Obama orders media blackout over flooded nuclear plant

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
warrencurrymetal
Obama orders media blackout over flooded nuclear plant

Post by warrencurrymetal » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:14 am

http://nation.com.pk/pakistan-news-news ... ant-report

supposedly the power plant in fort calhoun NE is in trouble with the record level flooding persisting and Obama has ordered a media blackout regarding the subject matter. Anyone hear about this? any reliable sources? (maybe european 3rd party sources?)

The Fort Calhoun Nuclear Power Plant consists of a reactor of 500 MW pressurized water in the state of Nebraska is well and truly invaded by floodwaters in Missouri since June 6 According to the networkout nuclear power, Waste containing cesium-137 stored at the site since 1992 would hold a more substantial risk of contamination than the amount released by the four reactors at Fukushima. A significant risk exists outside that of the flood pools containing 670 tons of radioactive spent fuel to a 100 million curies, the flood can damage the electrical system power and cooling plant. Only a sandbag dam was built in an emergency to ensure a semblance of security. Fort Calhoun is currently on high alert ...

"According to a non-governmental network ( [link to www.nirs.org] A water discharge potentially irradiated product is June 13 at approximately 400 liters per minute and this indefinitely. On June 17, Omaha Public Power District, which manages the plant reported the existence of a "hole" in the soil that could affect the security of the site linked to the flooding. This hole was filled the same day.

more @ [link to http://www.lepost.fr/article/2011/06/21 ... -unis.html ]

taken from http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum ... 534783/pg3

browneyedgirl

Re: Obama orders media blackout over flooded nuclear plant

Post by browneyedgirl » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:51 pm

I don't think "Godlikeproductions" is a reliable site. They usually try to brainwash and scare people with farout paranoid propaganda.

Btw, FEMA is setting up hidden concentration camps for US citizens in case of widespead natural disasters, too. :wink:

Jabi

Post by Jabi » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:06 pm

browneyedgirl wrote:I don't think "Godlikeproductions" is a reliable site. They usually try to brainwash and scare people with farout paranoid propaganda.
I'm not expert on GLP, but judging from a brief visit it seems more like that a lot of people are using the forums to post fiction for their personal entertainment. "I'm a time traveller, ask me a question". (Yeah, sure you are =P)

That said, a lot of people on there are probably being serious. But it may turn out rather difficult to discern the truth. After all, the site's official disclaimer is as follows:
Godlikeproductions wrote:DON'T BELIEVE A DAMN WORD YOU READ ON THIS WEBSITE!

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:57 am

That is all. :)

BBBBBBBBB

Post by BBBBBBBBB » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:12 am

browneyedgirl wrote: Btw, FEMA is setting up hidden concentration camps for US citizens in case of widespead natural disasters, too. :wink:
...with guillotines...

Stratowarius

Post by Stratowarius » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:39 am

:x PFFFFFF. This is NOTHING compared to Kola in NW Russia, and Rosatomes all plants. They are very sensitive to strong winds. Ja, it says so! Strong winds!!! At least this is what the environment-organisation(?) Bellona In Oslo claims...and they use to know.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:23 am

BBBBBBBBB wrote:
browneyedgirl wrote: Btw, FEMA is setting up hidden concentration camps for US citizens in case of widespead natural disasters, too. :wink:
...with guillotines...
Let them eat cake! :D Or, in the USA's case, Twinkies! :D

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:29 am

Stratowarius wrote::x PFFFFFF. This is NOTHING compared to Kola in NW Russia, and Rosatomes all plants. They are very sensitive to strong winds. Ja, it says so! Strong winds!!! At least this is what the environment-organisation(?) Bellona In Oslo claims...and they use to know.
You haven't heard the Yucca-drought on central america last summer. The results were frankly tragic. Hundreds of crops all wasted because of abnormally boisterous solar winds. Not to talk about the mango-season sugar supply..

Let me remark this: TRAGIC.
---...---

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:02 pm

There is a Nuclear power plant about 40 miles from where i live(it's almost in my son's backyard--literally)and after the deadly tornadoes hit in late April with an F5 roaring down highway 72 just missed the plant by several yards. :shock: Talk about a close call. Who know what would have happened if that twister had of hit dead center of the plant. I guess everyone for miles around would be glowing now. It's something to think about---when these plants are constructed I don't think people think seriously about natural disasters hitting the things. ???

warrencurrymetal

Post by warrencurrymetal » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:27 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGga2sRF9qg

so much for a media blackout. . .

It is my understanding that Nuclear power plants are designed for floods and tornadoes and such disasters. Japan was such a freak occurrence with the earthquake of such magnitude.

Damien Thorn

Post by Damien Thorn » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:12 pm

browneyedgirl wrote:When these plants are constructed, I don't think people think seriously about natural disasters hitting the things.
Well, they do. It's just that - like with all engineering - they have safety margins and tolerances based on previous experiences. In Fukushima the nuclear plant would have been okay if those waves had reached up to five metres, but the tsunami had other plans...

It's actually very simple. Nuclear power plants can be made safer than the safest one currently in existence, but they cannot be made absolutely safe. Up until now, that has meant one absolutely devastating nuclear disaster will occur somewhere on this planet every two or three decades. After that, some plants will of course be modified to meet the latest safety requirements. However, some plants will not be updated and will remain an accident waiting to happen and a colossal risk to public health.

The advocates of nuclear power always state that it is relatively safe, cheap, sustainable and beneficial for the ecosystem. That's simply not true on all counts. (Actually, the exact opposite is true.) What is true is that nuclear energy is a paradigm for monopolizing the supply of electricity and centralizing power. Some powerful people think it's necessary to thwart individual initiative and subjugate the people to their will at all cost. Nuclear power enables that form of hierarchical government, while alternative sources of energy (mainly solar) do not...

Take your pick, nuclear power or a solar panel on your roof...

Ciao,

Damien
Trite
Rhetorical
Cliched
Inane

Damien Thorn

Post by Damien Thorn » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:16 pm

Oh, I forgot to mention that the media blackout is probably nonsense. Obama has nothing to gain from such a cover-up, so why would he?

D.
Trite
Rhetorical
Cliched
Inane

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:40 pm

What a retarded website.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!