Best lyricist in metal?

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
mayhem-for-all
Re: Best lyricist in metal?

Post by mayhem-for-all » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:53 pm

TwilightEagle wrote:
mayhem-for-all wrote:
TwilightEagle wrote:Matias Kupiainen
Well I wouldnät consider him a major lyricist since he has co-written his Strato-songs with TK who I consider to be one of the best lyricists (Who also happens to have some of the worst lyrics too)
There's some wonderful lyrics, where Matias is involved, like Darkest Hours and Elysium. Personally I don't like Kotipelto's lyrics, what he has done alone. He can make a lot better lyrics with Matias. For me Sleep Well is one of worst lyrics I've ever heard.
Darkest Hours Lyrics were primarily by TK and he wasx included in Elysium as well.
Just because he has written a lot of poor lyrics doesn't mean he couldn't make some of the best too.

TwilightEagle

Post by TwilightEagle » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:52 pm

mayhem-for-all wrote:
TwilightEagle wrote:
mayhem-for-all wrote:
Well I wouldnät consider him a major lyricist since he has co-written his Strato-songs with TK who I consider to be one of the best lyricists (Who also happens to have some of the worst lyrics too)
There's some wonderful lyrics, where Matias is involved, like Darkest Hours and Elysium. Personally I don't like Kotipelto's lyrics, what he has done alone. He can make a lot better lyrics with Matias. For me Sleep Well is one of worst lyrics I've ever heard.
Darkest Hours Lyrics were primarily by TK and he wasx included in Elysium as well.
Just because he has written a lot of poor lyrics doesn't mean he couldn't make some of the best too.
Well, no matter who wrote them, but they have very good lyrics. But there's also worse lyrics by Kotipelto, like Sleep Well.

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:03 pm

TwilightEagle wrote:
mayhem-for-all wrote:
TwilightEagle wrote:
mayhem-for-all wrote:
Well, no matter who wrote them, but they have very good lyrics. But there's also worse lyrics by Kotipelto, like Sleep Well.
Yes I agree on his poor lyrics. Serenity album had a big bunch of weird lyrics. Still he has some of the best as well. If you look at any classic album of Strato you can see a big bunch of TKs lyrics.

Kosmo

Post by Kosmo » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:28 pm

I think Kakko has matured a lot as a lyricist, he had some mind blowingly bad lyrics back in the day but now with Unia and The Days of Grays it's poetry more than anything else.

But my favourite? Probably Mikael Åkerfeldt.

TwilightEagle

Post by TwilightEagle » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:05 pm

mayhem-for-all wrote:
TwilightEagle wrote:
mayhem-for-all wrote:
TwilightEagle wrote:
mayhem-for-all wrote:
Yes I agree on his poor lyrics. Serenity album had a big bunch of weird lyrics. Still he has some of the best as well. If you look at any classic album of Strato you can see a big bunch of TKs lyrics.
It's true. But some of Kotipelto's lyrics on the solo albums are worse, but there's also very good lyrics by him on Stratovarius albums.

Damien Thorn

Prog poet...

Post by Damien Thorn » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:35 pm

I always liked Geoff Tate's work...
Trite
Rhetorical
Cliched
Inane

Damien Thorn

Prog poet II...

Post by Damien Thorn » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:42 pm

Geoff Tate understands the fine art of self-pity, which is an absolute prerequisite for spiritual growth...

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yrokWXe0tfI?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yrokWXe0tfI?fs=1&amp;hl=nl_NL" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Cheerio,

Dow Jones
Trite
Rhetorical
Cliched
Inane

Damien Thorn

Queensrÿche

Post by Damien Thorn » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:50 pm

My favourite QR song...

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/A4duZjxusGM?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/A4duZjxusGM?fs=1&amp;hl=nl_NL" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="390"></embed></object>

... and listen to these intro riffs (that's right, two guitars playing different, harmonized parts)...

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2c3g6tTYoxM?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2c3g6tTYoxM?fs=1&amp;hl=nl_NL" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="390"></embed></object>

Cheerio,

Damien
Trite
Rhetorical
Cliched
Inane

ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ

Re: Prog poet II...

Post by ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:02 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:Geoff Tate understands the fine art of self-pity, which is an absolute prerequisite for spiritual growth...

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yrokWXe0tfI?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yrokWXe0tfI?fs=1&amp;hl=nl_NL" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Cheerio,

Dow Jones

:cry: Oh God! Poor thing! I feel really sorry for him where he stands at the crossroad...What sad things will happen next... :cry: :cry:

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:53 pm

Oh, Geoff Taint? Like Portnoy called him before. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

AGAG

Re: Prog poet II...

Post by AGAG » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:07 pm

Damien Thorn wrote: fine art of self-pity, which is an absolute prerequisite for spiritual growth...
Damien, damien! Oh, have you forgotten to eat your cheerios today? :crazy1:
---...---

Kosmo

Re: Prog poet...

Post by Kosmo » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:03 am

Damien Thorn wrote:I always liked Geoff Tate's work...
Ahh yeah, Mindcrime is so good lyrically.

Damien Thorn

Re: Prog poet...

Post by Damien Thorn » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:25 pm

Kosmo wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:I always liked Geoff Tate's work...
Ahh yeah, Mindcrime is so good lyrically.
Yes, it's a great record, one of my all-time favourites. The lyrics are a bit overly dramatic perhaps, but that was true for Pink Floyd's The Wall as well. I would consider Operation: Mindcrime one of the greatest achievements in heavy rock to date. I could think of some records that I enjoy equally well, but few are as complete and inspired as this one...

It's not an album for little girls or Justin Bieber fans though. And it sure helps if you've read some Orwell...

Cheerio,

Damien
Trite
Rhetorical
Cliched
Inane

Damien Thorn

Post by Damien Thorn » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:28 pm

robocop656 wrote:Oh, Geoff Taint? Like Portnoy called him before.
Did he? That's a lot coming from the drummer of a band that made one good record (Images and Words) in over two decades...

Cheerio,

Damien
Trite
Rhetorical
Cliched
Inane

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:23 am

This one is two hard for me, you might as well ask me which family member I like the most. :lol:
metal feeds the beast

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:06 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
robocop656 wrote:Oh, Geoff Taint? Like Portnoy called him before.
Did he? That's a lot coming from the drummer of a band that made one good record (Images and Words) in over two decades...

Cheerio,

Damien
that feud died sometime ago, they had played together sometimes ever since.
A9

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:52 am

Oh yeah, the members of queensryche and dream theater have been friends for years
metal feeds the beast

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:33 pm

HAahaa, :lol:, was reading wet dream theater drama a while ago and saw that topic about GEOFF TAINT. That is all. I'm not a fan of either.

Luinedhel

Post by Luinedhel » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:32 am

ME

P.S: I like robocop656's dolphin gif
This song is about, a diamond...
It's not green, blue, white or yellow... But is Black Diamond!

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:34 am

You're so full of yourself. Do you live in buenos aires?
---...---

Luinedhel

Post by Luinedhel » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:38 am

ehm, luckily not. Bariloche, 1500 km to the left <----
This song is about, a diamond...
It's not green, blue, white or yellow... But is Black Diamond!