Egypt

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
Shurik

Re: Egypt

Post by Shurik » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:54 am

pneumonia wrote:Maybe Shurik you're right but I hope that touristic inputs are better than delusion of power, and we will have more Turkey-like model. I have either positive and negative feelings about this issue
Considering the fact that Turkey moves very fast towards the Islamist government, it's not a good example.
The only thing that didn't allow Muslim Brotherhood to spread its influence in Egypt were Mubarak's anti-democratic but effective measures against them. Just to remind you - last time MB people took part in the elections, they got 20% of the votes and that's with Mubarak's actions against them. Also, Hamas is a part of them.

But again, seems like Obama and everyone else who cheers the brave Egyptians and their uprising are forgetting that the same uprising and the same cheering brought Khomeini's regime into power. They do not understand that the only available options for a "peaceful" government in the Middle East are dictatorship or Islamists government. There are no inbetweens, as we can see from the anarchy in Iraq and Afghanistan. This is sad but true.
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:07 am

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/02/02/pro-a ... -in-egypt/

The shit sure has hit the fan in Egypt today. Really bad clashes, and no end in sight.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:10 am

You're overlooking the fact that Turkey's move towards a more islamic model of government is down to demographics and the fact that it's been a strictly secular government all this time - it's a natural reaction to it, I think.

Now, before miditek ruins this thread beyond repair with his next hysterical psychobabble rant, I think it's useful to point out that Egypt benefits from its current situation a lot more than it suffers - i.e. its position as a relatively stable non-theocratic government. Plus, if the population is able to stand up and do this sort of thing, it means they're not starving and able to make it from day to day. It's not an uprising of desperation, which is when really messed up things happen. Also, there aren't the same ethnic tensions amongst the population as there are in Iraq and Afghanistan.

But of course this is all irrelevant as all Muslims are savages and need to be nuked as soon as possible, right.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:36 am

Let's chill

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NH5yrFa3tE8?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NH5yrFa3tE8?fs=1&amp;hl=es_ES" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
---...---

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:56 am

Damn, that song is awesome!!!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nGZ_DanugUE?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nGZ_DanugUE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

ImageImageImageImage

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:44 am

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/va1-JK3pu2o&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/va1-JK3pu2o&hl ... &version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:44 am

Oops, wrong thread. Whatever.

miditek

Post by miditek » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:44 am

But of course this is all irrelevant as all Muslims are savages and need to be nuked as soon as possible, right.

I'd encourage you to write and record a song, such as "Mohamhead Fucked A Goat" to prove your point on their tolerance.

In the end, you'd wind up having to be roommates with Salman Rushdie, and living under police protection at taxpayer expense- or else get shanked by a junior jihadist looking for initiation into 'the club' in the restroom of some bar.

No, they're not savages, they're fucking savages. Islam is the religion of peace, and if you disagree with that, they'll fucking kill you!
&#922;&#973;&#961;&#953;&#949; &#7952;&#955;&#941;&#951;&#963;&#959;&#957;

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:53 am

You're overlooking the fact that Turkey's move towards a more islamic model of government is down to demographics and the fact that it's been a strictly secular government all this time - it's a natural reaction to it, I think.
It will be a very sad thing if Turkey will be governed by an Islamic government. They still worship Ataturk, but when their moronic prime minister publicly says stuff like "Woman without a head cover is like a whore" or "I'd rather sit and talk with Khaled Mashal than with Netanyahu", you know things are not good. The secular Turks are frightened by this too, but seems like the demographics will win indeed.
I think it's useful to point out that Egypt benefits from its current situation a lot more than it suffers - i.e. its position as a relatively stable non-theocratic government.
It was a very stable non-theocratic government. What will happen after Mubarak goes away remains to be seen, but the signs are not good.
Plus, if the population is able to stand up and do this sort of thing, it means they're not starving and able to make it from day to day. It's not an uprising of desperation, which is when really messed up things happen.
Actually, Egypt is pretty poor country with high illiteracy rates and most of the simple people have a very low income (something like 2$ a month).

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:54 pm

miditek wrote:

I'd encourage you to write and record a song, such as "Mohamhead Fucked A Goat" to prove your point on their tolerance.

In the end, you'd wind up having to be roommates with Salman Rushdie, and living under police protection at taxpayer expense- or else get shanked by a junior jihadist looking for initiation into 'the club' in the restroom of some bar.

No, they're not savages, they're fucking savages. Islam is the religion of peace, and if you disagree with that, they'll fucking kill you!
Hey, I'm going to hell for not believing in Jesus, so I guess it evens out.

Of course, being the scholar you are who has read about everything, man! you'd be perfectly acquainted with non-psychotic, non-hypersensitive, non-mass murdering Muslims (of which there are quite a few, you may be surprised to learn).

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:02 pm

Shurik wrote:
It will be a very sad thing if Turkey will be governed by an Islamic government. They still worship Ataturk, but when their moronic prime minister publicly says stuff like "Woman without a head cover is like a whore" or "I'd rather sit and talk with Khaled Mashal than with Netanyahu", you know things are not good. The secular Turks are frightened by this too, but seems like the demographics will win indeed.
Hey, nobody follows that as closely as we do - it directly affects what could happen in Cyprus. On the one hand, it's pleasing to see the military start to lose its influence in politics. But yes an Islamic Turkish government will be good for nobody, least of all us. Anyway, my point is that I don't really see Egypt following a similar course.
I think it's useful to point out that Egypt benefits from its current situation a lot more than it suffers - i.e. its position as a relatively stable non-theocratic government.
It was a very stable non-theocratic government. What will happen after Mubarak goes away remains to be seen, but the signs are not good.
It was stable-ish, about as much as could be hoped. If Mubarak leaves and ElBaradei slots in, things aren't going to change that much. It's the best that could be hoped for at the moment.
Plus, if the population is able to stand up and do this sort of thing, it means they're not starving and able to make it from day to day. It's not an uprising of desperation, which is when really messed up things happen.
Actually, Egypt is pretty poor country with high illiteracy rates and most of the simple people have a very low income (something like 2$ a month).
Yeah but you have to admit it's not the same situation as Afghanistan or Yemen or Somalia or Iraq (which was crippled by 3 huge wars and years of economic sanctions.) People in Egypt are more educated and not as ridiculously poor as they are in the other countries I mentioned, which is what gives hope to the situation.

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:13 pm

Hey, nobody follows that as closely as we do - it directly affects what could happen in Cyprus. On the one hand, it's pleasing to see the military start to lose its influence in politics. But yes an Islamic Turkish government will be good for nobody, least of all us. Anyway, my point is that I don't really see Egypt following a similar course.
We have a Turkish PhD student in our faculty and she's pretty pissed off at the direction her country goes to. Seems like a general sentiment of the secular (relatively, because she identifies herself as Muslim, prays and observes the holidays but on the other hand drinks alcohol and wears a pretty revealing dresses, not that we are protesting :)) and the more educated Turks.
It was stable-ish, about as much as could be hoped. If Mubarak leaves and ElBaradei slots in, things aren't going to change that much. It's the best that could be hoped for at the moment.
As long as whoever replaces Mubarak will keep the connections to the west and keep the peace agreement with Israel intact, we'll be OK. Otherwise, things will get much worse on our southern border. I hope next Egyptian government will understand that being friends with the west is better than being enemies, and much more profitable too.

miditek

Post by miditek » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:13 pm

NeonVomit wrote:
miditek wrote:

Of course, being the scholar you are who has read about everything, man! you'd be perfectly acquainted with non-psychotic, non-hypersensitive, non-mass murdering Muslims (of which there are quite a few, you may be surprised to learn).
I've known a few that were not radicalized, as I've pointed out to you on several occasions in the past. But that is not the point. If only 10% of them are jihadists, that's still 100 million potential suicide bombers, cutthroats, and snipers to deal with.

They cannot be negotiated with, nor can they be bargained with. They will even kill their own for simply disagreeing with them- while you play the apologist by make excuses for them from the sidelines. So if they would kill their own family members, then I don't think that they would have a problem with slicing and dicing anyone else.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:46 pm

Shurik wrote: As long as whoever replaces Mubarak will keep the connections to the west and keep the peace agreement with Israel intact, we'll be OK. Otherwise, things will get much worse on our southern border. I hope next Egyptian government will understand that being friends with the west is better than being enemies, and much more profitable too.
That's basically what I'm talking about - pretty much any potential new government will realise that they have a lot more to gain from maintaining peaceful relations with Israel and the West, primarily for economic reasons and the vast majority of the population just want stability and to go about their business - they have more to lose than the populations of the other countries I mentioned.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:55 pm

miditek wrote:
NeonVomit wrote:
miditek wrote:

I've known a few that were not radicalized, as I've pointed out to you on several occasions in the past. But that is not the point. If only 10% of them are jihadists, that's still 100 million potential suicide bombers, cutthroats, and snipers to deal with. They cannot be negotiated with, nor can they be bargained with. They will even kill their own for simply disagreeing with them
Hey, I've heard that before!
A long time ago, I was in Burma, my friends and I were working for the local government. They were trying to buy the loyalty of tribal leaders by bribing them with precious stones. But their caravans were being raided in a forest north of Rangoon by a bandit. So we went looking for the stones. But in six months, we never found anyone who traded with him. One day I saw a child playing with a ruby the size of a tangerine. The bandit had been throwing them away.

Then why steal them?

Because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.
Black/white/black/white/black/white/black/white/black/white right?
while you play the apologist by make excuses for them from the sidelines.
Oh no... I just... I can't... please, please... not again.

Let's rewind and repeat. For the five millionth time.

Anyone who doesn't share your borderline sociopathic view of anyone who isn't a white Christian is not by definition 'an apologist.'

Is that really so hard to understand? Is that so far beyond the grasp of your imagination?

miditek

Post by miditek » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:24 pm

NeonVomit wrote:
miditek wrote:
NeonVomit wrote:
miditek wrote:

I've known a few that were not radicalized, as I've pointed out to you on several occasions in the past. But that is not the point. If only 10% of them are jihadists, that's still 100 million potential suicide bombers, cutthroats, and snipers to deal with. They cannot be negotiated with, nor can they be bargained with. They will even kill their own for simply disagreeing with them
Hey, I've heard that before!
A long time ago, I was in Burma, my friends and I were working for the local government. They were trying to buy the loyalty of tribal leaders by bribing them with precious stones. But their caravans were being raided in a forest north of Rangoon by a bandit. So we went looking for the stones. But in six months, we never found anyone who traded with him. One day I saw a child playing with a ruby the size of a tangerine. The bandit had been throwing them away.

Then why steal them?

Because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.
Black/white/black/white/black/white/black/white/black/white right?
while you play the apologist by make excuses for them from the sidelines.
Oh no... I just... I can't... please, please... not again.

Let's rewind and repeat. For the five millionth time.

Anyone who doesn't share your borderline sociopathic view of anyone who isn't a white Christian is not by definition 'an apologist.'

Is that really so hard to understand? Is that so far beyond the grasp of your imagination?
You are an apologist for them, and a fucking little white-hating racist yourself. Pissed off due to a Mediterranean complexion and not having a Nordic one? Always more concerned with the 'rights' of criminals and thugs more than their prey, eh Imam Vomit?

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:54 pm

Someone's projecting here! Had a bad day? Did a black person cut you off on the road or something? Mexican server give you the wrong food?

I have a quite fair complexion, given my Cypriot/Colombian (of Spanish descent, specifically Barcelona)/German Jewish background... so saying I'm 'white hating' is pretty much the most retarded thing you've yet manage to come up with, which is quite an achievement.

Cite examples where I have said anything racist about white people. Or, indeed, about any other race*.

Like, right now.

Find examples when I have said anything of the sort. Go on. Prove that I am 'white-hating'.

Found anything yet?

Of course you cannot, because I have never said, implied, or inferred anything of the sort, you stupid child (you certainly seem to act like one, so yes, I'll call you a stupid child.)

Grow a pair and back up your hypocritical and judgemental statements, or just shut the hell up because you have no idea what you are talking about, as usual.

* religions don't count, because I think all religions are equally absurd.

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:32 pm

So yeah, pro-gov't protesters clashed with the anti-gov't protesters.

13 people have died.

... and my soda is getting warm. Brb!

