Recently seen movies

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
browneyedgirl
Re: Recently seen movies

Post by browneyedgirl » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:03 pm

Alien vs. Predator 2, is going to be out December 25, 2007.
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

stratoplayer

Post by stratoplayer » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:38 am

browneyedgirl wrote:Alien vs. Predator 2, is going to be out December 25, 2007.
I really don't know if that is good or bad news...
Close your eyes and try to remember, destroyed lullabies of days gone by
Close your eyes on the edge of forever, a chance to dream fast asleep your nightmare ends

dirge

Post by dirge » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:07 am

Surely that can't be as everywhere will be closed on christmas day?

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:34 am

stratoplayer wrote:
browneyedgirl wrote:Alien vs. Predator 2, is going to be out December 25, 2007.
I really don't know if that is good or bad news...

The first one was OK, but many sequels are not that great. Remember at the end the baby Alien pops out of the Predator&it looked like an Alien&Predator hybrid mix? Well, there ya go. ;)

@dirge, all the sites I checked had that date&it has already been announced on Smackdown, and there have been a couple magazine ads. So, I don't know? ??? Just have to wait&see, I guess.

Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:44 pm

Reservoir Dogs - yeehah, another very cool Tarantino-movie! Really brutal, but with so much style. ;-)

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:28 am

^Reservoir Dogs is one of my all time favourites. :)

Went to see Grindhouse: Planet Terror. Sick, violent, gory and funny. Just the way I like it. :P

htcdude

Post by htcdude » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:38 pm

Am in the middle..or near the end actually..of watching a series called Bleak House a very good a twisting mystery drama.
"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me."

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:42 pm

1408 - good psychological horror film, based on Stephen King's short story.

The Illusionist
- loved it very much, Edward Norton is great as usual.

Bachelor Party - 80's in their full glory :lol: :lol:

Clerks 2, for 5th time - still hysterical.

Hot Fuzz, for like 10th time - still hysterical, definitely movie of the year so far and probably the best action movie ever.

Shaun Of The Dead, for like 20th time - one of my all-time favorite movies, damn funny even after 20 watchings.
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:48 pm

Shurik wrote: The Illusionist[/b] - loved it very much, Edward Norton is great as usual.

Hot Fuzz, for like 10th time - still hysterical, definitely movie of the year so far and probably the best action movie ever.

Shaun Of The Dead, for like 20th time - one of my all-time favorite movies, damn funny even after 20 watchings.
Hehe, good to hear! :) "The Illusionist" is really a very good movie, and "Hot Fuzz" and "Shaun" are on the very top of my "need-to-see-list". ;-)

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:00 pm

stratohawk wrote:
Shurik wrote: The Illusionist[/b] - loved it very much, Edward Norton is great as usual.

Hehe, good to hear! :) "The Illusionist" is really a very good movie, and "Hot Fuzz" and "Shaun" are on the very top of my "need-to-see-list". ;-)
Move them to "need-to-see-as-soon-as-possible-list" :) Start from Shaun Of The Dead, Hot Fuzz has a few references to that movie ...

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:23 pm

Shurik wrote:
stratohawk wrote:

Move them to "need-to-see-as-soon-as-possible-list" :) Start from Shaun Of The Dead, Hot Fuzz has a few references to that movie ...
Done. :D Now I simply need some time...

dirge

Post by dirge » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:56 am

The new animated Turtles film, I rather enjoyed it! :)

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:34 am

stratohawk wrote:
Shurik wrote:
stratohawk wrote:

Done. :D Now I simply need some time...
Just watched "Shaun of the Dead". Hilarious! :D

Miguel_Ricardo

Post by Miguel_Ricardo » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:29 am

Simpsons!

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:02 am

I am anxious to see "SICKO", Micheal Moore's new movie-doc when it comes out on DVD! =P

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:49 am

and now Hot Fuzz - as promised, Shurik! ;-) I like this one even more than "Shaun" - great Duo, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. British humour rules!! :D

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:53 pm

stratohawk wrote:and now Hot Fuzz - as promised, Shurik! ;-) I like this one even more than "Shaun" - great Duo, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. British humour rules!! :D
I never recommend something bad :)

I also liked it more than Shaun Of The Dead, Hot Fuzz is just much more insane, especially the whole action scene at the end, which is IMO the best action scene in the history of cinema ... Damn, you have grandmas with shotguns, someone riding the bicycle while firing 2 guns and whole freaking armageddon in the middle of the quiet english village ...

miditek

Post by miditek » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:14 pm

I recently revisited the classic film "Shadowlands", which stars Sir Anthony Hopkins as the world famous author and Oxford professor "Jack" (C.S.) Lewis, and Debra Winger as Joy Gresham, an American Jewish woman who eventually became his wife. Edward Hardwicke turns in an outstanding performance as retired Maj. Warren "Warnie" Lewis, brother of the author, and is an intelligent, protective, kind, and sympathetic character.

Lewis, who was a lifelong bachelor that eventually consented to marry Mrs. Gresham (herself a former atheist and Communist that converted to Christianity) under the general premise that she and her son could stay in England, following a divorce from her distant and alcoholic American husband.

When Joy was diagnosed with cancer, Jack realizes that he actually does love her (in the Eros sense), and agrees to marry her once again, this time "in the eyes of God." Her cancer eventually went into remission, but tragically, she had a relapse, and passed away four years later.

He documented his pain, his faith, its falterings, and how he actually became closer to God as a result in his book, "A Grief Observed." This film gives us just a glimpse into the private life of an intellectual, as well as spiritual, giant of the 20th century.
Κύριε ἐλέησον

dirge

Post by dirge » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:44 pm

The Bourne Ultimatum - Brilliant just like the previous two!!! 8)

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:50 pm

just seen Road to Perdition (again). And again I've realized why it is really one of my absolutely all-time favs! Sam Mendes is really a genious! This is a visual and accustical masterpiece!! And the story has so much more depth, so much more to tell than other movies of this genre. Wow...
And, yeah, Tom Hanks in his best role ever (IMO even better than in Forrest Gump - maybe because he is absolutely the opposite ;-)).

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:00 pm

Stalingrad - German movie about the battle of Stalingrad, one of the most realistic, brutal and depressing war movies I've ever seen.

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:30 pm

The Aviator
Still haven't seen a single bad movie from the great Martin Scorsese.

Fantasic Four 2: Rise Of The Silver Surfer
I didn't expect much from it, but this was a positive surprise. 10 times better than the first one.

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:29 pm

Shurik wrote:Stalingrad - German movie about the battle of Stalingrad, one of the most realistic, brutal and depressing war movies I've ever seen.
That's true. When I saw it first I didn't believe it... IMO it's much more realistic, brutal and depressing (to use your appropriate wording) than e.g. Saving Private Ryan. Ryan got a movie rating of 16years, and Stalingrad 12 years in Germany - absolutely incomprehensible.
But I think war movies have to be like that. Because THIS is war, THIS is how war works, and it's not some fantastic scenario about heroes, glorious victories etc etc.

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:57 am

Stalingrad is good, but there are some errors in the film. The combat scenes are not very realistic, in one scene people are running like a herd of gnus while attacking. But what the heck, it's only a film...

Saving Private Ryan is OK too, it resembles maybe a bit too much the Commando comics I used to read. Pistols synched with fighter planes is not very realistic either. I prefer the nihilism of Stalingrad. But not bad at all, the executon of the script could not have been better.

BTW, I saw a Spitfire flying this summer in Brighton. :banana1:

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:25 pm

Of the realistic (like I knew what that means) war-movies I'll anyday prefer Apocalypse Now. I also love Stanley Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket and Dr. Strangelove, but both those are more of a comedic.

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:24 pm

Stalingrad is good, but there are some errors in the film. The combat scenes are not very realistic, in one scene people are running like a herd of gnus while attacking. But what the heck, it's only a film...
Yeah, that scene in the beginning wasn't very realistic, but who knows for real what was really going on in that chaos ...

I've seen Enemy At The Gates yesterday - that movie is wrong on so many levels and so insultingly dumb that I can safely say it's probably the worst war movie I've ever seen (I haven't seen Pearl Harbor yet, but I feel I'm not missing much) ... I mean, do those who made the movie really believe that the only reason Soviets won the war was the by sheer quantity and not quality? Do they really think that this crap about one old gun for 2-3 soldiers was still happening during the battle of Stalingrad? I can go on and on about what's wrong with this movie, but it will be long and probably very boring ...

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:35 pm

Mormegil wrote:Of the realistic (like I knew what that means) war-movies I'll anyday prefer Apocalypse Now. I also love Stanley Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket and Dr. Strangelove, but both those are more of a comedic.
Apocalypse Now is on my top three list, but I wouldn't call it realistic. It's surreal as hell and IMO it's more of a metaphor of what happens in the minds of people in war. I'm not sure if I would call it a war film either. One guy met the other day compared it to road movies.

Full Metal Jacket is funny in a very cruel and ironic sense, but a comedy? :)

Equinox

Post by Equinox » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:19 pm

Shurik wrote:I've seen Enemy At The Gates yesterday - that movie is wrong on so many levels and so insultingly dumb that I can safely say it's probably the worst war movie I've ever seen (I haven't seen Pearl Harbor yet, but I feel I'm not missing much) ... I mean, do those who made the movie really believe that the only reason Soviets won the war was the by sheer quantity and not quality? Do they really think that this crap about one old gun for 2-3 soldiers was still happening during the battle of Stalingrad? I can go on and on about what's wrong with this movie, but it will be long and probably very boring ...
I want you to go on.
"Insanity: A Perfect Rational Adjustment To An Insane World"

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:33 pm

Shurik wrote:
Yeah, that scene in the beginning wasn't very realistic, but who knows for real what was really going on in that chaos ...

I've seen Enemy At The Gates yesterday - that movie is wrong on so many levels and so insultingly dumb that I can safely say it's probably the worst war movie I've ever seen (I haven't seen Pearl Harbor yet, but I feel I'm not missing much) ... I mean, do those who made the movie really believe that the only reason Soviets won the war was the by sheer quantity and not quality? Do they really think that this crap about one old gun for 2-3 soldiers was still happening during the battle of Stalingrad? I can go on and on about what's wrong with this movie, but it will be long and probably very boring ...
Yah, compare this movie to "Stalingrad", and you have one of the best (at least in most parts most realistic) anti-war-movies and one of the worst. I also didn't like "Enemy At The Gates", though I read records about Stalingrad battle that said the "one old gun for 2-3 soldiers crap" really happened. But anyways, that's not the only point that makes this movie bad.
And, yes, you miss nothing when you don't watch "Pearl Harbour". I also don't like the Mel Gibson movie "We Were Soldiers". That movie seems to be in most parts quite realistic, but I don't like it cuz of the glorification and because it only shows a "sober" part of Vietnam war, only the beginning. This war became so dirty and much more cruel later on, and this movie shows it only like it was one tactical battle and nothing more.

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:00 pm

Carcass wrote:Full Metal Jacket is funny in a very cruel and ironic sense, but a comedy? :)
Not exactly comedy, but comedic. Besides, Gny.Sgt. Hartman is one of the funniest characters in movie-history. :D

Yesterday watched:
Wolf Creek
Fine, but rather ordinary australian horror-flick. I expected more from a movie that all the reviewers seemed to love so much.