Your First Concert...

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
ggonza43
Re: Your First Concert...

Post by ggonza43 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:40 am

Half naked? Shit! Why wasn't I born in Venezuela :oops: :D!
|StratoFan Forever|

Damien Thorn

Post by Damien Thorn » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:27 pm

Susie wrote::lol: when I saw them I ended up half naked :lol: and survived :) :lol:
Miss, this is an official police investigation. We need evidence and photographs...

Cheers,

C.O.P. Damien Thorn
Trite
Rhetorical
Cliched
Inane

Bathory Killcraft

Post by Bathory Killcraft » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:34 pm

I think my first "proper" metal gig was either Skyclad or Paradise Lost sometime around 1992 in Athens. Can't quite remember which one came first. Quite a few local bands before these, though.
Black Metal is the game I play cos' no one shows me the right way...

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:42 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:Miss, this is an official police investigation. We need evidence and photographs...
+ 1 :D!
|StratoFan Forever|

Black_Kitty

Post by Black_Kitty » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:15 am

My first concert was the Backstreet Boys in 97-98 :oops: at the bell center in Montréal. (molson center then) (I was 10 years old :roll: ) After, in 2004 (I think...) I saw Nightwish and after that Sonata Arctica, Strato, COB etc... My first Strato concert was in 2005. I was 17 and 5'3" with a big old guy (like 6'3", 250 pounds) beside me who was pushing me and hitting me with his elbow loll :P But I still was able to stay in front for all the show :D

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:45 am

From Backstreet Boys to Nightwish, that's a hell of an improvement :D! Wish all the kids that listen to pop did the same as you :)
|StratoFan Forever|

Black_Kitty

Post by Black_Kitty » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:01 am

loll I hope that those Lady Gaga listener will do the same :lol:

Babylon

Post by Babylon » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:22 am

Damien Thorn wrote:
Babylon wrote:My first rock concert was Bon Jovi, last date of New Jersey tour, here in Guadalajara in February 1990.
Wow, same as my first concert, only two months later and a couple of thousand miles to the West...

Was it this exact gig?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do-qJIQLXso

The intro is a bit Spinal Tap...

Cheerio,

Damien
Oh yea, I remember the Mariachi :lol: Wow.. hard to believe this was 20 years ago! They were supposed to play on Feb 17th and 18th but the first show was cancelled because of some student federation and politics bs, so they had to do two shows in one day. I was in the evening show, it was awesome :D

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:48 am

Black_Kitty wrote:loll I hope that those Lady Gaga listener will do the same :lol:
+1, spread the word :)
|StratoFan Forever|

Damien Thorn

Post by Damien Thorn » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:12 pm

Babylon wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:
Babylon wrote:My first rock concert was Bon Jovi, last date of New Jersey tour, here in Guadalajara in February 1990.
Wow, same as my first concert, only two months later and a couple of thousand miles to the West...

Was it this exact gig?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do-qJIQLXso

The intro is a bit Spinal Tap...

Cheerio,

Damien
Oh yea, I remember the Mariachi :lol: Wow.. hard to believe this was 20 years ago! They were supposed to play on Feb 17th and 18th but the first show was cancelled because of some student federation and politics bs, so they had to do two shows in one day. I was in the evening show, it was awesome :D
Cool, man! The band sure was at its pinnacle as a live band back then. They put on quite a show!

Watching that clip, I noticed how Jon is always on the phone or taking care of business while the rest of the band is just goofing off. Richie Sambora is cracking jokes, and so is David Bryan, and the rest is playing along. However, Jon is packing his suitcase and talking shop all the time...

