional Medal of Honor) that Navy or Marine personnel can be awarded. Interestingly, Bradley's family knew nothing of his combat decorations until after his death.

Am also currently looking for books (in English) on Finland's Winter War, in addition to the Continuation War, if someone can recommend any, I'd be very appreciative.
&#922;&#973;&#961;&#953;&#949; &#7952;&#955;&#941;&#951;&#963;&#959;&#957;

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:38 pm

Hmmm.... I've never actually read a book from cover to cover on any of the Finnish wars.

But whatever you read, stay clear from Henrik Arnstad, a Swede with no eye for historical context and who thinks Finland is somehow trying to conceal the teaming up with Germany and the camps in which 3000 Russians died.

Obviously, he is not familiar with Finnish theses. Finns whipped their own ass more than enough during the period of Finlandization.

miditek

Post by miditek » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:11 am

I just picked up "The Ezekiel Option" by Joel C. Rosenberg, which is the author's present day interpretation of the Gog-Magog Invasion of Israel, (Russia and Persia, and a host of other nations) as foretold in Ezekiel 38-39.

This guy is a very good author, and the book starts out with bone-chilling suspense from the get go. Sort of like Tom Clancy a bit, without Clancy's penchant for slipping in too much from the "Star Fleet Technical Manual" into his prose. :lol:

In fact, I'm going through withdrawal right now, and must get back to the book! :)
&#922;&#973;&#961;&#953;&#949; &#7952;&#955;&#941;&#951;&#963;&#959;&#957;

the_black.iris

could i join?

Post by the_black.iris » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:12 pm

paulo coelho - all but his latest book
shakespeare - almost all plays, almost all his sonnets
thomas grey - an elegy written in a country graveyard (my favorite)
robert browning - my last dutchess(my favorite)
gerard manely hopkins - spring and fall: to a young child(my favorite)
gabriel garcia - 100 years of solitute(my favorite)
dan brown - angels and demons(my favorite), the da vinci code...
nadine gordimer - six feet of the country
and some more...
but generally midivil literature and philosiphically oriented books!

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:39 pm

Operations Manual Part B, Piper PA42 Cheyenne IIIA 8)

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:36 am

I bought Sven Lindqvist's Terra Nullius from book sales. It's a book about Australia and Aboriginies.

My GF got me Orwell's Homage to Catalonia.

Don't know when I have time to read them, I probably have to wait 'til summer. I'm occupied by heaps of articles and some books on Black Death for the time being.

I still have Comte de Lautréamont's Songs of Maldoror unread. Far out French prose poetry. I must've bought it more than a year ago.

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:29 pm

stratohawk wrote:Operations Manual Part B, Piper PA42 Cheyenne IIIA 8)
...and in the little freetime I have, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry - Courrier Sud