What bands / albums do you recommend?

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
AAAAAAAAAA
What bands / albums do you recommend?

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Wed May 27, 2020 6:43 pm

Over the years, what bands / albums have you listened to that are on par or similar to Stratovarius in quality? I like a lot of hard rock/metal, mainly power, progressive, classic, doom, etc.

I already know Labyrinth, Sonata Arctica, Blind Guardian, Rhapsody, Helloween, Kamelot, Vision Divine, etc.

All I ask is, give me a few recommendations each rather than spamming with 20 Youtube videos (I'm looking at you, homocop).

ZenithMC

Re: What bands / albums do you recommend?

Post by ZenithMC » Wed May 27, 2020 8:42 pm

I bet I'm the last person you'd expect to give you band recommendations, eh? :lol: You maybe already heard of these two bands, but I recommend Crimson Glory and Lost Horizon.

Be forewarned, Crimson Glory's sound is heavily aligned with USPM, so it is quite a bit different than Stratovarius. The vocalist also sounds like Robert Plant on crack. :lol: The first album's production is a tad bit rough, but the songs are quite good. The second album's production is excellent, but, overall, the music is slightly less interesting to me. I haven't listened to the albums beyond that, so I cannot recommend them.

Favorite tracks:
S/T - Dragon Lady
S/T - Mayday
Transcendence - Lady of Winter
Transcendence - Where Dragons Rule

Honestly, just listen to both of these albums from beginning to end; you won't be disappointed.
https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Crimson_Glory/381

Lost Horizon is closer to Stratovarius' sound, but still quite distinct. I remember liking their first album more than their second. In some ways they remind me more of Sonata Arctica. It's been a while since I listened to them, so I can't remember off of the top of my head what my favorites were.
https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Lost_Horizon/377

If you are looking for something different but still high quality, I recommend King Diamond. Horror themed heavy metal with power metal elements. Check out Abigail; it's my favorite album from them. Conspiracy is also another good one.
https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/King_Diamond/255

Lastly, I will shill and recommend again taking a look at hells_unicorn's reviews on Metal Archives:
https://www.metal-archives.com/users/hells_unicorn

I discovered many excellent bands there and his reviews are very well written.

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Wed May 27, 2020 10:36 pm

Wintersun's The Forest Seasons is a must if you haven't listened to it yet.

I will assume you have listened to all DT's albums, especially when MP was in the band.
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch?!

robocop

Post by robocop » Thu May 28, 2020 1:58 am

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 6:43 pm
All I ask is, give me a few recommendations each rather than spamming with 20 Youtube videos (I'm looking at you, homocop).
MFW you make a gay joke:

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Thu May 28, 2020 7:36 am

ZenithMC wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:42 pm
I bet I'm the last person you'd expect to give you band recommendations, eh? :lol: You maybe already heard of these two bands, but I recommend Crimson Glory and Lost Horizon.

Be forewarned, Crimson Glory's sound is heavily aligned with USPM, so it is quite a bit different than Stratovarius. The vocalist also sounds like Robert Plant on crack. :lol: The first album's production is a tad bit rough, but the songs are quite good. The second album's production is excellent, but, overall, the music is slightly less interesting to me. I haven't listened to the albums beyond that, so I cannot recommend them.
Awesome, I will check them out. I have heard individual songs from both bands, but never listened to a full album. I definitely value your input on the subject, since we basically listen to the same kind of music.
If you are looking for something different but still high quality, I recommend King Diamond. Horror themed heavy metal with power metal elements. Check out Abigail; it's my favorite album from them. Conspiracy is also another good one.
https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/King_Diamond/255
I like King Diamond but there is something preventing me from really loving it. I think the high pitched shrieking, while admittedly distinctive, actually disrupts the songs. I guess most of my favorite bands are all about great melodies that I can sing along with, and King Diamond is more about atmosphere and 80's metal groove.
Lastly, I will shill and recommend again taking a look at hells_unicorn's reviews on Metal Archives:
https://www.metal-archives.com/users/hells_unicorn
I looked through and I've got to say, his taste and my taste do overlap but...when he is giving 100% ratings to Iron Maiden "Killers", Queensryche "The Warning", and Fates Warning "Awaken the Guardian", erm, well we have to agree to disagree :lol:

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Thu May 28, 2020 7:37 am

NeverendingAbyss wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 10:36 pm
Wintersun's The Forest Seasons is a must if you haven't listened to it yet.

I will assume you have listened to all DT's albums, especially when MP was in the band.
I heard the first Wintersun album and it was kind of weird and goofy, did not like it much at the time. I will check out this new one!

And yes, I have heard all those DT albums and I really like them from Images & Words to 6 Degrees of Inner Turbulence. After that its hit or miss, but still some great songs.

ZenithMC

Post by ZenithMC » Thu May 28, 2020 9:22 am

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 7:36 am
I like King Diamond but there is something preventing me from really loving it. I think the high pitched shrieking, while admittedly distinctive, actually disrupts the songs. I guess most of my favorite bands are all about great melodies that I can sing along with, and King Diamond is more about atmosphere and 80's metal groove.
Yes, it's definitely an acquired taste. I find King Diamond's singing to be mostly melodic, but it is indeed very screechy. On Abigail, the screechiness is exacerbated by an over bright mixing job on the vocals. Conspiracy's vocal mix is much more balanced.
AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 7:36 am
I looked through and I've got to say, his taste and my taste do overlap but...when he is giving 100% ratings to Iron Maiden "Killers", Queensryche "The Warning", and Fates Warning "Awaken the Guardian", erm, well we have to agree to disagree :lol:
Hahahaha! :lol: Yeah, be wary of the albums he gives a 100% to most of the time. He sometimes rewards albums that score for reasons other than the music or lyrics, such as historical significance. :roll:

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Thu May 28, 2020 3:53 pm

There's a french band called "Heavenly" the first album was really good, Kai Hansen makes an appearance, it's closer to Helloween than Stratovarius tho'
"Coming from the Sky" its the name of that album.

Also a Japanese band called "Concerto Moon" very much like Ynwgie Malsteen stuff, and lastly Kensizer, Mikko Harkin played keyboards on the second album.

that's it , I believe.
A9

Pancio

Post by Pancio » Thu May 28, 2020 8:45 pm

Nowadays I'm not into Power Metal anymore, I check only new material from: Gamma Ray, Helloween, Blind Guardian and Rage (especially with Lingua Mortis) plus, of course, Stratovarius but that's it.
Other bands are simply boring: both Rhapsody bands are uninspired and Angra, Freedom Call, Kamelot,Sonata etc. I cannot stand anymore.
Vision Divine was a good band with Luppi but not anymore (the new singer is way better than Lione tho), Labyrinth was a good band until Return to Heaven Denied.
Band like Dragonforce, Twilight Force, Gloryhammer, Power Wolf or Sabaton are simply too flat.

But during lockdown my playlist consisted of: Transatlantic, Epica (newer stuff only), Symphony X (Odyssey is one of my favorite album ever), Devin Townsend, Aristocrats, Blind Guardian (Twilight Orchestra), Sons of Apollo and a bunch of tracks from the past as well (songs from Strato or other famous bands).
I can give you a couple of interesting names: Liquorworks and Ron Jarzombek, both into progressive/weird stuff.
Oh, and I listened a lot of classical music and opera (I'm working on a couple of progressive suites with a friend).

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Fri May 29, 2020 5:12 am

Pancio wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:45 pm
Nowadays I'm not into Power Metal anymore, I check only new material from: Gamma Ray, Helloween, Blind Guardian and Rage (especially with Lingua Mortis) plus, of course, Stratovarius but that's it.
Yeah, I am familiar with those bands. Though I only heard one album from Rage (Trapped!) and thought it was quite average. Didn't like the singer either and the lyrics were corny. The other bands you listed are great.

Pancio wrote:
Other bands are simply boring: both Rhapsody bands are uninspired and Angra, Freedom Call, Kamelot,Sonata etc. I cannot stand anymore.
You are absolutely right on all counts (as usual).

Sonata Arctica we have discussed to death here: they have gotten worse and worse since Reckoning Night.

Kamelot is extremely formulaic with Tommy Karevik, despite the stellar production the songs are forgettable (and I hate Tommy's voice btw).

Angra is one of my favorite bands, but I hate Rafael Bittencourt's increasing dominance of the songwriting, his annoying singing, and the last album was quite boring. I like most of their other albums (even Aqua and Aurora Consurgens) but Kiko Loureiro needs to get back in the band.

Freedom Call I only heard a few songs and wasn't too impressed but i'm open to give it another try.

Pancio wrote:
Vision Divine was a good band with Luppi but not anymore (the new singer is way better than Lione tho), Labyrinth was a good band until Return to Heaven Denied.
Band like Dragonforce, Twilight Force, Gloryhammer, Power Wolf or Sabaton are simply too flat.
Did you like Vision Divine's "Destination Set to Nowhere?" I thought that was a great album. Haven't heard the new one.

Labyrinth, I actually like Architecture of a God and Return Pt. II quite a bit. In fact, I find their earlier material hard to listen to (like the debut, for instance).

I liked Dragonforce's first album but stopped listening for some reason. I heard a new song today from their latest album (Highway something?) and it sucked so bad.

But during lockdown my playlist consisted of: Transatlantic, Epica (newer stuff only), Symphony X (Odyssey is one of my favorite album ever), Devin Townsend, Aristocrats, Blind Guardian (Twilight Orchestra), Sons of Apollo and a bunch of tracks from the past as well (songs from Strato or other famous bands).
I can give you a couple of interesting names: Liquorworks and Ron Jarzombek, both into progressive/weird stuff.
Oh, and I listened a lot of classical music and opera (I'm working on a couple of progressive suites with a friend).
I will check out some of those bands. Sons of Apollo is pretty cool, and that's despite my strong anti-Portnoy bias :lol: Not original but solid hard rock.

Symphony X is an awesome band, but I hate everything they did after paradise lost (lol).

Devin Townsend... that album about the aliens who come for the best cup of coffee was just retarded. Send me a good song and I will reconsider.

Aristocrats, Liquorworks, Ron Jarzombek, I know nothing about. Will check it out!

ZenithMC

Post by ZenithMC » Fri May 29, 2020 5:58 am

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 5:12 am
Did you like Vision Divine's "Destination Set to Nowhere?" I thought that was a great album. Haven't heard the new one.
I remember enjoying that one too and I thought that Lione sounded pretty good on there. The songwriting was a complete 180 from 9 Degrees West of the Moon, which I really didn't enjoy at all. From what I remember, 9 Degrees West of the Moon was meant as an experimental album, which explains the peculiarities in the songwriting department.

Have you ever listened to Axel Rudi Pell, A10? A few years ago, I listened to a number of their earlier albums, all of which Jörg Michael performed on. They have a more traditional metal sound, but straddle the line into power metal territory occasionally. Their lyrical themes are deeply inspired by Dio's. Just be wary of their first release; I didn't like it because the lyrical themes were too cheesy and "cock rock" for my tastes.
https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Ax ... _Pell/1746

robocop

Post by robocop » Fri May 29, 2020 9:07 am

Pancio: Liquorworks is so fuckin awesome. I found them on Spotify like a million other bands. Ron jarz and spastic ink, I heard of him way way back over ten years ago. I emailed him once asking to play drums on a song (I was naive and can’t even play that shit) and he wrote a kind of mean email back. :lol:
Do you know of the Italian band DGM? I really liked their album that had Russ Allen on it. I would post it but it seems A10 is menstruating. I also listen to lots of stuff so it’s not like my days are filled with just metal.

“Unknown Power Metal YT” on YouTube uploads so much of underrated and unknown bands. Honestly, if you use any streaming platform that recommends bands based on what you listen you, you’d realize there’s so many bands I don’t even remember the names because there’s so much to listen to and discover. I used to spend a lot of time searching for bands, lots of time.

Anyway, DGM - Reason is a good song that’s on YT to check out.
Bob from firewind has lots of good music he plays guitar on them too...I’d recommend Mendel if you like your instrumental metal music. I love Twilight Force, too. Fantasy themed pm. Dragonland has some good stuff. Victorius has the Dinosaur warfare themed power metal that kicks my ass. The key here is to go through all the music you find to find what you like. Time consuming but it’s better than having no new music.

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:44 am

So far, here is what i've been exploring:

- Listened to the first Crimson Glory album. I can't remember any melodies or hooks, but I actually enjoyed it. Would give it a 3.5 / 5 so far, but worth another look.

- Wintersun's "The Forest Seasons" was actually awesome. I won't give a rating yet as I'm still working my way through it. Its a much more mature album than the debut.

- Have not yet gotten to Adrian and Homocop's recommendations, but I will. (I have listened to DGM by the way).

- I listened to The Aristocrats at the behest of Italian Jesus and was pleasantly surprised. Not a fan of instrumentals usually but this one really worked. Thanks for the recommendation.

robocop

Post by robocop » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:33 am

A10:
If you like the Aristocrats check out the solo albums of Marco Minnemann and Guthrie Govan. Guthrie Govan - Erotic Cakes is a favorite instrumental guitar album of mine. Marco Minnemann - Broken Orange is also a classic. Jazz fusion type. Possibly. Piano, drums. He plays all the instruments on most of his albums. :shock: Not all of them are the same either. Broken Orange is different then his later ones. None of this is any type of metal. Just a FYI.

robocop

Post by robocop » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:20 pm

Hey,
I only wanted to add today that Rolf's other band SMACKBOUND has a new album out!
Female fronted, she can belt it out. :shock:
This is a recommended of course in the recommended thread.

Full album playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=O ... =1&index=1

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:07 pm

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:44 am
- Wintersun's "The Forest Seasons" was actually awesome. I won't give a rating yet as I'm still working my way through it. Its a much more mature album than the debut.
I like the debut best, it's goofy and over-the-top alright, but that's the charm of it. It's a creative herring salad explosion, as the saying goes in Finland. Saw them live once with Jari in sweatpants.

robocop

Post by robocop » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:27 pm

Carcass wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:07 pm
I like the debut best, it's goofy and over-the-top alright, but that's the charm of it. It's a creative herring salad explosion, as the saying goes in Finland. Saw them live once with Jari in sweatpants.
Lol. I think the drama and circlejerk around the band is kind of dumb. There are numerous bands that play melodeath that don't have to have a crowdfunding campaign just to upgrade their music plugins or some shit. :lol:
Like Kalmah or even a *GASP* US band Aether Realm. :lol: ETc, etc....use a fucking music streaming app or YouTube and your rectum will be full of bands. :lol:

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:14 pm

I don't get it either. I know Jari Mäenpää is a genius (allegedly) and I'm a retard, but to me Time I sounds awfully bloated and cluttered. It sounds like he tried to cram ten hours of musical cooom into one CD.

robocop

Post by robocop » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:57 am

Carcass wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:14 pm
I don't get it either. I know Jari Mäenpää is a genius (allegedly) and I'm a retard, but to me Time I sounds awfully bloated and cluttered. It sounds like he tried to cram ten hours of musical cooom into one CD.
Musical coom you say? :wink:
Have you ever listened to this death metal band??

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:41 am

Funny that I explicitly asked in the original post for RoboCop not to spam with bullshit YouTube videos. Never change friend :lol:

robocop

Post by robocop » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:03 am

Got a band for you.

Wham!
Song: Wake me up before you go go
To heighten your high: stick kava in an enema bag and let it loose in your asshole.

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:14 pm

robocop wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:03 am
Got a band for you.

Wham!
To heighten your high: stick kava in an enema bag and let it loose in your asshole.
I'm going to get totally wasted on Kava and listen to your rap about burgers on repeat. :arrow: =P :err: 8)

robocop

Post by robocop » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:26 pm

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:14 pm
robocop wrote:
Got a band for you.

Wham!
I'm going to get totally wasted on Kava and listen to your rap about burgers on repeat. :arrow: =P :err: 8)
You think I take that shit serious? Ok. Maybe if it generated some profits you’d care. :lol:
PS
Have some fun sometimes. You honestly seem like a stuck up bitch a lot. :lol:

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:52 pm

robocop wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:26 pm
AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:14 pm
robocop wrote:
Got a band for you.

Wham!
You think I take that shit serious? Ok. Maybe if it generated some profits you’d care. :lol:
PS
Have some fun sometimes. You honestly seem like a stuck up bitch a lot. :lol:
I'm joking!!!!! I like your videos. :lol:

robocop

Post by robocop » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:53 pm

I don’t believe you, nigga. Ok. Ok. I had too much coffee. :oops:

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:57 pm

robocop wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:53 pm
I don’t believe you, nigga. Ok. Ok. I had too much coffee. :oops:
Don't shit your pants :lol:

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:09 pm

Alright, here's my contribution to the actual topic: Borknagar! Not power metal, but they're pretty epic and melodic and progressive at times. These tracks are from their latest releases, they've been around for a while.

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:18 am

Carcass wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:09 pm
Alright, here's my contribution to the actual topic: Borknagar! Not power metal, but they're pretty epic and melodic and progressive at times. These tracks are from their latest releases, they've been around for a while.

I heard both songs. Enjoyed as I listened, seems very polished and well produced. But after listening I came to the conclusion it was a bit generic and forgettable. I need more hooks and memorable melodies, not just a theatrical journey with all these disconnected passages. That's one of the reason I was never able to get into Opeth.

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:20 am

I finally had my first listen of Conception's latest album with Roy Khan. It's very refreshing to hear him again.

I'll give it a second, more attentive listen. It's not Kamelot, but it's enjoyable so far.
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch?!

robocop

Post by robocop » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:35 pm

A10 doesn’t want videos. :(
This is an exception if you like feel good power metal:

Btw, does anybody remember NeonVomit and his band Winter’s Verge? They have a new album coming out. I’m not going to post it so it doesn’t make the A’s bonerman mad. :wink: