Need help from someone who is Finnish!!!!!

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
warrencurrymetal
Need help from someone who is Finnish!!!!!

Post by warrencurrymetal » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:31 am

For class, I'm researching Finland's healthcare situation regarding hospitals and treatment and am looking for any personal experiences or common knowledge regarding the care or process for treating patients. This information will then inform a design for a hospital (architecture student) and hopefully be able to address any potential shortcomings or contribute something to current practice.

the assignment states we are to pick a country (cannot be United States). I chose Finland because its awesome.

Anyways, thanks for any help

Tero-75

Re: Need help from someone who is Finnish!!!!!

Post by Tero-75 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:28 pm

I'm Finnish and even have some personal experience about our health care, from both private and public health care.
My English isn't best possible but I'll try to answer your question the best way I can.

warrencurrymetal

Post by warrencurrymetal » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:27 pm

Thank you so much.

I can send PM if you prefer, but for now I'll start here.

1) What I've read so far is that Finnish healthcare needs to adapt to a changing demographic, a population that is getting older. Is this a major political issue amongst the people like it is here in the United States? Or is healthcare regarded by the people as a success story as it is by other places in the world?

2) Is healthcare equally available to immigrants, or the indigenous Sami people as it is to the Finnish citizens?

3) Is there equal access to health services amongst all income levels? or do the wealthy receive preferential treatment like in the United States?

4) Are there any healthcare policies or practices that are unique to Finland? My experience to healthcare is limited to the price-gouging practices of Western medicine.

5) Finally, what are your thoughts?

PS Thanks again for taking the time to help me. I will be sure to mention your name in my presentation (unless you prefer otherwise)

Also, I hope to see your brother continue with music as does the rest of the world.

Tero-75

Post by Tero-75 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:36 pm

First of all I have to say that we have one of the best social security systems in the world wich aims to "Provide social security benefits for all residents of Finland". You can read more about here: http://www.kela.fi/in/internet/english.nsf

Also even we of course have private hospitals, nursing homes, doctors etc. they are not significantly better compared to public health care.
The biggest benefit using private health car is in shorter waiting time in system of appointment and that they have more time per patient .
warrencurrymetal wrote:1) What I've read so far is that Finnish healthcare needs to adapt to a changing demographic, a population that is getting older. Is this a major political issue amongst the people like it is here in the United States? Or is healthcare regarded by the people as a success story as it is by other
It is true that population here is getting older. We have had labour shortage for longer time in healthcare due to not so good wages compared to work and it's importance, and the problem is biggest especially in geriatric ward. Our system tries to provide equal treatment to everyone dispite of your wealth.
Of course in public nursing homes wealthy people are billed more when social security pays the bill for those who have small incomings.
warrencurrymetal wrote:2) Is healthcare equally available to immigrants, or the indigenous Sami people as it is to the Finnish citizens?
Finnish healtcare is equally availabe to all people living in Finland permanently, also immigrants.
warrencurrymetal wrote:3) Is there equal access to health services amongst all income levels? or do the wealthy receive preferential treatment like in the United States?
When using public healthcare the treatment and access is equal to everyone inspite of your incomings. Even homeless people will get all treatment they need in public healthcare.
Of course wealthy people can use private healthcare and that way receive benefit for their wealth.
warrencurrymetal wrote:4) Are there any healthcare policies or practices that are unique to Finland? My experience to healthcare is limited to the price-gouging practices of Western medicine.
Maybe it is the equality. It doesn't matter if you are homeless or a rich CEO or even foreigner. In case of accident etc you will always receive good healthcare in public hospitals. Money and insurance issues are dealed afterwards.
warrencurrymetal wrote: 5) Finally, what are your thoughts?

I am happy to live in a country where I know I will always get good quality healthcare when needed.

warrencurrymetal

Post by warrencurrymetal » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:43 am

thanks for the help! This is an 8 week project, so if I have any further questions I will post them here. So far I like what I'm reading about Finnish health care.

warrencurrymetal

Post by warrencurrymetal » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:43 am

a few more questions,

1) are there any cultural traditions like using a sauna or other practices that contribute to the healthiness of the Finnish people?

2) How do you feel Finnish health compares to other countries?

3) Do the people have good habits i.e. hygiene, diet, or fitness? What do you think contributes to the life expectancy and healthy lives of the Finnish people?

4) are there any health concerns specific to the Finland? (There's plenty in United States!)

Thanks again

Tero-75

Post by Tero-75 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:22 pm

warrencurrymetal wrote:a few more questions,

1) are there any cultural traditions like using a sauna or other practices that contribute to the healthiness of the Finnish people?
Actually sauna doesn't have that significant contribute to healthiness. The heat expandes vains and that way effects blood circulation etc, but the most important effect is simply the clean and relaxed feeling you have after sauna.
warrencurrymetal wrote:2) How do you feel Finnish health compares to other countries?
I'd guess we are healthier than average but we also have our national problems
warrencurrymetal wrote:3) Do the people have good habits i.e. hygiene, diet, or fitness? What do you think contributes to the life expectancy and healthy lives of the Finnish people?
The over all hygiene is in good level, but diets and fitness, they come and go. There are people who excercise constantly and people who never excercise.

Maybe it's because we still live a little closer to nature, eat more basic food and our society isn't that much automatised compared to US for example.
Naturally the younger generations want more and faster etc when the older part of people are used to live more simple life.
warrencurrymetal wrote:4) are there any health concerns specific to the Finland? (There's plenty in United States!)
I don't know if their specific to Finland, but most common concerns would be:
- mental problems, especially depression
- over weight which increases orthopedic problems and cardiovascular diseases
- drug addiction, especially alcoholism
- increasing diabetes

warrencurrymetal

Post by warrencurrymetal » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:14 pm

In the lapland district, I've read about only one major hospital, the Lapland Central Hospital in Rovaniemi. I have heard this hospital serves the entire region, and people have to travel long distances for health care services. I've heard that the region is doing something called Tel Lappi to bring healthcare to all regions. This process would enable health services to be provided over a network to reach the most remote spaces.

1)are there any cities,towns, or regions in the Lapland that could use a healthcare facility?

2) is the lapland on par with the other regions of finland technologically?

Seems like the other regions of finland are adequately served.

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:42 am

2) is the lapland on par with the other regions of finland technologically?
I can answer this one to bring in some variety (Though Tero's answers have been really good)

Lapland has been having problems lately. The whole area is very sparsely populated. The current problem is that the Finnish law guarantees a minimum internet connection and a mobile phone connection. It is very difficult to fulfill in Lapland and private companies are avoiding it because it is very expensive per customer gained.

Of course people in north aren't living in the past but they have simply kept the culture of their smaller communities unchanged while the urban life in Southern Western and Central Finland has changed a lot in the last 30 years.

There has also been a lot of discussion over the living conditions of Lapland and their sources of livelihood. Foreign companies are intrested in bringing more mining industry to Lapland. So far Lapland has been depending on Reindeer's and Tourism (for example) Since it is pretty much impossible to have farms in an area where there is snow on the ground for 11 months a year. So the area has also very different kind of income. A lot of people are moving southwards because of difficulties getting employed or difficulties in employing themselves as entrepreneurs.

Of course I don't want to offend any Laplander's so I must say my observations are based on a small limited number of cases I have seen but at least looking at some interviews and TV programs that have lately been investigating the current situation in Lapland (due to the Presidental election and low voting rates up north) It kind of gives me the image of some backwater villages.

warrencurrymetal

Post by warrencurrymetal » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:27 am

Thanks to both Tero and to mayhem for the help. Upon reading more about the Lapland hospital district and the needs of the region, I've concluded the area could benefit from an updated hospital in Rovaniemi to better facilitate digital transmission of data such as imaging from the various clinics spread across the region.

warrencurrymetal

Post by warrencurrymetal » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:03 am

Thanks Mayhem and Tero for your help. Here's a couple renders of my hospital design.

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:32 am

Those patterns would fuel up any mild schizophrenia.
---...---

brought2ubyletterC

Post by brought2ubyletterC » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:10 am

I am so envious of you guys; a Finnish friend of mine tells me all the time about how well the disabled are treated in her country. Here, we rank about a notch higher than dog sh*t. :lol:

Ilsekena

Post by Ilsekena » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:21 am

AGAG wrote:Those patterns would fuel up any mild schizophrenia.
I have many questions about this. :)