Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events (new album)

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
RazielSR
Re: Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events (new album)

Post by RazielSR » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:10 pm

On The Back Of Angels: http://youtu.be/oasnbzEMV08

Sounds really classic DT. What a wonderful song. It's clear that they want to use again their most proggy side. It reminds a lot I&W-Awake-SFAM. This song could have been in some of that albums without problem.
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

pneumonia

Post by pneumonia » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:35 pm

Yes, and finally the keyboard is more important like on Octavarium. I must listen few times to say something more, but after 2 listenings to I can only say that A Dramatic Turn of Events surely will be certainly good.

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:54 pm

This was my face when I saw the album cover:

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:21 am

The song is pretty good at a first listen... which is encouraging considering it's over 8 minutes long.

If I hadn't known that Mangini replaced Portnoy, I'd never be able to tell.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:38 am

robocop656 wrote:This was my face when I saw the album cover:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually it was a pretty good song!
Looking forward to hearing the rest of the album.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:00 am

that. was. terrible.
LaBrie's performance was AWFUL, and the composition was the same damn thing I've heard on the last 3 albums. ENOUGH

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:21 am

Rebel wrote:that. was. terrible.
LaBrie's performance was AWFUL, and the composition was the same damn thing I've heard on the last 3 albums. ENOUGH
At least we don't have Mike Portnoy's obnoxious backing vocals or atrocious lyrics...

Anyway, its not Images&Words, but its a step in the right direction...I don't hear anything so far that sounds like "Forsaken" or "Dark Eternal Night" :repuke:

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:10 am

that. was. terrible.
This was my face when I was reading your post:

I will never understand your Porpucine Tree love and your DT hate.

Seriously, are you deaf? How can someone say it sounds the same like the last album? for me BC&SL it's a wonderful album, but to say this sounds the same and that Labrie's performance sounds awful is just.. You can say you like it or not, but your statement is just... not normal :shock:

And please, yes...enough from you talking about DT cause you never say a word based in real facts when talking about DT, you are always talking about what the band should be in your mind and the rest is all shit. Man, take a breath and stop listening DT! It's not that difficult! It will be better for your health and convictions.

About the song, I like a lot as I said and what It's more clear is that the drums are not mixed that loud like in the last albums, sounds more like I&W-Awake-SFAM era drums. The bass is here again and Rudess is just amazing.
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:24 am

RazielSR wrote:
that. was. terrible.

Seriously, are you deaf? How can someone say it sounds the same like the last album? for me BC&SL it's a wonderful album, but to say this sounds the same and that Labrie's performance sounds awful is just.. You can say you like it or not, but your statement is just... not normal :shock:

And please, yes...enough from you talking about DT cause you never say a word based in real facts when talking about DT, you are always talking about what the band should be in your mind and the rest is all shit. Man, take a breath and stop listening DT! It's not that difficult! It will be better for your health and convictions.

About the song, I like a lot as I said and what It's more clear is that the drums are not mixed that loud like in the last albums, sounds more like I&W-Awake-SFAM era drums. The bass is here again and Rudess is just amazing.

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:29 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:30 am

Balu

Post by Balu » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:49 pm

RazielSR wrote:
that. was. terrible.

The only thing I don't agree about is Rudess. Hell, I think he's the weakest part of DT. No idea why people usually don't like Labrie.

The song was mediocre, I expected more.

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:20 pm

Balu wrote:
RazielSR wrote:
that. was. terrible.

The only thing I don't agree about is Rudess. Hell, I think he's the weakest part of DT. No idea why people usually don't like Labrie.

The song was mediocre, I expected more.
Rudess is the weakest part of DT---......that sentence bro shall remain in infamy for eons. :lol:
A9

pneumonia

Post by pneumonia » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:30 pm

That is what I love in music (art generally): those extremely different opinions :):)

But let's talk about facts not tastes:
- this song is different that last 3 albums. I don't agree with Rebel. Of course U can critisice, but it is not similar, the form of this is very similar to Pull Me Under (intro, riff, staccato keyboards) and it is rather next I&W than Systematic Chaos.
- one song is too little to say something about direction of band, their condition, about Mangini, etc., but in my opinion it will be without nu-metal, industrial influences, that perhaps Portnoy gave into Dream Theater on albums from ToT to BC&SL

