The Rock Show

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
adrian9
The Rock Show

Post by adrian9 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:23 am

this topic is made to post news about the crazy world of rock, the more polemic and wierd the better.

Lady Gaga Rocks But 'Rock Sucks,' Kiss Frontman Says
'There is only one exciting artist, and her name is Lady Gaga,' Gene Simmons tells MTV News before Sunday's VMAs.

LOS ANGELES — Gene Simmons refuses to hold his tongue. On Tuesday, MTV News asked the Kiss frontman who he's most looking forward to seeing at the 2011 VMAs, and he pretty much denounced all of this year's nominees, except for one.

"There is only one exciting artist, and her name is Lady Gaga," Simmons told us when we caught up with him in Los Angeles on the red carpet celebrating the Blu-ray release of the 1983 Al Pacino classic, "Scarface." "Everybody else is exactly the same. Every rapper is the same as every other rapper; every rocker is the same as every other rocker. Uniqueness is the only important thing, and Gaga is the real thing."

The outspoken icon gave Justin Bieber his just due, though he compared him to other teen idols like 1970s sensation David Cassidy. "I mean, he's terrific, but I've seen him before," Simmons said of Bieber.

Without naming names, Simmons was pretty sour on all current musicians, contemporary rock and roll artists, in particular. "I think rock sucks at the moment. Artists look like delivery boys; they look like they could use a bath," he said. "There's no respect for the stage — the stage is holy ground. I don't care what you do. You don't have to spit fire or drool blood but when you get on that stage, you should give people bang for their buck."

It isn't just present-day rockers Simmons took issue with, however. He wouldn't validate anyone pre-1980. "From 1958 to 1980 — that's about 30 years — you can name a thousand major artists: Elvis, the Beatles, Hendrix, on and on and on. From 1980 till today, name me an artist that's going to last the test of time," he challenged us. "Good luck with that, by the way."

I almost agree with simmons on everything but the 80s were so awesome---
A9

AAAAAAAAAA

Re: The Rock Show

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:04 am

Ahh, how I miss these days... :)

<object width="420" height="345"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/I-BYzaDwNoE?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/I-BYzaDwNoE?ve ... p;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="345" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:36 pm

I loved the music of the 70s&80s! My fav radio station is an oldie channel and I listen to it quite often! :) My sons like alot of the '80s artists, too especially the harder rock and early metallers. \m/

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:08 am

what does he mean by the test of time?

from the 80s on

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_be ... ted_States

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hi ... cert_tours

i think between these two its safe to say madonna has stood the test. celine dion is another

metallica and bon jovi can be in the rock groups

Arnold Layne

Post by Arnold Layne » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:25 am

What is so gross about the highest grossing album?

Arnold Layne

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:44 pm

Arnold Layne wrote:What is so gross about the highest grossing album?

Arnold Layne
You are, Arnold. You are the highest grossing forum member. :roll:

Arnold Layne

Post by Arnold Layne » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:11 am

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
Arnold Layne wrote:What is so gross about the highest grossing album?

Arnold Layne
You are, Arnold. You are the highest grossing forum member. :roll:
I take that as a compliment. Is there a prize? :)
And can I eat it?

Arnold Layne

pneumonia

Post by pneumonia » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:47 pm

What a stupid opinion.

He should listen something else than mainstream. It is obvious that mainstream is evolving very very slowly, because producers are afraid of experiments and people like to listen the same from different bands.

He should listen to jazz, fusion, progressive rock, metal, dubstep, funk, contemporary, electronic or ambient music.

Lady Gaga is not bad, but really really nothing special and I think any who has a bit of musical sense it is another remix of pop from 90/00.

And I don't like Kiss, their each song sounds the same.

I agree that classical rock sucks, because you can't compose for infinity with the same chords, that's why rock incorporates more and more electronic and it's good!

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:49 am

let us remember that mr.simmons is a master of advertising and marketing he didnt just say his opinion he is trying to sell us something.
pnenmonia wrote:Lady Gaga is not bad, but really really nothing special and I think any who has a bit of musical sense it is another remix of pop from 90/00.

And I don't like Kiss, their each song sounds the same.

I agree that classical rock sucks...
Lady Gaga is amazing WTF are you talking about?? do you prefer britney, C.aguilera,spice girls?, at least lady gaga is a self proclaimed whore...and that girl can sing. and yeah I agree with you that she draws heavily from the 90s. specially from Madonna.

you dont like kiss you dont like rock.

Classical rock is the father of everything you hear today.

you favorite band did not create anything from the void out from the black matter in the worm hole out in another dimension of space.
fuck.

In other news.....

Ex-Deep Purple Keyboardist Jon Lord Suffering From Cancer

Former Deep Purple keyboardist Jon Lord, who was a founding member of the band, has revealed that he is suffering from cancer. Lord, 70, did not reveal what type of cancer he is afflicted with, but he did post a statement on his blog, which read as follows:

"I would like all my friends, followers, fans and fellow travelers to know that I am fighting cancer and will therefore be taking a break from performing while getting the treatment and cure.

"I shall of course be continuing to write music – in my world it just has to be part of the therapy – and I fully expect to be back in good shape next year."

We think it's just amazing that Lord is adopting that attitude –- that music is a crucial and quintessential element of his therapy. With that type of positive thinking in place, it should serve him well as he navigates his arduous journey through treatment.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the keyboardist.
A9

pneumonia

Post by pneumonia » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:29 am

Please don't say that i don't like rock, because it isn't true. I think everything that is today comes from The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Queen, Led Zeppelin, Doors, ACDC, Iron Maiden etc, but also from Genesis, Pink Floyd. I like all these bands and if you don't like of these i wouldn't say that you don't like rock.

What is so great in Lady Gaga? I don't prefer Aguilera or Bieber, Spice Girls or whoever. I mean - Lady Gaga is not a shit, but nothing really special.
I respect her for self-writing music, not only singing.

I didn't understand exactly why Simmons said that she is the only artist. In the mainstream? Not in pop because he said about rappers.

What is important that I want to say. Real music (and every musician it knows) is outside MTV. It is on session jams in small clubs, on independent radio station, in concert halls and on MTV just like on MTV Music Awards there is money. At least too much money And now it is worse than in 90/00. And a real artist can write more than one good song.

As I said I think now we see the end of classical rock and we can observe the British (motherland of rock) charts to notice it.

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:18 pm

pneumonia wrote:Please don't say that i don't like rock, because it isn't true. I think everything that is today comes from The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Queen, Led Zeppelin, Doors, ACDC, Iron Maiden etc, but also from Genesis, Pink Floyd. I like all these bands and if you don't like of these i wouldn't say that you don't like rock.

What is so great in Lady Gaga? I don't prefer Aguilera or Bieber, Spice Girls or whoever. I mean - Lady Gaga is not a shit, but nothing really special.
I respect her for self-writing music, not only singing.

I didn't understand exactly why Simmons said that she is the only artist. In the mainstream? Not in pop because he said about rappers.

What is important that I want to say. Real music (and every musician it knows) is outside MTV. It is on session jams in small clubs, on independent radio station, in concert halls and on MTV just like on MTV Music Awards there is money. At least too much money And now it is worse than in 90/00. And a real artist can write more than one good song.

As I said I think now we see the end of classical rock and we can observe the British (motherland of rock) charts to notice it.
now you are making sense, I think I misunderstood your post sorry for that. still you need to put kiss on that list of bands you mentioned...just saying.......
A9

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:25 pm

adrian9 wrote:this topic is made to post news about the crazy world of rock, the more polemic and wierd the better.

Lady Gaga Rocks But 'Rock Sucks,' Kiss Frontman Says
'There is only one exciting artist, and her name is Lady Gaga,' Gene Simmons tells MTV News before Sunday's VMAs.

LOS ANGELES — Gene Simmons refuses to hold his tongue. On Tuesday, MTV News asked the Kiss frontman who he's most looking forward to seeing at the 2011 VMAs, and he pretty much denounced all of this year's nominees, except for one.

"There is only one exciting artist, and her name is Lady Gaga," Simmons told us when we caught up with him in Los Angeles on the red carpet celebrating the Blu-ray release of the 1983 Al Pacino classic, "Scarface." "Everybody else is exactly the same. Every rapper is the same as every other rapper; every rocker is the same as every other rocker. Uniqueness is the only important thing, and Gaga is the real thing."

The outspoken icon gave Justin Bieber his just due, though he compared him to other teen idols like 1970s sensation David Cassidy. "I mean, he's terrific, but I've seen him before," Simmons said of Bieber.

Without naming names, Simmons was pretty sour on all current musicians, contemporary rock and roll artists, in particular. "I think rock sucks at the moment. Artists look like delivery boys; they look like they could use a bath," he said. "There's no respect for the stage — the stage is holy ground. I don't care what you do. You don't have to spit fire or drool blood but when you get on that stage, you should give people bang for their buck."

It isn't just present-day rockers Simmons took issue with, however. He wouldn't validate anyone pre-1980. "From 1958 to 1980 — that's about 30 years — you can name a thousand major artists: Elvis, the Beatles, Hendrix, on and on and on. From 1980 till today, name me an artist that's going to last the test of time," he challenged us. "Good luck with that, by the way."

I almost agree with simmons on everything but the 80s were so awesome---
Uhh... Gene Simmons should just shut the hell up. Let's see, a band from 1980 onwards that's stood the test of time, can I think of anything? Every word in this sentence links to a band that proves he is talking crap. Bands doing something more than putting out tired, contrived, rehashed bullshit like Kiss have for the last 20 years, bands that have stood the test of time. What planet does he live on?

And seriously, it's time to stop paying attention to Lady Gaga. She's doing nothing new, just the mainstream decided rock chic is now fashionable, and she's willing to do 'shocking' things for publicity while trying to justify them with some sort of artistic nonsense. When people get tired of her they'll move onto the next thing, as they always have done.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:53 pm

adrian9 wrote: you dont like kiss you dont like rock.
I don't like kiss and I like rock.

And I'm really sad to hear about Jon Lord... let's hope he can beat it like Jorg did!

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:03 am

NeonVomit wrote:
adrian9 wrote: you dont like kiss you dont like rock.
I don't like kiss and I like rock.

And I'm really sad to hear about Jon Lord... let's hope he can beat it like Jorg did!
sometimes I dont get it...really who could you not like kiss!? they invented stage show! and the music is awesome ...
A9

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:07 am

I dunno... some songs are ok, the rest I just find boring, and their stage show is fun to watch but sort of feels designed to cover up the fact that there's not much happening musically. But hey, that's just me!

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:13 am

whole package, not just what music they release. gene talked about the stage show. i think gaga puts together really interesting stage shows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi2KSTHbXo8 how many are coming up with stuff like this?

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:26 am

icecab21 wrote:whole package, not just what music they release. gene talked about the stage show. i think gaga puts together really interesting stage shows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi2KSTHbXo8 how many are coming up with stuff like this?
Well if a band isn't any good live, they don't tend to survive long. For the bands that last, they know what they're doing live. Each act has a stage show that fits the sort of music they play and the sort of audience they have. One of the whole reasons Nirvana, Soundgarden and the whole grunge thing came along was as a reaction to the over-the-top carnival feel that rock bands were trying to put out... it just got too much, and there was a craving for a stripped-down, more nihilistic feel and rock stars looking more like their fans. So when this came along, it went sky-high.

It would hardly make sense for Symphony X to have Kiss-sorts of things in their shows, because that's not what they're about - they're about musical excellence and not theatrics. Likewise with Moonspell - if they had a really bright show with lots of bright colours and flashing lights that would sort of ruin the mood of their music. On the other hand, watching Iron Maiden without a huge robotic Eddie and tons of pyrotechnics and stuff would feel a bit strange.

You can't just put everything into the same category. No, not many people are doing that sort of thing in their stage shows, but how many need to?

But anyway, what the hell do I know... I just go on stage dressed like a pirate (sometimes) and jump around like an idiot, so I'm not really one to talk.

Arnold Layne

Post by Arnold Layne » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:55 am

Too many words. Too many damn words for this humble Leedsman.

Arnold Layne

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:29 am

for me there is a difference between the ones who connect with their fan base and the ones that really bring interesting stage shows to the table. the band has to go with its goals and visions, but i find some of those more interesting

with nirvana, theres a example of what gene missed, or was talking about when he said they look like delivery boys that could use a bath.

it could also be just about the values that gene thinks rock should be about. kiss and poison never really went for what nirvana went for as the purpose of the music.

how much planning does winters verge put into the stage show?

Arnold Layne

Post by Arnold Layne » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:49 am

Complayne, complayne! :roll:

Arnold Layne

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:25 pm

Exactly, Nirvana were very deliberate in what they did - a rock band that went on stage not caring about appearance, because that's what audiences wanted - they'd grown tired of overproduced shows and wanted something more gritty and back-to-the-roots. Metallica did something really incredible with that in response, by releasing Garage, Inc. and then (as seen on the Cunning Stunts DVD) a stage show based on the disassembling of a metal show into a jam session at the end, meant to make Metallica, a giant of the music industry, seem like 4 guys just jamming tracks for fun (which is what it's all about, really). And it worked. To my mind, one of the best stage shows put out in recent memory.

As for us, musically a lot of preparation goes in, but every band has to do that or else they look silly on stage. Stage-show wise, we don't really do anything that spectacular. We haven't quite got the budget for giant animatronic chickens or fireworks or laser shows ;) but we occasionally use some objects like flags and apparently my pirate getup has sparked a number of debates as to whether or not we're classed as 'pirate metal'... so go figure!

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:29 am

NWISH NEWS!!!

Album and movie title change
31. August 2011

In order to avoid mix-ups with various things named "IMAGINARIUM", the title of the upcoming album and the movie will be changed to IMAGINAERUM. [/b]
A9

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:13 am

ROCK NEWS!

Former leader of mineral conglomerates and sandstones, Potassium Feldspar, was sighted in several lascivious sexual activities in the vincities of Eyjafjallajoekull's dormant crater this wednesday. Feldspar was well known for his chemical integrity and pure Lustre. Now he has become a public scandal figure. "It was horrible... I had to cover my child's ear with Talc" said Almandine, a Chalkstore owner famous on her neighbourhood. "To find out it was actually Mr Feldspar was twinning..." Indeed, several concretions of quartz in a famous magma chamber below Iceland were shocked to find out the hard way. Many composites also became extrusive when they heard the indecent screams of Corundums coming from the surface.

Potassium Feldspar, seen with carved wounds after repeated encounters with Corundum.

Corundum can take vicious shapes and ungraspable stiffness.
---...---

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:39 am

adrian9 wrote:NWISH NEWS!!!

31. August 2011

In order to avoid mix-ups with various things named "IMAGINARIUM", the title of the upcoming album and the movie will be changed to IMAGINAERUM. [/b]

...they're making a movie?

pneumonia

Post by pneumonia » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:54 am

Yes and that's why we must wait til 2012. The CD is ready now they are making movie to it.

I'm curious what it will be.

Susie

Post by Susie » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:55 pm

adrian9 wrote:NWISH NEWS!!!

31. August 2011

What a change!!!!!!!! Hahahaha :lol:

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:29 pm

it has rum in it now

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:14 pm

WILLIAM SHATNER's Version Of 'Iron Man' Featuring ZAKK WYLDE Available For Streaming - Sep. 9, 2011

Legendary actor William Shatner will release his new space-themed concept album entitled "Seeking Major Tom" on October 11 via the Los Angeles-based label Cleopatra Records. Comprised of 19 "interpretations" of classic intergalactic rock anthems, the release features guest appearances by Ritchie Blackmore (RAINBOW, DEEP PURPLE), Ian Paice (DEEP PURPLE), Zakk Wylde (BLACK LABEL SOCIETY, OZZY OSBOURNE), Carmine Appice (VANILLA FUDGE, ROD STEWART, OZZY OSBOURNE), Mike Inez (ALICE IN CHAINS) and Michael Schenker (MSG, UFO, SCORPIONS).

Of Wylde, Shatner previously said, "He's fantastic! I'm energized." Wylde was thrilled to have the opportunity to work with Shatner and added, "He's super cool, we had an awesome time working together."

"Seeking Major Tom" track listing:

Disc: 1

01. Major Tom (PETER SHILLING)

* Nick Valensi (THE STROKES) on guitar
* Zakk Wylde (BLACK LABEL SOCIETY, OZZY OSBOURNE) on guitar
* Mike Inez (ALICE IN CHAINS) on bass

02. Space Oddity (DAVID BOWIE)

* Ritchie Blackmore (DEEP PURPLE, RAINBOW) on guitar
* Alan Parsons on keyboards

03. In A Little While (U2)

* Manuel Gottsching (ASH RA TEMPEL) on guitar

04. Space Cowboy (STEVE MILLER)

* Brad Paisley on guitar and vocals

05. Space Trucking (DEEP PURPLE)

* Ian Paice (DEEP PURPLE) on drums
* Johnny Winter on guitar

06. Rocket Man (ELTON JOHN)

* Steve Hillage (GONG) on guitar

07. She Blinded Me With Science (THOMAS DOLBY)

* Bootsy Collins on bass
* Patrick Moraz (YES, MOODY BLUES) on keyboards/synthesizers

08. Walking On The Moon (THE POLICE)

* Toots (TOOTS & THE MAYTALS) on vocals

09. Spirit In The Sky (NORMAN GREENBAUM)

* Peter Frampton on guitar

10. Bohemian Rhapsody (QUEEN)

* John Wetton (ASIA) on bass and vocals

11. Silver Machine (HAWKWIND)

* Wayne Kramer (MC5) on guitar
* Carmine Appice (VANILLA FUDGE, ROD STEWART, OZZY OSBOURNE) on drums

12. Mrs. Major Tom

* Sheryl Crow on vocals

Disc: 2

01. Empty Glass (THE TEA PARTY)

* Michael Schenker (MSG, UFO, SCORPIONS) on guitar

02. Lost In The Stars (FRANK SINATRA version)

* Ernie Watts on saxophone

03. Learning to Fly (PINK FLOYD)

* Edgar Froese (TANGERINE DREAM) on guitar and keyboards

04. Mr. Spaceman (THE BYRDS)

* Dave Davies (THE KINKS) on guitar

05. Twilight Zone (GOLDEN EARRING)

* Warren Haynes (GOV'T MULE, ALLMAN BROTHERS) on guitar

06. Struggle (original track William Shatner / Adam Hamilton)

07. Iron Man (BLACK SABBATH)

* Zakk Wylde (BLACK LABEL SOCIETY, OZZY OSBOURNE) on guitar and vocals
* Mike Inez (ALICE IN CHAINS, OZZY OSBOURNE) on bass

08. Planet Earth (DURAN DURAN)

* Steve Howe (YES) on guitar

the best part?????????? the cover of course---------

I like almost all the guests in this record. can we take out shatners vocals and bring Timo K in?
A9

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:49 pm

A9

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:28 pm

'Archie Meets Kiss' Aims To Bring Together Two Pieces Of Americana For First Time - Sep. 22, 2011

According to ABC News, KISS has partnered up with Archie Comics to launch a new, four-part story called "Archie Meets Kiss". The comic will reportedly follow Gene Simmons, Paul Stanley and their band as they protect the comic's regulars from an invasion of monsters. Gene says that the illustrations will not offend the young fanbase that the comic has.

Simmons told the New York Post, "KISS is all things to all people. A five or 10-year-old fan doesn't look at the lascivating nature of my tongue the same way someone much older would — such a thing is not obvious to a five-year-old, and nor should it be."

The series launches November 30 and, in the words of writer Alex Segura of Archie Comics, "brings together two pieces of Americana for the first time.”

Jon Goldwater, CEO of Archie Comics, is a self-described "crazy KISS fan, who says, "Younger kids will enjoy the magical nature while older audiences will enjoy old rock 'n' roll."

A9