Mike Portnoy KICKED OUT from ehem... well... that band!

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
Susie
Mike Portnoy KICKED OUT from ehem... well... that band!

Post by Susie » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:43 am

Mike Portnoy's time with Avenged Sevenfold comes to an end
by Mike Portnoy on Thursday, December 16, 2010 at 3:18pm Via Facebook

" Yes, the rumours are true...sadly my time with Avenged Sevenfold has come to an end...

The band has decided to carry on into 2011 without me...I had a great time with them throughout 2010, but it was their choice to end the relationship at the end of 2010 as was always the initial plan....

I had an awesome time on stage with the guys every night and have so many cool memories from the experience with them...I am proud to always be part of the A7X family and history.

I also adore the A7X fans and totally appreciate the way they welcomed me aboard and were so loving and supportive during my time with the band...thank you!

As far as my future, I am excited by the endless musical possibilities that lie ahead of me...my love for music runs very deep and my taste is very broad and ecclectic which will give me the chance to explore many different things and collaborate with many great friends and artists I admire and respect...

Happy Holidaze to you all and c-ya in the New Year,
MP"

robocop656

Re: Mike Portnoy KICKED OUT from ehem... well... that band!

Post by robocop656 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:46 am

A big WHO GIVES A SHIT

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:01 am

robocop656 wrote:A big WHO GIVES A SHIT
2 posts left
make em count

Kecos

Post by Kecos » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:53 am

a
Last edited by Kecos on Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:56 am

This is a day of great joy...

Just less than a week until Christmas!

Kosmo

Post by Kosmo » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:07 pm

Blah, Mike didn't even fit in with Sevenfold.

Balu

Post by Balu » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:07 pm

Kosmo wrote:Blah, Mike didn't even fit in with Sevenfold.
Yeah, he was the only one who isn't a crappy musician.

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:32 pm

:lol: :lol: I was taslking a lot yesterday about this in DTforums. Mike is really going astray, he should be out of the media for a long time. DT fans are really angry with him.

And having in mind that Portnoys was having a lot of fun like a teenager in that Linkinpark-esque pop band masked between guitars just proves the guy should be out of DT.
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

Balu

Post by Balu » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:56 pm

RazielSR wrote::lol: :lol: I was taslking a lot yesterday about this in DTforums. Mike is really going astray, he should be out of the media for a long time. DT fans are really angry with him.

And having in mind that Portnoys was having a lot of fun like a teenager in that Linkinpark-esque pop band masked between guitars just proves the guy should be out of DT.
You're gonna get a lecture soon about how those guys are totally awesome musicians, just like Justin Bieber. Of course, it'll come from Adrian!

Kecos

Post by Kecos » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:31 pm

a
Last edited by Kecos on Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:39 am

RazielSR wrote:And having in mind that Portnoys was having a lot of fun like a teenager in that Linkinpark-esque pop band masked between guitars just proves the guy should be out of DT.
And I thought you supported MP and DT :cry:
|StratoFan Forever|

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:47 pm

ggonza43 wrote:
RazielSR wrote:And having in mind that Portnoys was having a lot of fun like a teenager in that Linkinpark-esque pop band masked between guitars just proves the guy should be out of DT.
And I thought you supported MP and DT :cry:
Yes, I do as you can read.

Portnoy was not happy with DT anymore = better out.
DT wanted to continue withouth Portnoy = better to continue.

Of course you are not reading the tweets and statements MP is publishing all around and how people is pissed with the guy, even A7X that was his "new home" now was not happy with his behaviour.
Read it and you'll understand that...ok, this guy was one of the fathers of DT, but now seems more like an egocentric angry lost guy going astray. He needs to be out of the media for a long time. You can read here just MP's statement, of course A7X part is not exactly the same:
PORTNOY Was Too 'Press Release-Happy' Regarding DREAM THEATER Split - Dec. 17, 2010

AVENGED SEVENFOLD frontman M. Shadows told The Pulse Of Radio that the band was not happy about the public way in which drummer Mike Portnoy's split with his former group DREAM THEATER was played out, which may have soured Portnoy's relationship with AVENGED, ultimately causing his departure from the Orange County, California-based act. "We were actually a little more shocked," M. Shadows said. "We felt that maybe both parties could have handled it a little more internally without being so press release-happy about what had happened between them. Because we're a band that, really, when it comes to news all over web sites or this or that about bands, you know, we don't tweet much, we don't try to put ourselves out that much, and all the drama and controversy wasn't something that we wanted at all."

M. Shadows talking to The Pulse Of Radio about DREAM THEATER / Mike Portnoy drama (audio):

Portnoy recorded the drum parts for AVENGED SEVENFOLD's latest album, "Nightmare", and toured with them for much of 2010 following the death last December of AVENGED drummer James "The Rev" Sullivan.

Although AVENGED SEVENFOLD did not immediately issue a statement regarding Mike's split with the group, Portnoy broke the news himself yesterday (Thursday, December 16) on Facebook, writing, "Sadly my time with AVENGED SEVENFOLD has come to an end...The band has decided to carry on into 2011 without me ...I had a great time with them throughout 2010, but it was their choice to end the relationship at the end of 2010 as was always the initial plan..."

Portnoy added, "I am proud to always be part of the AVENGED SEVENFOLD family and history. I also adore the AVENGED SEVENFOLD fans and totally appreciate the way they welcomed me aboard and were so loving and supportive during my time with the band...thank you!"

Portnoy left his band of 25 years, DREAM THEATER, this past summer, although he said his stint with AVENGED SEVENFOLD had nothing to do with it.

AVENGED SEVENFOLD is slated to hit the road in the U.S. next month as part of the "Nightmare After Christmas" tour, along with STONE SOUR and HOLLYWOOD UNDEAD. There is no word yet on whether the band will remain on that tour and enlist a new drummer.
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:39 pm

Well I don't have a Twitter account and I'll never have, but after reading this, I guess you are right. It's just sad to see a person I personally admire a lot fall from grace like this :?
|StratoFan Forever|

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:00 am

Balu wrote:
RazielSR wrote::lol: :lol: I was taslking a lot yesterday about this in DTforums. Mike is really going astray, he should be out of the media for a long time. DT fans are really angry with him.

You're gonna get a lecture soon about how those guys are totally awesome musicians, just like Justin Bieber. Of course, it'll come from Adrian!
I dont like avenged sevenfold that much, but that doesnt mean they are bad musicians, I think they are cool , and they are on every music magazine on the USA. I pretty much sick of them by know.
I really dont know if mike fit or didnt fit because I never cared so much about this issue.
and yeah Justin Bieber is better than Arjen Lucassen. so what?
A9

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:38 am

adrian9 wrote:...I think they are cool , and they are on every music magazine on the USA. I pretty much sick of them by know.
Wait! There's something I still don't get. I've read somewhere that according to the band "the whole issue involving DT and Portnoy was way too much mediatized and A7X was trying to get a low profile and didn't expose themself like that, because they were a serious band". But now you say they are in every american magazine, which means they are "on the eye of the beholder" somewhat...I don't get it :?
|StratoFan Forever|

Kecos

Post by Kecos » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:43 am

a

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:44 am

Kecos wrote:Thing is, playing "alternative" music like that isn't going to get you a low profile :roll:
I know, this is a myth mixed with truth :?
|StratoFan Forever|

Kecos

Post by Kecos » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:39 am

a

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:00 pm

From MP's forum:
Just for the record, this is indeed true..

Fairly recently, I reached out to the guys to try and make amends and offered to reconcile for the sake of having peace back in our lives...(plus I know how much it meant to alot of the fans...)

I figured it was still possible to try and save us because they hadn't made any announcements yet or begun any public activity with another drummer...but sadly, they declined my offer (well, actually their lawyer did...they didn't even tell me themselves....)

Sorry gang, I honestly gave it my all...
So now the fans on my twitter and facebook can please stop asking me to go back to DT...I tried, and the door is now shut...the ball is now in their court, not mine...

PS - I'm not crying or looking for mercy by posting this...I am merely trying to set the record straight as that is always the most important thing about my relationship with you guys...no BS, no spins, nothing to hide...and for better or for worse, I tell it like it is...

I've also recently seen some people accuse my online activity of "looking for attention or media coverage" or "looking for sympathy", but it's honestly none of the above...I merely value having an open and active communication with my fans...always have, always will...it is the cornerstone of everything I've done since day #1 with DT....

This was posted here FOR YOU GUYS to know about...here on MY message board on MY website....if it ends up on Blabbermouth or wherever else, that is THEIR choice to spread, I did not request it or send out a "press release"....

Anyways, onward and upward...
I've got alot of great music and ideas waiting to come out of me and alot of exciting collaborations in the works....so goodbye 2010...bring on 2011!

MP
I mean, this is completely insane. The guy wanted to leave and was tired of DT, then wanted to return and the others said no (well it seems that they didn't speak with him). I feel sorry for this man. He don't know what to do and don't know what he did. I feel sorry for this man. What a pity, one of my fav drummers.

