The Glorious People's Republic of North Korea Discusson

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
NeonVomit
Re: The Glorious People's Republic of North Korea Discusson

Post by NeonVomit » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:18 pm

Japanese insanity take on Kim:
General Kim (金将軍)
The leader of North Korea. A rogue who uses underhanded tactics to ensure his own victory, such as attempting to assassinate his opponent Koizumi in order to incapacitate him. He is also a sore loser, as seen when he lost against Koizumi and Aso, he launched a Taepodong missile in retaliation. His special move is the "Democratic People's Riichi", where he declares riichi while discarding a north tile. He was blown overboard the USS George H.W. Bush by jet engine exhausts after his loss and had most of his body eaten by sharks, but he returned as a mechanical cyborg. He is voiced by Misugi Ootori in the anime.
Would be much funnier if it were not so eerily close to reality :shock:
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

Babylonian

Post by Babylonian » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:03 pm

I think, that past and nowadays show(ed) us, that totalitarian ways like communism or nazism doesn't work in real life. Hope North Koreans will be free of communism soon.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:47 pm

Extremes aren't good.

While going through the Wiki article, I found something... surprising. This sentence does not make sense in any possible way:
The Pyongyang University of Science and Technology, located just outside of Pyongyang city, started construction in 2001 and is largely funded by Korean and American Evangelical church groups.
Firstly, Evangelical church groups supporting a scientific university is sort of self-contradictory, if you think about it... but that's a topic for another thread.

Secondly, given the incredibly harsh treatment of Christians in North Korea (seen as the most oppressive anti-Christian state in the world; on a list that includes places like Saudi Arabia, Turkmenistan and Somalia, that really says something) it is somewhat bizarre that Christian organisations would want to support or help the regime in any way.

Kosmo

Post by Kosmo » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:42 pm

I think you people are missing the point here..

Glow-in-dark puppys!

:jump2:

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:00 am

That's South Korea. North Korea specializes in putting people in concentration camps for listening to the radio.

Anyway, a week after declaring a 'sacred war of retaliation' against S Korea and the US, nothing has happened. N Korea has also been hit by floods, so maybe they're too busy dealing with that.

Or they're just waiting for the moment to strike.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:33 am

As I'm sure you all know, there have been many exciting developments in The Best Korea. Dear Leader Kim Jong-il has appointed a successor!

Chang

Post by Chang » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:40 am

A guangdonger! :shock: :shock:

And only of age #27 (mooshoo-pork). :)

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:21 pm

Chang, tell your country to get its thumb out of its ass and do something about The Best Korea. I mean, come on.

Susie

Post by Susie » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:11 pm

:pop: Stop the hate in the world....

Have a beer with a stranger :beer:

Free North Korea :cry:

miditek

Post by miditek » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:33 am

NeonVomit wrote:That's South Korea. North Korea specializes in putting people in concentration camps for listening to the radio.

Anyway, a week after declaring a 'sacred war of retaliation' against S Korea and the US, nothing has happened. N Korea has also been hit by floods, so maybe they're too busy dealing with that.

Or they're just waiting for the moment to strike.
They've been waiting for nearly sixty years now. If Truman had allowed Douglas MacArthur to prosecute the war properly, then we would not be having this discussion now.

War with America now would spell the end of Kim's regime- and the PDRK generals are well aware of this.
Κύριε ἐλέησον

JensJohansson
Administrator

Post by JensJohansson » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:54 am

miditek wrote: They've been waiting for nearly sixty years now. If Truman had allowed Douglas MacArthur to prosecute the war properly, then we would not be having this discussion now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bfgrj_62-Y

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:22 pm

miditek wrote:
War with America now would spell the end of Kim's regime- and the PDRK generals are well aware of this.
I'm sure the Chinese would be happy about it as well!

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:54 pm

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:59 pm

No one will ever go to war with North Korea because the regime there is batshit insane and completely unpredictable. So as long as the crazy is kept within the borders of North Korea, the world will do nothing at all. The North Korean regime will end either after the revolution (highly unlikely) or after someone there will understand that their entire ideology is crazy and it's better to be friends with the world (basically what happened in Lybia).
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

miditek

Post by miditek » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:53 pm

JensJohansson wrote:
miditek wrote: They've been waiting for nearly sixty years now. If Truman had allowed Douglas MacArthur to prosecute the war properly, then we would not be having this discussion now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bfgrj_62-Y
:lol: two of my fav comedians of all time!!
NeonVomit wrote:I'm sure the Chinese would be happy about it as well!
The Chinese probably consider the DPRK to be as much (if not more, given their close proximity) of a pain in the ass as the United States does. Moreover, the Chinese lost approximately 400,000 troops during the Korean War. My uncle fought there as a BAR (Browning Automatic Rifle) man with the U.S. Army- and he told us as kids that the Red Chinese troops were willing to sacrifice an entire platoon to get just one BAR man.
Shurik wrote:No one will ever go to war with North Korea because the regime there is batshit insane and completely unpredictable. So as long as the crazy is kept within the borders of North Korea, the world will do nothing at all. The North Korean regime will end either after the revolution (highly unlikely) or after someone there will understand that their entire ideology is crazy and it's better to be friends with the world (basically what happened in Libya).
I wasn't suggesting that the U.S. has plans to attack the DPRK, but if the North were to attack the South, then that would obviously be an act of war- and we have significant air and naval assets under control of the U.S. Pacific Command that can be brought to bear if necessary. ROK troops are tough, highly trained, and also well-disciplined, so it is safe to assume that the risks for DPRK attacking the South far outweigh any benefits- crazy or not.

So essentially, I would probably assume that Kim, and whichever heir he decides to empower, would much rather keep their grip on power as opposed to an all out war with America, which they would certainly lose- even if there were Chinese intervention. If the Chinese were so cocky, then they would have already seized Taiwan. China obviously is a force to be reckoned with, but DPRK and China would have a difficult time with U.S. aerial and naval supremacy, and such a conflict would be a logistical nightmare for both of them.

Seoul is well within range of DPRK artillery, but then again, America has the firepower to respond to them in a variety of ways, and from any number of locations.
Κύριε ἐλέησον

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:44 pm

miditek wrote:
NeonVomit wrote:I'm sure the Chinese would be happy about it as well!
The Chinese probably consider the DPRK to be as much (if not more, given their close proximity) of a pain in the ass as the United States does.
Of course they do - but the 3 main reasons China wants the status quo to remain are that 1) a war would mean 20 million refugees flooding over the border which they really could do without 2) a unified Korea would mean a strong capitalist state directly on their border which again would not be pleasant for them and 3) they don't want any other major powers messing around in their sphere of influence which is exactly what would happen in the event of a war.

I'm pretty sure if the entire Korean issue could just disappear overnight China would be very happy - they have global ambitions as the next superpower and wants to be seen as being responsible in such matters. N Korea just makes them look bad but their hands really are tied.

The main reason this ridiculous situation keeps lurching on is that China isn't exactly a country anybody wants to cross, mostly for economic reasons; the relationship China has with the West is too mutually beneficial to jeopardise.

If a war did break out, China could do tremendous economic damage to the US without firing a single shot. I mean, ok they'd suffer damage as well, but they don't have to worry about the Chinese people getting angry about it since there's no free press or any democracy to hold the government accountable.

Probably the best solution would be for China to invade N Korea themselves and put an end to it.
ROK troops are tough, highly trained, and also well-disciplined
And are on average 5 inches taller than North Koreans due to malnutrition. The N Korean military actually had to drop the minimum height requirement because they couldn't meet recruitment numbers.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:47 pm

NeverendingAbyss wrote:Image
N Korean propaganda posters are hilarious.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:45 am

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IH_uOIUYXKk?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IH_uOIUYXKk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Pretty good Newsnight investigation.

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:03 am

oh my god! you can NEVER NEVER EVER let your country be ruled by some platoon or an capitan, major, whatever related to army. this people are just trained to kill a treat people who think different like enemys. and thats the mistake we made here in venezuela, you dont know how scary is finding similarities whitin the goverment of my country.
A9

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:48 am

adrian9 wrote:oh my god! you can NEVER NEVER EVER let your country be ruled by some platoon or an capitan, major, whatever related to army. this people are just trained to kill a treat people who think different like enemys. and thats the mistake we made here in venezuela, you dont know how scary is finding similarities whitin the goverment of my country.
I know! by now, millions of fellows are starving to death in venezuela! It's depressing :cry:
---...---

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:01 pm

Interesting article with a load of satellite photography of N Korea. Especially interesting is the contrast between the elite and the ordinary people.

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:41 pm

Water slides and motherfuckin' ostriches!!

Jabi

Post by Jabi » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:18 pm

What do you people make out of the current conflict?

Kim Jong Il knows he's going to kick the bucket soon and wants to finish some unfinished business (The Korean War, that is.) :shock:

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:31 pm

Jabi wrote:What do you people make out of the current conflict?

Kim Jong Il knows he's going to kick the bucket soon and wants to finish some unfinished business (The Korean War, that is.) :shock:
I don't think so, he and the generals know that their country and army would be utterly devastated and the dynasty removed from power.

It's really difficult to say what's going on inside their brains, but some theories say that the heir apparent is flexing his muscle in order to gain the trust of the elite.

miditek

Post by miditek » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:11 pm

Carcass wrote:
Jabi wrote:What do you people make out of the current conflict?

I don't think so, he and the generals know that their country and army would be utterly devastated and the dynasty removed from power.

It's really difficult to say what's going on inside their brains, but some theories say that the heir apparent is flexing his muscle in order to gain the trust of the elite.
I agree- I don't think that this is a prelude to war. If the North were to invade the South, it's my opinion that's Kim's little dynasty would face a rather nasty end.

I just spoke with a friend that is a former Marine that served on the DMZ for several years, and he has an opinion that is quite similar to yours.
&#922;&#973;&#961;&#953;&#949; &#7952;&#955;&#941;&#951;&#963;&#959;&#957;

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:22 am

miditek

Post by miditek » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:14 am

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5TEvacFETvM?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5TEvacFETvM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
&#922;&#973;&#961;&#953;&#949; &#7952;&#955;&#941;&#951;&#963;&#959;&#957;

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:39 am

I heard we were going to die soon. If nuclear holocaust finally occurs, you all always have a shelter on my shed! Don't worry, the palm trees will keep the radiation outside :)

P.S. Bring your snacks and soda
---...---

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:41 pm

It's been a while.

Couldn't ignore this:
Ex-NBA star Rodman says North Korea's Kim wants Obama to call

(Reuters) - Dennis Rodman, the former NBA star known more for his body piercings and tattoos than international diplomacy skills, said on Sunday he returned from North Korea with a message from its leader Kim Jong-un for President Barack Obama - "call me."

Rodman appeared on ABC's "This Week" program a few days after an unlikely meeting with Kim in the North Korea capital Pyongyang, where Rodman was working on a documentary about basketball.

With the international community concerned about North Korea's nuclear weapons program and continued belligerence, Kim and Rodman attended a game, where they were seen laughing and talking, and had dinner together.

"He wants Obama to do one thing - call him," Rodman said. "He said, 'If you can, Dennis - I don't want (to) do war. I don't want to do war.' He said that to me."

Rodman said he told Kim, who followed his father and grandfather as leader of the totalitarian nation in December 2011, that his love of basketball could serve as a foundation of a relationship with the U.S. president, who also is a basketball fan and plays regularly.

"(Kim) loves basketball. And I said the same thing. I said, ‘Obama loves basketball.' Let's start there," Rodman said.

The U.S. government has disavowed any connection with Rodman's trip.

Last week, Rodman spoke warmly of Kim, 30, and described him as "an awesome kid."

On "This Week," he defended his new friendship with a man considered a violator of human rights and a threat to world peace by saying, "I'm not apologizing for him. You know, he's a good guy to me. Guess what? He's my friend. I don't condone what he does ... (but) as a person to person - he's my friend."

When pressed on North Korea's human rights record, Rodman said, "But as far as what he does, you deal with it."

Rodman, appearing in the interview wearing a jacket covered with images of U.S. dollars, a baseball cap and big sunglasses, dismissed Kim's comments about wanting to destroy the United States as rhetoric stemming from his father.

He called him a strong and "very humble" man who "loves power, he loves control."

Rodman said he intends to return to North Korea someday.

Rodman played on five NBA championship teams during his basketball career, which ran from 1986 to 2000. He played for five teams and in his peak years he was the league's top rebounder and one of its best defenders. He was chosen for the Basketball Hall of Fame in 2011.

Rodman's basketball skills were matched by his flamboyance - party lifestyle, multi-colored hair, blankets of tattoos, piercings in his ears, nose, lips and eyebrows and showing up in a wedding gown, complete with veil, to promote his autobiography.
As we all know, where Rodman goes, democracy follows.

This probably deserves a read:
North Korea blurs lines between prison camps, villages: Amnesty

(Reuters) - North Korea has built a huge "security perimeter" around a camp for political prisoners, restricting movement in nearby villages as part of its "general repression" of its people, Amnesty International said on Thursday.

The reclusive country's network of political prison camps is believed to hold at least 200,000 people and has been the scene of rapes, torture, executions and slave labor, U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay said in January.

Analysis of new satellite images of the area near Camp No. 14 in Kaechon shows that the government is "blurring the lines" between its camps and surrounding civilians, Amnesty said.

The images show that between 2006 and 2013, North Korea has constructed 20 km (12 miles) of posts around the Ch'oma-Bong valley and its inhabitants, along with check points and guard towers, it said in a statement voicing fears about government intentions for the valley, 70 km north of the capital Pyongyang.

"The security and control adjacent to Camp 14 shows the degree to which general repression and restrictions on the right to liberty of movement have become commonplace in North Korea," said Rajiv Narayan, North Korea researcher for Amnesty.

The London-based group called on the U.N. Human Rights Council, holding its main annual session in Geneva through March 22, to launch an international commission of inquiry into grave and systematic violations "including crimes against humanity".

North Korea denies the existence of a network of camps.

A similar U.N. investigation similar to the one Amnesty is demanding, made up of independent experts, has said it is documenting war crimes committed by both sides in Syria's conflict so as to build a case for future prosecution.

Top U.N. rights official Pillay, who met two North Korean camp survivors in December, has called for an independent investigation into "one of the worst - but least understood and reported - human rights situations".

Concerns about abuses in the impoverished country have persisted for years, but have been largely overshadowed in international forums by fears over North Korea's attempts to become a nuclear weapons power.

The U.N. Security Council is expected to vote later on Thursday on a draft resolution in response to North Korea's third underground nuclear test last month.

"MORE WORRISOME"

Amnesty commissioned DigitalGlobe to take the images and help with their analysis following reports of the possible construction of a new political prison camp adjacent to Camp No. 14 in Kaechon, South Pyongyan province.

"We expected to find a new or expanded prison camp. What we found is in some ways even more worrisome," said Frank Jannuzi, deputy executive director of Amnesty International USA.

The security perimeter beyond what appears to be the formal boundaries of Camp 14 blurs the line between people in the prison system known as Kwan-li-so and civilians, he said.

New buildings that appear to house workers are probably linked to expanded mining activity in the region, Amnesty said.

Hundreds of thousands of North Koreans, including children, are held in political prison camps and other detention facilities, often subjected to forced hard labor, denial of food rations, and torture, it said.

Many detainees have not committed any crime, but are relatives of those deemed unfriendly to the regime and detained as a form of "collective punishment", it added.

Japan and the United States called last week for the council to launch an inquiry into alleged violations including torture and execution of political prisoners in North Korea.

The council already has an independent investigator on North Korea, Marzuki Darusman, who has said a wider inquiry should examine personal and institutional accountability for crimes.

Activists hope the forum adopts a resolution on North Korea by consensus now that neither China nor Russia are members.

And onto more pressing issues:

Capita list: North Korea approves 28 model socialist hairstyles

It's not just nuclear weapons proliferating on the Korean peninsula these days. In a move that for once is not considered a threat to regional and global security, the North Korean government has recommended a relatively generous range of 28 hairstyles for its citizens, claiming that they are "the most comfortable" styles and capable of warding off the corrupting effects of capitalism, according to ifeng.com, a news website run by Hong Kong's Phoenix TV network.

Pictures can be seen on the walls of hair salons around the country showing the approved styles for men and women. Spiky hair is forbidden, as are quiffs — the nation has learned the baleful lesson from the decadent South that outrageous hairstyles may lead to the formation of effete boy bands or to pervasive mental health problems whereby people hallucinate riding invisible horses. Under no circumstances should you enter a North Korean barber shop and ask for your hair to be cut "Gangnam Style."

The list of 18 acceptable female hairstyles show North Korean women are given more choice in their coiffeur after they wed. Approved styles for single women are simple but married women are permitted to indulge in a few extra stylistic flourishes. This also has the useful effect of establishing whether a woman is married or not at a glance. If you like it, then you should have put some curlers in it, to paraphrase Beyonce.

Men are somewhat more restricted, with only ten styles to choose from and a longer list of rules to follow. The hair of the country's young men should be less than 5 cm long and they should have a haircut once every 15 days as longer hair apparently takes away nutrition from their brains. Older men, whose brains are presumably in decline anyway, are allowed to rock out with hair as long as 7 cm.

Ri Chun-hee, the news anchor for the country's Korean Central Television who is known for being patriotic to the point of hysteria, changed her hairstyle twice within two weeks in 2011, sparking speculation as to what the changes signified. She was seen with a bang perm and hair tugged behind her ears in March 2011 before she switched back to the most common hairstyle for TV anchors in the country — side bangs and short layered hair covering her ears slightly — less than 14 days later, according to ifeng.

The hairstyle changes have been interpreted as suggesting that Pyongyang is trying to improve its image since the state broadcaster is considered the front gate of the country. Others speculate that the changes were made because the country's young leader Kim Jong-un disliked the previous styles.

Perhaps a touch unfairly, it appears from the list that North Korean men are not allowed to emulate the preferred hairdo of the country's new leader. Kim himself has most recently been seen sporting longer hair on top with a center parting and his head completely shaved at the sides, a style popular in the West among teenage fans of bands such as Pearl Jam and the Lemonheads in the early 1990s.

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:57 pm

North Korean defector draws life in a concentration camp.

http://imgur.com/a/648Mv