Recently seen movies

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
icecab21
Re: Recently seen movies

Post by icecab21 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:21 pm

I’m not sure I would call it a cliché plot, especially if you guys are only listing one other movie that uses it. In real life, there are lots of patterns and the same thing happens a lot in different ways. I think in a true story there are plenty of "one sentence same plot" stories but I don't think that takes away from the impact. For me it adds to the impact of the story since it's repeated in different ways.

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:44 pm

I’m not sure I would call it a cliché plot, especially if you guys are only listing one other movie that uses it.
Jake's speech to the Navi before the big battle in the end sounded a lot like William Wallace's speech in Braveheart (the one with FREEDOM!!!!!!). A colonist falling in love with a native princess is Pocahontas, more or less. Navi themselves are basically indians, with the chief, chief's shaman wife, a native princess, a great young and proud warrior who hates the colonisators at first, only 3m tall and blue. A big corporation cooperating with the military on some project and disregarding basic decency was also done to death in cinema. People controlling other bodies with their consciousness is also very old. Big sentient organism covering the whole planet, which Pandora's flora, fauna and Navi basically were, can be traced to Solaris.

But all of this doesn't really matter because the result is really good.

P.S. There was one unintentionally funny moment for Israelis in this movie - there was a line were the princess says to Jake that he's one of the Navi now and may choose a wife and starts listing the potential brides, the first that she mentions is called Ninet or Ninat and she's supposedly the best singer (in hebrew subtitles both look the same). It's a name of the first winner of our local American Idol clone, and she's still sort of popular here. The whole theater was hysterically laughing for a few minutes after that line.
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:48 pm

One can notice that common themes in movies are there because they are issues in real life. The movies are to make a statement to solve or spread awareness of a problem, if the problem still exists after one movie, another will be made to address the issue in a different way.

I bet you can find another time in history that a similar event has happened in any story. I think it would be better if people started talking more about the execution of the storyline rather than being surprised about some general archetype being used.

If things like a motivational military speech are cliché, what alternative would you recommend? I think it’s in there since it would be the common realistic practice and a sound strategy.

Falling in love with a native, that’s realistic and any other feelings between two people have been explored as well as well as any combination of sequences from normal to special cases with all sorts of brain chemicals and circumstances involved. I think its creating too broad a category that swallows anything up to say it’s a cliché that two people developed a relationship.
P.S. There was one unintentionally funny moment for Israelis in this movie - there was a line were the princess says to Jake that he's one of the Navi now and may choose a wife and starts listing the potential brides, the first that she mentions is called Ninet or Ninat and she's supposedly the best singer (in hebrew subtitles both look the same). It's a name of the first winner of our local American Idol clone, and she's still sort of popular here. The whole theater was hysterically laughing for a few minutes after that line.
. Interesting, the area where the movie is watched definitely affects the experience.

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:54 pm

icecab21 wrote:One can notice that common themes in movies are there because they are issues in real life. The movies are to make a statement to solve or spread awareness of a problem, if the problem still exists after one movie, another will be made to address the issue in a different way.

I bet you can find another time in history that a similar event has happened in any story. I think it would be better if people started talking more about the execution of the storyline rather than being surprised about some general archetype being used.

If things like a motivational military speech are cliché, what alternative would you recommend? I think it’s in there since it would be the common realistic practice and a sound strategy.

Falling in love with a native, that’s realistic and any other feelings between two people have been explored as well as well as any combination of sequences from normal to special cases with all sorts of brain chemicals and circumstances involved. I think its creating too broad a category that swallows anything up to say it’s a cliché that two people developed a relationship.
. Interesting, the area where the movie is watched definitely affects the experience.
I didn't say that those things haven't happened in real life, because they did. By cliche I meant that those stories were told a million times before, including the powerful speech before battle. Still, it doesn't matter because it's very well done in Avatar.

I'm also starting to feel that this movie grows on you after you've seen it. I will definitely watch it again in cinema.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:25 am

Those being realistic were my explanation for why they are used. I think it matters more how its done than that it's done.

ill see the movie tomorrow.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:32 am

:lol: :lol: I love it when things like that happen. When the Ali G movie came out, it was even funnier back home because there's actually a village there called Aligi, so everyone who lived there was assailed with calls of 'innit' and 'indahouse' and whatever else were his catchphrases.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:54 pm

I was going to write some sort of a review of Avatar, but I think Shurik already summarised pretty much everything there is to know about it. Characters were plain and a little too archetypal and you only need to see the trailer to know the plot down to every twist.

..But
It was the most beautiful and visually stunning film I've ever seen. Nothing else comes even close.

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:19 pm

I have no words to describe this absolutely incredible visual masterpiece, called Avatar. Awesome.

Archetypical story, etc, but all the typical things you have seen before, are different in this movie thanks to the artistic level.

Simply amazing. I don't know if I've ever had the feeling of buying again the ticket once the movie was finished, just to watch it again , but those were my thoughts last night.
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:05 pm

Reading all this good review, I guess I'm gonna give it a try. It's a shame I have to wait 'till 01/01/2010 :?
|StratoFan Forever|

Polaris

Post by Polaris » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:08 pm

RazielSR wrote:I have no words to describe this absolutely incredible visual masterpiece, called Avatar. Awesome.

Archetypical story, etc, but all the typical things you have seen before, are different in this movie thanks to the artistic level.

Simply amazing. I don't know if I've ever had the feeling of buying again the ticket once the movie was finished, just to watch it again , but those were my thoughts last night.
Reading your comments gave me more desire to see the movie!:)
I like James Cameron, he is one of my fave directors! :)

The last movie I saw (from TV) was The Pursuit of Happyness with Will Smith, this is a life lesson :)
He ate what the heck crumpled but managed to get there ... :D

Arkash

Post by Arkash » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:58 am

I wont talk about Avatar for decades, cause I'm doing it a lot those times on the French-ciname-website Allocine and it gets really philosophical and sometimes violent between the lovers of the movies and the haters, but for me it is the best movie of the decade (and I'm a cinema student and go to the theathers as much as I can!)!!!!

Alreaday saw the movie 3 times and planning to go again 2 or 3 more times!
Through the storms we've wandered
Many mountains we have climbed
But all the bad times are behind
The road is free - I'm coming home

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:31 pm

Ok, I saw Avatar as well 2 days ago.

It's basically the Star Wars of our generation. It really raises the bar technologically while maintaining a simple storyline, which helps you become even more engrossed in it. With such a feast for the senses, a complex and subtle plot would have probably overloaded the viewer. In terms of its message it was about as subtle as a brick in the face, but it worked well. The film didn't rely on the 3D stuff, but it was effectively used. It was well-casted and acted. No truly sublime performances but they served their purpose, which is what one tends to see in these huge films if you think about it. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts, which is probably why no really major stars had leading roles.

Generally an incredible achievement, and James Cameron said that if this one is successful there will be two sequels. Considering that there's already a strong Oscar buzz, it's looking likely.

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:07 pm

NeonVomit wrote: Generally an incredible achievement, and James Cameron said that if this one is successful there will be two sequels. Considering that there's already a strong Oscar buzz, it's looking likely.
And it will earn loads and loads of money, making sequels a reality. It earned so far something like 310 million $ worldwide and it's only the first week. Here in Israel you have to order tickets few days before going to cinema in order to get good seats.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:58 pm

Shurik wrote:
NeonVomit wrote: Generally an incredible achievement, and James Cameron said that if this one is successful there will be two sequels. Considering that there's already a strong Oscar buzz, it's looking likely.
And it will earn loads and loads of money, making sequels a reality. It earned so far something like 310 million $ worldwide and it's only the first week. Here in Israel you have to order tickets few days before going to cinema in order to get good seats.
And it cost more than a usual movie ticket here. It was 12 euros, a usual ticket is 8 (I'm in Cyprus for the holidays).

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:59 pm

NeonVomit wrote:
Shurik wrote:
And it cost more than a usual movie ticket here. It was 12 euros, a usual ticket is 8 (I'm in Cyprus for the holidays).
More or less the same here - ~25% difference in ticket price.

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:44 am

I don't understand you compremesis's. Why pay money to see avatars when there are plenty of great ones here in the stratoforum? :roll: :roll:

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:26 pm

Always A10 breaking the ice and the thread's environment :D
NeonVomit wrote:Ok, I saw Avatar as well 2 days ago.

It's basically the Star Wars of our generation. It really raises the bar technologically while maintaining a simple storyline, which helps you become even more engrossed in it. With such a feast for the senses, a complex and subtle plot would have probably overloaded the viewer. In terms of its message it was about as subtle as a brick in the face, but it worked well. The film didn't rely on the 3D stuff, but it was effectively used. It was well-casted and acted. No truly sublime performances but they served their purpose, which is what one tends to see in these huge films if you think about it. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts, which is probably why no really major stars had leading roles.

Generally an incredible achievement, and James Cameron said that if this one is successful there will be two sequels. Considering that there's already a strong Oscar buzz, it's looking likely.
Couldn't see another comment summarising best everybody's ideas :)
Now I can't wait :D
|StratoFan Forever|

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:28 pm

Up in the Air.

The beginning was cheesy, but then the movie developed nicely. It was worth watching. :)

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:54 pm

Paranormal Activity

For a movie named Paranormal Activity, there was surprisingly little actual paranormal activity and most of it were just random noises and loud footsteps. I liked the movie, but it's definitely nothing new or revolutionary. Or that scary ...

Lurdi

Post by Lurdi » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:06 pm

The Holiday.
I loved this movie! I loved the actors too, Jude Law, Kate Winslet, Cameron Diaz who is not an excellent actress but the character suited her so well!

Morgana

Post by Morgana » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:19 pm

Lurdi wrote:The Holiday.
I loved this movie! I loved the actors too, Jude Law, Kate Winslet, Cameron Diaz who is not an excellent actress but the character suited her so well!
Nice movie, I'm agree :)

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:12 am

Drag Me To Hell

Great horror/dark comedy from Sam Raimi (the one from Evil Dead series and those little Spiderman films). It's about the dangers of pissing off old gypsy women.
10/10.

Surrogates

Average and bland sci-fi thriller, totally forgettable.
5/10.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:43 am

ANGELS&DEMONS

A very good movie, but WARNING, its not entirely like the book so if you have read the book do not expect the movie to be a copy. ;) OTOH, if you have not read the book, see the movie first. :)

An assassin in a business suit? :D Sorry, but I find that unintentionally funny. And he was supposed to be Middle Eastern/Iraqi or Iranian but he was European, instead. I guess Ron Howard did not want to cause controversy.
BTW, look for the Cardinal with the Southern USA accent: he is Ron Howards father! ;)

And, the Camerlengo was supposed to have been Spanish, but instead he was Irish. I guess they could not expect Ewan McGregor to pass for A Carlo. Maybe Ron should have went for Antonio Banderas? ???
But, Ewan did pull off the evil, unstable Camerlengo role very well. I cannot really criticize. >shrug<
But, by making him Irish, much of the backstory that created his personality, etc. was whisked away. Very noticably lacking if you did read the book.

Speaking of backstory, Vittorias adoptive father became merely a co worker which got killed off very early in the film. Erasing most of her religious and personal involvement in the whole plot of the movie. Langdon did not even meet her until later in the film, and there were no sparks or love scene at the end, as in the book. It was like some of the plot points got whacked off, or something! :D

Dr. Koehler, one of the main characters in the book was completely written out, but a minor character, Father Simeon, sort of pulled off Koehlors role. Sort of. :roll:
And Richter and Olivetti switched personalities: Olivetti became the kind guy and Rocher, the smartass. :lol:

Oh, well a person has to do their own comparisons. I know when adapting a book to a movie a crew cannot do everything exactly the same, but when it deviates THAT much people get kinda pissed, or at least a tad disappointed! :D

Still, I did like this movie and I will buy it: when it lands in the bargain bin at WalMart! ;)

Finally, Tom Hanks did prove(in the swimming pool scene) that a fifty plus year old man can take great care of himself, and be very fit! ;)

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:41 am

I just got back from the movies where I watched avatar 3d. Now boring in one extra dimension! :roll:

I actually felt personal embarrassment at the stupidity that was unveiled before my eyes. There isn't a shred of originality in the whole film, and the entire premise is Marxist nonsense- greedy capitalist whites disrupt the way of life of spiritually attuned jackass Indians. And of course, they are gathered around a tree of life linking arms and singing African hymns.

Its pretty much Pocahontas with strange blue aliens leaping around forests fighting lizards for 3 hours. And regarding the matrimony of human and blue alien woman? That should be illegal. I mean, that's just plain disgusting.

AAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAA » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:56 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:25 pm

What other movies have the avatar? Does that not count as being original?

So you think it's capitalism to over property by force? Have not seen that before. Marxists took property by force so I’m not sure what the fuck you are getting but Marxism certainly does not have the same philosophy as the Indians

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:38 pm

icecab21 wrote:What other movies have the avatar? Does that not count as being original?
No, it does not count. The avatars were a detail, but the characters, conflicts, and plot lines were not original.
So you think it's capitalism to over property by force? Have not seen that before.
Angry group of technologically advanced money-crazed marines kill primitive natives for their natural resources and destroy their precious forest in the process. Sprinkle in a few bush-era "fighting terror" and "shock-and-awe" quotes in to seal the deal. :lol:

Look, if you liked the movie and thought it was groundbreaking and innovative, I don't want to ruin it for you. I know you have a moral objection with people drawing conclusions about anything and its probably useless to argue about it. The bottom line is, I thought the movie was crap. Please don't respond with "since when does crap have blue aliens in it!!" or "what kind of crap takes 3 hours to finish!?". For the love of god, icecab. :roll:

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:50 pm

The setting is part of the plot line. what other movie tells this story in this setting?

The avatar is an essential part of the plot line since it provides many motivations and causes and effects. The quadriplegic wants use of his legs back and works with the military guy to do so, at the end of the movie the character gets transferred permanently to the avatar. That’s all part of the plot and driving force of the movie. the character would have been killed if not for the avatar. she character was only not killed because of the seed of the tree. the character won back the trust of the tribe by connecting with the big flying creature. these are essential parts of the story and must count as plot devices.

since when do major details and events not count as a plot? i guess you are happy with oversimplification.

seems you are saying "only the details are original".

Are you going to tie anything into the principals of capitalism? Capitalism is about trade, not about taking over by the ignition of force. There is no inherit trait about capitalism that involves killing others to gain access to resources. this movie is more about the ethical decisions of companies and the power of shareholders. it tries to get people more aware of products they buy and the process it took to take those products to market.

Marxism? What does that have anything to do with this movie? Marxists took over people land by force and killed millions in doing so; I think that taking over land by force is more the principal of Marxism than the principal of capitalism.

What the fuck about saying “white man” there is no “white man”, there are individuals that make these decisions and people of any color can make the choices. It’s more about a philosophy than some ethnic group.

Its not about originality, it’s about a story that has real life ethical implications. About a story that people have experienced before and people continue to experience. About the ethical implications of the way people negotiate with each other, treat each other, and do business with one another. It’s a movie about how we use resources and science. Its also about how we treat each others ideas, do we consider them as ideas that can help us out in the world, or do we brush them off no matter what their practical relevance can be if we were to take the time to see the point of view?

This stuff is taught in colleges and in business, in history classes, and business classes, I don’t think it’s irrelevant and I think it has an ethical importance.

How come when I question the facts of what you say, all of a sudden I don’t want you to have an opinion? I don’t care if you liked the movie, but what you are saying, such as linking this to Marxism and saying a plot has nothing to do with setting , is just factual wrong

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:32 am

No matter icecar, it was just my general impression. As the saying goes, "arguing with you is like arguing with someone from the special olympics." Or whatever. :lol:

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:25 am

I think the director is phenomenal when it comes to drama movies, but something like Avatar just isn't his best field.
I have not watched it yet, and I'm not planning to. No, no... it's not because A10 said it sucked, but because those types of movies are not made for me (or at least my likes). It's too based on fictional illusion. I prefer realism. :)