Ancestry and origins

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
NeonVomit
Ancestry and origins

Post by NeonVomit » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:26 pm

So we're all a mixed bunch.

What genetic and cultural makeup are you?

I'm half Greek Cypriot, with Colombian, German-Jewish, and Spanish bits on my other side. I can't speak either Hebrew or Catalan, and I can like order a beer and ask where the bathroom is in German.

Religion, was raised Greek Orthodox but now the closest thing I have to a religion is football and loud guitars.

What are y'all made up of?
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

RazielSR

Re: Ancestry and origins

Post by RazielSR » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:45 pm

Spanish. Father and mother spaniards, my grandfather and grandmother spaniards, great-grandparents spaniards...

My "religion"? Catholic, I was baptized, communion and all the typical Latin Roman Church traditions...but I don't believe in any religion, and I really disagree with Catholic Church or others.
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:22 pm

No idea really, inbred Finnish as far as I know. Like most Finns, I was baptised into Evangelical Lutheran Church Of Finland, but at a pretty young age started realising I didn't have much faith in any kind of deity.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:27 pm

O'boy, here we go..........On my Dad's side I am Scottish, Irish, and Russian. My Mom's, English, and Irish with Native American. No wonder I am so fucked up :lol: I have physical traits from all these peoples, nothing really defines me but I guess I can blame the "melting pot" for that. :) I've had people all of my life tell me it was obvious my Dad had Russian blood somewhere down the line, and my Mother's side I swear has the biggest proportion of "Irish" redheads I've ever seen! :lol:

As far as religion goes, I am a Church of Christ(although I don't really claim anything right now-I have not went to church since 1989), but my Dad's family was Catholic, and it's obvious. I mean, nevermind. :roll: Let's just say their conservative crap bit my ass all of my life. :lol:
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:55 pm

Uhhh...

Well I have Spanish blood in me. Not much is known. Somehow I look like an arab more than a Latin American. Maybe I have ancestry that dates back to the Moors occupying Andalucia.

Either way, people confuse me from the middle east to being Spaniard. I wasn't born in any of those places. :oops:

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:28 pm

NeverendingAbyss wrote:Uhhh...

Well I have Spanish blood in me. Not much is known. Somehow I look like an arab more than a Latin American. Maybe I have ancestry that dates back to the Moors occupying Andalucia.

Either way, people confuse me from the middle east to being Spaniard. I wasn't born in any of those places. :oops:
It is really difficult that you have ancestors from "moriscos" or "mozarabs", cause 99% of them were killed in La Reconquista and later, no arab from Andalucía mixed with an spaniard from the Kingdom travelled to South America.

There are some descendants living in Morocco, Ceuta, Melilla, Gibraltar etc, etc.

But well, who knows.
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

thefreeone

Post by thefreeone » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:32 pm

NeverendingAbyss wrote:Uhhh...

I have Spanish blood in me too, i dont look like the usual latin american guy (Im whiter than 98% of ecuadorians), i know i have some English heritage, and lots of people have told that i look a lot like the prototype of any european jew.

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:14 am

Doctors tell me I am the proof that conception can come from buttfucking.

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:21 am

Greek, Ukrainian, Polish. Was raised on Televangelism and now I'm a Scientologist.

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:17 pm

well, Venezuelan as you already know, as far as i can trace back my origins my great grandmother had some spanish blood and my great grandfather was black, i guess slave descendant, im not sure, and from my father side is pretty much the same thing...i guess.

religion-wise, im a catholic but here we got our own catholicism i dont go to church every sunday nor pray, but i go to some celebrations in december and other random dates all over the year.
A9

Lurdi

Post by Lurdi » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:52 pm

I am, to the best of my knowledge, 100% Spanish.
My second surname is not of Spanish origin but a german one I think (it took me a really long time to find it out), it can only be found in the valencian region and very few people have it, so if there is any German ancestor in my family, it has to be someone from a past generation, as nobody knows the existance of someone German in our family.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:02 pm

Tried posting this on FB, but since I am a moron it doesn't seem to be coming up right. Anyhow, I want some input as to how... 'accurate' this is.

"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:07 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: I love Polandball.

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:43 pm

NeonVomit wrote:Tried posting this on FB, but since I am a moron it doesn't seem to be coming up right. Anyhow, I want some input as to how... 'accurate' this is.
Well Danish, Swedish and Norwegian languages are quite close and they have similar genetic background. Finland is a different kind of mix. Finland has however been closely co-operating with the other nordic countries since the 1930. And as I said in the other topic Finland is not a Scandinavian country. (Scandinavia refers to the Scandinavian peninsula and the moutain range known as Scands and the countries Sweden, Norway and Denmark). The Nordic countries are however Finland, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Iceland and the non-independent Iceland, Greenland and Faroese Islands.

Finland in this particular case greets others by saying: Perkele (you all should know what that means), then says Simo Häyhä ( a famous Finnish sniper in the second world war (Sabaton wrote the song White Death about Häyhä))
When Denmark asks Finland to tell about himself Finland replies in a rude manner and when asked about exports Finland answers "Depression and Sauna, you dickface" (Depression is very common in Finland and Sauna is a Finnish invention)

This funny little story doesn't actually deal with relations between the countries but instead it manages to express the cultural differences between Finland and the Nordic countries quite well.

In Finland the stereotype about Sweden is that they are all some damn lucky bastards who always win in sports by luck and that they are cheerful gay people.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw3e64sosEg
(unable to embed but this one tells everything)

In Sweden people stereotypically think of Finns as alcoholic depressed and second class citizens who are violent and improper.

+ Finns are usually a bit introverted while Swedes are often thought as extroverted.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:57 pm

Lurdi wrote:I am, to the best of my knowledge, 100% Spanish.
My second surname is not of Spanish origin but a german one I think (it took me a really long time to find it out), it can only be found in the valencian region and very few people have it, so if there is any German ancestor in my family, it has to be someone from a past generation, as nobody knows the existance of someone German in our family.
My maiden name is also quite rare, and it took some research to discover it was of Scottish origin, but actually my distant ancestors migrated to Scotland about 800-900AD as vikings. Vikings from what country, I don't know and cannot find out. I know there's some Russia in the mix but I think it came from one of my Great-great-great-grandmothers on my Father's side back toward the late medieval period.
Yes, I'm a "mongrel" for sure. :lol: No pure blood from either side. WAS-Catholic all the way. :D

Oh, Native Americans actually migrated to North America from Siberia, at least that's the theory.

Where did Finns originate from, at the very very beginning? Isn't there a theory they migrated from Siberia, too? ???
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:37 pm

mayhem-for-all wrote:
NeonVomit wrote:Tried posting this on FB, but since I am a moron it doesn't seem to be coming up right. Anyhow, I want some input as to how... 'accurate' this is.
Well Danish, Swedish and Norwegian languages are quite close and they have similar genetic background. Finland is a different kind of mix. Finland has however been closely co-operating with the other nordic countries since the 1930. And as I said in the other topic Finland is not a Scandinavian country. (Scandinavia refers to the Scandinavian peninsula and the moutain range known as Scands and the countries Sweden, Norway and Denmark). The Nordic countries are however Finland, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Iceland and the non-independent Iceland, Greenland and Faroese Islands.

Finland in this particular case greets others by saying: Perkele (you all should know what that means), then says Simo Häyhä ( a famous Finnish sniper in the second world war (Sabaton wrote the song White Death about Häyhä))
When Denmark asks Finland to tell about himself Finland replies in a rude manner and when asked about exports Finland answers "Depression and Sauna, you dickface" (Depression is very common in Finland and Sauna is a Finnish invention)

This funny little story doesn't actually deal with relations between the countries but instead it manages to express the cultural differences between Finland and the Nordic countries quite well.

In Finland the stereotype about Sweden is that they are all some damn lucky bastards who always win in sports by luck and that they are cheerful gay people.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw3e64sosEg
(unable to embed but this one tells everything)

In Sweden people stereotypically think of Finns as alcoholic depressed and second class citizens who are violent and improper.

+ Finns are usually a bit introverted while Swedes are often thought as extroverted.
this is the kind of info you dont get in books or wikipedia. cool!
A9

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:22 pm

Both my parents are Jewish and their families come from Eastern Europe (mother's family is from Byelorussia and father's is from Ukraine). My last name sounds Polish, but that's probably because someone along the way changed it from something Jewish, a common practice after the Bolshevik Revolution.
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

Plisken

Post by Plisken » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:49 am

Both Parents are Palestinian. My dad was a 2nd generation Palestine, his grand parents moved to Palestine from Bulgaria. Thats as far as that side of the family knows about its history of where its from. My mom side has been in Palestine as far back as they know. A mix of Jewish and Arab throughout the generations. They also were in Jaffa (Yafo) as far back as they know until the "mass flight from Jaffa" where most of them went to Jordan, some to Tel Aviv, some to Haifa. (Back then families were huge >.>)

And now im a 1st generation born american! Pretty happy to be one too, even though dont agree with our foreign policy(among other things), its still a much better place to live then Palestine, Jordan or Bulgaria. And im happy my parents felt the same way too!

I should do one of those DNA test to find out my true Ancestry and origin as far back as DNA can go. Would be interesting.

Oh and im atheist. Have been for as long as I can remember really.