Arjen Anthony Lucassen's Lost In The New Real.

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
rikkertje
Arjen Anthony Lucassen's Lost In The New Real.

Post by rikkertje » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:22 pm

After Ayreon, Ambeon, Star One, Guilt Machine etc. A. A. Lucassen finally puts out another solo album. I heard it yesterday and love it!

Anyone else here heard it/planning to listen?

Mormegil

Re: Arjen Anthony Lucassen's Lost In The New Real.

Post by Mormegil » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:51 pm

I really liked the first Star One and some Ayreon releases, so I'll definitely give this one chance.

Balu

Post by Balu » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:30 pm

I'll listen to this very soon, I love Arjen's music. :>

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:31 pm

Will check this one out.
I hope its as good as "Guilt Machine"! :)

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:06 am

le link to songs pl0x XD XD

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:51 am

NeverendingAbyss wrote:le link to songs pl0x XD XD
I think its time for somebody to PLEDGE!

Consider getting 3 super-deluxe boxes, in case you lose two. :)

JensJohansson
Administrator

Post by JensJohansson » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:33 am

rikkertje wrote:After Ayreon, Ambeon, Star One, Guilt Machine etc. A. A. Lucassen finally puts out another solo album. I heard it yesterday and love it!

Sounds very intersting actually.

( Someone should make a movie from the idea, but not involve Sylvester Stallone in any way. )

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2 ... -old-beast

rikkertje

Post by rikkertje » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:42 pm

I've heard it a few times now and absolutely love it.
Every song is a slightly different genre (there's metal, old hard rock, folky stuff, power pop as Arjen calls it, and of course the epic stuff we all know Arjen rocks in), but still the album flows as a whole.

Another good point is the fact that it is really refreshing to hear Arjen sing a whole album. There's one backing vocalist (a very, very good one btw) and that's it.

Narration is done by a very famous Dutch actor called Rutger Hauer. His mysterious voice draws the attention right away.

My advice: LISTEN, BUY, ENJOY.

Star_Ocean

Post by Star_Ocean » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:29 am

JensJohansson wrote:
rikkertje wrote:After Ayreon, Ambeon, Star One, Guilt Machine etc. A. A. Lucassen finally puts out another solo album. I heard it yesterday and love it!

Sounds very intersting actually.

( Someone should make a movie from the idea, but not involve Sylvester Stallone in any way. )

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2 ... -old-beast
Fuck you, Sylvester Stallone is a God among mere mortals. Your jealousy of his Oscar nominations is palpable, as you sit making your $5 an hour wanking at a keyboard all day, playing the same three songs.

Jens just cannot comprehend the shear vastness of Stallone's talent, ranging from the wholeness and sentimentality of "Rocky", to the country-inspired hilarity of "Rhinestone." And who can forget the inspiring mother-son relationship in the "Stop Or My Mom Will Shoot."

As Stallone belts out his beautiful voice in the song Drinkenstein, he speaks of a simpler time of booze and good times. But there's a deeper sadness there, lying behind the goofy hat and Elvis-styled pants. It is that of sadness, and the follies that come with it. On the surface, "Rhinestone" is a comedy. But deeper down, you will find a meaningful character study of an out-of-luck man and his relationship with rural society.

Still not his best feature film, but one that shows his vast talents and wide range of vocal abilities. When Stallone sings "Budweiser you created a monster," you feel for the newly formed alcoholic, and root for him to overcome his problems. And when he finally does, a palpable sense of satisfaction permeates throughout your mind. You have been given the graces of God, in the form of "Rhinestone."

rikkertje

Post by rikkertje » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:32 am

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hVJSvW80CyU?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hVJSvW80CyU?ve ... p;hl=nl_NL" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

The album trailer.

Ilsekena

Post by Ilsekena » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:45 pm

Why can't I see the aliens in there? :cry:

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:35 pm

Arjen simply is one of the most amazing musicians alive (no offense Jens you would rank pretty high in that list as well)
I haven't bought it yet since I am still working on improving my collection by finding some special editions of his other works for a decent price.

And then there have been so many amazing bands I have gotten into lately (Marillion, Spock's Beard and Beardfish)

Krigo

Post by Krigo » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:51 pm

Just had a listen at a couple of songs and here's two of my favourites:
<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qeG6sb6jF_M?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qeG6sb6jF_M?ve ... p;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

and the cover of Welcome To The Machine:
<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uNadmu_HOSg?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uNadmu_HOSg?ve ... p;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:23 am

It sounds really nice!
---...---

Balu

Post by Balu » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:25 am

After a few listens, I must say that the album is great, pretty much what I expected.

@mayhem-for-all: Yeah, he is pretty high on my list too (if I had to rank current musicians, both he and Jens would be in the top5). And it seems like you really got into neo-prog, am I right?:&#272;

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:08 am

there is buckethead in a catagory of his own, then there is arjen and jens in the catagory of people with jen in their name who are great musicians.

Krigo

Post by Krigo » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:57 am

Honestly, I thank rikkertje and Jens a lot for this thread! I have never really been too interested in Aryeon, but I'm absolutely loving what I've heard of this album! I'm going to have to buy it for when it comes out in the US!

Seriously guys, you've opened me up to something I never would have listened to otherwise :)

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:01 am

I say the same! God bless stratoforum. :facial: :facial:
---...---

Ilsekena

Post by Ilsekena » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:57 pm

Krigo wrote: Seriously guys, you've opened me up to something I never would have listened to otherwise :)
Try listening to EBM

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Tue May 01, 2012 3:01 pm

And it seems like you really got into neo-prog, am I right?:&#272;
Well progressive music in general has become a big thing for me over the last few years.
And my collection keeps expanding and expanding...

Balu

Post by Balu » Tue May 01, 2012 4:19 pm

mayhem-for-all wrote:
Well progressive music in general has become a big thing for me over the last few years.
Good to hear! I'm a huge fan of prog, so would you mind tossing a few favorites my way?:>

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Wed May 02, 2012 5:07 pm

Balu wrote:
mayhem-for-all wrote:
Good to hear! I'm a huge fan of prog, so would you mind tossing a few favorites my way?:>
Well I am still learning the basics (even after all these years) so just some big names.

It's nice to start close so I might mention that Jens and Lauri have made amazing proggy solo-albums.
Rush and Yes are amazing classics. Rush actually quickly became one of my biggest favorites and I just love each and every one of their styles. 70s was great 80s wasn't any worse and even today they don't show signs of slowing down on quality.
My Yes collection isn't very big yet but what I have is very good. Close to the Edge is a masterpiece that is difficult to digest but once you get it it's great stuff.

Like I already mentioned Marillion, Spock's Beard, Beardfish and Fates Warning have great music that I am getting into and all of Arjens projects (Mostly Ayreon and Star One but I am also hunting the records of his other projects) are amazing (Into the Electric Caste might be the most magical album of all times)

Then there are the ProgMetal Giants Dream Theater, Symphony X and all the side-projects of theirs.
Jordan Rudess for example has some amazing solo albums that are something you would never expect from him after listening to his playing in DT. I really enjoy the album he made with JP (Evening With Jordan Rudess and John Petrucci) a really nice and calm peace of instrumental flow of melodies. Derek Sherinian has also made some great albums. Mythology for example is definately wirth checking out. I am currently looking for his other projects like Planet X as well but don't know if they are good (I do expect them to be)
Liquid Tension Experiment is also great. I am currently looking for their albums.

Then there is Kevin Moore with his hard-to-find Chroma Key albums. His OSI albums are easier to find and also sound great. I just love the dark atmosphere and I have also learned to like his vocals.

as for some old Finnish prog bands from 70s like WigWam fro example are worth checking. If you are looking for instrumental prog with Jazz influences then check out Pekka Pohjola (The Guy Zappa wanted to work with and to who Lauri Porra has been compared to)

Some new Progressive Metal bands from Finland are also making some great music so I suggest you check out Status Minor and Adamantra. SM made an amazing debut album and just a couple of weeks ago released their second album. The debut album called Dialog was one of the best albums of 2009.
Adamantra also released their debut album a couple of years ago and are currently preparing their next album. The new songs sound like they would from another planet however. They also switched their vocalist who was propably the weakest part of the band. The album Revival was a slight disappointment considering how good they sounded on their first EP but was nonetheless a really solid album with crazy instrumental parts and familiar names like Mikko Sepponen (Drums, also known from bands like Olympos Mons) and Risto Kupiainen (yes the brother of Matias)

I really have to finish up this post but I have no time right now so I will post it now and correct and improve it later.[/b]

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Mon May 07, 2012 2:46 pm

So Definate additions to those few are Porcupine Tree (I am still getting introduced to it but so far it has been really good but quite different)

Transatlantic has also been a huge positive surprise. It is simply some of the best Progressive music I have ever heard. The Whirld Tour live album is especially nice (I just love it when Mike Portnoy says that: "we have played for almost two hours but we have only played two songs so far. It looks like it's going to be a long evening")

I just listened to some songs by a band called Haken and while the first one I heard didn't intrest me the second one (Eternal Rain) was amazing. Damn it how can I have time to listen to all these bands and how can I afford to buy all their albums? Well I guess I will have to keep doing it like I have done so far and wait for sales and hunt for discounts.

I have also heard good things about bands like Myrath, Riverside and Anubis Gate even though I am not familiar with their music at all (but they are on my to check list)

Oh and then there is Journey. I have one Best of record of their (Got it for 1€). When I got my hands on it I realised it was of their poppier mainstream times but it was still pretty good. Nice musicianship and good vocals. Still I should gte some of their earlier creations which are a lot more progressive. Kansas is another old classic I am trying to get to know. I once heard a really good Kansas song but everything else I have heard from them after that hasn't impressed me.

Seventh Wonder is also one of the bands I am trying to get into but so far I haven't had the time to listen to enough of their music to buy any of their albums.

Then there are dozens of power metal bands with prog influences (Excalion, Royal Hunt, Pagan's Mind...) I might add that I have always thought that Stratovarius is not just Power Metal. It has always been very progressive. For example Fourth Dimension could easily be introduced as a Prog-album.[/b]

Krigo

Post by Krigo » Wed May 09, 2012 6:58 am

mayhem-for-all: On the subject of Journey I would recommend checking out their most recent album: Eclipse

It was easily one of the best albums of last year for me, was up there with Elysium, Age of the Joker and A Dramatic Turn of Events. :)

rikkertje

Post by rikkertje » Wed May 09, 2012 11:16 am

So. Who has heard Arjen's Lost In The New Real? And what's your opinion about it.

Jens, you seemed to be interested. Did you hear the album already?

Rage1979

Post by Rage1979 » Wed May 23, 2012 4:40 pm

rikkertje wrote:So. Who has heard Arjen's Lost In The New Real? And what's your opinion about it.

Jens, you seemed to be interested. Did you hear the album already?
Fucking awsome! very strange music but not to strange to me :)

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:04 am

rikkertje wrote:So. Who has heard Arjen's Lost In The New Real? And what's your opinion about it.
I heard it a few weeks ago and I loved it. Arjen is extremely talented and this is as good as any of his other works, though in a very different way. Songs are short and simple... like an amish man with a pituitary gland disorder. But without missing anything really, they just get straight to the point.

I also highly recommend Guilt Machine, which was a true progressive masterpiece. :)

rikkertje

Post by rikkertje » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:13 pm

@mayhem-for-all

You should really expand your Yes collection. I have all their albums and've seen 'em live twice.

Tales From Topographic Oceans, Fragile and Going For The One are masterpieces.

Rage1979

Post by Rage1979 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:58 am

I reslly love this album and Star one

But now I am waiting for a new Ayreon

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:16 am

I never dig Ayreon too much so I guess im gonna be the last to discover arjen awesomeness, something just doesnt appeal to me, I might be taking sides when comes to music rivalry, I like metallica never megadeth and i like avantasia never Ayreon, I know is stupid... :oops:
A9