Lack of new members...

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
AAAAAAAAAA
Lack of new members...

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:40 am

I looked at the "members" list on the forum, and saw that the last registered user was from 2019. Can it really be that not a single user has registered on this forum for over a year?

In hindsight, I can't believe I never noticed this earlier, but the forum is actually closed to new members. If that's actually the case, then it means a slow, programmed death to kill the community.

The band hasn't liked this place for years. The fact that they never post any updates here, much less participate in any discussions, should be a dead giveaway. Can you imagine them promoting this on Facebook, saying "hey guys, come down to the forum and join the discussion?". It won't happen in a million years. Its just a liability because unlike Facebook, the band are held responsible for what we post (or at least they think they are).

Problem is, Facebook is a garbage platform that lends itself to just updates (mainly photos) from the band followed by an absurd number of trivial "you go girl" kind of messages underneath. There is nothing resembling a proper discussion. The barrier of entry is too low, and the culture is too banal.

The counterargument is that we need to get with the times and move on to more mature platforms. The band does not owe us a safe place to discuss which members are circumsized on their official website (truthfully, such a discussion did take place a couple years ago).

What do you guys think?

robocop

Re: Lack of new members...

Post by robocop » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:01 am

It is a sad thing. These forums are a remnant of Web 1.0. The influx of younger kids would be more on some apps like tik tok. Where it is not focused on long discussions. Just a bunch of shit for likes. Thats where we are at. This place has no likes. :lol:

Motha-faka

Post by Motha-faka » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:14 am

Kotipelto is the moderator in this forum, and in this forum he is like "God" he is in all parts but anyone can't see him :lol:

ZenithMC

Post by ZenithMC » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:17 am

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:40 am
In hindsight, I can't believe I never noticed this earlier, but the forum is actually closed to new members. If that's actually the case, then it means a slow, programmed death to kill the community.
Yes, account registration is by Admin approval only, as there was a flood of spam bots pouring in here. I believe it was meant to be a temporary solution until a more robust anti-bot mechanism replaces it.
AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
The band hasn't liked this place for years. The fact that they never post any updates here, much less participate in any discussions, should be a dead giveaway. Can you imagine them promoting this on Facebook, saying "hey guys, come down to the forum and join the discussion?". It won't happen in a million years. Its just a liability because unlike Facebook, the band are held responsible for what we post (or at least they think they are).
The forum was mentioned on FB by the Stratovarius page about a year ago. They didn't try to promote, really. It was more just to say how resilient the forum is.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 0648796656
AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
The counterargument is that we need to get with the times and move on to more mature platforms. The band does not owe us a safe place to discuss which members are circumsized on their official website (truthfully, such a discussion did take place a couple years ago).
Where else would we be able to ask such pertinent questions? :lol: I'd prefer to stay here on this forum to discuss whatever with you guys. It's more fun and intimate than trying to discuss things on a clusterfuck like FB. Forums got it right and everything that "succeeded" them turned into an unintuitive hive mind platform with seldom any meaningful discussions.

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:33 am

ZenithMC wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:17 am
AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
Yes, account registration is by Admin approval only, as there was a flood of spam bots pouring in here. I believe it was meant to be a temporary solution until a more robust anti-bot mechanism replaces it.
I see. That makes sense. I guess, no huge sense of urgency to fix it, or maybe no viable solution.

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:15 am

Apparently Kotipelto's website is still up, although incomplete. I wonder how much this forum's monthly cost is. I love this place but it's sad to know there hasn't been new members. I thought our autism was keeping them from joining in the first place.
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch?!

ZenithMC

Post by ZenithMC » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:33 am

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:33 am
I see. That makes sense. I guess, no huge sense of urgency to fix it, or maybe no viable solution.
Yeah, I imagine Stratoforum registration isn't very high up on the list of the band's priorities. It's true that much of their public-facing focus is on, primarily, FB.
NeverendingAbyss wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:15 am
Apparently Kotipelto's website is still up, although incomplete. I wonder how much this forum's monthly cost is. I love this place but it's sad to know there hasn't been new members. I thought our autism was keeping them from joining in the first place.
True true. I too would like to see new members here, not to discount any of the people that are already here, of course. Not sure how much this forum costs, but I don't believe it costs them anything additional, since it's a subdomain of stratovarius.com.

Take solace. Jens told us that he would let us know ahead of time if the forum were ever to be done away with, unlike what happened with any of Tolkki's forums. :lol:

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:58 am

Damn, for a forum where everyone has been banned from registering for 1 year, we are on fire today!

We need Stratowarius, Agag, BEG, and Icecab back.

ZenithMC

Post by ZenithMC » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:31 am

Sorry, I had a much larger post written, but I couldn't help but feel like a broken record. I'm going to burn myself out of the Stratoforum if I keep posting at this rate. I need to pick up the slack for the lack of active members, after all. =P :lol:

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:20 pm

I honestly miss Stratowarius. What a light-hearted creative little man.

AGAG was the guy who could come up with senselessness in a well thought out, structured sentence. I'm sure BEG is too busy with what is going on in her life now, and I wish her well from afar.

Icecab? Ah, he's just Icecab. :lol:

I wonder how many of these guys got kicked out of the forum when it updated, didn't have their passwords saved, and can't sign up due to the admin-approval process.

Ragehead was another one who was funny to talk to. Lived by his name.
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch?!

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:24 pm

NeverendingAbyss wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:20 pm
Me too! Stratowarius, and also Agag, were both great. I think StratoW was a girl, but i'm not sure.

robocop

Post by robocop » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:11 am

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:24 pm
NeverendingAbyss wrote:
Me too! Stratowarius, and also Agag, were both great. I think StratoW was a girl, but i'm not sure.
AGAG lives in Taiwan. Studied music stuff and philosophy there. I seen he had a piano recital before and was directing an orchestra, or was graduating from doing it? I'm not sure.

doc_holliday

Post by doc_holliday » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:32 am

robocop wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:11 am
AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:24 pm
NeverendingAbyss wrote:
AGAG lives in Taiwan. Studied music stuff and philosophy there. I seen he had a piano recital before and was directing an orchestra, or was graduating from doing it? I'm not sure.
damn, I spent almost 7 years in Taiwan

robocop

Post by robocop » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:45 am

doc_holliday wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:32 am
damn, I spent almost 7 years in Taiwan
Did you get laid? :wink: