What do you think of downloading music?

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
Balu
What do you think of downloading music?

Post by Balu » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:04 pm

Simple question, discuss. :>

ggonza43

Re: What do you think of downloading music?

Post by ggonza43 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:06 pm

Well, that's a very appealing title and a very appealing introduction, for a very appealing topic :D. I'm tired of arguing with adrian9 about this, so people just check my opinions on this somehwere in the forum =P
|StratoFan Forever|

Balu

Post by Balu » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:07 pm

ggonza43 wrote:Well, that's a very appealing title and a very appealing introduction, for a very appealing topic :D. I'm tired of arguing with adrian9 about this, so people just check my opinions on this somehwere in the forum =P
Well, you gotta keep it short, don't you?: D
Anyway, why not just discuss it with the... tens of other people?: D

Kecos

Post by Kecos » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:59 pm

a
Last edited by Kecos on Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Balu

Post by Balu » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:15 pm

Kecos wrote:It depends. I think bootlegs in general are ok, because the band doesn't sell those anyway. I don't torrent a whole lot, but I think it's justified because I support the bands in other ways. For example, my Rush collection:

3 bootlegs
10 studio albums
2 live albums
1 live DVD
2 concerts

I think my 3 bootlegs are justified :lol:
Bootlegs are a different case, they can't be bought at all.

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:46 pm

DOWNLOAD THEM ALL!!!

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:13 pm

:lol: I just can't see his face without imaging his "gay" voice :D!
|StratoFan Forever|

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:50 am

A two-edged sword.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

miditek

Post by miditek » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:18 am

robocop656 wrote:DOWNLOAD THEM ALL!!!

Fuck that whiny little bitch- he should keep his tennis racket dusted off, just in case. ;)
Κύριε ἐλέησον

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:58 am

Download if I only like a few songs.

Buy if the album is great.

Download if I don't have money.

Buy if I get some sort of discount.

Download if I go to a gig.

Problem?

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:24 am

I have never bought an album in my entire life. Other than this of course, I got it for my birthday one of these years

---...---

warrencurrymetal

Post by warrencurrymetal » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:53 am

Well, you can't quite yet download going to a concert. (live albums don't count)

Gives unknown bands exposure, therefore potentially increases live show's outcome.

Trading mp3s shouldnt be illegal

Record industry needs to be inventive and accept the current state of how music is handled i.e. itunes. They took the idea of downloading music and managed to make money off of it.

Record companies could place a 'golden ticket' in certain jewel cases that reward the winner some band member's guitar.

make sure you don't download Elements Pt. 1, because it has a computer virus. . .

Billy Mays Jr.
Location:ALLOVER THE PLACE PROMOTING STRATOVARIUS NEW ALBUM!!!!!!!!

Post by Billy Mays Jr. » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:02 am

NO NO NO DONT DOWNLOAD BUY THE MUSIC!!!!!!!
SUPPORT STRATOVARIUS AND BUY THEIR NEW ALBUM WHEN IT COMES OUT!!!!!!!!!

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:03 pm

Billy Mays Jr. wrote:NO NO NO DONT DOWNLOAD BUY THE MUSIC!!!!!!!
SUPPORT STRATOVARIUS AND BUY THEIR NEW ALBUM WHEN IT COMES OUT!!!!!!!!!
IS IT TRUE BANDS GET AROUND 25 CENTS A CD WHEN PEOPLE BUY THEM?
warrencurrymetal wrote: make sure you don't download Elements Pt. 1, because it has a computer virus. . .
WHAT? DOES YOUR COMPUTER LOOK LIKE THIS?

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:56 pm

warrencurrymetal wrote:make sure you don't download Elements Pt. 1, because it has a computer virus. . .
Well, I have all Strato discography either in CDs and in my PC, and I have to say that this a lie...At least for me. I had "Elements Pt.1" in my computer for 3 years, and until now I haven't found any single virus in it. Make sure you antivirus is updated and reliable :)
|StratoFan Forever|

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:57 pm

I don't think I've ever bought a CD without downloading it first.

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:01 pm

Rebel wrote:I don't think I've ever bought a CD without downloading it first.
THANK YOU! I thought I was the only one! I mean, if we're talking about a band you'll support till death, no matter how awful they work was, I gotta buy all the discography. But if we're talking about some band you've just started to listen...Are you going to buy a CD? What if you don't like it? Or after a few listen you realize you don't like them at all? I think downloading music is a great way to "test" a band...If you like them, buy their work. Pretty simple I think :)
|StratoFan Forever|

Balu

Post by Balu » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:11 pm

ggonza43 wrote:
THANK YOU! I thought I was the only one! I mean, if we're talking about a band you'll support till death, no matter how awful they work was, I gotta buy all the discography. But if we're talking about some band you've just started to listen...Are you going to buy a CD? What if you don't like it? Or after a few listen you realize you don't like them at all? I think downloading music is a great way to "test" a band...If you like them, buy their work. Pretty simple I think :)
Agreed here. Though I don't have enough money to buy every album I like tbh.

A.K.A.
Location:Right in the middle of the left side (upside down, looking backwards)

Post by A.K.A. » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:21 pm

Balu wrote:
ggonza43 wrote:
Agreed here. Though I don't have enough money to buy every album I like tbh.
+1
\m/

miditek

Post by miditek » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:08 pm

I don't condone piracy, either- and pay for my music. I even wrote a personal royalty check to a friend from Wizards when I copied a CD of theirs for a friend.

I said, "here's the twenty bucks for the license, and I've provided my own media- so hopefully this makes it legal." In this case, the band was actually amused.
Κύριε ἐλέησον

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:58 pm

ggonza43 wrote:I think downloading music is a great way to "test" a band...If you like them, buy their work. Pretty simple I think :)
That's like taking a big steak home from the butcher's shop and telling him "If I like it, i'll come back next week and pay for it." :lol:

I generally agree with your outlook and do the same thing, but you must admit that the music distribution model is completely broken. You should not be allowed to steal something illegally, then pay for it only if you feel like it. That's a totally backwards line of thinking.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:05 am

With the steak, it's a physical product with all sorts of costs and one person taking it home means that another person cannot take it home. A digital copy does not cost anything additional to produce and one copy does not take away from anyone else being able to make a copy. When people say they download before they buy a cd, they are going from the lower quality no opportunity cost download copy to a higher quality physical product with a artwork package where there were production and delivery costs in making that additional cd. A band can have their music in the computers of 10000 people for a much cheaper price than having a cd in the hands of 10000 people. If a digital copy leads to a person buying a physical copy, that’s certainly something I think a band would be willing to take, if it generates demand for a tour in a area that otherwise would not have bought a cd, that's another benefit

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:44 am

Here's my opinion plain and simple, I have nothing against downloading and if it's a good way for you to hear the band that's cool, however if you have the money to buy an album, BUY IT, at that juncture please don't come up with excuses.

Remember we the fans are the bands bread and butter, let's not short change them.
metal feeds the beast

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:11 am

icecab21 wrote:If a digital copy leads to a person buying a physical copy, that’s certainly something I think a band would be willing to take, if it generates demand for a tour in a area that otherwise would not have bought a cd, that's another benefit
In most of the cases this actually happens. I couldn't agree more with you, and I haven't considered the fact of prompting a tour in a place where the music is unaccesible for most people. It's a great way to reach broader limits and spread the music everywhere.

And A10, you can't compare a steak with a CD...You can't listen to a steak :lol:
|StratoFan Forever|

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:14 am

ggonza43 wrote:
And A10, you can't compare a steak with a CD...You can't listen to a steak :lol:
Not unless its a Pop Sirloin. :roll:

:oops:

Maddest Hatter

Post by Maddest Hatter » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:09 am

AAAAAAAAAA wrote: That's like taking a big steak home from the butcher's shop and telling him "If I like it, i'll come back next week and pay for it." :lol:

I generally agree with your outlook and do the same thing, but you must admit that the music distribution model is completely broken. You should not be allowed to steal something illegally, then pay for it only if you feel like it. That's a totally backwards line of thinking.
I was actually just about to use that analogy. Great point and I agree 100%. People use all kinds of excuses to try to justify this but ultimately, it's stealing unless it is paid for. People just tend to overlook that (or ignore it) because it is so easy these days to get away with it. These people that are out there downloading entire catalogs from bands through torrents may as well be walking into Best Buy, grabbing as many CDs as they can carry and then trying to walk out the door.

I am a fan of the CD format so I only buy through iTunes if there is only one track from an album that I am interested in (which is rare). But in either case, I firmly believe that music should not be given away for free. While some retail stores haven't helped this problem by raising prices of discs to ridiculous amounts, it is NOT unreasonable to pay $10-$15 for a single disc. I know that the bands see very little of the money generated from CD sales but that is beside the point. The labels, distributors, promoters and so forth are all part of the business end of the music business and most of them serve a purpose that benefits us as fans.

Having said that, there are some things that I really like about file sharing. Mostly, it gives fans access to things that they otherwise may never get to hear. Rare tracks from discs that have long been out of production or maybe even never released at all now can now be distributed to fans without having to enter bidding wars on ebay. I remember spending years trying to track down Iron Maiden's "Women In Uniform" single and I'd probably still be searching to this day if Napster hadn't come along in 2000. Also, the Strato Revolution Renaissance demos are a prime example of something that most of us probably wouldn't have had access to if it wasn't for torrents.

So to make a long story short, downloading is great for people who are responsible enough to use it the right way. The problem is that most people are not all that ethical and use downloading to get as much as they can for the price they want (nothing).

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:16 am

And what if I don't have money at all? I'll never listen to my favourite band again? And what if I do get the money needed, but the CD is not available anymore? Downloads last forever :?
|StratoFan Forever|

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:43 am

ggonza43:that's why I said if you can buy it then do so, however in the case that it's not available to you or you lack the funds then I say downloading is fine.
metal feeds the beast

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:51 am

HIRO IS BACK!!!

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:52 am

ggonza43 wrote:And what if I don't have money at all? I'll never listen to my favourite band again?
It seems you feel entitled to listen to your favorite music as if its a god-given right.

If you don't have the money, you don't buy nice things. That's how the world works. Besides, keeping up with the latest Stratovarius albums does not cost a fortune. Everyone can find a way to scrape together $10 every three years. I will pay you $10 to spam the Symfonia forum. :lol:
And what if I do get the money needed, but the CD is not available anymore? Downloads last forever :?
You can download legally. And, like smoking medical marijuana or listening to Lady Gaga, there are certain circumstances when it might be ok. :rotflmao1:

For the record (ha-ha :roll:), I still download music on occasion. I just write it off as one of my moral failings, and get on with my life. :lol:

Its hard to overlook the absurdity that charity is the only real enticement to buy legally. That's not a sustainable business model....

But i'm proud to support my favorite bands! :jump:
hiro23 wrote:ggonza43:that's why I said if you can buy it then do so, however in the case that it's not available to you or you lack the funds then I say downloading is fine.
A lack of funds does not grant you license to go around stealing things. If you can't afford something, forget about it, and buy something you can afford!

Or for gods sake, mow your mother's lawn and collect your $10. You don't need a trust fund to buy an album. :lol: