The song that introduced you to power metal.

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
Octavius2250
The song that introduced you to power metal.

Post by Octavius2250 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:51 am

What was the song that introduced you to the power metal genre, if you can even remember what it was? For me, it was "Emerald Sword" by Rhapsody of Fire. About seven years ago, during my freshman year of high school, I was looking at a friend's MySpace profile (this was in ancient pre-Facebook times) and heard THE MOST AWESOME SONG that I had listened to up that point in my life. At first, I thought the lyrics were in a foreign language, but after figuring out that the song was called "Emerald Sword," I found out the lyrics were actually in English! I also found out that the band, then known simply as Rhapsody, belonged to a genre called "power metal." Throughout the past seven years, I discovered many other power metal bands.

During 10th and 11th grade, my interest in power metal waned, but it came back with a vengeance late in 11th grade and during 12th grade. By the end of high school, I had discovered bands such as DragonForce, Kamelot, Angra, Edguy/Aventasia, and Blind Guardian. Oddly enough, I did not discover Helloween and Stratovarius until my freshman year of college. Although I was vaguely aware of the name "Sonata Arctica" for years, I did not truly discover them until my sophomore year of college.

Stratowarius

Re: The song that introduced you to power metal.

Post by Stratowarius » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:00 am

For me it was Jens J. I heard his records with Malmsteen and was sold. I don't know if you call those records Power Metal, but they were really powerful. To me! And still are! :D :D

Beast_Pete

Post by Beast_Pete » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:49 pm

Stratovarius - Destiny

Love at first sight... or listen. :)
"Mikor az utolsó véred is elfolyék,
S a tested is a porba hullék,
Akkor is van még remény,
Mert a lelked továbbra is él."

- Mark Swanson -
from the book, Nick's legend

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:13 pm

Probably Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin in the early to mid-70s. Stairway to Heaven, Ironman, Paranoid were some of my favs during that period.

I'm old, folks. :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

joteke

Post by joteke » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:01 pm

Strato's 4th Dimension album...the song that kicked my ass was 'Distant Skies'...I remember hearing it first time while sitting in a friend's car somewhere on spring winter -95 ... and I was drunk, naturally.

Ilsekena

Post by Ilsekena » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:27 pm

Emm.. Blind guardian I guess.. Which song? Huh, i don't remember at all! I was a little kid..

mocobhc

Post by mocobhc » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:43 pm

Ilsekena wrote:Emm.. Blind guardian I guess.. Which song? Huh, i don't remember at all! I was a little kid..
That could have been my answer as well :lol: The first 19 years of my life I listened to pretty much nothing but Héroes Del Silencio and some rock/pop stuff, but then my bf played the Nightfall In Middle Earth album for the first time... :luv1:

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:01 pm

browneyedgirl wrote:Probably Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin in the early to mid-70s. Stairway to Heaven, Ironman, Paranoid were some of my favs during that period.

I'm old, folks. :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)
Re-read the thread title.

Angra - Nothing to Say for me.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:20 pm

Something from Stratovarius, SOS I think ...
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

brought2ubyletterC

Post by brought2ubyletterC » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:42 pm

^Shurik!!! Long time, no see!!! Image

I didn't know power metal was a genre until a long time after I started listening to it, so I can't say for sure which the first song was. Technically, it was most likely Dio, but I've been listening to Dio since I was a kid so I certainly can't remember the first song of his I ever heard. So I'm gonna give the credit to Strato, since they're the first band I ever heard the term "power metal" being applied to. And the first song I heard of theirs was "4000 Rainy Nights", back when Destiny first came out.

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:56 pm

I think...I was into metallica big time, and some guy from high school got a a "brand new" cd from stratovarius called 4th dimension (later I learned that the album was released the year before but for south america late 90s standart that album came here really quick we are talkin 96 or some..i was 13)
A9

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:46 am

I guess it was Wolf & Raven by Sonata Arctica.

Krigo

Post by Krigo » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:16 pm

Thinking back to it, the first power metal song I actually loved was Paid in Full by Sonata Arctica and Hunting High and Low by Stratovarius.

My brother had listened to power metal bands for years, I asked him for music suggestions one day though and I feel like that is the day that I truly got into power metal. :)

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:24 pm

Well, if we are discussing strictly Power Metal, I guess it would be Queensryche in the early '80s.

But I enjoyed Megadeth, and Metallica during that time, also and they were catagorized as thrash metal bands.

My sons were the ones who started me on folks like Blind Guardian, Hammerfall, Kamelot, Nightwish, etc. My oldest son, Jason, liked Judas Priest, Dio, and Malmsteen. Then, my youngest son, Vic leaned toward the Death Metal groups like Death, Opeth, and Dark Tranquility. Our whole family enjoys Children of Bodom, too.

We are a Multi-Metal family, I guess you could say. :)
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

brought2ubyletterC

Post by brought2ubyletterC » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:07 am

See, I'm on the fence about that, because Queensryche is clearly a cross between power and prog metal, but they are more often than not deemed as prog metal. So that's why I gave the credit to Strato because they are the first band I can remember being referred to as "power metal". But this was back when the phrase "power metal" was first being coined so it was only attributed to a handful of bands at the time.

But if we're counting Queensryche as power metal, then they were definitely one of the first, if not the first power metal band I ever heard. One of my all-time favorite bands up until '97, that's for sure!

That is so great that your whole family loves metal! "The family that headbangs together, stays together!" :lol:

I'm the only metalhead in my family. My youngest sister was into Sepultura for a minute, but it didn't last. :(

doc_holliday

Post by doc_holliday » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:02 pm

black diamond

Octavius2250

Post by Octavius2250 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:43 pm

brought2ubyletterC wrote:I'm the only metalhead in my family. My youngest sister was into Sepultura for a minute, but it didn't last. :(
I think I'm the only the metalhead in my family as well. I have a younger cousin that I was hoping would follow in my footsteps, but he ended up getting into hip-hop instead.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:11 pm

I was acquainted with Dragonforce's Fury of the Storm from a friend big into DDR-style computer games, however when I got introduced to Stratovarius (Find your own voice and Abyss of Your Eyes were my first two songs), I don't think I really made the connection in my head of them being the same genre.
They let us have signatures on this forum???

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:44 am

here is your power metal...
I think the concept of power metal is very different in the US to South A. and Europe.
A9

brought2ubyletterC

Post by brought2ubyletterC » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:05 am

I think I'm the only the metalhead in my family as well. I have a younger cousin that I was hoping would follow in my footsteps, but he ended up getting into hip-hop instead.
We'll adopt each other so we aren't alone in our metaldom. :lol:

Damien Thorn

Post by Damien Thorn » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:33 am

To be honest...

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WmP4iTGY97Y?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WmP4iTGY97Y?ve ... p;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Cheerio,

Damien
Trite
Rhetorical
Cliched
Inane

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:32 am

Some guys at elementary school played Strato's Black Diamond and I think it was Legions.

HinatAArcticA

Post by HinatAArcticA » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:50 am

I was 8 years old and my cousin was playing a Nintendo 64 game...

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CbJb4a-sDU0?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CbJb4a-sDU0?ve ... p;hl=es_MX" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
No need to feel so afraid, colors last a lifetime and fade to gray...
Tony Kakko

Inventariado

Post by Inventariado » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:28 pm

Destiny (Stratovarius)

Carry on (Angra)

I was 14 or something and that took me out from listening movie soundtracks and melodic stuff mostly
Mariano

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:46 pm

Angra: Carry On
If irony were made of strawberries, we'd all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now.

TwilightEagle

Post by TwilightEagle » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:55 pm

I remember that it was Eagleheart.

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:08 am

HinatAArcticA wrote:I was 8 years old and my cousin was playing a Nintendo 64 game...

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CbJb4a-sDU0?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CbJb4a-sDU0?ve ... p;hl=es_MX" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
:P Fuckin love F-Zero

Rhapsody's Land of Immortals did it for me.

Empathica1928

Post by Empathica1928 » Fri May 04, 2012 4:07 pm

I think it was Stratovarius's Black Diamond, actually. At first I heard it and was like 'what the fuck is this?' @ the harpsichord, and the song didn't do much for me, but then I came back to it a little later and it clicked.

Or maybe it was Blind Guardian's The Script For My Requiem.

One of those two, they were pretty much heard in the same sitting, so yeah.

Kmasters

Post by Kmasters » Sat May 05, 2012 6:05 am

To me Got to b this one

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_9h3jRaZyB4?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_9h3jRaZyB4?ve ... &amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

yuthea

Post by yuthea » Mon May 14, 2012 11:56 am

master of the rings-HELLOWEEN its did 4me..