Recently seen movies

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
browneyedgirl
Re: Recently seen movies

Post by browneyedgirl » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:03 am

Be patient. In 2008&2009 there is going to be quite a few good movies and remakes coming out! :)
Remakes? :shock: Uh-Oh.

Today I watched 3 oldies.
Terminator 1 "I'll Be Back."
Independence Day (I bet in about 10 years THIS one will be remade. Its pretty good.)
Southern Comfort (Good action movie.)
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

Equinox

Post by Equinox » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:38 am

Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk and The Dark Night.

3 movies that are coming out next year.
3 movies to take off of the "good movies next year" list.

He, he, he. . .
"Insanity: A Perfect Rational Adjustment To An Insane World"

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:02 pm

browneyedgirl wrote: Independence Day (I bet in about 10 years THIS one will be remade. Its pretty good.)
Why should it be remade? It's good at it is. :-) I like it, too. Good action, fun, and thrilling in one. Simply good entertainment. I'll never forget when I watched it in cinema for the first time. Very impressing... :shock:

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:24 pm

stratohawk wrote:
browneyedgirl wrote: Independence Day (I bet in about 10 years THIS one will be remade. Its pretty good.)
Why should it be remade? It's good at it is. :-) I like it, too. Good action, fun, and thrilling in one. Simply good entertainment. I'll never forget when I watched it in cinema for the first time. Very impressing... :shock:
This movie is good when you're 16 :) After that you start to see just how silly it is, after all it's Emmerich/Devlin "We like to destroy New York in a zillion various ways" movie. This one gets extra points in silliness for an implanting a virus through Mac to the alien spaceship scene.
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:52 pm

It indeed was better when I was 16, but Independence Day still is extremely entertaining movie. :)

This was an Al Pacino -weekend for me:
The Godfather
The Godfather Part II
Scent Of A Woman

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:35 am

In Independence Day, the Redneck Hick Goofball saves the day! =P Randy Quaid, I mean, who is kinda typecast in characters like that. :D

I have a list of movies&remakes coming out in the next couple years that I'll post later.
Man, the list of remakes is longer than the new originals! :lol:
The execs in Hollywood must be desperate! :D

Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:32 pm

I've got few minutes left of Red Dawn. Great teenage fantasy stuff.
wikipedia wrote:The plot of the movie is based on an idea that an unprepared United States stood alone and was then invaded by the Soviet Union and its allies (Mexico, Nicaragua, Cuba... :lol:) in the then-upcoming 1989, igniting World War III. The larger war is ignored, following the lives of a group of young people who become guerrillas resisting the resulting occupation.

In the small Colorado town of Calumet, a normal fall morning is interrupted by an airdrop of Soviet paratroopers into the town. Following an attack on the local high school, a small group of teenagers arm themselves with hunting weapons and flees to the nearby mountains in order to escape the Soviets. They begin a resistance against the Soviet-allied occupation force. The group calls themselves the Wolverines after their school’s team/mascot and proceed to attack the occupying forces using ambushes, sniper attacks, booby traps, guerrilla-style bombings in the town itself on Soviet positions, and raids on the occupiers' supply depots and convoys.

(I'm sure that guy on the right has stuffed one or two Big Macs in his belly.)
Is this film made seriously or not? John Milius is such a wacko that it's impossible to tell.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:09 am

Jackass 2

:lol: :lol: :lol:

What a bunch of idiots! Some of the stunts&pranks are disgustingly stupid, but some are so funny they'll bring tears to your eyes! :lol: And do not try any of them at home!
The dwarf is especially hilarious! :lol:
And, these guys seem obsessed with bull running for some reason! :lol: OUCH!!!!!!! :lol:

dirge

Post by dirge » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:55 pm

Dead Mans Shoes - Definately up there with some of the best films I have ever seen. It's from the same guy who made This Is England which is also a superb film!

OPOJ

Post by OPOJ » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:15 am

The Pursuit Of Happyness - Oh, that's heavy! Really good drama. Makes think about you own live and what happiness is all about.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:41 am

Remakes scheduled for 2008.

http://www.matchflick.com/column/1361

Other planned Movies coming out, too are: Terminator 4, Star Trek prequel, Dallas, Sex in the City, The Hobbit. I think the Three Stooges movie has been scrapped---Mel Gibson, Bernicio del Toro, Jim Carey, and Russell Crowe were fighting so much over the role of Moe, so the directors said to Hell with it. :D I'm serious.

