Recently seen movies

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
Stealth
Re: Recently seen movies

Post by Stealth » Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:10 pm

"Man of the Year". Didn't like it... I was expecting more of a comedy.
If irony were made of strawberries, we'd all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now.

miditek

Post by miditek » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:46 pm

I saw Martin Scorsese's "The Departed", and it represents, I think, a good return to form for Scorsese. What it is not, however, is a rehash of "Goodfellas".

The focus here is the Irish mafia in Boston, as opposed to the more traditional Sicilians in New York. The plot centers around the activities of the Boston Police Special Investigations Unit (SIU) and the FBI's attempt to take out aging local crimelord Frank Costello, played with a vengeance by Jack Nicholson.

There is an all-star supporting cast, including great performances by Martin Sheen, Mark Wahlberg, Alec Baldwin, Matt Damon, and Leonardo DiCaprio. The film's plots and sub-plots are among the most complex that I've ever seen in a crime drama, although the level of graphic language and violence easily surpasses most of Marty Scorsese's other work, which I feel detracts just a bit from the film. Violence has it's place, but suspense, twists, and surprises also make for a good flick.

Definitely not for the squeamish (Scorsese never is), and really is aimed at fans of the genre, as opposed to general moviegoers.
Κύριε ἐλέησον

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:39 am

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
That's probably the 10th time I'm seeing it and it's still funny as hell. The scene in the bathtub with Dr.Gonzo stoned out of his mind is one of the most hysterical things I've ever seen ...
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:25 am

Shurik wrote:Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
That's probably the 10th time I'm seeing it and it's still funny as hell. The scene in the bathtub with Dr.Gonzo stoned out of his mind is one of the most hysterical things I've ever seen ...
The beginning of the film sets the tone perfectly for the rest...

I was bored.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:19 pm

miditek wrote:I saw Martin Scorsese's "The Departed", and it represents, I think, a good return to form for Scorsese. What it is not, however, is a rehash of "Goodfellas".
I would really like to see that. Especially now when IMDb already ranked it the 54th greatest movie of all time:

http://www.imdb.com/chart/top

Last weekend I watched:

Stephen King's It
No question about it, one of the greatest horror-movies I've seen.
8/10

Tomb Raider & Tomb Raider 2
Both were just Indiana Jones rip-offs with an extremely ridiculous plot.
Both: 4/10

Morgana

Post by Morgana » Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:53 pm

Finally I've found B.Stocker's Dracula! Hope to watch it today. :wink:

nepi

Post by nepi » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:03 pm

The File:
Uuh, never thought not horror movies can create such electrifing moments! Really good movie but also a hard one - you can't miss a minute!

Handyman (mobile man)
A movie from switzerland ;) Very funny, really funny! It's a funny story and with some very special guests u.a. the guys from Krokus!
And my sister was a supernumerary in the movie 8)
you can't kill my dreams
you can't kill my spirit
I was born to be FREE!

Equinox

Post by Equinox » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:34 pm

Morgana wrote:Finally I've found B.Stocker's Dracula! Hope to watch it today. :wink:
You won't be dissapointed, it's simply one of the best.
"Insanity: A Perfect Rational Adjustment To An Insane World"

Stratofanius

Post by Stratofanius » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:48 pm

Big Fish

Great movie.

miditek

Post by miditek » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:00 am

Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan

This weekend, I took my girlfriend to see this mock documentary. It stars British actor Sascha Baron Cohen as Kazakh reporter Borat Sagdiyev, who along with his trusty producer Azamat, are commissioned by the Kazakh Ministry of Information to interview various people in the, as Borat describes is, the "US and A".

The entire audience laughed through just about the whole movie. This film will doubtlessly offend folks that are thin-skinned or politically correct, but will delight the rest.

Borat encounters one outrageous adventure after the other as he learns street slang from black gang members, gets drunk with college fraternity guys, goes on a date with a prostitute, pisses off an entire arena full of rednecks at a rodeo, proclaims that he's going to California to meet/marry his beloved Pamela Anderson, and "speaks in tongues" with evangelical Pentecostals, among others.

This is absolutely one of the funniest and most offensive movies ever made.
Κύριε ἐλέησον

Morgana

Post by Morgana » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:42 am

Equinox wrote:
Morgana wrote:Finally I've found B.Stocker's Dracula! Hope to watch it today. :wink:
Well, I watched it yesterday... The first part of the movie is better that the second one because as I remember the book was a little bit different. Actors are great, espesially Antony Hopkins :lol: Young Keanu Reevs is pretty boy, hahah... :D And Monica Bellucci as one of Dracula's wives - it's something new! :wink: 7 points of 10.

Equinox

Post by Equinox » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:58 am

Morgana wrote:
Equinox wrote:
Well, I watched it yesterday... The first part of the movie is better that the second one because as I remember the book was a little bit different. Actors are great, espesially Antony Hopkins :lol: Young Keanu Reevs is pretty boy, hahah... :D And Monica Bellucci as one of Dracula's wives - it's something new! :wink: 7 points of 10.
Awww c'om, 7?! That movie is great!!! the atmosphere it creates, the environments, the places, the sexuality in it. There are only minor changes compared to the original book, (if you consider the ending minor that is :D)

Too bad you didn't liked it that much, I watched it once, and I haven't dare to watch it again 'cuz I don't want to spoil the feeling it left me.

But, ppl are different.

iron_thunder

Post by iron_thunder » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:07 pm

shortbus!!

www.sacredembrace.com
www.myspace.com/sacred_embrace_webzine

Morgana

Post by Morgana » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:05 pm

Equinox wrote:Awww c'om, 7?! That movie is great!!! the atmosphere it creates, the environments, the places, the sexuality in it. There are only minor changes compared to the original book, (if you consider the ending minor that is :D)

Too bad you didn't liked it that much, I watched it once, and I haven't dare to watch it again 'cuz I don't want to spoil the feeling it left me.

But, ppl are different.
No, no!!! I liked it very very much, nice movie, but I'd like it more if I didn't read the book. The book is much more better and interesting. Additionally I don't like when directors change books in their movies... The end of the movie is... to simple and different from the book's one.

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:23 pm

Stratofanius wrote:Big Fish

Great movie.
Totally agreed. 8)

Hannibal
Exceptionally good sequel, but I still prefer The Silence Of The Lambs anyday.

Wicker Park
The plot was complicated enough without that mixed editing that made you confused about what are flashback and what are not (I think that style has it's own name, but I don't remember it). But still, I quite liked the story itself.

Robocop 2
I didn't really like the first one but this one was so bad it made the it feel like a masterpiece. Bad acting, bad plot, bad direction, bad, bad, bad....

Robocop 3
This was just as bad as the second one, but had at least some quite funny scenes.

Hopefully I'll see Borat and The Departed in near future.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:30 am

Rated PG-13
Pretty good to be one of those "Christian" movies. No cussing or sex scenes, but plenty of action&intrigue. The ending left it wide open for a sequel.
This film was made in 2005, the third in a series. Since the Anti-Christ lived, I think it will be a fourth. OOPS! Spoiler! :D

A good movie, though--not a blockbuster, but not a loser, either.
On a 1-10 scale I'd give it a 6.5, I think. :)

BTW, I do not believe in the rapture theory.
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

Equinox

Post by Equinox » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:10 pm

Mormegil wrote: Robocop 2
I didn't really like the first one but this one was so bad it made the it feel like a masterpiece. Bad acting, bad plot, bad direction, bad, bad, bad....

Robocop 3
This was just as bad as the second one, but had at least some quite funny scenes.

Hopefully I'll see Borat and The Departed in near future.
Aww c'om ppl, you are given 7, 3 and 4s the the best movies?
I won't say anything about Robocop except that it is awesome, and after that I'm just gonna shut up.

Robocop is awesome.

[Silence...]

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:27 am

Friday the 13th parts 1-8, plus Freddy vs. Jason.

Go Jason!!! :D
If irony were made of strawberries, we'd all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now.

Morgana

Post by Morgana » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:29 am

Has anyone seen "Malena" with Monica Belluci? Still cannot find it anywhere... :cry:

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:35 am

Morgana wrote:Has anyone seen "Malena" with Monica Belluci? Still cannot find it anywhere... :cry:
Easily downloadable. :D

I have it, but haven't watched it yet.

Morgana

Post by Morgana » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:43 am

Stealth wrote:Easily downloadable. :D
Quite right if you have unlimited internet :wink: I haven't :cry: But... can you post link? :wink: :D

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:45 am

Morgana wrote:
Stealth wrote:Easily downloadable. :D
Quite right if you have unlimited internet :wink: I haven't :cry: But... can you post link? :wink: :D
I can't. There's no link... only a program. :D

Morgana

Post by Morgana » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:47 am

Good program you have... :D :lol:

Agent Orange

Post by Agent Orange » Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:51 am

Saw Borat today. The movie is a bit confronting and disgusting to watch at times (definitely didn't expect two naked guys fighting eachother for minutes on end), but it's bloody brilliant anyway.

StratoTimo

Post by StratoTimo » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:58 pm

Bruce Almighty 8)
It's awesome funny :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Meikä Ankka

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:09 pm

Equinox wrote:Aww c'om ppl, you are given 7, 3 and 4s the the best movies?
I won't say anything about Robocop except that it is awesome, and after that I'm just gonna shut up.

Robocop is awesome.

[Silence...]
No it's not.

[More silence...]

Just joking, it's matter of opinion of course and I just didn't like them. :P
This weekend I watched:

Evil Dead 2: Dead By Dawn
Extremely funny movie, but not as good as the first one (probably the greatest horror-movie ever made) and I was kind of dissapointed that all the events took place in that same little cabin.
8/10

The Legend Of Zorro
Nothing special if you've seen The Mask Of Zorro. And this one has no Anthony Hopkins.
5/10

The Nighmare Before Christmas
Greatest animation ever. Period.
10/10

Bruce Almighty
Great comedy. I especially liked Steve Carrel's performance. :D
8/10

Liar Liar
Whatever people may say about him, Jim Carrey is hilarious. :D
7/10

Scream 3
Why do they keep doing these worthless sequals... The first one had it's moments, but through the movie I kept hoping "please end please end..." Carrie "Princess Leia" Fisher's cameo and those few minutes when it didn't totally suck justifies these three points.
3/10

Creepshow 2
"Not as good as the first one." Still quite funny.
7/10

The Matrix
One of my all-time favourites and it's always a pleasure to watch it.
10/10

Yeah, an exciting weekend once again. :D

miditek

Post by miditek » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:04 pm

Tombstone (7.5/10) starring Kurt Russell, Sam Shepard, Val Kilmer, Billy Bob Thornton, and Charlton Heston.

This is an older movie that we recently got the DVD for, and it is about that classic gunfight at the OK Corral in Tombstone, Arizona, during the late 1880's.

While I am sure that while these events are based on the true story, I am sure that the director took some liberties with the screenplay.

As usual, Val Kilmer offers an outstanding performance as the tuberculosis plagued Doc "I'm yore Huckleberry" Holliday, in addition to respectable performances by the rest of the cast in a film that epitomizes the "wild" factor of the Old West.

For those that like actually like the Western genre, this film is a good bet.
Κύριε ἐλέησον

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:44 pm

I agree, the EVIL DEAD Series is great&funny as Hell--it almost makes you forget they are Horror. :D Bruce Campbell is a terrific actor, in comedy&drama. He had a great recurring role in Xena as the Funny Thief, and has acted in serious movies as well, such as the "In the Line of Duty" Series one about the real-life Bonny&Clyde-type bank robbers in Chicago in the 70s. Bruce played the Husband.
Anyway, Part 3: Army of Darkness is very good&I recommend that for Evil Dead lovers! :)
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

Morgana

Post by Morgana » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:47 pm

YYYYEEEEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!!! I've bought "Malena"!!! :D I'll watch it tomorrow and tell you about my impressions :wink:

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:53 pm

Morgana wrote:YYYYEEEEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!!! I've bought "Malena"!!! :D I'll watch it tomorrow and tell you about my impressions :wink:
Let me guess... You are gonna love it. You love any movie with Monica in it. :D Your opinion about Malena will be extremely biased! :D

I'm watching a 10-part miniseries entitled "Nobuta wo produce". It's a Japanese high school miniseries about a girl who's unpopular and gets picked on by everyone else, so two guys decide to "produce" her (change her behaviour and appearance) so that she will fit in, etc., blah blah. It's supposed to be entertaining, although obviously cheesy, but I'm mostly interested in seeing a little bit of Tokyo and the Japanese environment.