Symphony X - Iconoclast

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
rikkertje
Re: Symphony X - Iconoclast

Post by rikkertje » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:15 pm

robocop656 wrote:
rikkertje wrote:
robocop656 wrote:. rikkertje is gonna be pissed, I can just feel it. :wink: :wink:
Why would I be pissed? I really like the album. :)
HAH! I don't know. I just had a feeling. You are picky about vocals so...I thought maybe Russ' more aggressive approach this time might make you say, I DON'T LIKE IT. :P
I think it suits Russ' voice. :) When Fabio Lione from Rhapsody did it, it sounded stupid and forced.

But I understand your thoughts, I am picky about vocals, that's true. :wink:

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:31 pm

The album rules. Iconoclast, Bastards of the machine, Reign in Madness, Light up the night, False Messiah, Heretic, Children fo a faceless god...there are a lot of fantastic songs!
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

pneumonia

Post by pneumonia » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:29 pm

I was very disapointed with this album. After your positive feedback I gave Iconoclast a second chance, but it didn't convince me.
I receive this album as a "Paradise Lost II", but without the freshness which that album had. All those ideas, riffs, chourses seems for me to be copied from previous album. I don't want to analyze here which is from which song.
What is good: mix and production. It is much more professional than previous albumes.
Some people (no one here, but some other people) accuse Dream Theater that they play technical metal. This is much much more technical. It reminds me some parts of Systematic Chaos

And the last word: I simply hate choruses: "We are strong, we will fight". It's kindergarten.

I'm happy that you like it, but I simply don't buy it. Waitin' for new Opeth, DT, Pain of Salvation, King Crimson, Arjen Lucassen solo, Steven Wilson solo, O.S.I..

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:48 pm

pneumonia wrote:I was very disapointed with this album. After your positive feedback I gave Iconoclast a second chance, but it didn't convince me.
I receive this album as a "Paradise Lost II", but without the freshness which that album had. All those ideas, riffs, chourses seems for me to be copied from previous album. I don't want to analyze here which is from which song.
What is good: mix and production. It is much more professional than previous albumes.
Some people (no one here, but some other people) accuse Dream Theater that they play technical metal. This is much much more technical. It reminds me some parts of Systematic Chaos

And the last word: I simply hate choruses: "We are strong, we will fight". It's kindergarten.

I'm happy that you like it, but I simply don't buy it. Waitin' for new Opeth, DT, Pain of Salvation, King Crimson, Arjen Lucassen solo, Steven Wilson solo, O.S.I..

Oh well man, sorry, I like the album! If it's not good for you, don't buy it. As you say there are a lot of albums coming. :) It sounds really fresh and fantastic to me :)
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:48 pm

Wow, I like a lot the album. I keep listening and listening and I like it. My fav songs are Reigns in Madness and Electric Messiah. Incredible songs!!!!!!!

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:33 pm

"We are strong, we will fight". It's kindergarten
strange kindergarden

might help if you actually got the lyrics correct
Rise of the One -
The dark iconoclast
Forging a cult of fear
With legions unsurpassed
Shouting the word -
With vicious tongues of fire
Born of illusion and deceit
Fiendish soul of a liar

The chaos unseen rips
The midnight sky
Infernal machines arise
Flesh and steel collide

We are strong
We will stand and fight
We are strong
We will stand and fight

With rage we ride into the flames
Striking with spears of hate,
At the heart where evil reigns
Holding the line from the charge
Of armored steeds
Gather around this deadly ground,
Come watch the war god bleed.

The chaos unseen rips
The midnight sky
Infernal machines arise
Flesh and steel collide

We are strong
We will stand and fight
We are strong
We will stand and fight

Victory of death, only time will tell
Synthetic resurrection,
From the heart of hell
Slowly they fall, as we watch
The daylight die
We spit and curse this hallowed earth
With our final battle cry,

The chaos unseen rips
The midnight sky
Infernal machines arise -
Flesh and steel collide

We are strong
We will stand and fight
We are strong
We will stand and fight
what other alternatives do you suggest to fill the same melodic lines and poetic form of lyric style? are you against the whole form and style altogether? what alternative forms do you suggest for the same message that would make it stronger ?what about the context of the song and the story that is told in the verses? don't you think it's context is primal and lyrics that are primal fit the song? you might still hate it but i don't think it's accurate to call it kindergarten in form.

We are strong
we are strong
We will stand and fight
fight fight fight

a battle cry of call and response seems appropriate for a battle cry of getting a team together right before the action when there won't be a great deal of time for some long speech and much more would not add to the mood of primal fighting.

pneumonia

Post by pneumonia » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:29 am

Ok, i don't like the context either, happy?

Icecab, why are you always attacking if someone critisize a band, an album or sth. At these times there are milion of bands, so I have a moral law to approve ones against the others. Of course I can shut up, but where there is a sense of forum like this?

I liked Paradise Lost and previous albums especially The New Mythology Suite, now they moved into prog/speed metal areas, which in the case of SX I don't approve. And I am not the only person in the world who thinks so.

About lyrics: i'm alerged into some phrases, and in this song almost all they are (except eagle perhaps)

Have a nice day

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:22 am

thanks for the answer

so it's ok for people to criticise bands and the music, but not for the criticism to be criticized?

im not criticizing you for not liking the songs , but for calling the lyric kindergarten, as i don't think it makes sense since the material is not 5 year old content or style in context. how many 5 year old do you see doing the actions or facing the trials that the lyrics are talking about?

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:40 am

icecab21 wrote: so it's ok for people to criticise bands and the music, but not for the criticism to be criticized?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Priapus help us all
---...---

PRIAPUS

Post by PRIAPUS » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:57 am

AGAG wrote:
icecab21 wrote: so it's ok for people to criticise bands and the music, but not for the criticism to be criticized?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Priapus help us all
What is it this time? :buh:

-P :viking:

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:44 pm

I keep listening and listening and I like a lot! My fav songs are Reign in Madness and Electric Messiah, that stills the same. But there are others that are step by step nearer and nearer, like The Lord of Chaos and Prometheus for example. A really enjoyable album for me!