Recently seen movies

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
Rebel
Re: Recently seen movies

Post by Rebel » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:16 am

Kosmo wrote:I mean, where's the explosions..And gunfights? Another piece of crap was To kill a mockingbird..Seesh.

Spot the sarcasm.
I've seen too many people that would actually call Citizen Kane shit to catch the sarcasm right away

Lurdi

Post by Lurdi » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:16 pm

adrian9 wrote:PEOPLE, DO NOT GO AND SEE ¨THE BOX¨ with cameron diaz and james marsden, IS BADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD, dont even try a pirate dvd, just pass it!! fuck was so bad i dont want to remember any of that piece of shit.
I watched it some time ago and I liked it. Maybe you didn't understant it.

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:41 pm

Lurdi wrote:
adrian9 wrote:PEOPLE, DO NOT GO AND SEE ¨THE BOX¨ with cameron diaz and james marsden, IS BADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD, dont even try a pirate dvd, just pass it!! fuck was so bad i dont want to remember any of that piece of shit.
what is there to understand? is stupid, there are a lot of things that are left unexplained or justified, the story just blows after the first half of the movie.
A9

Kosmo

Post by Kosmo » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:40 pm

Spanglish:

Dramacomedy

Tl;dr: Great movie, buy the DVD.

The trailer for this movie is misleading, i was excpecting to see a basic comedy film starring Adam Sandler. But what i get is a well put together characterbuild with drama and Adam Sandler isn't even the main character, i can't help but feel that he was just added to get that small dose of comedy in there.

The plot is following: Mexican woman and her daughter move to USA, the mother gets a job as a housekeeper in a rather wealthy family. The first half of the movie is pretty much trying to communicate through the languagebarrier and Sandler throwing in some sarcastic comments and jokes.

But there's a scene that changes the whole films mood, a little conflict but just big enough to turn the tables, that quirky family living the american dream starts to shatter bit by bit. I don't think i laughed once during the second half, don't get me wrong it's not a bad thing.

It's made so well that you really don't see that the mood has changed you just slightly start feel more awkwardness and tension. Ended with a bittersweet note wich leaves you scratching your head, not because it's brilliant but because it's like hitting a brick wall, but i applaud the movie for not having a cliche hollywood ending..

5 star movie, check it out.

Lurdi

Post by Lurdi » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:16 pm

adrian9 wrote:
Lurdi wrote:
what is there to understand? is stupid, there are a lot of things that are left unexplained or justified, the story just blows after the first half of the movie.
Well guy, there is a plot in the movie and many things to understand.Maybe you didn't understand it or you simply didn't like it.

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:16 pm

Some movies I've seen recently:

Clash Of Titans - crap, don't bother.

Dead Snow - it's a Norwegian movie with nazi zombies, so it can't be bad by definition. Recommended if you liked Braindead, Army Of Darkness and such.

Kick Ass - probably my favorite movie of this year, so far.

The Expendables - Commando meets the last Rambo. The combined power of all the explosions in this movie probably reaches that of a Hiroshima nuke. Recommended if you like plotless mindless action movies from the 80s.

Black Death - England at 1348, Boromir travels to some remote village untouched by the plague because his superiors think it's strange. As you can probably guess, nothing good comes out of it for everyone involved. The movie has a very bleak atmosphere which reminds Name Of The Rose. Great movie in every aspect.
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:45 pm

Shurik wrote: Dead Snow - it's a Norwegian movie with nazi zombies, so it can't be bad by definition. Recommended if you liked Braindead, Army Of Darkness and such.
If you like Dead Snow you might want to check out Villmark and Rovdyr.

Both are Norwegian productions, though not as tounge-in-cheek as Dead Snow.

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:51 pm

Saw First Blood on my flatmate's silver screen yesterday. Good flick.

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:20 am

Lurdi wrote:
adrian9 wrote:
Lurdi wrote:
Well guy, there is a plot in the movie and many things to understand.Maybe you didn't understand it or you simply didn't like it.

SPOILER WARNING

a stupid box , build by an guy struck by lighting who turns out to communicate with aliens , to see if mankind is worth to save, by offering people a million dollars in exchange to kill someone that they dont know, and the guy controls people by taking them to a pool?? is stupid
A9

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:31 am

Béla Tarr anyone?
---...---

Kosmo

Post by Kosmo » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:04 am

Carcass wrote:Saw First Blood on my flatmate's silver screen yesterday. Good flick.
I actually saw all the other Rambo movies first, when i heard that First Blood wasn't as actionpacked as the others i was a bit sceptical but to be honest..First Blood is SO much better than the other Rambo movies. :?

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:12 pm

The Expendables: An excuse to blow things up, no plot at all and lots of fire and explosions...Amazing :D!
|StratoFan Forever|

Susie

Post by Susie » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:09 am

I think the last one I saw was Inception :oops:

I should go to the movies @ the weekend! Any suggestions??? 8)

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:53 pm

Hard to choose: I'm going to the cinema too today :)
|StratoFan Forever|

Lurdi

Post by Lurdi » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:06 pm

Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind. Interesting and curious, I had never seen Jim Carrey in a serious role before.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:27 pm

SOLDIER OF GOD---A historical movie similar to Kingdom of Heaven regarding the crusades. Pretty good movie, more preachy and serious than kingdom of heaven.

