Recently seen movies

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
stratohawk
Re: Recently seen movies

Post by stratohawk » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:18 pm

no, it is "Schwabe" (which is standard language) or "Schwob" (swabian dialect ) :D.

Btw, Rommel is a fascinating person. There is still a gread film production missing of his story. I would prefer Ed Harris as Erwin Rommel, a great actor, also and especially for ambivalent roles, and he looks quite similar to Rommel.

Oh and I've just read that they are making a movie about "the Good Nazi" John Rabe, that saved thousands of Chinese civilians during the massacres of Nanking by the Japanese.
His story is nevertheless tragic, especially after his return to Hitler's 3rd Reich, where he was accused of being a collaborateur of the Chinese.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Rabe

miditek

Post by miditek » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:37 pm

stratohawk wrote:no, it is "Schwabe" (which is standard language) or "Schwob" (swabian dialect ) :D.

Btw, Rommel is a fascinating person. There is still a gread film production missing of his story. I would prefer Ed Harris as Erwin Rommel, a great actor, also and especially for ambivalent roles, and he looks quite similar to Rommel.
You know, now that you mention it, Ed Harris really does like a lot like Rommel- it is almost uncanny. And yes, Rommel was a fascinating person, and unquestionably a truly great general. There was a movie made about him a long time ago, "The Desert Fox" that starred the late British actor, James Mason. I do believe that a major motion picture about him would be a good thing.

There is a really good book about him called "Discovering the Rommel Murder" that was written by Charles Marshall, Capt., US Army (retired), and the author actually became friends after the war with Frau Lucie Rommel, her son Manfred, as well as Gen. Hans Speidel, who was Rommel's last chief of staff. Capt. Marshall, a former allied intelligence officer, not only spoke fluent German, but also could switch to the Swabian dialect at the drop of a hat. It's a great book.
stratohawk wrote:Oh and I've just read that they are making a movie about "the Good Nazi" John Rabe, that saved thousands of Chinese civilians during the massacres of Nanking by the Japanese.
His story is nevertheless tragic, especially after his return to Hitler's 3rd Reich, where he was accused of being a collaborateur of the Chinese.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Rabe
I'll have to check this out, it sounds like he was almost like a Schindler to the Chinese. Was Rabe executed by the State?
Κύριε ἐλέησον

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:40 pm

miditek wrote: You know, now that you mention it, Ed Harris really does like a lot like Rommel- it is almost uncanny. And yes, Rommel was a fascinating person, and unquestionably a truly great general.
Yeah their similarity is really stunning, I've realized that while watching "Duel - Enemy at the gates", where Harris is playing a German general.
Rommels whole story is really interesting, also the part of his family. His son, Manfred, became lateron mayor of Stuttgart and is still (though he is retired) one of the most popular politicians here. He has a great sense of humour, I read books from him, and he is not losing this though he is plagued by the parkinson desease, like Muhammed Ali e.g.

miditek wrote: I'll have to check this out, it sounds like he was almost like a Schindler to the Chinese. Was Rabe executed by the State?
The Chinese and some (American or British) historians really call him something like "Schindler of China". His actions saved more than 200.000 Chinese civilians.
He was not executed but imprisoned by the Gestapo after his return. But because he was an important business man from Siemens (he worked for Siemens in Nanking), due to the influence of the company he was released. Still, after the war, Rabe was denounced for being member of Hitler's party and arrested by the allies. After being released he lived in poverty, died in 1950 and was totally ignored by the German public (just like active resistance fighters like Georg Elsner). Now in the 90s his story was rediscovered.

stratobabius

Post by stratobabius » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:12 am

Untraceable

The original idea was, well...original, but it turned out to be a "horror" movie full of cliches.

miditek

Post by miditek » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:52 pm

Traffic starring Michael Douglas, Benico Del Toro and Catherine Zeta Jones. This film takes a look at the cocaine trafficking that goes on between the U.S. and Mexico.

I think that Del Toro turned in a great performance as a Mexican police officer that struggles to stay honest (and not to mention, simply stay alive) amidst all of the corruption that he sees. Douglas stars as a former state supreme court justice that is nominated by the president to become the drug czar, but only to see his young daughter slip deeper and deeper into her own addictions.

Not a happy movie, but very realistic nevertheless.
Κύριε ἐλέησον

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:32 am

I've just watched Michael Clayton in cinema. An excellent drama with excellent acting, brilliant dialogues and very interesting questions concerning moral and ethics.

browneyedgirl

PROPOSED MOVIES OF 2009

Post by browneyedgirl » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:10 am

http://www.coedmagazine.com/entertainment/5811

Man, this list is great if it really happens!
A&D, Terminator, 1776, etc!
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:14 am

Has anyone saw 10,000 B.C. yet? The previews on TV looked really great!

Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:20 pm

browneyedgirl wrote:http://www.coedmagazine.com/entertainment/5811

Sin City 2 and Inglorious Bastards ftw! 8)

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber Of Fleet Street
When I first read the premise for the "next movie from my favourite director Tim Burton": A musical about a barber who cut's his customer's throats and makes pie-fillings out of their bodies, I was certain this would be The Greatest Movie Ever Made. Well, maybe not, but one of the 10 greatest movies of this century for me and my second favourite Burton-movie after Ed Wood.
Dark, gothic, bloody and gory but definetly in a tasteful, artistic way (style also known as "burtonesque"). I hope to see Stephen Sondheim's original musical version of this some day.
It's always refreshing to see a movie, that's like nothing you've ever seen. Johnny Depp's best performance over Jack Sparrow and Ed Wood anyday. He, along with other cast really nails the singing parts surprisingly well. 8)

nepi

Post by nepi » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:40 pm

I've seen recently Wolf's Creek.... OMG, what a great and sppoky movie!!!!
you can't kill my dreams
you can't kill my spirit
I was born to be FREE!

stratobabius

Post by stratobabius » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:23 pm

Mormegil wrote:
When I first read the premise for the "next movie from my favourite director Tim Burton": A musical about a barber who cut's his customer's throats and makes pie-fillings out of their bodies, I was certain this would be The Greatest Movie Ever Made. Well, maybe not, but one of the 10 greatest movies of this century for me and my second favourite Burton-movie after Ed Wood.
Dark, gothic, bloody and gory but definetly in a tasteful, artistic way (style also known as "burtonesque"). I hope to see Stephen Sondheim's original musical version of this some day.
It's always refreshing to see a movie, that's like nothing you've ever seen. Johnny Depp's best performance over Jack Sparrow and Ed Wood anyday. He, along with other cast really nails the singing parts surprisingly well. 8)
The trailer didn't mention the fact that it was musical, but I liked it more because of that. The structure of the movie looks a lot like that of ancient tragedies, and that's what made it even better for me. :P

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:47 pm

nepi wrote:I've seen recently Wolf's Creek.... OMG, what a great and sppoky movie!!!!
Yes it is, given the fact it's partly based on a true case.

In the 1990's in Australia, Ivan Malat kidnapped&killed several backpackers/hikers. He would either pick them up on the road hitchhiking, or find them having car trouble. Then, he'd brutally murder them--some were dismembered or decapitated. Like the guy in the movie, at first observation, Ivan was likeable, like a Crocodile Dundee. But, upon a detailed psychiatric examination the guy was clearly a psycho.

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:48 pm

Mormegil wrote: It's always refreshing to see a movie, that's like nothing you've ever seen. Johnny Depp's best performance over Jack Sparrow and Ed Wood anyday. He, along with other cast really nails the singing parts surprisingly well. 8)
Absolutely, I was also surprised about Depp's singing performance! Amazing!

nepi

Post by nepi » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:58 am

browneyedgirl wrote:
nepi wrote:I've seen recently Wolf's Creek.... OMG, what a great and sppoky movie!!!!
Yes it is, given the fact it's partly based on a true case.

In the 1990's in Australia, Ivan Malat kidnapped&killed several backpackers/hikers. He would either pick them up on the road hitchhiking, or find them having car trouble. Then, he'd brutally murder them--some were dismembered or decapitated. Like the guy in the movie, at first observation, Ivan was likeable, like a Crocodile Dundee. But, upon a detailed psychiatric examination the guy was clearly a psycho.
I haven't been traveling in the outback but nevertheless I'm happy I've seen the movie AFTER my trip.... :shock:
you can't kill my dreams
you can't kill my spirit
I was born to be FREE!

Dawn_is_Here

Post by Dawn_is_Here » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:06 pm

stratohawk wrote:
Mormegil wrote: It's always refreshing to see a movie, that's like nothing you've ever seen. Johnny Depp's best performance over Jack Sparrow and Ed Wood anyday. He, along with other cast really nails the singing parts surprisingly well. 8)
Absolutely, I was also surprised about Depp's singing performance! Amazing!
I watched it last night and really enjoyed it, while my bf was closing his eyes during the bloody scenes :lol:

Johnny Depp... :luv3:
Drugs aren’t metal. Beer, however, can be served in all kinds of true metal ways. :D

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:19 pm

I read on the IMDB website that it is rumored Johnny Depp MIGHT be cast in Angels&Demons movie as Camerlengo. ??? I wonder if that could be true? IMO, he'd be a good player for that role.

Orlando Bloom is still posted to be cast, but the specific role he is to play has not been released. ??? Chartrand would fit him nicely, IMO.

If these 2 guys, by chance, were cast in Angels&Demons, along with Tom Hanks, this movie would be a blockbuster of Epic proportions! :)

black death

Post by black death » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:14 am

Pink Floyd's The Wall

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:32 pm

Mormegil wrote:
browneyedgirl wrote:http://www.coedmagazine.com/entertainment/5811

Sin City 2 and Inglorious Bastards ftw! 8)

Exactly what I thought!
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:16 am

In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale.

What a piece of crap. I was expecting something like "Lord of the Rings" but got this lame, low budget crap instead. I still haven't watched "Alone in the Dark", which has one of the lowest scores in imdb (the movie website). Anyways, the point is that "Alone in the Dark" and "In the Name of the King" have been directed and produced by the same guy, Uwe Boll. Apparently, all of his movies suck ass. The only positive thing, however, is that he likes metal. As many of you probably know, "Alone in the Dark" features Nightwish's "Wish I had an Angel" in the closing credits. Well, I found out that "In the Name of the King" had been directed by Uwe Boll when I reached the credits (yes, I watched the entire movie without knowing that it was one of HIS movies!). So, the best part of the movie was the credits, where you can listen to Blind Guardian's "Carry the Blessed Home" and "Skalds and Shadows", as well as HammerFall's "The Fire Burns Forever".
Just watch (or better yet, listen to) the credits and avoid the movie. :lol:
If irony were made of strawberries, we'd all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now.

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:24 am

Stealth wrote:In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale.

What a piece of crap. I was expecting something like "Lord of the Rings" but got this lame, low budget crap instead. I still haven't watched "Alone in the Dark", which has one of the lowest scores in imdb (the movie website). Anyways, the point is that "Alone in the Dark" and "In the Name of the King" have been directed and produced by the same guy, Uwe Boll. Apparently, all of his movies suck ass. The only positive thing, however, is that he likes metal. As many of you probably know, "Alone in the Dark" features Nightwish's "Wish I had an Angel" in the closing credits. Well, I found out that "In the Name of the King" had been directed by Uwe Boll when I reached the credits (yes, I watched the entire movie without knowing that it was one of HIS movies!). So, the best part of the movie was the credits, where you can listen to Blind Guardian's "Carry the Blessed Home" and "Skalds and Shadows", as well as HammerFall's "The Fire Burns Forever".
Just watch (or better yet, listen to) the credits and avoid the movie. :lol:
Hahaha, Uwe Boll strikes again :lol:
I haven't seen this movie, but I've seen Alone In The Dark and Bloodrayne. AITD is a bad and incoherent movie but Bloodrayne is on completely different level of crap - it is actually extremely funny to watch people like Ben Kingsley embarrassing themselves for a quick buck or Michelle Rodriguez trying her best to imitate european accent and to look like medieval woman ... The only artistic value of this movie is a 50 sec long sex scene with Kristianna Loken.
Both movies are highly recommended when you're with friends and after a considerable amounts of alcohol :lol:

Lightyear

Post by Lightyear » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:52 pm

Rambo!

:lol: A horrible but really entertaining movie. It was fun to watch..
Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel
is just a freight train coming your way

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:20 pm

Disturbia

Piece of crap and waste of time to watch it. A bad remake of Hitchcock's "Rear Window".

miditek

Post by miditek » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:46 pm

Come and See-

One of the best WWII movies that I've ever watched, and as a Russian film, it is most definitely not filled with Hollywood cliches'. It's very gripping, and I must say that the protagonist- portrayed by 13 year old Aleksei Kravchenko, is a standout performance.

I was amazed that such a young kid was capable of such intense and realistic performances. All of the actors actually did very well, and some of the scenes, such as horrific and wholesale executions of civilians by Einsatzgruppen squads, have never really been touched upon in any great detail on film, until now.

Not bad at all, and this film actually was made during the Soviet era, back in 1985.
Κύριε ἐλέησον

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:59 pm

The Mist

This is one of the most disturbing and depressing movies I've ever seen.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Thu May 01, 2008 1:35 am

EWAN MCGREGOR has been cast to play Carlos the Camerlengo in ANGELS&DEMONS.
Sexy Naomi Watts quit&Ayelet Zurer, a pretty Israeli actress, took her place. Ayelet at least, looks Italian. :)
Stellan Skarsgard, is slated to play Olivetti. (Stellan played the Saxon military leader on King Arthur)
Orlando Bloom is still rumored to be in, but the character he may play has not been annonouced. ???

Kohler is yet to be cast&Rocher, and Chartrand, also Glick&his assistant. The Cardinals also have to be cast.
The film starts shooting in June.

miditek

Post by miditek » Fri May 02, 2008 4:27 am

Death Wish III-

With Charles Bronson

Music by: Jimmy Page (this is not a typo- he also did
the Death Wish II soundtrack)

Kind of a cheesy '80s style action film. Still, it gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling to see Charlie mowing down a bunch of gang-bangers (with clothes that look like they came from the Merry-Go-Round store, no less) with a Browning .30 cal machine gun.

Paul Kersey, a known vigilante goes to New York to visit "Charlie", an old army buddy from the Korean War. Gang members break into Charlie's apartment, and administer a fatal beating. Kersey arrives in time to hear his last words, and then is arrested by the NYPD for the murder.

The chief of police is familiar with Kersey and his MO, and offers a deal with him. Help the NYPD to get crime statistics down for certain precincts by all means necessary. Kersey, who needs little prodding, begins to help his neighbors while staying in Charlie's old apartment. There are some amusing scenes of lost teeth and other injuries due to booby traps and the like.

Crime would go down for sure in real life if we had more people like Paul Kersey. Not too bad of a film of you are a bit bored, and like Charles Bronson's work.
Κύριε ἐλέησον

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Sat May 03, 2008 8:43 pm

I'm going to see the new Rambo this evening. I saw the trailer, looks like an extremely violent and sensless film.

Looking forward to it. :)

miditek

Post by miditek » Sun May 04, 2008 9:35 pm

Carcass wrote:I'm going to see the new Rambo this evening. I saw the trailer, looks like an extremely violent and senseless film.

Looking forward to it. :)
"Hey, Rambo! Me love you long time! Twenty dollah!" :D

"Duhh, thanks lady, but I've got places to be and shit to break, okay?"
Κύριε ἐλέησον

stratoplayer

Post by stratoplayer » Mon May 05, 2008 5:25 am

Iron Man

Honestly, it was much better than I expected. My friends talked me into going to watch it and I agreed because I was bored. But it is pretty cool actually, Robert Dowey Jr plays Stark perfectly, (i.e. a REAL jackass, sardonic SOB), the visual effects are astounding obviously, it's funny and I loved his personal AI. All in all a pretty good adaptation of the comic book and an entertaining movie.
Close your eyes and try to remember, destroyed lullabies of days gone by
Close your eyes on the edge of forever, a chance to dream fast asleep your nightmare ends

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Mon May 05, 2008 10:06 am

What a trip. Women, children... nobody got spared. My French and Spanish friends didn't have the stomach for this one. But hey, what can you expect from those culturless pussies?