Recently seen movies

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
htcdude
Re: Recently seen movies

Post by htcdude » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:06 pm

Just watched Legend Of The Red Dragon with Jet Li. Not a bad typical eastern martial arts movie :D
"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me."

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:28 pm

I finally got around to watching those 2 $1.00 movies I'd bought at the yard sale last week. "The Core" (about the outer core of Earth not spinning&the resulting change in magnetic field, leading to horrific natural disasters and eventual end of the world) and, "The Sixth Day" (about cloning, with Arnold). Both of these are good movies. I was told they both did well at the box office about 5 years ago. I must've had my head buried up my ass then, because I do not remember them being shown! :?
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

htcdude

Post by htcdude » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:47 pm

browneyedgirl wrote:I finally got around to watching those 2 $1.00 movies I'd bought at the yard sale last week. "The Core" (about the outer core of Earth not spinning&the resulting change in magnetic field, leading to horrific natural disasters and eventual end of the world) and, "The Sixth Day" (about cloning, with Arnold). Both of these are good movies. I was told they both did well at the box office about 5 years ago. I must've had my head buried up my ass then, because I do not remember them being shown! :?
I didn't like The Core that much, a lot of the effects looked very cheap!
The 6th Day is good though, haven't seen it in a while but it's in my collection :)

Yesterday i watched Days Of Thunder with Tom Cruise. It's about him being a rookie NASCAR driver who has a bad accident and is scared to get back into racing..brilliant movie :D
Also watched Ladder 49. Not a bad movie with John Travolta and Joaquim Phoenix where a firefighter gets trapped in a building and they fight to get him out.

Today i watched Lady Hawk, a classic fantasy kinda movie from the 80s where a couple had a curse put upon them where the woman was a human by night but a hawk by day, and the bloke was a human by day and a wolf by night. It's about them trying to get the curse removed with the help of an escaped prisoner. Stars Michelle Pfeiffer, Matthew Broderick and Rutger Hauer :D
"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me."

Equinox

Post by Equinox » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:01 pm

I watched Transformers yesterday's night.

[Possible Spoilers]

And let's give a 7.5 for the sake of Optimus Primes' voice.
It had its really stupid parts. Typical american. The whole movie is mainly showing "how great the US army is" and there many unnecessary parts. Love? In the original Transformers? MY ASS. It had some really good action sequences but the picture was pooping at time. Didn't like the camera either.

But, I don't want to spoil it to no-one, so, I do recommend it, to hardcore "more than meets the eye" fans.

And this is a great review, that I totally agree with:

From the New York Times:
"A Michael Bay film, Transformers" Being MB's version of the Transformers of which he described as a "stupid toy movie" before he was educated about the subject matter by Hasbro, the movie therefore reflected his vision of the Transformers which in ways are different from the original. It is mostly a commercial film for the mass market. Despite brilliantly creating a live action movie with CGI & special effects(which is entertaining to the masses), the movie fell short on story telling, character development & creating a compelling atmosphere. What it did instead was to put up a show of explosion, crashes & cheap humor. It entertained by giving a cinematic experience of visual & sound(mostly bass) but is a good film based just on that alone? What happened to script writing, screenplay, cinematography, directing, editing & complimenting musical score? Is this the way movies should be made even if the audience should cheer & applaud them? As a media of great influence, shouldn't movie makers at least consider the values & messages they are sending out by their creation? When Optimus Prime & his Autobots decided to save earth & the human race, just what kind of a world are they really saving? A world of destruction, a world that sees commercial values above all else & a world whose people view a film like Michael Bay's Transformer something of high regard? Just who are these robots in disguised as the Transformers?
I am not the type of ppl that cares about reviews, but this one is soo, oh, but so true...
"Insanity: A Perfect Rational Adjustment To An Insane World"

htcdude

Post by htcdude » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:16 am

Spanglish An ok kinda comedy with Adam Sandler

stratobabius

Post by stratobabius » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:40 am

I saw Die Hard 4.0 two days ago...

From the beginning to the end,it's full of action. It had some funny moments too, but after seeing it, I'd prefer to watch something else.

Also, the first Death Note movie...
Since I've read most of the manga and seen the anime, it was kinda boring seeing the same thing for the 3rd time. Otherwise it was very nicely done.

htcdude

Post by htcdude » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:48 pm

This morning i watched Bicentennial Man with Robin Williams which was quite kool, about a robot who tries to make himself more and more human.

htcdude

Post by htcdude » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:26 am

Yesterday i watched Gleaming The Cube with Christian Slater, about a skateboarder's adopted brother who gets killed and dude tries to find out how and who. Cheesey 80s movie :D

In the evening watched The Green Mile Everyone's probably seen this so won't explain :)

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:03 pm

Yes, The Green Mile is one of the best movies ever made, IMO.
And, the book is good, too! :)

I was wondering about the new Die Hard movie. The TV previews were great! I'm glad stratobabius posted that! :D My son said he would probavly see it this week or next. I'll wait to rent the DVD! :D

Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

htcdude

Post by htcdude » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:21 pm

I think Die Hard 4.0 is something you'll definately one to see in the cinema...or you can do what i do...play it through a PC and project it onto a massive white sheet :-)

stratobabius

Post by stratobabius » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:23 pm

browneyedgirl wrote:Yes, The Green Mile is one of the best movies ever made, IMO.
And, the book is good, too! :)

I was wondering about the new Die Hard movie. The TV previews were great! I'm glad stratobabius posted that! :D My son said he would probavly see it this week or next. I'll wait to rent the DVD! :D
No,no! I'd rather see it on my small tv screen on an indoors Saturday night... :P

vanustrato

Post by vanustrato » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:15 pm

Messenger of Darkness...
It was cool but don't scared me :P

Mary Magdale

Post by Mary Magdale » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:02 am

Les Filles du Botaniste (The daughters of the gardener)
beautiful scenes of remote parts of China - many close-up scenes of a female love couple. The film also shows difficulties of (homosexual) relationships.
I probably wouldn't have watched it on TV, cos the cuts are rather slow and one would quickly change channels, but I'm glad that I've seen the movie - it's very recommendable :)
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra!

Neorave

Post by Neorave » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Went to see Transformers!

Overall: In Skwisgar's words: "It's dildos!". Too many Disney Channel people and references. Only cool thing IMO was the military scenes and the Bernie Mac scene.
Somehow I still have an account...yay...?

htcdude

Post by htcdude » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:52 am

I recommend Blood Diamond Quite moving showing the attacks of the rebels on the people of Sierra Leone and how it's all funded etc

htcdude

Post by htcdude » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:09 pm

Last night i watched half of Dream Girls, again not a bad movie, the Mrs got tired so we went to bed and will watch the rest another time :D

This morning i watched The Aviator a long movie but very enjoyable with Leonardo Di Caprio

Equinox

Post by Equinox » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:34 pm

Watched Battle Royale, a japanese movie about a rather radical solution for the 'rebel generation' that we're living in. I liked it. I heard that they're planning to make a "americanized' version of it, of course, with lots of patriotic moments and the red, blue and white everywhere...besides of couple of bitches here and there.

The movie was so nice and sick, that I don't know how I put those 2 words together.

Highly recommended.
"Insanity: A Perfect Rational Adjustment To An Insane World"

MetalManiac

Post by MetalManiac » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:43 pm

I watched Conan the Destroyer about a week ago. It turned out to be an excellent movie, even though the dialogue consists mostly of short imperatives and sentences like "Get out!" etc.. But, it's understandable because the plot progresses quite fast. I haven't seen the first movie yet, but I'm trying to find it somewhere.
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning."

finnlandia

Post by finnlandia » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:09 pm

You saw it Transformer,according to you not childish? :lol:

htcdude

Post by htcdude » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:23 pm

This morning watched A Man Called Hero Very typical badly dubbed martial arts movie but very kool :D

stratobabius

Post by stratobabius » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:52 am

Man of the year with Robin Williams

Quite ok.

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:27 am

I've been watching mainly European films lately: Good Bye Lenin, Torremolinos '73, Torrente 3: El Protector and La vie de bohème by the only decent Finnish director, Aki Kaurismäki.

Also saw Hotel Ruanda the other day. Didn't like it too much. The interesting bit of the whole conflict was left out: what makes people kill their own neighbours. Instead the hutus were almost demonized.

htcdude

Post by htcdude » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:41 am

In the middle of watching The Illusionist...seen it already and love it :) With Edward Norton

stratobabius

Post by stratobabius » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:15 am

The Epic Movie

Talk about a stupid movie...
Couldn't stop laughing after some time. It parodies about 15 movies, and my favourite was when mocking Harry Potter.
I don't think anyone can watch it a second time. :D

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:48 pm

I bought first season of ROME on DVD and rewatching it now. Great series and all the additional material is worth watching and listening to ...
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:40 pm

Well, Dan Brown's ANGELS&DEMONS is slated to be a movie about May, 2009. This should really please the Anti-Christianity, Anti-God&Anti-Jesus is Divine crowd/cult! But, the book IS good&this should be a good movie.
I see Patrick Stewart as the two-faced Kohler fella :evil: and maybe Eva Green as Vittoria. Of course, it would be great to see Tom Hanks again as Langdon. Of course, casting has not been started yet.

I'll get the link for this tidbit later.

Neorave

Post by Neorave » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:30 am

Equinox wrote:And let's give a 7.5 for the sake of Optimus Primes' voice.
Ok, I'll give it to you for that.

Equinox wrote:It had its really stupid parts. Typical american. The whole movie is mainly showing "how great the US army is" and there many unnecessary parts.
Hey, I like those scenes. It shows how the US Army SHOULD ACTUALLY BE PORTRAYED AS!!!
Equinox wrote:Love? In the original Transformers? MY ASS. It had some really good action sequences but the picture was pooping at time. Didn't like the camera either.
I HATE SHIA BUFF (or whatever the crap his last name is). Too many Disney Channel references.

[quote="Equinox]And this is a great review, that I totally agree with:

From the New York Times:
"A Michael Bay film, Transformers" Being MB's version of the Transformers of which he described as a "stupid toy movie" before he was educated about the subject matter by Hasbro, the movie therefore reflected his vision of the Transformers which in ways are different from the original. It is mostly a commercial film for the mass market. Despite brilliantly creating a live action movie with CGI & special effects(which is entertaining to the masses), the movie fell short on story telling, character development & creating a compelling atmosphere. What it did instead was to put up a show of explosion, crashes & cheap humor. It entertained by giving a cinematic experience of visual & sound(mostly bass) but is a good film based just on that alone? What happened to script writing, screenplay, cinematography, directing, editing & complimenting musical score? Is this the way movies should be made even if the audience should cheer & applaud them? As a media of great influence, shouldn't movie makers at least consider the values & messages they are sending out by their creation? When Optimus Prime & his Autobots decided to save earth & the human race, just what kind of a world are they really saving? A world of destruction, a world that sees commercial values above all else & a world whose people view a film like Michael Bay's Transformer something of high regard? Just who are these robots in disguised as the Transformers?
I am not the type of ppl that cares about reviews, but this one is soo, oh, but so true...[/quote][/quote]

Definitely like that review. Seriously, if Michael Bay made this movie based on what he saw in the original Transformers cartoon movie, then I would've given him some credit then.
Somehow I still have an account...yay...?

htcdude

Post by htcdude » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:16 am

I watched Pride & Prejudice :D What can I say, i like period dramas :) The movie not as good as the series though.

htcdude

Post by htcdude » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:42 pm

Just watched End Of The Spear, quite a moving film about some missionaries who go out to preach to the Waodani tribe in Ecuador

RammaGun

Post by RammaGun » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:26 pm

I've seen Oldboy :shock:
What a movie! I found it so impressive, that just after watching it I was not sure if it had been good idea to see it. I ended up feeling bad!