How Did Music Help You During Quarantine?

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
Linnette Gray
How Did Music Help You During Quarantine?

Post by Linnette Gray » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:11 pm

The COVID-19 pandemic means that many of us are staying at home and doing less in terms of social interactions and exercise. This can have a negative effect on your physical and mental health. How did music help you cope with anxiety brought about by the Covid-19 quarantine?

ZenithMC

Re: How Did Music Help You During Quarantine?

Post by ZenithMC » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:00 am

I can't say that Covid-19 caused me any real anxiety, probably due to the fact that I don't watch the news or read about current events; I simply have no interest in the happenings/going-ons of the World. Life is pretty much business as usual for me. Even before the onset of the pandemic, I was almost always at home and talked to very few people (no social life). That may seem bleak to those who aren't introverted, but I prefer it this way. I've always done exercises in my house. I spend more time writing music and performing music than listening to music, but when I'm looking to chill: vidya time! :lol:

Linnette Gray

Post by Linnette Gray » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:05 pm

ZenithMC wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:00 am
I can't say that Covid-19 caused me any real anxiety, probably due to the fact that I don't watch the news or read about current events; I simply have no interest in the happenings/going-ons of the World. Life is pretty much business as usual for me. Even before the onset of the pandemic, I was almost always at home and talked to very few people (no social life). That may seem bleak to those who aren't introverted, but I prefer it this way. I've always done exercises in my house. I spend more time writing music and performing music than listening to music, but when I'm looking to chill: vidya time! :lol:
Good for you, I've known a lot of people who really got affected by this quarantine. So you are a musician, what kind of music do you make?

ZenithMC

Post by ZenithMC » Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:33 am

Linnette Gray wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:05 pm
Good for you, I've known a lot of people who really got affected by this quarantine. So you are a musician, what kind of music do you make?
Pretty much any kind, but mostly power metal. I've written electronic, techno, orchestral, blues, jazz, prog, waltz, fugues (rather poorly, though), and avant-garde styles, too. I like anything, as long as it has a nice melody and/or atmosphere. I'll make a thread about it eventually...

doc_holliday

Post by doc_holliday » Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:03 am

ZenithMC wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:33 am
Linnette Gray wrote:
Pretty much any kind, but mostly power metal. I've written electronic, techno, orchestral, blues, jazz, prog, waltz, fugues (rather poorly, though), and avant-garde styles, too. I like anything, as long as it has a nice melody and/or atmosphere. I'll make a thread about it eventually...
Yea me too, but my favorite styles are power metal and eurodance. But there's not a lot of melody in jazz, is there?

robocop

Post by robocop » Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:21 am

doc_holliday wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:03 am
ZenithMC wrote:
Linnette Gray wrote:
Yea me too, but my favorite styles are power metal and eurodance. But there's not a lot of melody in jazz, is there?
Here

ZenithMC

Post by ZenithMC » Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:10 am

doc_holliday wrote:
But there's not a lot of melody in jazz, is there?
I think there are tons of melody in jazz, at least from what I've heard. I don't listen to jazz very often, nor do I have a very deep understanding of jazz music, so the jazz songs that I've written might be some bastard form of jazz music, I don't know. :lol:
robocop wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:21 am
Here
This is a nice jazz fusion example. :) I'm not a fan of the timbre of the saxophone at all, generally speaking. :( Funny enough, I've never written in a fusion style before. The jazz pieces that I've written are more traditional, with the 8th note swing, walking bass line, & all that. My jazz pieces sound similar to Nobuo Uematsu's jazzy stuff from FF7, as that was my primary influence.

Here's another jazz fusion example from Megaman Network Transmission:

doc_holliday

Post by doc_holliday » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:07 am

robocop wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:21 am
doc_holliday wrote:
ZenithMC wrote:

Here

I did not enjoy that :(

ZenithMC

Post by ZenithMC » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:44 am

doc_holliday wrote:
Hey, doc! I found a jazz song without a melody, but with tons of solos. This song is structured more like a traditional jazz song (walking bass line, blah blah blah) albeit with some atypical instrumentation in places.

I love this song:

EDIT: Nevermind. Apparently this is a free-form jazz piece which is why it consists mostly of "improv" solos and sporadic tone clusters. There's really nothing typical about this song! :lol:

ZenithMC

Post by ZenithMC » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:28 am

Here's another example. Free form jazz w/ fusion instrumentation. The guitar seems to be in a different temperament than the other instruments, which sounds awful to me. I can't say that I like this song too much... :(

doc_holliday

Post by doc_holliday » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:55 pm

ZenithMC wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:44 am
doc_holliday wrote:
Hey, doc! I found a jazz song without a melody, but with tons of solos. This song is structured more like a traditional jazz song (walking bass line, blah blah blah) albeit with some atypical instrumentation in places.

I love this song:

EDIT: Nevermind. Apparently this is a free-form jazz piece which is why it consists mostly of "improv" solos and sporadic tone clusters. There's really nothing typical about this song! :lol:
yea I didn't enjoy this one either :lol:
but it's fine for background music like in a video game

doc_holliday

Post by doc_holliday » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:56 pm

ZenithMC wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:28 am
Here's another example. Free form jazz w/ fusion instrumentation. The guitar seems to be in a different temperament than the other instruments, which sounds awful to me. I can't say that I like this song too much... :(

actually, this one was less bad than the other ones for me.

Robocop 2.0

Post by Robocop 2.0 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:37 pm

Didn't cause any sort of anxiety for me, but staying more at home made me more active at looking for new and "new" music. I guess I also watch way more live concerts on youtube now.
Temporary forum account of SatanicSmile (my own account is likely locked, can't get pass recovery email for some reason)

Thanks Robocop!