A thread for us comic book fans

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
hiro23

A thread for us comic book fans

Post by hiro23 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:53 pm

Seeing as how a few of us have had some great conversations about comics I decided let's start a thread were we can talk about our favorite comics,heroes,series,whatever.

One of my favorite growing up was the X-men age of apocalypse series, a great alternate reality series where Xavier is killed and Magneto leads the X-men
metal feeds the beast

adrian9

Re: A thread for us comic book fans

Post by adrian9 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:35 am

I have been a comic book freak since I remember..I wanted to be a comic maker until one day one album called "fourth dimension" messed my future up and made me want to become a musician. :lol:

some of my faves
- West Coast Avengers, since was kind of a C list comics they had license free to do whatever they wanted to those charaters, including, murder, hell trips, marriages, killed wives, and stuff like that.
-Witchblade and the darkness, TOPCOW really shaped my taste in comics, gothic stuff, a lot of dark humor too, boobs, globins, mafia mobs...great.
-Superman & Batman events, Death and rebirth, a tale written so many times but not like these ones!
-X-men, ups and downs, my favorite run are the ones Joe Madureira did (1998) and grant morrison (2002-2004ish)
- Fathom, Im a big Michael Turner fan ( he passed away sadly) he drew the best female figures ever.

other shit you need to read, The walking dead, Hellblazer, Tarot, Meridian (this is very girlie but still cool) old man logan, Planet X. and I know something else escapes my mind right now.
A9

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:30 am

I'm more of a manga fan. Do I still comment?

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:50 am

Adrian9:Same here I used to be a huge comic fan but then many events happened which altered my course a bit, My dad dying, getting introduced to music,theater,metal,becoming a red sox fan, however I always like to go back every now and then and reminisce about my comic days.

I used to have a very rare Conan number 1 however at the time I was too young to realize the value of it and I unfortunately lost it.

Neverendingabyss:well being an avid anime fan myself and seeing as how manga is pretty much done in comic form I don't really see why not
metal feeds the beast

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:02 pm

I was huge G.I. Joe fan as a kid. Shuffling through second-hand shops in search for issues missing from my collection were the highlights of my childhood.

My cousin had a lot of comics but their house was always a mess, you could find real gems there if you just put some effort into it.

tl;dr treasure hunting

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:13 pm

Does anyone remember the Infinity war?
metal feeds the beast

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:31 pm

NeverendingAbyss wrote:I'm more of a manga fan. Do I still comment?
+1 :D!
|StratoFan Forever|

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:45 pm

Another great comic series I liked was "death in the family" from Batman.

Apparently the fan base didn't like the second robin so they voted to have him killed.
metal feeds the beast

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:10 am

hiro23 wrote:Another great comic series I liked was "death in the family" from Batman.

Apparently the fan base didn't like the second robin so they voted to have him killed.
That was like the only whole series I fully have read, and I have to say it was kind of a relief to see the second Robin being killed...And by the Joker! What a way to make things worse (sorry for spoilers =P)
|StratoFan Forever|

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:57 am

I agree, but then again how perfect was that, Joker sometimes doesn't get enough credit as he really is the most colorful villain that Batman has ever fought against.

Most of the other guys he fights usually are pretty one dimensional and you know what to expect from them, Joker would always throw you a curve.
metal feeds the beast

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:57 am

hiro23 wrote:I agree, but then again how perfect was that, Joker sometimes doesn't get enough credit as he really is the most colorful villain that Batman has ever fought against.

Most of the other guys he fights usually are pretty one dimensional and you know what to expect from them, Joker would always throw you a curve.
the joker not only has killed the second robin, he also has crippled the original bat girl, ruled gotham when the city was destroyed in a earthquake, summon a demon to kill bats, send bane to cripple bruce..and so on and on. best villian ever.
A9

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:26 am

The best bad guys are like that, they know how and when to get at the hero
metal feeds the beast

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:12 pm

NeverendingAbyss wrote:
I'm more of a manga fan. Do I still comment?

+1 Very Happy!
I think at the end of the 90s we all lived that crazy manga invasion , Saint seiya, dragon ball, samurai x and sailor moon! im a big fan of all of them!
A9

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:09 pm

hiro23 wrote:I agree, but then again how perfect was that, Joker sometimes doesn't get enough credit as he really is the most colorful villain that Batman has ever fought against.

And the fact that Batman dies at the hands of someone called "Black Glove" (correct me if I'm wrong) and not his arch-enemy? I mean wtf?
|StratoFan Forever|

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:49 pm

ggonza43 wrote:

And the fact that Batman dies at the hands of someone called "Black Glove" (correct me if I'm wrong) and not his arch-enemy? I mean wtf?
...At the time of Sexton's appearance, a murderer known as the "Domino Killer" also appeared, killing members of the Black Glove systematically. The new Batman confronts Sexton about his connection to the killings, deciphering that the manner in which the men were killed followed a set routine of jokes. Sexton then takes off his mask to reveal himself to be the Joker, having been operating as Sexton the entire time
the joker kills the batman killers, I mean, how badass is that.?
the "new batman" is in fact dick grayson, the original robin.
A9

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:51 pm

adrian9 wrote:the joker kills the batman killers, I mean, how badass is that.?
I knew about the new Batman, but that Joker killing...WOW :D!!
|StratoFan Forever|

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:02 pm

ggonza43 wrote:
adrian9 wrote:the joker kills the batman killers, I mean, how badass is that.?
I knew about the new Batman, but that Joker killing...WOW :D!!
yeah dick grayson has been batman before, some other people has taken the cowl in one ocassion or another, like a guy named Azrael, a really badass batman, dick grayson in two or three times & damian wayne (the son of bruce).
A9

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:42 pm

That Azrael was the one who filled Batman shoes when Bane kicked Bruce's ass, right? Yeah, it turned out to be very aggresive for a superhero, but one thing I can say is that he really gave Bane a hard time :)

Yeah, I've read a lil' more of Batman as I'm starting to comment here :lol:
|StratoFan Forever|

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:01 am

I always liked Batman as he was a self made superhero, don't get me wrong there are a lot of other characters I liked but Batman was always one of my favorites as he didn't have any superhuman powers and just relied on his wits and intelligence to get him through a situation.

Have you ever read Wolverine's origin story?
metal feeds the beast

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:55 pm

Not "read", but saw the movie which I assume it's based on the comic. Pretty tragic story I have to say :?
|StratoFan Forever|

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:26 pm

ggonza43 wrote:Not "read", but saw the movie which I assume it's based on the comic. Pretty tragic story I have to say :?
that movie is a total crap, is loosely based on the comic "origin", the formative years of wolverine are lost, also the love interest, and they suggest that wolvie meets the xmen and then lost the memory.......shitty shit of the shittiest shit ever.
A9

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:52 am

Well, I collected Archie, Betty, Veronica and Jughead comic books when I was a kid. :lol: Female stuff. Although I did also have some Fantastic Four comics, they were so cool! :D

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:12 am

Actually what I am talking about is a comic simply titled Origin which as Adrian9 said explains wolverine's past quite a bit.

if you have not read it I would suggest finding a copy and checking it out.

Beg:never really got into fantastic four, although I love Doctor doom as a villain
metal feeds the beast

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:07 pm

adrian9 wrote:that movie is a total crap, is loosely based on the comic "origin", the formative years of wolverine are lost, also the love interest, and they suggest that wolvie meets the xmen and then lost the memory.......shitty shit of the shittiest shit ever.
Take it easy friend :lol:! I was just giving my opinion, guess I'll have to get a copy of the original one and then comment about it :)
|StratoFan Forever|

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:44 pm

ggonza43 wrote:
adrian9 wrote:that movie is a total crap, is loosely based on the comic "origin", the formative years of wolverine are lost, also the love interest, and they suggest that wolvie meets the xmen and then lost the memory.......shitty shit of the shittiest shit ever.
Take it easy friend :lol:! I was just giving my opinion, guess I'll have to get a copy of the original one and then comment about it :)
nothing against you comment gonza, to be honest If i wasnt a comic fan, and the origin comic didnt came to me, that movie would be a decent one, but since I knew the origin of wolverine a couple of years before that movie..........I totally hated it.:x

(for those who doesnt read comics to much, Wolverines past has been from the late 70s up until 2001 the number one mistery of comics, with many partialy unfold pieces of a puzzle, however a six issue origin comic was published in late 2001 and gave away all the clues)
A9

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:29 am

The best one(at least in my opinion) is the comic I mentioned before, it starts from wolverine's childhood and goes up until the turn of the century
metal feeds the beast

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:46 pm

this is the one.
wolverine is the kid sitting on the hill, not the one with the scythe.
A9

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:36 am

---...---

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:48 am

Adrian9:that's the one, my friend has one that has all four parts in one book.

Agag: :lol: :lol: :lol:
metal feeds the beast

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:30 pm

Somebody knows where can I find it?
|StratoFan Forever|