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:22 pm

RazielSR wrote:From MP's forum:
Just for the record, this is indeed true..

Fairly recently, I reached out to the guys to try and make amends and offered to reconcile for the sake of having peace back in our lives...(plus I know how much it meant to alot of the fans...)

I figured it was still possible to try and save us because they hadn't made any announcements yet or begun any public activity with another drummer...but sadly, they declined my offer (well, actually their lawyer did...they didn't even tell me themselves....)

Sorry gang, I honestly gave it my all...
So now the fans on my twitter and facebook can please stop asking me to go back to DT...I tried, and the door is now shut...the ball is now in their court, not mine...

PS - I'm not crying or looking for mercy by posting this...I am merely trying to set the record straight as that is always the most important thing about my relationship with you guys...no BS, no spins, nothing to hide...and for better or for worse, I tell it like it is...

I've also recently seen some people accuse my online activity of "looking for attention or media coverage" or "looking for sympathy", but it's honestly none of the above...I merely value having an open and active communication with my fans...always have, always will...it is the cornerstone of everything I've done since day #1 with DT....

This was posted here FOR YOU GUYS to know about...here on MY message board on MY website....if it ends up on Blabbermouth or wherever else, that is THEIR choice to spread, I did not request it or send out a "press release"....

Anyways, onward and upward...
I've got alot of great music and ideas waiting to come out of me and alot of exciting collaborations in the works....so goodbye 2010...bring on 2011!

MP
I mean, this is completely insane. The guy wanted to leave and was tired of DT, then wanted to return and the others said no (well it seems that they didn't speak with him). I feel sorry for this man. He don't know what to do and don't know what he did. I feel sorry for this man. What a pity, one of my fav drummers.
that was a bad move...he should stick to his cause.
A9

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:23 pm

ggonza43 wrote:
adrian9 wrote:...I think they are cool , and they are on every music magazine on the USA. I pretty much sick of them by know.
Wait! There's something I still don't get. I've read somewhere that according to the band "the whole issue involving DT and Portnoy was way too much mediatized and A7X was trying to get a low profile and didn't expose themself like that, because they were a serious band". But now you say they are in every american magazine, which means they are "on the eye of the beholder" somewhat...I don't get it :?
yeah I collect, revolver magazine, guitar one and hit parader, or as weiki says, Shit parader. and they are on everysingle issue, with guitar lessons, modeling clothes, guitars, guitar picks, amps, everything......
A9

pneumonia

Post by pneumonia » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:46 pm

Leave him alone. These are his own decisions.

I think insane are guys from A7X, cause they even didn't say him face2face or by phone that he's out.
They also lose a great guy on drums.

I agree with adrian9 about their popularity, they are certainly more "popstars" than DT.

I hope he will now take a rest or play in some project better than A7X. It's possible he will come back to DT on a future CD and tour.

And of course, I'm curious how DT with new drummer will play. Maybe they gain more creativity, because in my opinion MP was responsible for a progressive back step in their music, although I like BC&SL (long songs fit good to DT)

I've read that Virgil Donati was refused to play with DT after auditions. This guy is fantastic, maybe he was too good :P:P I think that this show how on big level will be the new drummer

Empathica1928

Post by Empathica1928 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:47 pm

Portnoy's a giant baby.

2010 was supposed to be (mostly) a break for Dream Theater so they could go in the studio in January 2011. Everyone in the band knew this. The only exception was going to be the tour with Maiden since that was one thing that came up suddenly and they all agreed to do it, since that's one of the only bands they've dreamed of opening for.

Besides that, while everybody else was using the break, Portnoy decided to go tour with HAIL, Transatlantic, and finally Avenged Sevenfold. The A7X tour was initially meant to end at the end of 2011 anyway, then as far as I know they extended Portnoy's stay through 2011, and now they've pulled the plug on that.

Portnoy wanted to extend the break into some kind of hiatus until he personally felt 'recharged' - he should have taken the break. Dream Theater is more popular than every before and he wanted them to take a hiatus at the peak of their popularity?

Then he goes and tries to get back into the band after all the drama he's caused, after shittalking James LaBrie (yet again) and another member for not socializing as much? And he's been going with all of this 'woe is me' bullshit since the day he left the band. He even removed discussions of JLB's solo tour from his message board.

He's a prick and I have no idea what's come over him, but I've lost so much respect for the man. He's my favorite drummer in the world and is incredibly gifted, but... he's an asshole.

TL;DR - Portnoy didn't take advantage of the break, shittalked his bandmates, tried to make them feel guilty, left the band, and then tried to get back in once it was too late. Fuck him.

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:31 pm

pneumonia wrote: I've read that Virgil Donati was refused to play with DT after auditions. This guy is fantastic, maybe he was too good :P:P I think that this show how on big level will be the new drummer
Virgil is an amazing drummer, I didnt knew him until I jumped into Steve vai live in astoria DVD, he blew me away with his solo. a shame that he didnt make it into DT
Empathica1928 wrote:Portnoy's a giant baby.

TL;DR - Portnoy didn't take advantage of the break, shittalked his bandmates, tried to make them feel guilty, left the band, and then tried to get back in once it was too late. Fuck him.
yeah, I feel that EGO has to do a lot with this, maybe because he was the mainman on DT and the others didnt want to stop just because of him, he felt like " what the hell, im the boss here" and when JP JR JM and JlaB told him to leave he went like "but..but....im the boss here!"..."yeah , right" :? :lol:
A9

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:43 pm

I think you both have summarized very well the whole thing. That's what it is, nothing more. Now: DT without MP, the best in these moments.

pneumonia

Post by pneumonia » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:15 am

I can agree with you, but I would just leave this issue and go forward and assume that everybody says sth true, just like MP that atmosphere in band wasn't really perfect. Paradoxally, his leaving made better to it and the rest are more inspired and united.
I'm happy that MP is engaged in recording for Morse now.

I would see Terry Bozzio, but it's rather not possible. It would be Minnemann(he toured with Kreator) or perhaps Mangini. They are also awesome, but IMO Donati kick their both asses :)

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:21 am

RazielSR wrote:I think you both have summarized very well the whole thing. That's what it is, nothing more. Now: DT without MP, the best in these moments.
Sorry, but DT without MP will eventually split up :?
|StratoFan Forever|

BBBBBBBBBB

Post by BBBBBBBBBB » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:50 am

MIKE PORTNOY FAILS AT LIFE!!!!!
Ex-DREAM THEATER drummer Mike Portnoy has revealed that he made a recent attempt to rejoin his former bandmates but was rebuffed by the group he formed and led for 25 years. Writing on his official forum, Portnoy states, "Just for the record, this is indeed true..

"Fairly recently, I reached out to the guys to try and make amends and offered to reconcile for the sake of having peace back in our lives… (plus I know how much it meant to a lot of the fans…)

"I figured it was still possible to try and save us, because they hadn't made any announcements yet or begun any public activity with another drummer… but sadly, they declined my offer (well, actually their lawyer did… they didn't even tell me themselves….)

"Sorry, gang, I honestly gave it my all…

"So now the fans on my Twitter and Facebook can please stop asking me to go back to DREAM THEATER… I tried, and the door is now shut… The ball is now in their court, not mine…

"I'm not crying or looking for mercy by posting this… I am merely trying to set the record straight as that is always the most important thing about my relationship with you guys… No BS, no spins, nothing to hide… and for better or for worse, I tell it like it is… I've also recently seen some people accuse my online activity of 'looking for attention or media coverage,' or 'looking for sympathy,' but it's honestly none of the above… I merely value having an open and active communication with my fans… Always have, always will… It is the cornerstone of everything I've done since day #1 with DREAM THEATER…

"This was posted here FOR YOU GUYS to know about... here on MY message board on MY website... If it ends up on Blabbermouth or wherever else, that is THEIR choice to spread, I did not request it or send out a 'press release'...

"Anyways, onward and upward...

"I've got a lot of great music and ideas waiting to come out of me and alot of exciting collaborations in the works....so goodbye 2010
:lol: :lol:

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:56 am

ggonza43 wrote:
RazielSR wrote:I think you both have summarized very well the whole thing. That's what it is, nothing more. Now: DT without MP, the best in these moments.
Sorry, but DT without MP will eventually split up :?
chances are very high on that to happen.
A9

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:58 am

pneumonia wrote:I can agree with you, but I would just leave this issue and go forward and assume that everybody says sth true, just like MP that atmosphere in band wasn't really perfect. Paradoxally, his leaving made better to it and the rest are more inspired and united.
I'm happy that MP is engaged in recording for Morse now.
Sorry guys, but I just can't believe you're saying that the guy who has contributed almost all the material they have now for 25 years' departure is the best for the band. Sure they now seem more relaxed and "united", but I think it's the best for the band to put an end to this once and for all. Although I'm giving the band one more try, if fans don't feel the music isn't the same as it used to be, I think the decision is up to JP :?
|StratoFan Forever|