What bands / albums do you recommend?

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
Jabi
Re: What bands / albums do you recommend?

Post by Jabi » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:50 am

Motha-faka wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:49 am
why all the Powermetal bands sound so generic?... is the style of production or what.... :err:
My guess is that "everything" has already been made, and it's simply getting more and more difficult to come up with something original. Theoretically it's possible to create tens of billions of different melodies using the chromatic 12 note scale, but in practice only a smaller part of those melodies are usable/sound good.
OMG, they fired Jari! Bastards!

doc_holliday

Post by doc_holliday » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:51 pm

I discovered this band and album about 2 years ago. It's a band from Quebec. It's relatively unknown I think, but I don't understand why, because it's so good

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:15 am

Currently listening to Dimmu Borgir debut album at Robocop's behest... will let y'all know.

robocop

Post by robocop » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:42 am

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:15 am
Currently listening to Dimmu Borgir debut album at Robocop's behest... will let y'all know.
I only like the puritanical one, really. Due to its bombastic production. :mrgreen:

Back in the day if I was listening to more black metal, Emperor is another band. But I already showed you that song.

robocop

Post by robocop » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:12 am

ZenithMC wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:19 am
AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:20 am
Let me know what you think if you have time.
I listened to the whole album just now.

The production is phenomenal, no doubt. That guitar tone, in particular, is incredible (both rhythm & lead). The drums are poppy, punchy, & articulate. Vocals are placed very well. Great balance of treble, mids, and bass in all instruments/voices, and it's all very clear. Nothing gets buried at any point. A+ from me. Now, usually, I enjoy a more reverberant & powerful mix, but a dry (and I don't mean raw, here) mix is very much the norm for progressive metal, and here, the dryness allows for an articulate & focused sound to propagate.
AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:20 am
I'm sure you will find flaws
The bass guitar tone is incredibly clean, smooth, & deep. It would've benefited from more mid-range presence, as it's difficult to discern the basslines without that. Blending the clean bass with distorted bass would also help it to pop a bit more. Here, it seems it's often used to thicken up the bottom-end of the guitar, as opposed to performing counterpoint, so it's not really a big deal.

As for the music, it was very cool. That said, my tastes are more on the power side and less on the prog side, so I probably would've enjoyed this more if my tastes were the other way around. The melodies are very proggy, but very good, for lack of better description.
Hola. Found you the perfect snare with that SNAP you always say.

Robocop 2.0

Post by Robocop 2.0 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:50 pm

Well I'll contribute to this thread later but
NeverendingAbyss wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:48 pm
It's been a while since this album came out, but it's still one of my favorites when it comes to down to relaxing. 8)

Got to say I agree it's nice for relaxing, I bought several old albums of Yngwie at some point of my life when I saw them for good price, but this one I went to get with a thought I "need" this album.

As a side note, gotta respect giving your album a name "Angels of Love" and put your wife on the album cover
Temporary forum account of SatanicSmile (my own account is likely locked, can't get pass recovery email for some reason)

Thanks Robocop!

robocop

Post by robocop » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:47 pm

I want to fuck Yngweiner Mulletstain’s wife. :lol:
Jk. He would “unleash the fucking fury” on me. :wink: