USA Credit rating AA+

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
Damien Thorn
USA Credit rating AA+

Post by Damien Thorn » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:28 pm

I was away for a few weeks, so I checked this forum to read the new topics. I was surprised to find that there were no threads about one of the most significant historical events of this year...

Well, better late than never...

The United States loses its prized triple-A credit rating

Among countries that retain the prized triple-A status are Germany, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Sweden, Finland, Austria, Canada, Singapore, Hong Kong, the United Kingdom (?) and Norway. The Chinese rating agency Dagong had already rated the USA two levels lower, at A. What does this mean? Well, in objective terms, it means that the USA should start looking at Canada for financial advice...

A key phrase from the article below:

"The downgrade could add up to 0.7 of a percentage point to Treasuries' yields over time, increasing funding costs for public debt by some $100 billion, according to SIFMA, a U.S. securities industry trade group."
(Reuters) - The United States lost its top-tier AAA credit rating from Standard & Poor's on Friday in an unprecedented blow to the world's largest economy in the wake of a political battle that took the country to the brink of default.

S&P cut the long-term U.S. credit rating by one notch to AA-plus on concerns about the government's budget deficit and rising debt burden. The action is likely to eventually raise borrowing costs for the American government, companies and consumers.

"The downgrade reflects our opinion that the fiscal consolidation plan that Congress and the Administration recently agreed to falls short of what, in our view, would be necessary to stabilize the government's medium-term debt dynamics," S&P said in a statement.

The outlook on the new U.S. credit rating is "negative," S&P said in a statement, indicating another downgrade was possible in the next 12 to 18 months.

The move reflects the deterioration in the global economic standing of the United States, which has had a AAA credit rating from S&P since 1941, and it could have implications for the U.S. dollar's reserve currency status.

"The global system must now adjust to the many implications and uncertainties of the once-unthinkable loss of America's AAA," said Mohamed El-Erian, co-chief investment officer at Pacific Investment Management Co which oversees $1.2 trillion in assets.

The decision follows a fierce political battle in Congress over cutting spending and raising taxes to reduce the government's debt burden and allow its statutory borrowing limit to be raised.

On August 2, President Barack Obama signed legislation designed to reduce the fiscal deficit by $2.1 trillion over 10 years. But that was well short of the $4 trillion in savings S&P had called for as a good "down payment" on fixing America's finances.

The political gridlock in Washington over addressing the long-term fiscal problems facing the United States came against the backdrop of slowing U.S. economic growth and led to the worst week in the U.S. stock market in two years.

The S&P 500 stock index fell 10.8 percent in the past 10 trading days on concerns that the U.S. economy may be heading into another recession and because the European debt crisis has worsened.

Treasury bonds, once indisputably seen as the safest security in the world, are now rated lower than bonds issued by countries such as Britain, Germany, France or Canada.

U.S. TREASURY QUESTIONS CALCULATION

Obama was briefed earlier in the day regarding S&P's intentions, but discussions only took place with Treasury officials and did not include the White House, a source familiar with the discussions told Reuters.

Late on Friday, the Treasury said the rating agency's debt calculations were wrong by some $2 trillion.

S&P confirmed it changed its economic assumptions after discussion with the Treasury Department but said it did not affect its decision to downgrade.

"We take our responsibilities very seriously, and if at the end of our analysis the committee concludes that a rating isn't where we believe it should be, it's our duty to make that call," David Beers, head of sovereign ratings at S&P, told Reuters.

The theme running throughout S&P's analysis is the breakdown in the ability of the Democratic and Republican parties to govern effectively.

The agency said that policymaking and political institutions had weakened in the past few months "to a degree more than we envisioned." This has major implications for the nation's budget and debt problems.

For example, S&P now assumes that tax cuts brought in under President George W. Bush in 2001 and 2003 would not, as planned, expire by 2012 because of staunch Republican opposition to any measure that would raise revenues.

The compromise reached by Republicans and Democrats this week calls for creation of a bipartisan congressional committee to find $1.5 trillion of deficit cuts by late November, beyond the $917 billion already identified.

'DAUNTING' IMPLICATIONS

While the downgrade is a blow to U.S. prestige, it was largely expected and may not have a big impact on trading of U.S. Treasuries and other assets when markets reopen in Asia on Monday.

In fact, Treasuries have rallied this week, driving the yield on the benchmark 10-year note to 2.34 percent, its lowest level in about 10 months. This reflects a belief among investors that U.S. government debt is still a safe bet at a time when prices of stocks and commodities are falling on concern about slowing global economic growth.

"To some extent, I would expect when Tokyo opens on Sunday, that we will see an initial knee-jerk sell-off (in Treasuries) followed by a rally," said Ian Lyngen, senior government bond strategist at CRT Capital Group in Stamford, Connecticut.

But the downgrade has implications for the country's financial sector, ranging from insurance companies to government-related firms such as housing financiers Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

"At least initially, the impact on the market will be negative because there will some forced liquidation of U.S. assets," said Boris Schlossberg, GFT director of currency research.

The downgrade could add up to 0.7 of a percentage point to Treasuries' yields over time, increasing funding costs for public debt by some $100 billion, according to SIFMA, a U.S. securities industry trade group.

The Federal Reserve and other bank regulators moved on Friday to reassure global markets that the downgrade would not mean that additional capital would be needed by banks and other institutions holding Treasury securities.

The Fed also said the cut would not impact the operation of its emergency lending window for banks, nor its buying and selling of Treasury securities to conduct monetary policy.

The impact of S&P's move was tempered by Moody's Investors Service's decision earlier this week confirming, for now, the U.S. Aaa rating. Fitch Ratings said it was still reviewing its AAA rating and would issue its opinion by the end of the month.

S&P's move is also likely to concern foreign creditors especially China, which holds more than $1 trillion of U.S. debt. Beijing has repeatedly urged Washington to protect its U.S. dollar investments by addressing its budget problems.

"China will be forced to consider other investments for its reserves. U.S. Treasuries aren't as safe anymore," said Li Jie, a director at the reserves research institute at the Central University of Finance and Economics.

One currency strategist, however, did not think there would be wholesale selling by foreigners.

"One of the reasons we don't really think foreign investors will start selling U.S. Treasuries aggressively is because there are still few alternatives to the Treasury market in terms of depth and liquidity," said Vassili Serebriakov, currency strategist at Wells Fargo in New York.

He said there was likely to be weakness in the U.S. dollar but a sharp sell-off was unlikely.

S&P had already placed the U.S. credit rating on review for a possible downgrade on July 14 on concerns that Congress was not adequately addressing the fiscal deficit of about $1.4 trillion this year, about 9.0 percent of gross domestic product, one of the highest since World War II.

But Obama administration officials grew increasingly frustrated with the rating agency during the debt limit debate and accused S&P of moving the goal posts in its downgrade warnings, sources familiar with talks between the administration and the agency have said.

The downgrade was immediately pounced on by candidates vying for the Republican presidential nomination. Mitt Romney said the move was "a deeply troubling indicator of our country's decline under President Obama," while Jon Huntsman said it was due to spreading of a "cancerous debt afflicting our nation."

The downgrade, 15 months before the next presidential election, and debt will be top campaign issues.

(Reporting by Walter Brandimarte and Daniel Bases; additional reporting by Burton Frierson, Chris Reese, Alexandra Alper, Jennifer Ablan, Wanfeng Zhou in New York; Matt Spetalnick, Steve Holland, Mark Felsenthal in Washington; Koh Gui Qing and Wang Lan in Beijing; Editing by Jan Paschal and Clive McKeef)
Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/ ... VF20110806
Trite
Rhetorical
Cliched
Inane

browneyedgirl

Re: USA Credit rating AA+

Post by browneyedgirl » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:28 pm

I understand this rating was given by only one organization, Standard&Poor. S&P is now under intense investigation by authorities.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:48 pm

Doesn't change anything, really.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

miditek

Post by miditek » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:53 pm

browneyedgirl wrote:I understand this rating was given by only one organization, Standard&Poor. S&P is now under intense investigation by authorities.
Of course they are under investigation. DOJ's decisions are made by AG Holder, who is little more than a party hack. During his confirmation hearings before Congress, he indicated that the mistakes that he made as a deputy AG under the Clinton administration actually made him more "qualified" for the job.

If anything, S&P should be investigated for giving AAA ratings to the mortgage-backed securities fiasco- HUD, the banks, and many others should be included as well.

What Holder is doing is simply political retaliation.
Κύριε ἐλέησον

Damien Thorn

Post by Damien Thorn » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:00 pm

browneyedgirl wrote:I understand this rating was given by only one organization, Standard&Poor. S&P is now under intense investigation by authorities.
Nope, they're not.

S&P is one of three authoritative credit rating agencies that provide objective standards for global financial risk assessment. The other two are Moody's and Fitch. These are all American companies, by the way, which might explain their lenience towards the USA's financial policies until August 5th. S&P's decision to lower the USA's credit rating was therefore a brave one, albeit long overdue. Chinese credit rating agency Dagong's assessment (A) seems more realistic, with all the recent foreclosures on mortgages of American home "owners"...

What does this mean in practice? It means that the national deficit will have to be financed at a higher interest rate. If the deficit is not financed at all, the USA faces default (bankruptcy), which is what all the political fuss until August 2nd was about. So, Obama will have to find a way to make that buck last a little longer because his magic credit card has been cancelled. The magic word after November 2012 will therefore be austerity. My advice to all Americans: start saving and stop spending with plastic. Get out of the red while you still can, and pay off those debts on your credit cards.

Cheers,

Damien
Trite
Rhetorical
Cliched
Inane

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:13 pm

If anything, S&P should be investigated for giving AAA ratings to the mortgage-backed securities fiasco- HUD, the banks, and many others should be included as well.

this is more the case. i figure ratings should go down when the risk goes so far up with nonsense policy's of private and public sectors

HoldenCaulfield

Post by HoldenCaulfield » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:21 pm

icecab21 wrote:

this is more the case. i figure ratings should go down when the risk goes so far up with nonsense policy's of private and public sectors
Life is a game, boy. Life is a game that one plays according to the rules.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:08 am

Yes, I knew there were 3 organizations in the credit rating process of USA, and of those 3 only 1, Standard&Poor gave the USA an AA+ rating. The other 2 rating organizations still gave USA a perfect AAA rating.

I think NeonVomit is right, nothing changes, really.

So, Damien, should I draw my thousands of dollars out of my account and stash it in my Sealey, and should I cut my Gold Visa card in two? What do you think Americans should do?
Thank goodness I don't owe anything---I've been pretty much a frugal cheapo most of my life anyway, so a depression would not bother me much. :roll:

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:45 am

And what can I do to reach AAAAAAAAAA rating?

That is, apart from fucking ducks of the same species :)
---...---

HoldenCaulfield

Post by HoldenCaulfield » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:29 am

Goddam money. It always ends up making you blue as hell.

Damien Thorn

Post by Damien Thorn » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:22 pm

browneyedgirl wrote:Yes, I knew there were 3 organizations in the credit rating process of USA, and of those 3 only 1, Standard&Poor gave the USA an AA+ rating. The other 2 rating organizations still gave USA a perfect AAA rating.

So, Damien, should I draw my thousands of dollars out of my account and stash it in my Sealey, and should I cut my Gold Visa card in two? What do you think Americans should do?
Thank goodness I don't owe anything---I've been pretty much a frugal cheapo most of my life anyway, so a depression would not bother me much. :roll:
Sorry for the tardy reply.

It seems you're doing fine. Just stay away from huge loans, like you are doing already, and cut that gold card in two. Paying 29% interest (2009 rate) on debt at American Express (or other vampires) is never a good idea. It's okay to spend, but be careful about borrowing. In the past, inflation was the borrower's ally, but that game is over. For good. Tell your friends.

Cheers,

Damien
Trite
Rhetorical
Cliched
Inane

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:53 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
browneyedgirl wrote:Yes, I knew there were 3 organizations in the credit rating process of USA, and of those 3 only 1, Standard&Poor gave the USA an AA+ rating. The other 2 rating organizations still gave USA a perfect AAA rating.

Sorry for the tardy reply.

It seems you're doing fine. Just stay away from huge loans, like you are doing already, and cut that gold card in two. Paying 29% interest (2009 rate) on debt at American Express (or other vampires) is never a good idea. It's okay to spend, but be careful about borrowing. In the past, inflation was the borrower's ally, but that game is over. For good. Tell your friends.

Cheers,

Damien
I have never made it a practice to borrow. If I ever wanted, a new couch or TV, for example, I'd just save up for it a couple months then pay cash. I don't use credit cards much, either. Sometimes I wonder why I even have one. My husband purchased alot of silver sometime back, and he has thought of buying some gold but I don't know about investing in that. Gold prices can go up and down like a roller coaster.
It has been said that in time bartering will make a come back like the old days, so I'm going to make sure I have enough chickens and eggs to trade for toilet paper, and soap in the future! :wink:

Oh, President Obama gave a brief but good speech last night creating better public services and jobs last night. Maybe there is hope for this country after all! :D

JensJohansson
Administrator

Post by JensJohansson » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:30 pm

miditek wrote:If anything, S&P should be investigated for giving AAA ratings to the mortgage-backed securities fiasco- HUD, the banks, and many others should be included as well.
Some countries in Europe got downgraded by ratings agencies, and the exactly same political discussion actually ensued: "who are these ratings agencies and can we allow them to influence the economy this much?". At that point this strange discussion was but a small blip on the radar in the US. :lol:

Ratings agencies should provide transparency by distilling down something incredibly complex into a few letters. If you think about it, anyone would be able to realize this process will be imperfect at best, even with a lot of research resources.

The 2008 housing bust was also somewhat a failure in rating individual lenders capacity to repay their loans correctly.

Some people always go on about markets solving every problem. And maybe markets could -- if there was perfect transparency.

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:47 pm

Meanwhile the same agency raised Israel's credit rating to A+, whatever that means ...
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

HoldenCaulfield

Post by HoldenCaulfield » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:38 am

Shurik wrote:Meanwhile the same agency raised Israel's credit rating to A+, whatever that means ...
Well, when I really worry about something, I don't just fool around. I even have to go to the bathroom when I worry about something. Only, I don't go. I'm too worried to go. I don't want to interrupt my worrying to go.

Anyway, people always think something's all true. That's the nice thing about carrousels, they always play the same songs.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:20 am

Shurik wrote:Meanwhile the same agency raised Israel's credit rating to A+, whatever that means ...
I'm not sure what it's supposed to mean. Does anyone care about this at all?

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:10 pm

NeonVomit wrote:
Well, many people in the world would love to see the USA in a bind, even temporary.

Damien Thorn

Post by Damien Thorn » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:55 pm

browneyedgirl wrote:
NeonVomit wrote:
Well, many people in the world would love to see the USA in a bind, even temporary.
Just to make one thing very clear; I am not one of these people.

I love the United States of America and the ideas and principles that it represents. However, anyone with half a brain will have to admit that the lofty ideals of this beautiful country and its founding fathers have been slightly compromised in the post-war era. Liberty and justice for all? That sounds great to me, but... how does that work in practice? The United States still have a tax regime that encourages free enterprise and private initiative, but the attitudes typically associated with Big Government (big subsidies and big interference) are becoming ever more prominent in America as well - and under such regimes some animals are typically more equal than others (I don't think I have to clarify the reference).

Well, okay...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtbksuYAZNI

President Obama has promised he will "create" jobs. Don't fall for that; it's a political trick. Creating jobs is what the soviets did, and that didn't work in the long run. In the real world, and in a healthy economy, jobs create themselves through a genuine demand for a commodity, a product or a service. I get the impression that Obama does not really perceive - let alone comprehend - what's really going on. It's imperative that the G8 (or G20) starts taking measures to ensure that banks start working the way they should: not as financial masters of the universe, but as institutions that facilitate and enable - moderated by careful risk assessment - initiative and activity in the real economy. They do not perform that function very well right now. That's the real problem, and no politician seems to be willing to address it.

Everything seems to be about money nowadays, and this is not really the case. "It" isn't really all about money. It's really about genuine accomplishments and productive ability, the development of skills and talent. Why does a good teacher earn less than a mediocre stock broker (well, up until the Autumn of 2008 at least)? A stock broker produces nothing, but the rewards in that profession were infinitely higher than those for people employed as plumbers, teachers, firemen, engineers, nurses or even dentists and doctors. Something is not entirely right with that picture, and the market (ironic, isn't it?) showed that in 2008, when Lehman Brothers found out that at the end of that line of paper contracts a very real person wasn't able to make a very real mortgage payment, which effectively rendered Lehman's CDO and ASB portfolios worthless.

I could write a lot more about all this financial stuff. I could write about demographic trends, and their effects on the current transition from an inflatory to a deflatory trend (in spite of central bankers' efforts). I could write about moral bankruptcy, credit culture and peak oil, but I'll spare you all of that. For now, just be sensible about your finances, but don't obsess about money. Develop your skills and talents instead. Live and learn, study and prosper.

Cheerio,

Damien
Trite
Rhetorical
Cliched
Inane

HoldenCaulfield

Post by HoldenCaulfield » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:52 pm

browneyedgirl wrote:
NeonVomit wrote:
Oh, sure! I like somebody to stick to the point and all. But I don't like them to stick too much to the point. I don't know. I guess I don't like it when somebody sticks to the point all the time.

Damien Thorn

Tu aussi, Sarkozy?

Post by Damien Thorn » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:26 am

... and how about France?

http://www.smh.com.au/business/world-bu ... 1mc3q.html

Cheers,

Damien
Trite
Rhetorical
Cliched
Inane

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:40 pm

Well, in a couple months thousands of guys are going to be coming home to USA looking for work, and odds are many are not going to find it. There's always school/college and training to get into, I guess.

I wish USA had those hundreds of billions of dollars thrown away on the Iraqi War back. That would help alot. :roll:

Damien Thorn

Post by Damien Thorn » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:36 pm

browneyedgirl wrote:Well, in a couple months thousands of guys are going to be coming home to USA looking for work, and odds are many are not going to find it. There's always school/college and training to get into, I guess.

I wish USA had those hundreds of billions of dollars thrown away on the Iraqi War back. That would help alot. :roll:
Exactly.

Whether it's "free money", warfare abroad or low interest rallies on Wall Street and on the housing market, Joe average will end up picking up the tab. Watch this, Browney, and you'll realize that you're doing your country a huge favour by not borrowing too much.

I know it seems odd, but did you ever realize that money is created by banks issuing debt? Well, that's the way it is. Here it goes. Tell a friend...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx16a72j__8

Cheers,

Damien
Trite
Rhetorical
Cliched
Inane

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:44 pm

Well United States is not even the biggest economy in the world. The European union is slightly bigger and China is catching us both up quite fast. I however predict that their growth will slow down dramatically in the next few years. As soon as the old gang leading the country dies it will be a whole new country.

Now of course I don't want to insult you americans but I simply wanted to say that from what I know you are not always very conscious of the other countries surrounding you. We are out here too and your country is still just one among others so keep your feet on the ground please (Well even on this strato-forum we see topics about your internal politics)

And no I am not being stereotypical because of this video :lol:

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/q566ys0sqVQ?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/q566ys0sqVQ?ve ... p;hl=fi_FI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Damien Thorn

Post by Damien Thorn » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:30 pm

Hahaha, that's a funny video...

What I find really amusing are the avoidance strategies for difficult questions and the cunning, "smart" looks when the subjects think they've said something profound. It never ceases to amaze me how dumb people truly are. However, most of them manage to get by in life. Maybe that's because they only focus on things that they are being paid for, who knows. Don't expend any calories on something that is not immediately gratifying... like geographical knowledge about the rest of the world or politics...

However, I don't think you'll find dumb-asses like these in the US exclusively. In reality, they constitute a vast majority of the electorate around the world. Hell, how do you think Bush got elected in 2000 and 2004? And why did France elect Sarkozy?

Cheerio,

Damien
Trite
Rhetorical
Cliched
Inane

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:37 pm

Yup, most people in any given country are stupid.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:54 pm

well, like I've said before any country's government whose budget pays $400 for a hammer isn't too bright. :roll: :lol: At least the accountant in charge of paying for this stuff is a bit dim. :) However, the middle man selling them this shit is making money like a bandit though! :bandit: :lol:

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:43 pm

However, I don't think you'll find dumb-asses like these in the US exclusively. In reality, they constitute a vast majority of the electorate around the world. Hell, how do you think Bush got elected in 2000 and 2004? And why did France elect Sarkozy?
Yes and mentioning Silvio Berlusconi is not even necessary. I don't know how people in other countries feel about him but in here he is a big joke.

He just said that the two most economically stable countries in the EU are Germany and Italy :?
Thats a nice guess but actually the statistics show that only two countries are below the original dept limit of the Union and even Germany is not one of them. Those two countries are Luxemburg and Finland.

Damien Thorn

Post by Damien Thorn » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:30 pm

mayhem-for-all wrote:
Yes and mentioning Silvio Berlusconi is not even necessary. I don't know how people in other countries feel about him but in here he is a big joke.

He just said that the two most economically stable countries in the EU are Germany and Italy :?
Thats a nice guess but actually the statistics show that only two countries are below the original debt limit of the Union and even Germany is not one of them. Those two countries are Luxemburg and Finland.
I agree with you that it seems odd to put Italy on par with Germany. However, Italy does have a healthy automotive industry and a solid capacity for earning money in other branches (design, clothing et cetera) as well. Italy's problem is its large national debt and either its low taxes or its excessively large bureaucratic apparatus. Take your pick, it's either fire a couple of hundreds of thousands of bureaucrats or raise taxes.

Spain is a different story altogether. What exactly does Spain produce? And how big was Spain's real estate bubble again?

Cheerio,

Damien
Trite
Rhetorical
Cliched
Inane

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:58 am

I agree with you that it seems odd to put Italy on par with Germany. However, Italy does have a healthy automotive industry and a solid capacity for earning money in other branches (design, clothing et cetera) as well. Italy's problem is its large national debt and either its low taxes or its excessively large bureaucratic apparatus. Take your pick, it's either fire a couple of hundreds of thousands of bureaucrats or raise taxes.
Well the only reason Italy's unemployment rate hasn't exploded is because of an idiotic law. In Itlay it is practically impossible to fire someone. Thats why no one gets a fulltime job in Italy nowadays. Thats why everyone is working with minumum wages and for short periods of time and the companies can keep employing people but a lot of people have already problems making a living.