THE HITCHER--The newer version starring Sean Bean. After seeing this movie you will never pick up hitch hikers on the road! :shock: :shock: :shock:

MERLIN AND THE WAR OF THE DRAGONS---Yep, another story about the great wizard. Quite good if you like medieval fantasy adventures. lol

IN THE NAME OF THE KING---Medieval action fantasy tale with wizards, fairies, monsters, and arthur-like kings. Jason Stasham, Burt Reynolds, Ray Liotta, Leelee Sobieski, and Kristanna Loken as a woods fairy made it worthwhile.

EDGE OF DARKNESS--Good movie with Mel Gibson getting revenge for his daughter's death for being a whistleblower. He has a habit of playing these types of characters doesn't he? :lol:

THREE----Good thriller movie with a weird twist at the end. Watch out for those street food vendors! :D

Babylon

Post by Babylon » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:51 am

Recently saw DEAD CLOWNS.... probably the worst horror movie I've ever seen. While the story wasn't bad - I mean zombie clowns sounded like a good idea! - they managed to make it as slow and boring, just terrible.

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:13 am

three movies you should check it out
Voces Inocentes (innocent Voices should be the translation) this one is a Salvadorenian movie produced in mexico , about a little poor town trapped in a war between a full corrupted military and the guerrilla , is the last town where the war is fought and as you might guess things are getting ugly, specially for the kids in town who are recluted by both sides at the age of 12. a MUST SEE

another must see is the Argentinian "el secreto de tus ojos" (the secret of your eyes) a detective writes a book about a case he solved years ago, in the middle of writing thing gets fuck up. the end of this movie is so fucking messed up it worth the slow pace of the movie opening. this one won an oscar for best non english spoken movie. ANOTHER MUST SEEN!

and RESIDENT EVIL 4....MILLA!! MILLA!! :P and a lot of guns. beautiful.
A9

Lurdi

Post by Lurdi » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:41 pm

The Young Victoria

Lurdi

Post by Lurdi » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:49 pm

Shutter Island for second time and Wicker Park.

The Enigma

Post by The Enigma » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:37 pm

Umm, just finished watching "Machete" by Roger Rodriguez.

Not much of a movie to talk about considering it as a works of art, but it has a serious message in revealing the fact that illegal Mexican immigrants make the backbone of the American society by providing the ultra cheap labour and service force in the South-West USA.
(Where employers of illegals willingly make the state loose the income tax. Is it the immigrants to blame or rather those exploiting them?)

Something to think regarding the amount of Africans and Asians smuggled into Europe these days.

The 1st rock thrown again
Welcome to hell, little Saint
Mother Gaia in slaughter
Welcome to paradise, Soldier

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:02 pm

adrian9 wrote:three movies you should check it out
Voces Inocentes (innocent Voices should be the translation) this one is a Salvadorenian movie produced in mexico , about a little poor town trapped in a war between a full corrupted military and the guerrilla , is the last town where the war is fought and as you might guess things are getting ugly, specially for the kids in town who are recluted by both sides at the age of 12. a MUST SEE
:ola: :ola: :ola:

:)
---...---

Lurdi

Post by Lurdi » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:45 pm

- Rain Man
- Memento
- Cube

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:14 pm

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

Forget what I said about Kick Ass few posts above. SPvTW is the most fun movie I've seen in recent years. This is 2 hours of pure insane nonsensical fun. A must-watch movie.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:18 pm

Crank 2 (Good action movie with bits of humor. Jason Statham again. He had a rather hard time doing his work in this movie with a skinny crazy Oriental woman stalking him :lol: Like I said bits of humor dressed this movie up)

Clash of the Titans(the '80s version)which is a wonderful classic. Found the DVD at a Pawn shop for $2. It is a remastered version that was done when the new version came out. I guess for comparison. ???
Still a great movie after all these years! :)

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:10 pm

The Enigma wrote:Umm, just finished watching "Machete" by Roger Rodriguez.

Not much of a movie to talk about considering it as a works of art, but it has a serious message in revealing the fact that illegal Mexican immigrants make the backbone of the American society by providing the ultra cheap labour and service force in the South-West USA.
(Where employers of illegals willingly make the state loose the income tax. Is it the immigrants to blame or rather those exploiting them?)

Something to think regarding the amount of Africans and Asians smuggled into Europe these days.

This message is as subtle as a ten-ton hammer.
I liked this movie as a violent b-movie trash. It has no message except "Don't fuck with a wrong Mexican or he will do threesome with your wife and your daughter". Seriously, that's what happens to one of the bad guys in the movie.

Lurdi

Post by Lurdi » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:34 am

- Todo sobre mi madre

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:41 am

The Fountain, made more sense the second time. Beautiful soundtrack.

Kosmo

Post by Kosmo » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:54 pm

Everyone seemed to like Avatar, the visuals are amazing yes but the story is..Quite not.

Lurdi

Post by Lurdi » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:17 pm

Kosmo wrote:Everyone seemed to like Avatar, the visuals are amazing yes but the story is..Quite not.
The plot itself is not that original, but the way everything is represented, the atmosphere, the colours, the magic...that's what makes the difference. It's something I have never seen before.