I guess that in the end it's still very much his band. It probably still is, a bit like Van Halen is really Eddie and Alex's band. It's interesting to see that the dynamic in Bon Jovi is so different from that in - say - The Beatles, where there were two, possibly three, strong personalities. I read a Bon Jovi biography once, in which the author claimed that Mr John Bongiovi actually employed his band. So, he paid their salaries and all that; he was their employer, their boss. So, as is so often the case, there is much more going on than the casual observer might think. John Bongiovi, CEO of Bon Jovi Inc.? I guess so, in spite of the goofy image...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U6Y4xSa0HY

Cheers,

Damien
Trite
Rhetorical
Cliched
Inane

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:24 pm

yes! jon employed this band plus alec jhon such on the bass; he wanted so bad to become a rockstar...
A9

Damien Thorn

Post by Damien Thorn » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:05 pm

adrian9 wrote:yes! jon employed this band plus alec john such on the bass; he wanted so bad to become a rockstar...
Well, it worked out for him...

I can sort of see what he's about, to be honest. So many bands can't even get a setlist together. Most people need some direction, so it's a good thing if someone steps in and takes control - provides some geometry in the chaos. It's just a natural dynamic in any group of people. It's striking to see that in that short Youtube video, though. I mean, it's so obvious that Jon is on top of everything, while Ritchie only wants to play guitar and seems to have no clue what's going on business wise...

Cheerio,

Damien
Trite
Rhetorical
Cliched
Inane

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:59 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
adrian9 wrote:yes! jon employed this band plus alec john such on the bass; he wanted so bad to become a rockstar...

I can sort of see what he's about, to be honest. So many bands can't even get a setlist together. Most people need some direction, so it's a good thing if someone steps in and takes control - provides some geometry in the chaos. It's just a natural dynamic in any group of people. It's striking to see that in that short Youtube video, though. I mean, it's so obvious that Jon is on top of everything, while Ritchie only wants to play guitar and seems to have no clue what's going on business wise...

Cheerio,

Damien
I love Jon Bon Jovi is a fantastic song writer and what a hell of a band...the only thing I regret is that richie doesnt want to release another solo album...he did some great job back in 1991..other than that Bon Jovi is a great great band.
A9

Damien Thorn

Post by Damien Thorn » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:25 am

adrian9 wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:

Cheerio,

Damien
I love Jon Bon Jovi is a fantastic song writer and what a hell of a band...the only thing I regret is that richie doesnt want to release another solo album...he did some great job back in 1991..other than that Bon Jovi is a great great band.
Yes, they're an excellent band- and Richie is probably one of the most overlooked guitar players in rock music (probably because he always plays for the song, not for his own glory). I actually always thought of Bon Jovi as The Beatles of my generation, the late eighties. Only when you've been exposed to pompous, pretentious posers like Coldplay do you start to realize how thankful we should be for a band that produces original material and also delivers the goods live. I'm so fed up with this MIDI sound of bands like Coldplay and Linkin Park. Where is the commitment, the joy, the authenticity? It just doesn't rock at all. It all sounds very square, contrived and safe...

You know who rock too? That band from which Bon Jovi drew so much inspiration. This must be my all-time favourite driving tune. Expect some speeding tickets though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-NshzYK9y0

... and this one, of course. Listen to that synth riff. You can't fake that groove with MIDI...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bChroY_sLxc&feature=fvst

This intro still gives me goosebumps, after more than twenty years. Check it out, it's great. Just notice the guitar is tuned down (b) a semitone, and the low E is dropped to Db. So you get: Db, Ab, Db, Gb, Bb, Eb. Start on an A5 chord; you'll figure the rest out yourself. In case that takes too much time, check out the guitar part on www.songsterr.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvK0AA5QR_c

Cheerio,

Damien
Trite
Rhetorical
Cliched
Inane

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:19 pm

I agree with you In almost everything. because I like coldplay very much. likin park is crapiest crap on the crap of the world.
im checkin out those links bro´
A9

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:55 pm

adrian9 wrote:likin park is crapiest crap on the crap of the world.
|StratoFan Forever|

Damien Thorn

Post by Damien Thorn » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:55 pm

adrian9 wrote:I agree with you In almost everything. because I like coldplay very much. likin park is crapiest crap on the crap of the world.
Sure, enjoy the links!

You know, I said Coldplay because everyone knows that Justin Bieber sucks. That's obvious. Everybody can see that it's corporate soulless zombie music. When I first heard Coldplay (I think it was "Clocks"), I thought, "hey, this actually sounds pretty proficient." But then I listened more intuitively, I started to listen for that fifth dimension in the music... and it just wasn't there. There was just a big black hole of nothingness, of carefully contrived intelligent imitation with a contemporary sheen, staring back at me. Maybe I'm being too harsh here, because I really haven't heard all their work yet, but it just doesn't do it for me.

Coldplay's music doesn't make me want to drive any faster, let alone go skydiving. It doesn't make me want to ask out that girl with the cute dimples. It pretty much doesn't make me want to feel anything. It's not bad as such, the songs are okay, so play the chords and read the lyrics, but go to Muddy Waters for the heart and soul...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raP9uVHgfcA

or to this big bad brother...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQJN8L8-ozU

Take care, bro!

Damien
Trite
Rhetorical
Cliched
Inane

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:58 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
adrian9 wrote:I agree with you In almost everything. because I like coldplay very much. likin park is crapiest crap on the crap of the world.
Sure, enjoy the links!

You know, I said Coldplay because everyone knows that Justin Bieber sucks. That's obvious. Everybody can see that it's corporate soulless zombie music. When I first heard Coldplay (I think it was "Clocks"), I thought, "hey, this actually sounds pretty proficient." But then I listened more intuitively, I started to listen for that fifth dimension in the music... and it just wasn't there. There was just a big black hole of nothingness, of carefully contrived intelligent imitation with a contemporary sheen, staring back at me. Maybe I'm being too harsh here, because I really haven't heard all their work yet, but it just doesn't do it for me.

Coldplay's music doesn't make me want to drive any faster, let alone go skydiving. It doesn't make me want to ask out that girl with the cute dimples. It pretty much doesn't make me want to feel anything. It's not bad as such, the songs are okay, so play the chords and read the lyrics, but go to Muddy Waters for the heart and soul...

Take care, bro!

Damien
woa bro, some heavy words you used. im not going to disagree with you or argue, you got your taste on music and coldplay doesnt fall there. maybe with time you rediscover them. I truly enjoy and always suggest to my musicians fellows to hear "viva la vida" to me, a colorful and really beautiful album. so if you havent heard it, you might give it a try.
A9

Damien Thorn

Post by Damien Thorn » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:27 pm

adrian9 wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:
Sure, enjoy the links!

Take care, bro!

Damien
woa bro, some heavy words you used. im not going to disagree with you or argue, you got your taste on music and coldplay doesnt fall there. maybe with time you rediscover them. I truly enjoy and always suggest to my musicians fellows to hear "viva la vida" to me, a colorful and really beautiful album. so if you havent heard it, you might give it a try.
Well, I was talking about Justin Bieber when I said corporate soulless zombie music, not about Coldplay. I wouldn't say Coldplay are very corporate or soulless, but they're not the reeling vagabonds or bohemians that music needs so much right now either. It's just a bit too contrived for my taste. Music is, to a large extent, about being open to new perspectives on an old idea (twelve notes) and letting things happen. I think Coldplay is very controlled and controlling; it does not sound very live to me. Sometimes that's great, of course, but the risk is that you start working in a box of preconceived ideas.

I have to admit though that I am a bit biased when it comes to Coldplay. I didn't like it so much when they took Joe Satriani's song and used it on Viva la Vida without acknowledging the source. It was a clever move, and they recorded their version very professionally, but I thought Coldplay's response to Satriani was a bit arrogant, even scathing. Hardly the attitude real musicians would have. If you wrote a song and it turns out that the melody somehow already exists, you acknowledge that and you settle in a professional and fair manner. Steve Vai did that with the guys from Abba when it turned out that an old transcription (made for set changes during David Lee Roth's Eat 'em and Smile tour) he had used for his new album was actually the song "Bangkok". You don't accuse the musician you ripped off (intentionally or unintentionally) of having written a trite, uninspiring melody, especially if you just used that exact same melody for your own album.

Here, check it out... it's all a little sad...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvB9Pj9Znsw

So, Coldplay is a great band, but it's just not really theirs, this greatness. That's what I meant with the big black hole of nothingness. This is not the source, Dr Livingstone...

Cheerio,

Damien
Trite
Rhetorical
Cliched
Inane

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:25 pm

I´ve read the about that in guitar world magazine, Joe was really bummed about that one.
and Im just going to point something about that beiber fella´
besides all the machinery behind him of course , that kid alone wouldnt never rule the pop world like he does with a lot a of money put on him by some fat cats( let say...usher)
and is that....I saw him on SNL and the kid deliver a good show, amazing, he is only 17. or 16...he is a kid godammit!! how could that be?
I have seen many many local bands here (in caracas, venezuela) and it´s truly a shame that this kid delivers a better show than a metal band (im not saying that just for the ones I´ve been seeing here, I guess somebody in Spain, Sweden, whatever, may agree) that shut my mouth about the kid.
and say it again,he has like what 100 people and 100000000$ behind him, but even so, as any REAL MADRID should know, money and looks worth nothing if you dont have talent. and for my point of view the kid got some talent. I think time will tell.
A9

Damien Thorn

Post by Damien Thorn » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:41 pm

adrian9 wrote:I saw him [Justin Bieber] on SNL, and the kid delivered a good show, amazing.
Hahaha, come on, man! You've got some nerve saying that on a metal forum. I admire you for that! I'm pretty sure the kid's a good singer, but he's hardly made it on his own. He's like the Lewis Hamilton of pop music...

:lol:

(I'm pretty sure I'm insulting some Hamilton fans with that comment...)

Cheerio,

Damien
Trite
Rhetorical
Cliched
Inane

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:40 pm

adrian9 wrote:I saw him [Justin Bieber] on SNL, and the kid delivered a good show, amazing.
I've lost a hero :cry:
|StratoFan Forever|

Balu

Post by Balu » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:56 pm

ggonza43 wrote:
But I can finally mention this when he lectures me about taste. Worth it!

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:09 pm

Balu wrote:
ggonza43 wrote:
Poor guy, give him a break :lol:
|StratoFan Forever|

Balu

Post by Balu » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:12 pm

ggonza43 wrote:
Balu wrote:
ggonza43 wrote:
Poor guy, give him a break :lol:
I would, but man, it is REALLY fun.

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:51 pm

If you think this will make you a better person, then go ahead :D
|StratoFan Forever|

Balu

Post by Balu » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:04 pm

ggonza43 wrote:If you think this will make you a better person, then go ahead :D
It won't make me a worse either, but it's fun. :D

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:33 pm

Fun, we need to re-define that term 8)
|StratoFan Forever|

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:34 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
Hahaha, come on, man! You've got some nerve saying that on a metal forum. I admire you for that! I'm pretty sure the kid's a good singer, but he's hardly made it on his own. He's like the Lewis Hamilton of pop music...

Cheerio,

Damien
haha yeah I dont mind ; we can talk about any kind of music, from metal to pop, from the 60´s to 2010´s I listen to everything, and I mean EVERYTHING..im not just a metal head and im not pretending to be one neither.
...and well yeah like i said is too obvious that this kid cant pull out that show on his own, a lot of people work behind him to make a child look like a pro. and I said it again, that is a shame.
and yeah dude, you insulted lewis hamilton :lol:
A9

Balu

Post by Balu » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:54 pm

adrian9 wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:

Cheerio,

Damien
haha yeah I dont mind ; we can talk about any kind of music, from metal to pop, from the 60´s to 2010´s I listen to everything, and I mean EVERYTHING..im not just a metal head and im not pretending to be one neither.
...and well yeah like i said is too obvious that this kid cant pull out that show on his own, a lot of people work behind him to make a child look like a pro. and I said it again, that is a shame.
and yeah dude, you insulted lewis hamilton :lol:
I wouldn't call myself a metalhead either. I listen to many stuff, from classical to folk/neofolk to jazz to country etc, but... The "music" that kid does is pure shit.