What bands / albums do you recommend?

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
mocobhc
Re: What bands / albums do you recommend?

Post by mocobhc » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:36 pm

robocop wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:35 pm
Btw, does anybody remember NeonVomit and his band Winter’s Verge? They have a new album coming out. I’m not going to post it so it doesn’t make the A’s bonerman mad. :wink:
Yeah I agree, their stuff is pretty good, I bought the albums and a few songs are in my regular playlist. Looking forward to the new one.

In case any of you are open for non-metal stuff, I'd recommend this:

and some heavier stuff:

and of course this:

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:05 pm

robocop wrote:
A10 doesn’t want videos. :(
[...]
I’m not going to post it so it doesn’t make the A’s bonerman mad. :wink:
I didn't say I don't want videos. In general, I want other people's threads to devolve into bullshit, but not my own. :lol:

You and Flavio are the recidivists :)

robocop

Post by robocop » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:16 pm

mocobhc wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:36 pm
robocop wrote:
Btw, does anybody remember NeonVomit and his band Winter’s Verge? They have a new album coming out. I’m not going to post it so it doesn’t make the A’s bonerman mad. :wink:
Yeah I agree, their stuff is pretty good, I bought the albums and a few songs are in my regular playlist. Looking forward to the new one.
Are you the one with the Polarismobile? :wink:

mocobhc

Post by mocobhc » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:29 pm

robocop wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:16 pm
mocobhc wrote:
robocop wrote:
:lol: no, but I know the guy who owns it. As far as I know it's a cubical Ex-Polarismobile since a few years, probably spending its time somewhere deep in an unknown junkyard.

robocop

Post by robocop » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:20 pm

mocobhc wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:29 pm
robocop wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:16 pm
mocobhc wrote:

:lol: no, but I know the guy who owns it. As far as I know it's a cubical Ex-Polarismobile since a few years, probably spending its time somewhere deep in an unknown junkyard.
That is too bad. Maybe I’ll get the pelican from Elysium tattooed on my beer gut. :lol:
You are from Germany, right? Sorry off topic...can you recommend me some German beer I could possibly buy in the US? Thanksss!! 🤘🏻

mocobhc

Post by mocobhc » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:53 pm

I fear I won't be much of help there, since you most probably won't find the beer I like in the US at all. I'd recommend Stuttgarter Hofbräu Pils or Rothaus Weizen-Zäpfle (latter is a wheat beer)... or some local artisan brews you definitely won't find overseas. And I can only guess, but the stuff you might get in the US might be the big labels like Beck's, Warsteiner, Bitburger or Erdinger? I dislike all of them :lol: though I must admit Beck's was the one I did like most when I started getting into drinking beer ages ago. Nowadays I would rather have no beer at all than one of these :lol:

robocop

Post by robocop » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:51 pm

mocobhc wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:53 pm
I fear I won't be much of help there, since you most probably won't find the beer I like in the US at all. I'd recommend Stuttgarter Hofbräu Pils or Rothaus Weizen-Zäpfle (latter is a wheat beer)... or some local artisan brews you definitely won't find overseas. And I can only guess, but the stuff you might get in the US might be the big labels like Beck's, Warsteiner, Bitburger or Erdinger? I dislike all of them :lol: though I must admit Beck's was the one I did like most when I started getting into drinking beer ages ago. Nowadays I would rather have no beer at all than one of these :lol:
Thanks!! I do like Pilsner...
I haven’t tried those big labels! Hmm...
I’m not much of a beer snob, if I want to get wasted I get whatever I find first. :lol:

robocop

Post by robocop » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:09 pm

A10, do you like female fronted bands?

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:08 pm

That's pretty catchy, robocoom. Intro was probably longer than it needed to be, but I like the singer. :oops:

Do you recommend any other songs from them?
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch?!

robocop

Post by robocop » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:52 pm

NeverendingAbyss wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:08 pm
That's pretty catchy, robocoom. Intro was probably longer than it needed to be, but I like the singer. :oops:

Do you recommend any other songs from them?

:luv1:

doc_holliday

Post by doc_holliday » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:31 am

I came upon this album back in 2001. I was surfing the net on my school's computer, and this cd was in the computer, so I listened to it. I grew quite fond of it. edit: it's not like Stratovarius though

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:42 pm

Listen to Pagan's Mind. It's an absolutely astonishing band and they are not very known.

Aegean shores...Prophecy of Pleiades...God's Equation...United Alliance...Entrance to Infinity...Through Osiris eyes..etc...etc...

Gorgeous! I discovered them back in 2010.
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

ZenithMC

Post by ZenithMC » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:20 am

I can confirm that Pagan's Mind is a fantastic band. Check them out, if you haven't already, A10 :headbang:

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:58 am

ZenithMC wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:20 am
I can confirm that Pagan's Mind is a fantastic band. Check them out, if you haven't already, A10 :headbang:
They were decent, but did not like them. I heard Celestial Entrance. I vaguely remember them as a wall of sound with no hooks. I could be way off base as its been a while. Do they have better albums?

ZenithMC

Post by ZenithMC » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:43 am

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:58 am
ZenithMC wrote:
They were decent, but did not like them. I heard Celestial Entrance. I vaguely remember them as a wall of sound with no hooks. I could be way off base as its been a while. Do they have better albums?
Listen to Heavenly Ecstasy. I was listening to that one and thought it was very impressive. :)

robocop

Post by robocop » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:26 pm

This is for A69 because he said he likes wintersun. These guys are from the US. Weird.

Motha-faka

Post by Motha-faka » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:36 am

THIS POST IS ONLY FOR UNKNOWN BANDS? OR NEW ONES? :shock:

robocop

Post by robocop » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:56 am

Motha-faka wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:36 am
THIS POST IS ONLY FOR UNKNOWN BANDS? OR NEW ONES? :shock:
BOTH!!!!!!

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:53 pm

ZenithMC wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:43 am
AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
ZenithMC wrote:
Listen to Heavenly Ecstasy. I was listening to that one and thought it was very impressive. :)
I just had a listen yesterday. I agree it's well developed! I recall listening to PM's Celestial Prophecy and I enjoyed it, but I could not get into their other songs. Heavenly Ecstasy turned out to be a fantastic album. :)

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:20 am

ZenithMC wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:43 am
AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
ZenithMC wrote:
I haven't gotten to Heavenly Ecstasy yet, but I will check it out.

I was actually listening to my favorite Threshold album today called "Dead Reckoning". It occurred to me that this is exactly the kind of album you would like. Full of strong, very memorable melodies throughout- plus a great vocal performance from the late Andrew McDermott who has a certain gravity to his voice that's hard to explain.

Bonus points to this album for outstanding production. The guitars sound really heavy and the vocals sit just right in the mix. I'm sure you will find flaws, but to my ears its almost a golden reference of what I want a prog/power metal album to sound like. Indeed, Karl Groom is a well regarded producer/engineer in the field.

In particular I can recommend the songs "Pilot in the Sky of Dreams", and "Fighting for Breath". There are a couple less special songs on this album (particularly in the first half), and I admit there are few "wow" guitar solos, but the overall quality is extremely high.

Let me know what you think if you have time.

ZenithMC

Post by ZenithMC » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:19 am

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:20 am
I listened to the whole album just now.

The production is phenomenal, no doubt. That guitar tone, in particular, is incredible (both rhythm & lead). The drums are poppy, punchy, & articulate. Vocals are placed very well. Great balance of treble, mids, and bass in all instruments/voices, and it's all very clear. Nothing gets buried at any point. A+ from me. Now, usually, I enjoy a more reverberant & powerful mix, but a dry (and I don't mean raw, here) mix is very much the norm for progressive metal, and here, the dryness allows for an articulate & focused sound to propagate.
AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
I'm sure you will find flaws
The bass guitar tone is incredibly clean, smooth, & deep. It would've benefited from more mid-range presence, as it's difficult to discern the basslines without that. Blending the clean bass with distorted bass would also help it to pop a bit more. Here, it seems it's often used to thicken up the bottom-end of the guitar, as opposed to performing counterpoint, so it's not really a big deal.

As for the music, it was very cool. That said, my tastes are more on the power side and less on the prog side, so I probably would've enjoyed this more if my tastes were the other way around. The melodies are very proggy, but very good, for lack of better description.

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:41 pm

ZenithMC wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:19 am
AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
I listened to the whole album just now.
I really appreciate that you took a look and for the detailed review! I'm really glad you enjoyed it. And the deep dive into the production was really helpful: I often get a vague idea of how I feel about an album but I don't have the technical knowledge as you do.
As for the music, it was very cool. That said, my tastes are more on the power side and less on the prog side, so I probably would've enjoyed this more if my tastes were the other way around. The melodies are very proggy, but very good, for lack of better description.
What I like about Threshold is that they are progressive while still having a classic heavy metal vibe to them. I think the song structures are not very complicated at all, and there are not many virtuoso moments (in a good way, since I don't always like that kind of thing).

There are a lot of other Threshold albums that are of similar quality to this one. Hypothetical, Critical Mass, and Subsurface all get a big thumbs up from me.

ZenithMC

Post by ZenithMC » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:44 pm

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:41 pm
What I like about Threshold is that they are progressive while still having a classic heavy metal vibe to them.
Yeah, that's actually a much more accurate description than what I provided. :)

robocop

Post by robocop » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:32 pm

Dinosaurs and power metal. A69 might like it. I do.

doc_holliday

Post by doc_holliday » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:56 pm

I like this album. It has humor in it. Best song is #7

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:48 pm

It's been a while since this album came out, but it's still one of my favorites when it comes to down to relaxing. 8)

robocop

Post by robocop » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:21 am

Ugh. Yngwie mulletstain. :lol:

Motha-faka

Post by Motha-faka » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:41 pm

I recommend Greta van Fleet - If you Like Led Zeppelin, this band can like you

Ok Kiddos, this is not metal, and what? :x

:lol:

Jabi

Post by Jabi » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:06 pm

I would recommend Savage Circus for people who enjoy the classic Blind Guardian sound of 90’s. Towards the end of his time in BG the drummer Thomen Stauch had grown dissatisfied with the band’s musical direction, inspiring him to start a band that would play music similar to older BG. In Jens Carlsson (Persuader) he found a vocalist who sounds very much like Hansi Kursch.

Savage Circus released two albums, went through many line-up changes and whereas they haven’t officially disbanded, I don’t think there’s been any activity over the past six years either, as the members of the latest line-up have been busy with other projects.

Then there’s Carlsson’s main band Persuader who have been active since 1997 and have released four albums; a new one is being released in December. They play power metal with thrash and some melodeath influences.

OMG, they fired Jari! Bastards!

Motha-faka

Post by Motha-faka » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:49 am

and this? i dont have the fucking idea... but FT, Matias kupiainen and Alex Landenburg :err:

why all the Powermetal bands sound so generic?... is the style of production or what.... :err: