New Van Halen album out now...

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
adrian9
Re: New Van Halen album out now...

Post by adrian9 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:36 am

brought2ubyletterC wrote:^Sorry, but I've heard this album and it SUCKS! Almost makes VH3 look like a g*ddamn masterpiece. :puke:

Then again, I've never liked David Lee Roth and I didn't expect to start now. :eyes

I saw "The Other Half" (Sammy Hagar and Michael Anthony) live about 5 years ago, and they should call themselves "The Better Half", because they rocked the old VH tunes like no one's business.

Honestly, I think if VH had done what a lot of bands seem to be doing these days, and released an instrumental version of this album, it would have been awesome. The music sounds pretty good, and then Dave comes in with his sh*tty vocals and ruins everything. :sick:

I liked this thread much better when it was about pooping. :lol:
I do feel the same way like 50%; is totally a clash of emontions here, because I love david lee roth, he is the epitome of what a rock star is (he did that of course in the 80s) and fuck this reunion failed one , two , too many times before, and now mike is gone. but eddie is the same guitar god he is always been, he is now on tour with a bunch of awesome gear like the EVH guitar and pedals, the new 5150 amp..for a guitarrist this shit is heaven.
we got a table with three legs im afraid to say.
I did Like the two singles, tatto and shes a woman, still not sure if buy the album.
A9

brought2ubyletterC

Post by brought2ubyletterC » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:06 am

^Well, since my opinion is not a good one to go on, as I'm not a Roth fan...put it this way, my boyfriend is one of the biggest VH fans to walk the earth, and even he thinks this new album is crap. For him to say that, to me, indicates how bad the album really is, because he pretty much loves anything that Eddie plays and he was looking forward to the Roth reunion ever since they announced they were back together in, what, '07 or '08? But yeah, I think the fact that Mikey isn't in the band anymore put a huge damper on the reunion that everyone has been waiting for.

But yeah, when my boyfriend says he'd rather listen to the new Chickenfoot album than the new Van Halen, that's when *I* know something's not right with the new VH sound, or that the album's crappiness isn't just from my own anti-Dave perspective. :lol:

Damien Thorn

Post by Damien Thorn » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:39 am

Trite
Rhetorical
Cliched
Inane

brought2ubyletterC

Post by brought2ubyletterC » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:23 am

Looks like another VH tour has been cancelled yet again due to more of Ed's health problems. Does anyone still buy tickets to this sh*t anymore?

Damien Thorn

Post by Damien Thorn » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:48 pm

brought2ubyletterC wrote:Looks like another VH tour has been cancelled yet again due to more of Ed's health problems. Does anyone still buy tickets to this sh*t anymore?
Well, I would. Have you heard Edward's guitar work on the new album? It's spot-on but loose, organic and inspiring! You can hear he enjoyed recording every note on that album. The band wasn't that great in 2007, when they did their first tour with Roth in almost a quarter of a century, but the last couple of months they've been on fire. I'm a critical fan, but I would say they're back. Let's hope Ed quickly recovers, so you all have a chance to go and see the band some time soon.

Here's one of my favourite Van Halen moments:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w12AmqQuKY

Cheers,

Damien
Trite
Rhetorical
Cliched
Inane

brought2ubyletterC

Post by brought2ubyletterC » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:47 am

I have heard the new album; I said it before, I would have rather heard it as an instrumental album, because the music sounds great. But then Dave comes along and ruins it with his sh*tty vocals. I was never a Roth fan, but you can tell age has caught up to him.

Personally, after reading Sammy's autobiography and hearing about how Michael Anthony was virtually paid wages for the majority of his years in VH, I lost any respect I had left for the Van Halen brothers.

Damien Thorn

Post by Damien Thorn » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:43 pm

brought2ubyletterC wrote:I have heard the new album; I said it before, I would have rather heard it as an instrumental album, because the music sounds great. But then Dave comes along and ruins it with his sh*tty vocals. I was never a Roth fan, but you can tell age has caught up to him.

Personally, after reading Sammy's autobiography and hearing about how Michael Anthony was virtually paid wages for the majority of his years in VH, I lost any respect I had left for the Van Halen brothers.
With all due respect, but I don't care about biographies or any of the other peripheral musings. The music should command respect, not someone's talent for pouring a decent margarita or securing copyrights for songs that were written by someone else.

I'm glad to see we agree that the music on A Different Kind of Truth is excellent. As far as Roth's vocals go, the man was never a Pavarotti of rock, but he delivers the goods on Van Halen's latest offering. Far more than a singer, Roth is a narrator. So he's at his best in songs such as "Stay Frosty" and "You and Your Blues". Give the guy a break and enjoy the show!

Cheerio,

Damien
Trite
Rhetorical
Cliched
Inane

brought2ubyletterC

Post by brought2ubyletterC » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:05 am

Well, that is a little disrespectful to Sammy, because he also has a huge catalog of decent music and is known for more than his skills at pouring alcoholic beverages. Besides, he's not the one who made the VH brothers pay Michael Anthony only 10% of the royalties. Whether I like the music or not, I think that's pretty f*cked up. If he contributed to a fourth of the music, as the songwriting credits say he did, then he should have a fourth of the money.

But the fact that Michael Anthony recently said that a lot of the new album's music are from demos that go as far back as when he was still in the band, this may be the reason why I think a lot of the music on the new album is good, because it is very reminiscent of older stuff.

miditek

Post by miditek » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:23 pm

brought2ubyletterC wrote:Well, that is a little disrespectful to Sammy, because he also has a huge catalog of decent music and is known for more than his skills at pouring alcoholic beverages. Besides, he's not the one who made the VH brothers pay Michael Anthony only 10% of the royalties. Whether I like the music or not, I think that's pretty f*cked up. If he contributed to a fourth of the music, as the songwriting credits say he did, then he should have a fourth of the money.

But the fact that Michael Anthony recently said that a lot of the new album's music are from demos that go as far back as when he was still in the band, this may be the reason why I think a lot of the music on the new album is good, because it is very reminiscent of older stuff.
I don't agree with the way that the Van Halen brothers treated Anthony either, but with an estimated net worth of $60 million, he's not exactly hurting for money either. He's also had some post-VH success with his Mad Anthony hot sauce brands, as well as his role in Chickenfoot.

The VH brothers are obviously very, very close to each other and I'm quite sure that Ed wanted to bring his son into the fold, and I would be willing to bet that Wolf gets a few points of VH royalties going forward.

One thing that I admire about Anthony is that he's dealt with this drama with class (at least publicly), and he is also a dedicated family man- still married to his high school sweetheart after all these years and is a doting father to his two daughters.
Κύριε ἐλέησον

brought2ubyletterC

Post by brought2ubyletterC » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:20 am

^This.

Yeah, I know he's not hurting for money, but I was a little surprised to hear about that, considering that most people assumed that the royalties were split 4 ways, as they are always credited as such in the songwriting credits.

But yeah, I do think that the VH reunion is less about the brothers actually wanting to tour or make new music, and more about this being a springboard for Wolfie's musical career. The kid is playing for the guy from Alterbridge right now while Ed recovers from his health problems. I kinda figured when they brought Wolfie into the band that it was to introduce him to the world and let people get to know him as a musician, so when he puts out his own stuff, he'll have a built-in audience.

My boyfriend met the entire band back on the Balance tour, and he says Michael Anthony is the coolest guy ever. He said everyone in the band was cool, actually. When he went to see them again for the Sammy reunion tour in '04, Mikey remembered him and gave him a huge cup of Jack Daniel's from the stage, saying, "this is for my buddy over there!" Awesome.

miditek

Post by miditek » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:06 am

brought2ubyletterC wrote:^This.

Yeah, I know he's not hurting for money, but I was a little surprised to hear about that, considering that most people assumed that the royalties were split 4 ways, as they are always credited as such in the songwriting credits.

But yeah, I do think that the VH reunion is less about the brothers actually wanting to tour or make new music, and more about this being a springboard for Wolfie's musical career. The kid is playing for the guy from Alterbridge right now while Ed recovers from his health problems. I kinda figured when they brought Wolfie into the band that it was to introduce him to the world and let people get to know him as a musician, so when he puts out his own stuff, he'll have a built-in audience.

My boyfriend met the entire band back on the Balance tour, and he says Michael Anthony is the coolest guy ever. He said everyone in the band was cool, actually. When he went to see them again for the Sammy reunion tour in '04, Mikey remembered him and gave him a huge cup of Jack Daniel's from the stage, saying, "this is for my buddy over there!" Awesome.
I think that Anthony actually signed away some of his royalty rights (at the VH brothers' insistence) during the 2004 tour with Hagar- it was the only way that they would allow him to come out on the road. Anthony probably did that because a) He didn't really need the money, and b) Probably knew this would be his last chance to tour with Sammy (as Van Halen), so he probably did this for himself, and for the fans. His estimated $60 million net worth isn't that far behind the VH brothers, so he did probably get his fair share prior to 2004.

Using VH to launch Wolfie's career is probably one of the VH brothers' motivations for sure, although I do think that there has been a persistent demand for a reunion from the fans for many years now. They were able to say that "they did it", primed the retirement fund pump, and got Wolfie a few publishing points in order to get him established in the business.

I also think that Ed obviously loves his son, and wanted to be able to look back and know that he and his brother were able to tour together- once they are too old to tour anymore. Any father would surely want to help his son, and also do some shows and an album. I understand where Ed (and Uncle Al) are coming from on that, even if I don't like what they did to Anthony.

I saw some tour footage and interviews with Tremonti (Creed/Alterbridge guitarist), and the hookup with Wolfie was almost by accident. His original bass player had to bow out of the tour for personal reasons at the last minute, and Wolfie happened to be in town, and had his rig with him. They rehearsed together only once, and the first show of the tour was the next evening! The live footage sounded good, and I think that it turned out to be a good thing for all parties concerned.

As far as personalities in the band go, I always liked Anthony the best. He and Sammy seemed to be a lot more down to earth than the VH brothers and David Loin Cloth! lol!! I think both versions of the band were great, regardless of Roth or Sammy, although I couldn't stomach VHIII with Cherone.

On a final note, I was in junior high when the first VH album came out, and was already fiddling with guitar and piano by then, but wanted to quit after I first heard Ed- it was unbelievable! I'd never heard anything like him before.
Κύριε ἐλέησον

brought2ubyletterC

Post by brought2ubyletterC » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:27 am

^According to Sammy's biography, Anthony was making 10% since at least the For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge days. So while he may have gotten an even 4-way split in the beginning, by the time Sammy came onto the scene it was clear that this wasn't the case anymore. In fact, another thing he mentions in his book is that he and Alex both gave up a part of their percentage so that Anthony's could be higher. This was also the case for the '04 tour as well, though he doesn't say exactly what the percentage was at that time, or how much of their cut they gave up.

Yeah, I got to meet Sammy briefly back in the late '90s and he was cool as hell. I always hear about how nice Mikey is too. I always got the vibe from the VH brothers that they are total dicks and very much their own clique, if you know what I mean. But I have heard from many people that they are nice, so who knows? I guess they know where their bread is buttered and are smart enough to not be outward dicks in front of their fans. Although I personally don't feel they seem to have a lot of respect for their fans.

I am definitely not a Roth fan; I liked the Van Hagar era a lot better and think Balance was one of their best works. I realize I will probably get burned at the stake for saying it, but I really don't care. I think Dave is way overrated, and Sammy brought that band to maturity. It goes to show on the new album; lyrically they haven't evolved at all since '84 and it just sounds creepy now to hear all that booze-chicks sh*t from guys their age. Gotta grow up sometime.

LOL, I was born the year the first VH album was released, so I don't know of a world that existed without them in it. :lol: I can only imagine how hearing them for the first time blew a lot of people away, though.