Recently seen movies

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
Carcass
Re: Recently seen movies

Post by Carcass » Sun May 24, 2009 3:41 am

Saw The Wrestler the other day. The best flick I've seen in a long time.

W was quite boring.

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Sun May 24, 2009 10:20 am

Polaris wrote:Twilight

I heard so many people talk about this movie & I don't see nothing special, is more to teenager public, but very weak :roll:

I prefer Interview with the Vampire!
I've Twilight with Rifftrax commentary, because it's the only way to see this crap.

I didn't think W was that bad, it was just pointless.
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

Polaris

Post by Polaris » Tue May 26, 2009 7:55 pm

Australia, very nice movie, I like it :)

Polaris

Post by Polaris » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:12 pm

Beowulf & Grendel (2005)

Is not a bad movie, the good things are the locations, beautiful landscape, the characterization of the actors was great, & Gerard Butler is the right guy to do epics & medieval roles :)

sanichi

Post by sanichi » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:02 pm

I saw the Mist and Dark Water yesterday night. Both worth to watch, especially liked Dark Water (the japanese original, not the american remake), cause the plot is actually very well developed. "The Mist" is not bad either, especially the end is really great :lol:

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:18 pm

Det sjunde inseglet / The Seventh Seal 10/10
Classic cinematic masterpiece for a reason. I must say I used to have a little prejudice towards Ingmar Bergman's movies as too artsy and pretentious for my taste, but this movie was the one that showed me what an ignorant arsehole I had been. :D You could freeze-frame this movie every 5 seconds and turn it into a slideshow and I'd still be in awe of it. Stunning dark beauty all the way through.

Død snø / Dead Snow 7/10
If you're going to make a movie about Nazi Zombies, it's bound to be awesome by definition. Hilarious and entertaining, but not quite as much as its British zombie-comedy counterpart, Shaun of the Dead.

Doomsday 4/10
I expected a lot more from Neil Marshall, the man who made two of my favourite horror movies of all time, The Descent and Dog Soldiers. This was quite a lame attempt at yet another post-apocalyptic world -movie.

I also watched the first four of the 6 episodes of BBC's Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy tv-series. Sure beats the recent movie in everything except the visuals, but it seems like the book is forever doomed to be impossible to adapt to visual form.

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:23 pm

*bump*

Terminator: Salvation
Honestly, i was expecting much worse after hearing that this would be directed by the guy who made Charlie's Angels and that it has PG-rating. Some funny and not too obvious references to original Terminators, nice twist at the end and <spoiler>a computer generated cameo from you-know-who.</spoiler> The thing I appreciated the most was that it had the guts to stand on its own without imitating it's predecessors and that it was made out of genuine love for the franchise. I'm quite surprised this bombed in America, since it's waaay better than T3.

stratobabius

Post by stratobabius » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:44 pm

I agree with you! Much better that I thought.

I'll be back :D

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:05 pm

Mormegil wrote:*bump*

Terminator: Salvation
Honestly, i was expecting much worse after hearing that this would be directed by the guy who made Charlie's Angels and that it has PG-rating. Some funny and not too obvious references to original Terminators, nice twist at the end and <spoiler>a computer generated cameo from you-know-who.</spoiler> The thing I appreciated the most was that it had the guts to stand on its own without imitating it's predecessors and that it was made out of genuine love for the franchise. I'm quite surprised this bombed in America, since it's waaay better than T3.

SPOILERS! IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED THE MOVIE YET DON'T READ!

I agree. The movie wasn't bad at all. It was okay. It still isn't as good as the first 2 but it was okay. But I had a few problems:
-In the end Marcus is confronted by Skynet and is told that he was part of the plan to destroy the rebellion. I have a BIG problem with this scene. It basicly was a "Now Mr. Bond before I kill you, let me explain my brilliant Masterplan to take over the world" kind of scene. Why would Skynet do this? The ony purpose of this scene seems to make Marcus feel bad and so Skynet could watch him suffer. And that doesn't make any sense. Skynet is a machine, isn't it? And isn't the main difference between humans and machines which always gets cramed down out throat in those movies that Machines don't have feelings while humans do? So the whole scene doesn't make any sense! Skynet should've just deactivated Marcus! It wouldn've have that stupid James Bond villian moment!
-Why is John Conor supposed to be the big hero again? Yeah, I know the whole story about him being the chosen one from the first 3 movies but if this movie was the first Terminator movie I saw, I wouldn't know! The only thing that makes him different from all the other guys of the rebellion is that he has those tapes from his mother. Other than that he does nothing special that makes him stand out as the chosen one who will turn the war around!
-A NUCLEAR EXPLOSION KILLS YOU IF YOU STAND JUST A FEW MILES AWAY FROM IT! THERE IS NO CHANCE THAT JOHN COULD'VE POSSIBLY SURVIVED THAT EXPLOSION FROM THE BEGINNING OF THE MOVIE!