Now let's talk about tastes:
- "Rudess is the weakest link" - hmmm... I prefer Moore and Sherinian, but Rudess has great sounds of his keys, if you listen to O.S.I. (Moore project - the CD is wonderful), you will hear, that Moore uses a lot of same patterns, which makes each song similar. Rudess is also quite courageous using very dance music leads (like Jens sometimes), but musically I think he is not as talented as Kevin.
- "James LB voice is awful" - it is very controversial, I think he is much better here than on ToT or Systematic Chaos. In fact many progressive bands (including Porcupine Tree -which I really like) has almost the same character of vocals and in paradoxally nowadays JLB voice is even more fresh than in the beginning of 90s, where everyone (includin JLB) were copying Bruce Dickinson :)
In this piece - which I think is the most "commercial" song of the album, vocals are a bit monotonic, but it is usually in single releases. I hope on the rest of the album he will show a wider range
- and Rebel IHMO ToT was a good but not great release (in my taste it was too "heavy metal"), but Octavarium was a killer album, SC very mediocre (Dark Eternal Night), but BC&SL I loved (except Rite of Passage)
- to Balu:if this song is mediocre, show me a song released in the last year which was great. I don't want to argue with you, but i'm curious about your opinion. Seriously :)
- I can't wait to the concert in my home city in July :) and they are playing with Amplifier (check their new album:Octopus - it is worth listening)
- last but least: the mix is great, but the mastering overcompressed (in Europe people compress little lighter)

Have a nice day(evening)! :)

Balu

Post by Balu » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:37 pm

@adrian: Why, who else? It's either him or Myung, but while Myung does nothing truly outstanding, I don't have any complaints about him either, but I do about Rudess.

@pneumonia: Great song? Hard one, I tend to rate albums as a whole. My favorite albums so far were Strato - Elysium; Falconer - Armod; Devin Townsend Project - Deconstruction; and SX - Iconoclast will probably be up there after a few more listens. These all have far better songs than this one - title track (at least, but for me, most of the songs) on Elysium, Svarta Änkan on Armod (but again, I enjoy all of them more), and Planet of the Apes and The Mighty Masturbator were outstandingly amazing on Decon.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:10 am

OF COURSE THERE ARE OBJECTIVE RIGHTS AND WRONGS IN ART AND PERSONAL TASTES THIS IS WHY EVERYONE LISTENS TO THE SAME MUSIC RIGHT
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:22 am

OF COURSE THERE ARE OBJECTIVE RIGHTS AND WRONGS IN ART AND PERSONAL TASTES
just listen to the last three Rebel albums where he shows everyone how it's done right

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:46 am

ImageImageImageImage

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:35 am

The best thing of this song for me is that I can't almost remember a line or a chorus. That's what I look for in DT. Songs that even being singles, you need a lot of listens to get in and fully appreciate. I don't want typical singles that you forget in one week. The song is more instrumental oriented than vocal, and LaBrie does not sound like the "bad guy", he is extremely good when singing in a melodic way.

I'm really looking forward to this album, it will be plenty of good moments for sure.

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:38 pm

robocop656 wrote:ImageImageImageImage
This is the only statement I agree with in this whole thread.
---...---

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:55 pm

AGAG wrote:
I find the circumcision objectionable. :roll:

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:34 pm

icecab21 wrote:
just listen to the last three Rebel albums where he shows everyone how it's done right
progressive metal done right from 2009-2011, off the top of my head
O.S.I.- Blood
Jolly- The Audio Guide to Happiness Pt. I
Sun Caged- The Lotus Effect

pneumonia

Post by pneumonia » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:18 pm

It's hard to compare O.S.I and DT. Although Blood is great I feel it's almost other genre than DT. But as a listener I need both bands, because they play completely different music

The rest I haven't heard, but maybe I'll try.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:32 pm

O.S.I.- Blood
Can you give some bands where you think their last three albums, or three albums in a row, have been progressive metal done right?

Balu

Post by Balu » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:28 pm

icecab21 wrote:
O.S.I.- Blood
Can you give some bands where you think their last three albums, or three albums in a row, have been progressive metal done right?
Wasn't directed at me, but since I've been pretty critical of DT, I'll answer too. Plus, I like postcount.
Anyway, if you want a more 'classical' approach to progressive metal, Shadow Gallery's albums, with the exception of the first, are all of really high quality. If you're open to some more experimentation, all of Devin Townsend's metal albums are excellent. :>

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:22 pm

Rebel wrote:
icecab21 wrote:
O.S.I.- Blood
Umm. Porcupine Tree's last 4 have been excellent. Theocracy is at a strong 2 for 2, but they have power metal influence.

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:52 pm

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
AGAG wrote:
I find the circumcision objectionable. :roll:
I disagree. I think it has a good stand.

Balu

Post by Balu » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:00 pm

Rebel wrote:
Rebel wrote:
icecab21 wrote:
O.S.I.- Blood
Umm. Porcupine Tree's last 4 have been excellent. Theocracy is at a strong 2 for 2, but they have power metal influence.
PT's last wasn't great, Theocracy are excellent, but neither one is prog metal.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:01 am

so pt last 4?
what was your measure of how metal an album is?

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:14 am

icecab21 wrote:so pt last 4?
what was your measure of how metal an album is?
Difficult question, and Porcupine Tree pushes that barrier sometimes. In Absentia was clearly metal, as was Deadwing. Fear of a Blank Planet is maybe less metal, and The Incident sort of floats back and forth between very heavy and very prog. I'm not pretending Prog Metal is easy to pull off, and so it frustrates me when Dream Theater CLEARLY has the talent to do it, but they're just so complacent.