Recently seen movies

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
stratohawk
Re: Recently seen movies

Post by stratohawk » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:17 am

DOGVILLE

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm still shocked and stunned.... what this awesome... well, theatre play I'd say.... Unbelievable....

It is a really hard, astonishing, bitter and disillusioning parable for human society. I REALLY can recommend to watch it. Hard stuff. But brilliant, really brilliant.

dirge

Post by dirge » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:31 am

Ghost Rider, cheesy in parts, not a great film but an ok film.

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:50 pm

Bougth a 5 DVD box-set of Peter "Lord Of The King Kong" Jackson's early movies.

Bad Taste
Meet The Feebles
Outrageous and hilarious. If you liked The Evil Dead -trilogy, you'll love these.

Dawn_is_Here

Post by Dawn_is_Here » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:04 pm

Drugs aren’t metal. Beer, however, can be served in all kinds of true metal ways. :D

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:35 am

Now I can sleep VERY good tonight! ;)
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

vanustrato

Post by vanustrato » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:43 pm

:D :D :D :D

Beauty_has_come

Post by Beauty_has_come » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:26 am

:shock: :w00t: :D

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
------------------------

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:54 am

I consider myself relatively straight, but I've everyone's got to admit, Johnny Depp is the most handsome man on planet. :P
In other news, went to see Grindhouse: Death Proof recently. Apparently it flopped at the box-office and I can see why. I can also see why those few people who did see it loved it. Pure Quentin Tarantino with various nods to his earlier films.

tkbdadsgshim

Post by tkbdadsgshim » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:11 pm

mmmmm yummy :D :D
"life can be good with the right people" - andi deris

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:08 pm

For the first time I watched "Kingdom of Heaven" in the Pilgrim's Guide mode. Very educational. I'm still irked that they twisted the historical facts so much in the movie. :?
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:47 pm

browneyedgirl wrote:For the first time I watched "Kingdom of Heaven" in the Pilgrim's Guide mode. Very educational. I'm still irked that they twisted the historical facts so much in the movie. :?
As I've mentioned before, they didn't even get the geography right ... Jerusalem is on the hills, not on the plane as it was shown in the movie.

Still, the Director's Cut of the movie is much better than the regular theatrical cut and the movie itself is not as bad as Troy, Alexander or Gladiator were ...
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

Equinox

Post by Equinox » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:54 am

Mormegil wrote:I consider myself relatively straight, but I've everyone's got to admit, Johnny Depp is the most handsome man on planet.
Nope, Brad Pitt is. :P
:lol:
"Insanity: A Perfect Rational Adjustment To An Insane World"

Mesqu

Post by Mesqu » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:24 pm

Spider-Man 3

htcdude

Post by htcdude » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:10 pm

I watched Arlington Road again yesterday...if you haven't seen it watch it cos it's brilliant...got a very differenmt ending :-)
"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me."

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:04 pm

Night Of The Living Dead
Classic zombie flick. I'm off to see the next one, Dawn Of The Dead.

dirge

Post by dirge » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:22 pm

Hostel part 2. Not as good as the first, but ok.

stratobabius

Post by stratobabius » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:43 am

Fantastic Four : The rise of the silver surfer

The best sequel to a movie I've seen this year(which isn't something hard in the first place :D )
Quite short though, only a bit more than 90 minutes...

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:29 am

Man, I'm waiting to watch that movie. Even though I know almost nothing about him, the Silver Surfer is one of my favourite comic book characters. As far as I know, he's indestructible and probably stronger than Superman. I remember watching Silver Surfer cartoons on tv and he was kind of a "philosopher", often thinking about his place in the universe and things like that, which I thought was pretty cool. He was very calm, inquisitive and introspective, and the fact that he was always alone added a melancholic atmosphere.
If irony were made of strawberries, we'd all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now.

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:44 pm

just watched Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth. Well I'm not that much into US politics, I don't know what reputation that guy has at the moment, but maybe that was even a better basis to watch that movie.
Though in some terms a bit oversimplifying, he tells what nowadays the vast majority of scientists confirm and what even (at least here in Germany) the public has realised after the revelations of the UN climate reports.

Probably many Americans don't like Gore for political or personal reasons, but I still hope also these people understand the message of this movie. Time is running out, folks..

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:17 pm

watched Severance. :D Very black, British splatter-humour! I especially liked the gags and the twisted references to other genre-movies. The story itself is good, but nothing special.

miditek

Post by miditek » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:35 pm

dirge wrote:Hostel part 2. Not as good as the first, but ok.
I saw this one this weekend also (I'm a B-movie horror fan; for me, the cheesier, the better!), and I agree with you, not as good as the first.

I think that the cinematography was stunning at times, switching from beautiful scenes of the countryside, as well as the hot springs, to the gritty, grimy dungeon stuff.

I thought that some of the plot elements were really predictable, while some of the plot twists were a bit unexpected, and of course, I did expect the revenge element to show up somewhere.

My main complaint is that the acting seemed to be a lot more stiff, wooden, etc. in this one, as opposed to the last. I also thought that the ending was a bit abrupt- which was disappointing, much like the last Sopranos episode "Made in America".

Not too bad of a movie if you are, as I was, bored on a Saturday afternoon and looking for something to do.
Κύριε ἐλέησον

htcdude

Post by htcdude » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:25 pm

I watched Police Academy this morning...absolute classic!

And i watched The One this evening, good old Jet Li :D
"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me."

Damien Thorn

Post by Damien Thorn » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:28 pm

I watched Shaun of the Dead yesterday; it was totally awesome, an absolute classic and very British too (fighting zombies at the local pub). It's nothing like Dawn of the Dead though, which was boring as hell. If you decide to go rent this at the local video store, you might also want to check out Hot Fuzz, which is even crazier...

Cheers,

Damien
Trite
Rhetorical
Cliched
Inane

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:34 pm

I just watched Dawn Of The Dead, but didn't think it was boring. :P
I totally agree about the greatness of Shaun Of The Dead though.

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:04 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:I watched Shaun of the Dead yesterday; it was totally awesome, an absolute classic and very British too (fighting zombies at the local pub). It's nothing like Dawn of the Dead though, which was boring as hell. If you decide to go rent this at the local video store, you might also want to check out Hot Fuzz, which is even crazier...

Cheers,

Damien
Shaun Of The Dead and Hot Fuzz are among my all-time favorite movies.
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

htcdude

Post by htcdude » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:20 pm

Two nights ago i watched A Bridge Too Far

A classic movie from 1977 starring Robert Redford, Michael Caine, Anthony Hopkins, Gene Hackman and Sean Connery.
It's about a mission that was launched by the British and Americans, to secure some bridges, but wasn't quite successful. Brilliant movie, recommended if you like war films.

Last night watched Moonlight Mile with Jake Gyllenhall. Quite a mellow but kool movie about how he tries to please his future in-laws ater his "fiancé" dies.

This morning watched The Bridge On The River Kwai, another brilliant classic war movie, this one from 1957, great ending to it..Watch it!

htcdude

Post by htcdude » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:55 pm

Was with nothing to do this morning, so i watched Kickboxer followed by Bloodsport and Bloodsport II

What can i say, i love Van Damme movies :D Anyone else???

miditek

Post by miditek » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:13 pm

htcdude wrote:Two nights ago i watched A Bridge Too Far

A classic movie from 1977 starring Robert Redford, Michael Caine, Anthony Hopkins, Gene Hackman and Sean Connery.It's about a mission that was launched by the British and Americans, to secure some bridges, but wasn't quite successful. Brilliant movie, recommended if you like war films.

This was a great movie, with an all star cast, and as you said, it covered the history of "Operation: Market Garden". This was Monty's and Ike's big gamble to cross the Rhine and end the war quickly- before Christmas of 1944. In a major blunder, Allied intelligence failed to detect the presence of not one, but two enemy armored divisions, the IX SS, in addition to the fearsome II SS "Das Reich".

One does not need to be an expert military strategist to realize that there was only so much that the lightly armed British 1st Airborne, as well as the U.S. 82nd and 101st Airborne divisions could do. I don't think that they were outfought, but they were certainly overwhelmed by Field Marshal Walther Model's forces.
htcdude wrote:This morning watched The Bridge On The River Kwai, another brilliant classic war movie, this one from 1957, great ending to it..Watch it!
This is one of my favorite movies of all time, and it sort of put Sir Alec Guinness on the map- long before he became Obi-Wan in "Star Wars", which he reportedly detested.
Κύριε ἐλέησον

nepi

Post by nepi » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:01 am

Project Peacemaker

Just seen it on TV... Nice
you can't kill my dreams
you can't kill my spirit
I was born to be FREE!

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:54 pm

I went to see Ocean's 13 because of Al Pacino and it was quite ok. Probably going to see Die Hard 4.0 soon.
Also I'm almost finished with the first season of The Sopranos on DVD. No doubt about this being the greatest TV-series ever. 8)