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:10 pm

Ragehead91 wrote:
SPOILERS! IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED THE MOVIE YET DON'T READ!

I agree. The movie wasn't bad at all. It was okay. It still isn't as good as the first 2 but it was okay. But I had a few problems:
-In the end Marcus is confronted by Skynet and is told that he was part of the plan to destroy the rebellion. I have a BIG problem with this scene. It basicly was a "Now Mr. Bond before I kill you, let me explain my brilliant Masterplan to take over the world" kind of scene. Why would Skynet do this? The ony purpose of this scene seems to make Marcus feel bad and so Skynet could watch him suffer. And that doesn't make any sense. Skynet is a machine, isn't it? And isn't the main difference between humans and machines which always gets cramed down out throat in those movies that Machines don't have feelings while humans do? So the whole scene doesn't make any sense! Skynet should've just deactivated Marcus! It wouldn've have that stupid James Bond villian moment!
-Why is John Conor supposed to be the big hero again? Yeah, I know the whole story about him being the chosen one from the first 3 movies but if this movie was the first Terminator movie I saw, I wouldn't know! The only thing that makes him different from all the other guys of the rebellion is that he has those tapes from his mother. Other than that he does nothing special that makes him stand out as the chosen one who will turn the war around!
-A NUCLEAR EXPLOSION KILLS YOU IF YOU STAND JUST A FEW MILES AWAY FROM IT! THERE IS NO CHANCE THAT JOHN COULD'VE POSSIBLY SURVIVED THAT EXPLOSION FROM THE BEGINNING OF THE MOVIE!
SPOILERS HERE ALSO

I dunno, maybe Skynet wanted to brag about how genius it had became? You see, if it could become self-aware, maybe it could develop human feelings like pride and vanity. No? Just guessing here. :D
I agree about the the nuclear blast, it really annoyed me too. I've read somewhere that basicly everyone, who were close enough to see the mushroom cloud that clearly in Hiroshima and Nagasaki were dead pretty soon after it and John Connor was flying the helicopter right next to it. What the dick?
Also, after some recent movies (Resident Evil 2 and Aliens vs. Predator 2) I'm getting kind of tired of climaxes where the heroes escape a nuclear explosion with a helicopter. :roll:

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:35 pm

Another thing that bothered me was the fight between Conor, Marcus and the big Terminator. I mean really, 2 of the biggest threats to Skynet are walking around freely and Skynet which has control over EVERY SINGLE ROBOT ON THIS PLANET only sends 1 Terminator to fight them?

I'm overall sick of those post-apocalyptic Sci-Fi movies. I mean come on guys! Why can't we have a bright future every once in a while? Give me a future where humanity is still alive and the world isn't either nuked, taken over by aliens and/or machines or destroyed by another disaster!

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:35 pm

Perhaps to test the capability of their new T800-model?
I'm bored of that premise too, but c'mon, if there's one franchise that has the right to do a post-apocalyptic movie, it's the Terminator. :wink:
I only hope they would've put a little more thought on the script. It was ok, but now that after some 25 years we finally see what really happened after teh Judgement Day, I felt that Terminator deserved something a lot better than this.

Speaking about Salvation being a dissapointment at the box-office (at least in the US, I don't know about the rest of the world): I wonder if they're still going to do those two sequels they've been planning. I mean, The Golden Compass was supposed to became a franchise, but after it underperformed, the studio-heads changed their minds.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:54 pm

Okay, maybe you're right. I mean, Skynet couldn't know that those guys had bombs with them. Maybe it thought 2 guys in the headquaters with all the Terminators and robots running free aren't a big deal.

I haven't said that they should change the post-apocalyptic thing in Terminator. I was talking about movies in general. Give us a bright future for once. And don't say "well, Star Trek has a bright future". I knew that but come on! That is only one movie against this army of post-apocalyptic Sci-Fi movies!

I agree. I think it would've been a better idea to actually start the movie at hour zero when the machines take over.

Well, that would be very sad. The movie, if you can look over those few flaws, wasn't that bad and if they put more thought in the skript next time, the franchise has the potential to be really good.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:00 am

I loved the golden compass. Film wins an Oscar and gets nominated for over 25 other awards yet the rest get canceled.

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:34 am

Ragehead91 wrote:Okay, maybe you're right.
Don't say that, I'm just making random guesses. :lol:
icecab21 wrote:I loved the golden compass. Film wins an Oscar and gets nominated for over 25 other awards yet the rest get canceled.
Oh yes, it won an Academy Award for special effects... over Transformers! :roll:

You can say what you want about the movie itself, but the CGI in it is fcukin' beautiful. According to director Michael Bayhem, some scenes in Transformers included about 10'000 moving parts, so you can imagine the work the people who created it had. Golden Compass was an ok film for me (just watched it again yesterday), but it looked more like a video game.
Reminds me of the first Narnia-movie stealing the same award from Revenge Of The Sith. *facepalm.jpg*

EDIT: That came out a little harsh, but I'm writing this at 1:40 am and haven't really slept all week. :P Don't think I have a constant nerd-rage over who gets a tiny gilded statue and who doesn't. :D

Come to think of it, why do I even write such insignificant trivia about some movie in the first place? That's it, I'm off to bed right now.

Lurdi

Post by Lurdi » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:16 pm

Ragehead91 wrote:
I'm overall sick of those post-apocalyptic Sci-Fi movies. I mean come on guys! Why can't we have a bright future every once in a while? Give me a future where humanity is still alive and the world isn't either nuked, taken over by aliens and/or machines or destroyed by another disaster!
I personally think that all these kind of movies are a projection of the American's worries and fears. Mainly since 11 September a lot of movies that speak about the earth being invaded/attacked/natural disasters have been made, although I do see the Terminator movies slightly different from The Day After Tomorrow, Knowing...But fortunately not all of them are pessimistic, aliens are not always evil. Think of Spielberg's Artificial Intelligence.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:57 pm

Lurdi wrote:
Ragehead91 wrote:
I personally think that all these kind of movies are a projection of the American's worries and fears. Mainly since 11 September a lot of movies that speak about the earth being invaded/attacked/natural disasters have been made, although I do see the Terminator movies slightly different from The Day After Tomorrow, Knowing...But fortunately not all of them are pessimistic, aliens are not always evil. Think of Spielberg's Artificial Intelligence.
Well, but most of them are. And that is my probem. I'm sick of hearimg ams seeing stuff like that. I mean, come on! Even in Kids movies like Wall-E in which we have a relatively bright future, the earth is displayed as a dirty shithole!

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:04 pm

Looks like I'm gonna see "The Proposal" with a girl...
:?
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch?!

NightScreamer

Post by NightScreamer » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:45 pm

hopefully you won't actually watch the movie, if thats the kind of girl you're going with

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:44 am

i'll write to some studios to ask them to display the earth as a clean shithole

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:22 pm

lol wut?

I went because she was leaving the States and heading back to the Ukraine. It's like a good-bye day. I miss her... :cry:
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch?!

finnlandia

Post by finnlandia » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:15 pm

Transformers cool movie!!

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:03 pm

Transformers sucked. Cut out all the scenes involving humans out and it would be at least half way decent.

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:31 am

Knowing - very dark apocalyptic movie which ends like all the apocalyptic movies should end. I liked it very much.

Night At The Museum 2 - cute comedy. Amy Adams is HOT!
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

Polaris

Post by Polaris » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:27 am

The last movies that I watched was:

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button , I like the message of the movie, is nice!

The X Files: I Want to Believe, don't like it, the first movie is much better!

Wolfhound this movie was a surprise for me, very well done, I love it!

Labyrinth since along time that I don't watched this movie, good times!

& I bought some dvd's too: Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959), Lost Boys, Cocoon 2, The 13th Warrior & Red Sonja, I love this movies :)

Morgana

Post by Morgana » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:09 pm

La Vie En Rose - great movie. I've understood what it got Oscar for.
Ice Age - 3 :) Very very funny :) :)

Lurdi

Post by Lurdi » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:58 pm

I saw Ice Age 3 and liked it a lot! So funny!

finnlandia

Post by finnlandia » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:29 pm

Ragehead91 wrote:Transformers sucked. Cut out all the scenes involving humans out and it would be at least half way decent.
:)

Post by Avatar Thief » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:11 pm

I want to see Ice Age 3, but I doubt it will be better than the first one.

Lurdi

Post by Lurdi » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:15 pm

Ragehead91 wrote:Transformers sucked. Cut out all the scenes involving humans out and it would be at least half way decent.
I decided some time ago when going to the cinema or when not. Just seeing the poster and the cast of the movie...Like Bartleby said: ''I'd prefer not to''