US president 2008: Candidates, discussion, and the rest...

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
NeonVomit
Re: US president 2008: Candidates, discussion, and the rest...

Post by NeonVomit » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:06 am

browneyedgirl wrote:
NeonVomit wrote:
miditek wrote:A humorous quote that I saw in regards to Decision 2008:

"The world is the Not OK Corral right now, and we need both Wyatt Eaarp and Doc Holiday to ride into town, kick some butt, and take some hypenated names"

- Dennis Miller, regarding candidates in the 2008 Presidential Campaign. :lol:
Yeah, that really worked splendidly in Iraq!
I don't think Miller was referring to Iraq. :err:

<just trying to keep this thread lighthearted&fun> :buh:
And I'm just using it as a chance to take pot-shots at every single potential candidate and commentator.

I don't discriminate :D
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:17 pm

NeonVomit wrote:
browneyedgirl wrote:
NeonVomit wrote:
miditek wrote:A humorous quote that I saw in regards to Decision 2008:

"The world is the Not OK Corral right now, and we need both Wyatt Eaarp and Doc Holiday to ride into town, kick some butt, and take some hypenated names"

- Dennis Miller, regarding candidates in the 2008 Presidential Campaign. :lol:
Yeah, that really worked splendidly in Iraq!
I don't think Miller was referring to Iraq. :err:

<just trying to keep this thread lighthearted&fun> :buh:
And I'm just using it as a chance to take pot-shots at every single potential candidate and commentator.

I don't discriminate :D
Boy, I'll never forget the 2000 campaign--that became a comedians paradise! :lol:
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:08 pm

browneyedgirl wrote:
Boy, I'll never forget the 2000 campaign--that became a comedians paradise! :lol:
Which is what everyone secretly wants!

Any Scientologists running? Of all the religions in the world, that one probably takes the prize for the most phony and ridiculous...

miditek

Post by miditek » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:21 pm

NeonVomit wrote:
browneyedgirl wrote:
Which is what everyone secretly wants!

Any Scientologists running? Of all the religions in the world, that one probably takes the prize for the most phony and ridiculous...
Oh, no! Don't say that! Tom Cruise might get really angry and open a can of whoop-ass... :lol:
&#922;&#973;&#961;&#953;&#949; &#7952;&#955;&#941;&#951;&#963;&#959;&#957;

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:46 pm

Mind your words, it's the Christ (of Scientology, that is) you are talking about. :)

Tom really is a special kind of guy.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:09 pm

Carcass wrote:Mind your words, it's the Christ (of Scientology, that is) you are talking about. :)

Tom really is a special kind of guy.

And, not bad to look at! =P
Almost 50, too! ;) The older the berry the sweeter the juice. :)

Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:22 pm

Well, guess what? :D
A comedian IS running for office! A rEAL comedian! From Saturday Night Live! :D
AL FRANKEN!!!! :banana2:
Yep! Al is running for the democrat Senate seat in Minnesota!
I like Al, though. Kinda reminds me of a shorter Stephen King, who I like, too!
Yep-nerds rule! ;)

Who's next? Al Bundy? ???
Rush Limbaugh? ???
Stephen King? ??? yeah, a Horror Epic in everyone's bookcase---thats nice! :D
Oh, Bill Gates! :D

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:04 pm

"At a speech Friday to the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-NY) said "no option can be taken off the table" when dealing with Iran, RAW STORY has learned.

Clinton tempered her remarks by saying she's advocated engagement with "our enemies and Israeli's enemies," adding, "I believe we can gain valuable knowledge and leverage from being part of a process again that enables us to get a better idea of how to take on and defeat our adversaries." Her quotes were reported by the Associated Press."

miditek might vote Democrat...

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:51 pm

I've understood she's very pro-Isreal.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:30 am

Pro-Israel is no problem. Advocating a war against Iran is what I'd be worried about...

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:06 am

I didn't say it is (although impartiality on this issue is desireable), but with this in mind her hawkish stance on Iran is no surprise.

Wow, she sounds like a real bitch, haha! Her domestic policies do not sound bad at all but the foreign policy section of her brain needs to be lobotomized.

miditek

Post by miditek » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:03 am

NeonVomit wrote:"At a speech Friday to the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-NY) said "no option can be taken off the table" when dealing with Iran, RAW STORY has learned.

Clinton tempered her remarks by saying she's advocated engagement with "our enemies and Israeli's enemies," adding, "I believe we can gain valuable knowledge and leverage from being part of a process again that enables us to get a better idea of how to take on and defeat our adversaries." Her quotes were reported by the Associated Press." miditek might vote Democrat...
I would probably vote for a Franklin Delano Roosevelt, or even a John F. Kennedy, but the way that things are looking now, no clear leader here, I may have to say, "None of the above" :lol:
Carcass wrote:I've understood she's very pro-Israel.
Hehe, she's pro-anything that Howard Dean tells her.
Personally, I think she's a hack.
NeonVomit wrote:Pro-Israel is no problem. Advocating a war against Iran is what I'd be worried about...
I see your point, but what about Iran advocating the annihilation of Israel? Based on your previous posts, you seem worried about the West advocating war with Iran, but not Iran vs. the West and Israel?
Carcass wrote:I didn't say it is (although impartiality on this issue is desirable), but with this in mind her hawkish stance on Iran is no surprise.

Hillary as commander-in-chief is simply not going to happen. She can be a hawk this morning, and if the polls change, a dove this afternoon. She remains controversial at best, and has no heart in what lies ahead during the 2008 campaign. Her enemies will come out of the woodwork like never before. You can be certain of that.

"So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spew thee out of my mouth." Rev: 3:16
Carcass wrote:Wow, she sounds like a real bitch, haha! Her domestic policies do not sound bad at all but the foreign policy section of her brain needs to be lobotomized.
Well, I'm not so sure about her domestic policies, either. In her book, "It takes a village", she likes to foster the notion that somehow the government knows better than the parent on how to raise your child. That's complete bullshit, in my opinion.

Also, HillaryCare was a complete disaster, and one does have to wonder how that failure could be repeated once again. Hillary fails Economics 101 by her failure to realize that someone has to pay for this universal healthcare that she has long proposed.

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:30 am

miditek wrote:I would probably vote for a Franklin Delano Roosevelt, or even a John F. Kennedy, but the way that things are looking now, no clear leader here, I may have to say, "None of the above" :lol:
In Finland in every elections we have people voting for Donald Duck or Mickey Mouse. They draw them on the tickets which are usually shown in the press. :)

Dawn_is_Here

Post by Dawn_is_Here » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:04 pm

Carcass wrote: In Finland in every elections we have people voting for Donald Duck or Mickey Mouse. They draw them on the tickets which are usually shown in the press. :)
Yeah, here too, my boyfriend voted for Batman in out last elections :D
Drugs aren’t metal. Beer, however, can be served in all kinds of true metal ways. :D

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:14 pm

Dawn_is_Here wrote:
Carcass wrote: In Finland in every elections we have people voting for Donald Duck or Mickey Mouse. They draw them on the tickets which are usually shown in the press. :)
Yeah, here too, my boyfriend voted for Batman in out last elections :D
Batman would be good! :D And Robin as VP! :D

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:53 pm

Gandalf would be the best! Unlike modern leaders he would be in the thick of the fray.

stratobabius

Post by stratobabius » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:58 pm

Carcass wrote:Gandalf would be the best! Unlike modern leaders he would be in the thick of the fray.
These characters exist in myths,legends and...books sadly.

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:05 pm

They were real, ask any Swede. Their noble king Gustav II Adolf died a glorious death in the Battle of Lützen in 1633 (more or less)! Alas, those were the days.:lol:

Back to Gandalf, he could stick these along the Mexican border: Image

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:26 pm

miditek wrote:
NeonVomit wrote:Pro-Israel is no problem. Advocating a war against Iran is what I'd be worried about...
I see your point, but what about Iran advocating the annihilation of Israel? Based on your previous posts, you seem worried about the West advocating war with Iran, but not Iran vs. the West and Israel?
I believe the Iran rhetoric to be a lot of hot air, they're not so stupid as to do something like sttacking Israel. Most Iranians are more concerned with their economy and education. However, I'd be very worried if the US administration started giving signs of attacking Iran. They are not above doing something like that. I do like to think they learned something from the whole Iraq disaster though.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:00 pm

stratobabius wrote:
Carcass wrote:Gandalf would be the best! Unlike modern leaders he would be in the thick of the fray.
In ancient times, leaders of countries almost always fought along side their troops.

USA troops better be thankful they are not fighting Saladin-led Islamic troops in Iraq these days! :shock:

miditek

Post by miditek » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:26 pm

browneyedgirl wrote:
stratobabius wrote:
In ancient times, leaders of countries almost always fought along side their troops.

USA troops better be thankful they are not fighting Saladin-led Islamic troops in Iraq these days! :shock:
Moreover, even Napoleon, a brilliant commander in his own right, was known to lead his troops on the battlefield. The US Military Academy still uses elements of his leadership style to train cadet officers. Frederick II (Frederick the Great) of Prussia also led his troops as well, even if he did bug out, so to speak, at the Battle of Mollwitz.

However, this was a different time and a different age. The best that we can expect now is to see at least a major or a colonel on the front lines. A sympathetic (yet very observant) British general once criticized the (U.S.) 3rd Army staff officers for not being close enough during action in the Hurtgen Forest in 1944.

There were a few exceptions then, such as Patton, Rommel (who considered the rear echelon term staff officer to be an epithet, at best), and also Montgomery, but I know of very few senior commanders that actually visit the front lines now.

Given the advances in military technology, having civilian leaders on the front lines is simply not a realistic option anymore.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:55 am

miditek wrote: Given the advances in military technology, having civilian leaders on the front lines is simply not a realistic option anymore.
Shame, they should be there to see first-hand the mess they caused.

miditek

Post by miditek » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:17 am

NeonVomit wrote:
miditek wrote: Given the advances in military technology, having civilian leaders on the front lines is simply not a realistic option anymore.
Well, according to this brand new headline in today's issue of Pravda, more war is coming to a theater near everywhere;

"USA launches new arms race and prepares to wage war against Russia"

Go to english.pravda.ru It's on the front page, although it's not the main headline. And I thought our media was bad these days. :bandit: Someone has been smoking a little too much of the chronic, if you see what I mean, over there, apparently.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:07 pm

miditek wrote:
NeonVomit wrote:
Well, according to this brand new headline in today's issue of Pravda, more war is coming to a theater near everywhere;

Go to english.pravda.ru It's on the front page, although it's not the main headline. And I thought our media was bad these days. :bandit: Someone has been smoking a little too much of the chronic, if you see what I mean, over there, apparently.
Most Russians take their own press with a rather large grain of salt, however. They've spent their whole lives with a government-controlled press and are used to not believing everything they see in it. Plus many of them have access to other foreign news sources (satellite tv, internet, foreign newspapers), unlike back in the USSR days.

miditek

Post by miditek » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:06 am

NeonVomit wrote:
miditek wrote:
NeonVomit wrote:

Most Russians take their own press with a rather large grain of salt, however. They've spent their whole lives with a government-controlled press and are used to not believing everything they see in it. Plus many of them have access to other foreign news sources (satellite tv, internet, foreign newspapers), unlike back in the USSR days.
I certainly agree with you on this headline, and was being facetious, primarily towards our friends in the Kremlin. That headline almost made me think of a Russian version of the National Enquirer. :D

All humor aside though, some Russian politics are no laughing matter. I recall you mentioning Zhirinovsky, whom I initially thought was a buffoon, that is until I read about his book, "The Drive Towards The South".

In your opinion, how do you think that an Obama or Hillary would handle someone like him?

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:04 pm

miditek wrote:
All humor aside though, some Russian politics are no laughing matter. I recall you mentioning Zhirinovsky, whom I initially thought was a buffoon, that is until I read about his book, "The Drive Towards The South".
There are a few worrying figures in US politics as well.

miditek

Post by miditek » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:33 pm

NeonVomit wrote:
miditek wrote:
There are a few worrying figures in US politics as well.
It looks like former NYC mayor Rudy Giuliani has tossed his hat into the race. I like him, and thought he did a good job of making NYC a bit more bearable, and his leadership during 9/11 was outstanding. I'm also impressed that, as Asst US Attorney and after much effort, finally succeeded in putting mob boss John Gotti away for life.

Even though I am not a democrat (don't like republicans much, either), one demo that I was impressed with is Eliot Spitzer, former atty general and now governor of NY. Spitzer pretty much cleaned house on Wall Street, and did a better job of it than the SEC (Securities and Exchange Commission) did. I think he would make a good leader (Atty General) at the US Dept. of Justice.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:50 pm

Giuliani has a decent reputation. Might be actually capable of accomplishing something.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:53 am

Rudy "three wives&many mistresses" Giuliani? The guy whose second wife said she caught him sleeping with another woman in their bed, Rudy Giuliani?
But, of course thats his personal life&that is not supposed to matter---UNLESS, the candidate is a Democrat, then the person better be squeaky clean bordering on perfection&above reproach. :roll:
People aren't supposed to even mention Republican's imperfections these days.
Oh, Newt Gingrich was a rampant adulterer, too, if anyone is interested. Family values? Yeah, right.....and catfish have kittens! :D

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:04 pm

Tory leader David Cameron was caught smoking weed in high school 24 years ago. They exposed it in the news last week.

He was like 'so what', so was the press.

It was forgotten within 2 days.