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:51 am

If only 10% of them are pedophile priests and ex-gay preachers, that's still 100 million potential bi-sexual woman preachers, inbred redneck cutthroats, and Scientologist snipers to deal with.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:37 am

At least the Egyptians got the internet connections back!!!! :rvd:
Then why in the Hell are they still in the streets bashing each others head in?
Why aren't they at home tweeting their friends, reading Jeff Rense, or playing Tetris online?

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:06 am

browneyedgirl wrote:At least the Egyptians got the internet connections back!!!! :rvd:
Why aren't they at home tweeting their friends, reading Jeff Rense, or playing Tetris online?
Because this happened.

<iframe></iframe>

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:06 am

browneyedgirl wrote:At least the Egyptians got the internet connections back!!!! :rvd:
Because this happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cWOK0Lf ... ntrinter=1#

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:07 am

Sorry about the double post as I can't delete the one I want and the stupid youtubes won't let me embed.

EDIT: Triple post!

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:58 am

NeonVomit wrote:
Shurik wrote: As long as whoever replaces Mubarak will keep the connections to the west and keep the peace agreement with Israel intact, we'll be OK. Otherwise, things will get much worse on our southern border. I hope next Egyptian government will understand that being friends with the west is better than being enemies, and much more profitable too.
That's basically what I'm talking about - pretty much any potential new government will realise that they have a lot more to gain from maintaining peaceful relations with Israel and the West, primarily for economic reasons and the vast majority of the population just want stability and to go about their business - they have more to lose than the populations of the other countries I mentioned.
Well, ayatollahs didn't realize that 30 years ago. Hopefully the next Egyptian government will be smarter than that.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:09 am

Today the protesters started attacking the journalists who were covering these riots. It's getting worse instead of better, it seems.

miditek

Post by miditek » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:32 am

NeonVomit wrote: Had a bad day?
Not exactly. You were trolling, and I was responding. It's what you wanted anyway, or you wouldn't have trolled the thread to begin with.
NeonVomit wrote:Did a black person cut you off on the road or something?
Close, but no cigar for Ms. Lewinsky this time. A black lady cut me and a friend off in traffic not too long ago in Norcross (Atlanta), and would not let us over. We sped up to get around her, and she sped up. We slowed down to get behind her, and she slowed down and would not let us over on an exit ramp from the freeway. I wasn't driving, but my friend who was rolled down the window and yelled, "get out of the way, you stupid fucking nigger!".

But before you go and get your tar and feathers, my friend that was driving is a Syrian Arab. Does that mean that he wants to drive to Sand Mountain (AL) to join up with the Klan? Probably not. She was acting like a stupid fucking nigger, and that's exactly what he yelled at her.
NeonVomit wrote:I have a quite fair complexion, given my Cypriot/Colombian (of Spanish descent, specifically Barcelona)/German Jewish background... so saying I'm 'white hating' is pretty much the most retarded thing you've yet manage to come up with, which is quite an achievement.
An interesting ethnic/genealogical mix to be sure, but this confirms that you're actually not, part eggplant?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tqccyUpnZwA?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tqccyUpnZwA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Time to go grab the popcorn and wait for the big show- and I'm expecting it to start...soon. Mubarak, Abdullah, going..who's next, the House of Saud?

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:01 pm

You have answered none of my questions, as usual. You talk shit without backing it up, as always.

You are pathetic.

ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ

Post by ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:34 pm

:( If it wasn't so scary (and I don't mean the polemic here) it is some sort of fun to listen to the angry voices and don't understand a single word. And look when thousands of men, put their arses in the air at the same time, and then, when they have prayed, start to beat each other again, with sticks and stones. Huhhuh how ugly they are... :roll: :roll:

Edit: Jaja I am looking at live Kairo...

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:43 pm

The army and police have spoken.
Finally they have given the protesters the order to stand down, and stop rioting.
If this had happened in USA the National Guard would've been called in the first day. Things have came a long way since the LA riots of 1992. ;)
And if I was President Mubarek I'd stay in office until my term was out, and if anyone did not like it they could take a long walk off a short pier.
And I do hope the Muslim Brotherhood does keep their pointed nose out of all this.

ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ

Post by ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:47 pm

:( Those with the arses in the air are Brotherhoods? Huh! They are in it with both pointed noses and even more pointed arses...