Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events (new album)

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
RazielSR
Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events (new album)

Post by RazielSR » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:21 am

Progressive metal giants DREAM THEATER have set "A Dramatic Turn Of Events" as the title of their new album, tentatively due in early September via Roadrunner Records. The CD is currently being mixed by Andy Wallace, who has previously worked with AVENGED SEVENFOLD, WHITE ZOMBIE, RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE, SEPULTURA, SLAYER and NIRVANA, among many others.

"I'm incredibly psyched with the way this album came out and can't wait to share it with everybody," guitarist John Petrucci, who also serves as the producer for "A Dramatic Turn Of Events", said. "We are currently in the mix stage with the great Andy Wallace and it's all sounding amazing!"

"We have poured our hearts and minds into the creation of this album," keyboardist Jordan Rudess offered. "All the life changing events that surrounded us before, as well as during the whole process, fueled our desire to dig deep within ourselves and create the best music we possibly could."

Vocalist James LaBrie said, "In the grand scheme of DREAM THEATER's career, the last several months have been such an incredibly positive, fulfilling and rewarding experience. The new songs and sound has never been so spirited or rejuvenating. I cannot wait for every one of our fans to sink their audio senses into this batch of tunes."
Hi everyone. It's official. The album title and track listing for the new DT album is:

A Dramatic Turn of Events

On the Backs of Angels
Build Me Up, Break Me Down
Lost Not Forgotten
This is the Life
The Shaman's Trance
Outcry
Far From Heaven
Breaking All Illusions
Beneath The Surface

Stay tuned for more information on www.dreamtheater.net tomorrow morning!
http://www.dreamtheater.net/news_dreamtheater.php#adtoe

Image[/quote]
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

Kosmo

Re: Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events (new album)

Post by Kosmo » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:28 am

YES! 8)

VictorTDD

Post by VictorTDD » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:48 am

cool :lol:

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:38 am

A pretentious album title. But, I am very interested in what they come up with. I heard they wrote the album before they went into the studio this time, which is a big step.

And with Portnoy out, I hope they stop trying to "copy" modern styles (icecar alert!! :lol: :lol:) and just be themselves.

Honestly though, it will probably just be more of the same... :roll:

Kosmo

Post by Kosmo » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:22 pm

Yeah that album title is pretty bad indeed.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:07 pm

if they are being themselves, why would the music be radically different from what they put out before? if they used elements that are the same from album to album, it would be because those are elements that they like and feel are natural.

if modern elements were added that were not part of their style, those modern elements would be something new for the band. if the modern elements were added because the band wanted to add them, then the band is being itself. it's nature to want to play what you like and have what you like in your music.

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:43 pm

Blah, blah, blah.

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:05 pm

Now THAT is a really cute cat :) :) :)
---...---

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:40 pm

icecab21 wrote:if they are being themselves, why would the music be radically different from what they put out before? if they used elements that are the same from album to album, it would be because those are elements that they like and feel are natural.

if modern elements were added that were not part of their style, those modern elements would be something new for the band. if the modern elements were added because the band wanted to add them, then the band is being itself. it's nature to want to play what you like and have what you like in your music.
Then can we cut out the mainstream shit and get back to actually being a progressive metal band again?

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:09 am

AGAG wrote:Now THAT is a really cute cat :) :) :)

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:59 am

robocop656 wrote:
AGAG wrote:Now THAT is a really cute cat :) :) :)

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:36 am

Then can we cut out the mainstream shit and get back to actually being a progressive metal band again?
what are some of the "mainstream shit" parts and what are some of the "progressive metal" parts

some songs from the bands first album
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l326glc1XQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zlaEno1oBU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Guf3-gbC2J8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oez4tDWeEHA

some songs from the bands last album
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4yzYKIiV9Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADX9DdURn8o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GipraonNlNo

i hear the 1989 as being more mainstream than the 2009 cd. far more similar material in 1989 charts than in the charts of 2009. if it were not for a 20 year history of building a brand and fan base, the 2009 album would not have done so well

now to me, the band looks more in line with 1989 mainstream culture than 2009 mainstream culture

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:48 am

AAAAAAAAAA wrote: And with Portnoy out, I hope they stop trying to "copy" modern styles (icecar alert!! :lol: :lol:) and just be themselves.
icecar wrote:what are some of the "mainstream shit" parts and what are some of the "progressive metal" parts

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:25 am

Well, icecab is right in some things. For me Pull me under, Surrounded, Lifting Shadows Off A Dream, Innocence Faded to name some of their top albums, are mainstream song, a lot more than many of their songs coming these past years.

For me is not a problem to have some mainstream songs like Wither of a Rite of Passage, that is normal. Imo BC&SL is an extremely good album and TCOT is a masterpiece for me. Just for the intro and the end I'm sold.

What happens is that when a band is making music many years, people get tired and whatever they release, it's bad, or copy, or mainstream, bla bla bla. It's always the same. Sometimes is true, some other times is not that true. There are a lot of examples of new bands releasing albums that people loves, but at the same time that people would say is bad if an "old" band release it.

I have to say that the title name is a bit...dunno, The first time I say the news, I thought it was a fake. I think it is the first time that I don't like that much an album title by DT.

I have high expectations for this album, I think it will be one of their best ones.
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

pneumonia

Post by pneumonia » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:54 pm

And I also agree with Raziel and icecab. They've been into mainstream from their very first songs. The least mainstream album for me is was (except ACOS) Metropolis pt II. Innocent Faded, The Silent Man or Hollow Years are very very mainstream.

And the influences are good! Sometimes I hear a part of Muse, U2, sometimes Rush or Pink Floyd, but who cares. New influences refreshes their music. The biggest plus of their music is a fact that they had never released two similar albums. It is a big challenge and I hope this one would also be at high level.

Some people will complain when band change their style, some when not. It's impossible to make happy them all

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:49 am

pneumonia wrote:And I also agree with Raziel and icecab. They've been into mainstream from their very first songs. The least mainstream album for me is was (except ACOS) Metropolis pt II. Innocent Faded, The Silent Man or Hollow Years are very very mainstream.

And the influences are good! Sometimes I hear a part of Muse, U2, sometimes Rush or Pink Floyd, but who cares. New influences refreshes their music. The biggest plus of their music is a fact that they had never released two similar albums. It is a big challenge and I hope this one would also be at high level.

Some people will complain when band change their style, some when not. It's impossible to make happy them all
Perhaps it's not so much the mainstream shit as it is that they've made essentially the same album 3 times in a row now. Systematic Chaos was a bit heavier and more Portnoy-vocalish, but other than that, stylistically they've gone stagnant, that's unacceptable for a progressive metal band

Empathica1928

Post by Empathica1928 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:01 pm

Octavarium was Dream Theater's last real masterpiece. That album has songs obviously influenced by bands like Muse (Never Enough totally sounds like them), yet it was done in an interesting way and the music and lyrics were both incredible. That album had such a mystical, Dream Theater uniqueness to it that I still get chills listening to it sometimes.

Systematic Chaos was when they fell way off. It didn't age well at all for me. Same with Black Clouds & Silver Linings - The Best of Times and The Count of Tuscany are incredible songs, but the others not so much. Wither is a boring, plodding 'ballad' and A Rite of Passage sounds way too much like a commercial prog metal song, it just sounds forced. It doesn't sound natural.

Looking forward to the new album regardless.... with the departure of Portnoy and Myung writing lyrics again I expect some great things. Hopefully they drop this wannabe-br00tal bullshit.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:15 am

do people think everyone else hears the songs the same way they do? as if the band thought of a song as boring that they would put the song out?

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:20 am

icecab21 wrote:do people think everyone else hears the songs the same way they do? as if the band thought of a song as boring that they would put the song out?
But boredom is a feeling. Therefore we should eat ice cream.
---...---

Damien Thorn

Cool...

Post by Damien Thorn » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:27 am

Cool... let's hope they have a few memorable songs on the record. Images and Words is still my favourite Dream Theater album, so you know where I'm coming from...

Cheers,

Damien
Trite
Rhetorical
Cliched
Inane

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:03 pm

New JLB interview at Bravewords:
Not to dumb down the situation – drummer Mike Portnoy’s departure from DREAM THEATER is as shocking an event as Rob Halford ditching JUDAS PRIEST and Bruce Dickinson leaving IRON MAIDEN – but it’s been almost 10 months since he opted to call it quits due to a nasty case of burnout. The internet babble over the hows and whys of his decision continue unabated, there’s plenty of discussion about his replacement, Mike Mangini, and whether or not he’s good enough for the castle that Portnoy built, but the reality is that the band has moved on. Bottom line: the fans should face front and prepare themselves for a bold new chapter in the Dream Theater legacy rather than look back.

“We’d like to move on to greener pastures,” vocalist James LaBrie says of having to rehash the Portnoy story interview after interview, even though he accepts this need to know from the people he comes in contact with. “Let me put it this way; the band is in a very positive light right now, we’re all mutually involved in the music, we’re all really receptive to one another, so there a really big and open communication going on. It’s probably the closest that a band possibly get to a democracy. Rock n’ roll bands are generally dysfunctional democracies (laughs) but this does tend to work and it’s proven itself.”

LaBrie does address the issue of Portnoy wanting to put the band on a lengthy hiatus in order to get his mojo back, and the refusal to do so that led to the drum legend’s unprecedented departure.

“To be honest with you, when it all did go down, we didn’t see it coming. But now in retrospect, when we look back at the tour we did with Iron Maiden and the last shows we did, we can kind of see it. There was a lot of thought and apprehension as to where Mike wanted to go with the band, and how much further along he wanted to go with the band at this particular point in his life. There weren’t any telltale signs to say that he was miserable and not into it, but it was undeniable for us that there was nothing else to do but continue. We weren’t ready to sit back and take a break, we weren’t ready to say ‘Let’s do other things for the next three to five years.’ Mike was hinting at a hiatus of that length and we were like, ‘No. We’re coming off a great tour, the album did really well for us even in today’s, no way.’”

Portnoy was never “just” the drummer in Dream Theater. As one of the founding members he was a major creative force, and as the band’s popularity grew, the filter through which most if not all aspects of Dream Theater’s development passed. It stands to reason that the band’s creative dynamics have changed considerably without him in the mix.

“Mike was involved in a lot of aspects of the band,” confirms LaBrie. “If you look at how he orchestrated the DVDs, things with the label, the tours and the setlists we presented every night, and wanting to have the whole visual thing come across to the audience. Truth be known, though, two of the main writers are still in the band; John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess, who are both monsters when it comes to the creative end of things. That dynamic has always been extremely powerful. John Myung (bass) also contributed to the music on this album much more than he has in quite some time, and that’s because of the how the dynamic changed in the band. So, was Mike involved? Absolutely. Has the dynamic changed? Yes, in the sense that he wasn’t there when we were making the new album. In the past he would be a presence, so to speak, he would be very verbal and involved, whereas this time it was basically the four of us in there.”

“Mike Mangini wasn’t with us yet, so it was the four of us being able to sit around and really sink into ideas, and not feel pressured in any way to move on and get to the next idea. Everything kind of unfolded and everyone let things develop in a very relaxed atmosphere. As intense as it might have been, it was extremely relaxed. It definitely worked, and I think that’ll be very clear when people hear the new album. The Dream Theater identity, it’s undeniable that it’s still very much intact.”

LaBrie isn’t one for trash-talking, but hearing him discuss this change of atmosphere opens up questions about just how much of a death grip Portnoy had on the Dream Theater formula. He certainly sounds like a control freak…

“That’s just his personality. He’s OCD, so he likes to have things a certain way (laughs). He’s also opinionated and strong-headed, so it comes with the territory with people that have that kind of personality. They want to be in charge, they want things to be done their way because they have a clear vision of what they want. That was absolutely a part of Dream Theater, but now people also have to realize that there are five extremely capable individuals that are able to contribute creatively. I’m not talking about just musically, I’m talking about the whole. How do we want to present ourselves visually on the next tour? What are the setlists going to be like? The involvement of Mike Mangini, who is just phenomenal; I can’t wait for people to hear what he did on this album.”

“We’ve come up with some frickin’ incredible stuff, and I think the fans are going to be freaked out when they hear it. The fact is, Mike was great at what he did – his vision was well put into plan – but now you have five people that are constantly shooting ideas back and forth. It’s more of a unified contribution with regards to how we’re going to come off. On a creative end we’re all more involved, and that continues with every other little aspect of this band. We feel that if we’re going to do this, if this is a new chapter, we all need to be completely on the same page and very unified. It just makes for a stronger front.”

Slipping into this new groove, says LaBrie, proved to be far easier than one might expect of a band that’s lost a core member.

“In a way, Mike leaving really did show us that there is another side to Dream Theater that maybe we never would have discovered if something like this hadn’t gone down. It’s really opened up a whole new avenue, with us realizing some of our wants and needs and having some of out opinions being fulfilled. If this hadn’t happened we wouldn’t have known all this potential is here.”

Word has it, however, that Portnoy did in fact change his mind and asked to come back to the fold a few months later. According to LaBrie there wasn’t much soul searching on the band’s part; they refused his “offer” and locked the door.

“How it actually went down was that in early November 2010, Mike had contacted us about the possibility of looking at the situation again because he wanted to come back. At that point we’d already auditioned the seven drummers and made the documentary of the process. We’d already decided who our new drummer was going to be, but we didn’t let the world know because of all the logistics involved in making the documentary and keeping it exciting in the way it would unfold. We’d already let Mike Mangini know he was in the band and we weren’t about to go back on that. Mike Portnoy was saying ‘I don’t want to have anything to do with the band at this point, my heart’s not in it…’ and then 10 weeks later saying he was interested again. It just didn’t feel right, it didn’t strike a good chord with us. We’d already taken on somebody we knew was unbelievably committed to what was going on and where we wanted to go, so it would have been an insult to Mike Mangini to suddenly change our minds. The game was well into play and we weren’t about to change it.”

Asked to describe the new album, which is due to surface in September as the aptly titled A Dramatic Turn Of Events, LaBrie feels the new energy in the band has turned out a record that will be embraced wholeheartedly by the fans.

“It all comes down to what the listener interprets. To me it’s a classic album of great progressive moments. I think we’ve really gone back to some of our classic glory, and at the same tine there’s still some of that progressive metal Dream Theater in there, but in a more controlled and less bombastic sense. It’s harnessed in a more complimentary direction that maybe Scenes From A Memory or Images And Words was. Progressive, but with those heavy elements in there, and not having one side overshadow the other. Melodically, the new album has come up to a whole new level; I was involved from beginning to end with the melodies. It’s extremely well balanced, and there’s some unbelievable interaction going on instrumentally on this album.”

“John Petrucci (guitars) produced the album and he’s been unbelievably committed to this. He’s put so much time into the album and he’s had a pretty clear vision of how he wanted it to unfold. When we were recording he did the drum programming, and some of the stuff he was coming up with was insane (laughs). It was great. We’d send the songs in completed form with the drum programming to Mike Mangini, he would take it and figure out what worked for him and where he wanted to put in some of himself. When he was laying down the drums, trust me, Mangini is all over this album. He was absolutely phenomenal.”

“I’ve worked with him on three albums already, so my jaw had already hit the floor several times before he came in to do this one (laughs). And the other guys were doing the exact same thing when they saw him play for this album.”

As for Mangini putting his signature on the band’s older material – the biggest concern amongst diehard Portnoy supporters – LaBrie admits it’s still a question mark. Chances that the fans will be disappointed are slim to none.

“Aside from the auditions, where we did three songs, I haven’t heard him do any of the old stuff,” LaBrie reveals. “He knows there are certain sections of various songs when he has to stick to the mold, and he knows when he can be himself. Mike Mangini is very intuitive and incredibly musical, and he’s made it clear that he’s going to be putting some of himself into the old songs, but when the sections or the pieces really call for him to stay on the MP train, he’ll do so. That’s admirable and that’s professional.”
http://www.bravewords.com/news/163672

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:48 pm

Wow! A song leaked!

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oxjdcvraOSM?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oxjdcvraOSM?ve ... p;hl=es_ES" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
---...---

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:07 pm

He’s OCD
Well thats new :shock: is he really OCD?

pneumonia

Post by pneumonia » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:05 am

Something has leaked

http://t.co/LHAjmGW

I haven't listened to it, because I wait for the oficial release, but maybe someone is more curious than me.

And I like the artwork (if it is oficial).

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:22 am

pneumonia wrote:Something has leaked
I said that first :x
---...---

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:42 am

The "leaked" song is called "Slightly out of Reach" and its from James Labrie's 2005 solo album. But please listen to it anyway, its a good song! :)
AGAG wrote:
Would you two babies change your diapers and move on? :roll:

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:54 am

In fact, it is a good song. Labrie's solo albums are great. But, of course, it is nof from the newe DT album :lol: You can hear Shaman's trance leak too :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:29 pm

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
AGAG wrote:
Would you two babies change your diapers and move on? :roll:
Would you help me? I think I made a mess... :(
---...---

pneumonia

Post by pneumonia » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:34 pm

Ok :) Thanks for info. It's weird that no one in comments noticed... I know only the first Muzzmuzzler (JLB project solo) and it has some cool songs but nothing really special (with Mangini). I tried the last album - "Static Impulse", but it is not my music definetely (short songs with growls), but I don't criticise.

By the way it's great that Andy Wallace mixes this release. I love his Nirvana, Korn and Muse mixes. He also mixed "Test for Echo" Rush and "Nightmare" Avenged Sevenfold. He always make his CD very remarkable like in "Absolution" or "Nevermind".

They should have remix their previous albums, it was always their weakest point (except Octavarium where Brauner made a wonderful work -really) :)

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:57 am

Dream Theater To Debut New Track!

The wait is finally over! Tomorrow, June 29th at 11 AM EST progressive titans Dream Theater will be unveiling their new track, "On The Backs of Angels", on Roadrunner Records YouTube Page. Dream Theater's new album A Dramatic Turn Of Events features new drummer Mike Mangini.

Dream Theaters hit web series The Spirit Carries On takes you inside the drummer audition process. Watch as seven of the world’s greatest drummers try out, and see why the band chose Mike Mangini.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/news/D ... 23075.aspx