I think I'm going to keep my Netflix subscription. ;)

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:31 pm

I'm afraid there will be more than just those five. I still think they shouldn't touch Evil Dead and Hellraiser. :roll:
Of those movies the only one that I have hopes for is Hellboy 2. Seriously, Hellboy is one of the greatest comic book -adaptations and it's from Pan's Labyrinth -director Guillermo Del Toro. :)

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:57 pm

Schindlers Liste

I saw it for the first time. Well, you cannot compare this movie to other ones. It deserves its place in cinema historyy. Shocking and touching.... And mankind still has not learned.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:40 am

Mormegil wrote:I'm afraid there will be more than just those five. I still think they shouldn't touch Evil Dead and Hellraiser. :roll:
I read on one website that a few of the proposed(but not final) cast members for the Hellraiser remake are Christian Bale, Snoop Dogg, and Angelina Jolie. I also read that it would not be a carbon copy of the original, but the basic plot would be similar. Funny, I can picture Angelina in that sneaky Julia character role&Christian would fit as a younger Larry, but where would Snoop Dogg the Rapper fit in? As a Cenobite? A Black Pinhead? THAT would be very original! :D Just have to wait&see what the final product will be, I guess.

black death

Post by black death » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:51 pm

stratohawk wrote:Schindlers Liste

I saw it for the first time. Well, you cannot compare this movie to other ones. It deserves its place in cinema historyy. Shocking and touching.... And mankind still has not learned.
Yes, that's great film, but the book is better :? .

Elisabeth: The Golden Age
I haven't seen the first part that was filmed some years ago, but this part is totally crappy :roll: . Jeffrey Rush and Cate Blanchett are pretty good, but they can't overcome the stupid screenplay...

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:30 pm

El Lobo
Based on a true story, this film is about a guy infiltrating ETA. This film is well balanced and well made. The guy is still alive somewhere in Spain, I think he had some kind of face surgery. It is said that ETA members still carry a special bullet for El Lobo, which was the code name of the infiltrator.

It's friggin' surreal that this shit is still going on in Europe. One girl at my age from Basque Country that I've met a couple of times have friends in prison for alleged ETA connections! Scary shit...

browneyedgirl

Orlando Bloom in Angels&Demons!

Post by browneyedgirl » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:46 am

Yep, its on the websites covering this prequel to the DiVinci Code.
Who Orlando is playing is being kept hush hush, saying it is a departure from the usual roles Orlando plays. ??? Could he be playing the two-faced young priest? Good for OB if he can pull that off, cause that character was a really twisted one!
The role of Chartrand, the Swiss Guard guy, would be good one, too.
I just hope OB is not cast to play Glick, the opportunist reporter twerp! :D I did not like that character too much! :)

Some people have said OB is abit too young to play the Priest role, but historically, Balian(Kingdom of Heaven: based on the real Balian of Iberlin, a nobleman who became the military leader at the seige of Jerusalem in 1187 ) was actually a guy in his early 40s, so OB can be very versatile!

browneyedgirl

Vittoria in Angels&Demons

Post by browneyedgirl » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:54 am

Naomi Watts

Funny, she does not look Italian, or fit the books description. BUT, she IS hot! ;) Very pretty lady.

http://www.cybercelebs.net/nude-celebri ... -watts.jpg

http://www.born-today.com/Today/pix/watts_naomi2.jpg

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:59 am

The Golden Compass
The more I see these new, mediocre fantasy-films, the more I appreciate the greatness of Lord Of The Rings -trilogy.
Oh well, at least it had Sam Elliot in it. :P

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:24 pm

Mormegil wrote:The Golden Compass
The more I see these new, mediocre fantasy-films, the more I appreciate the greatness of Lord Of The Rings -trilogy.
Oh well, at least it had Sam Elliot in it. :P
Is it that bad? I'm planning to see it tomorrow ...
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:53 pm

For me it was. I don't know what true fantasy lovers, which I'm not, think about it, but I thought it was just boring, corny and generic story with stupid plot.

Spoiler?
And I swear, the next time I hear the words "prophecy," "child," and "the one" in the same sentence in a scifi/fantasy movie, I'm walking out of the theater. :roll:
Spoiler?

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:10 am

Mormegil wrote:Spoiler?
And I swear, the next time I hear the words "prophecy," "child," and "the one" in the same sentence in a scifi/fantasy movie, I'm walking out of the theater. :roll:
Spoiler?
Even if it's about John Conner? :D

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:53 pm

That might be acceptable, since there really isn't the word "prophecy" included in the Terminators. :wink:

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:25 am

BUTTERFLY EFFECT

Deals with destiny&how it can be changed with a simple act, or decision, or reaction. And, how our presence affects others in our lives.
Also, one ending answers the question of, "what if I never had been born?"
The guys parents adopt the children that were to have been his friends if he had survived(he was stillborn)&they all had perfect happy-ending lives.

The other ending answers the question of, "What if the situation were reversed?"

Actually, I liked the second ending better. The little girl dies, but the guy meets her again anyway, as someone else all grown-up. He&the other children wound up doing very well in life.

A weird movie, indeed. But, not hard to understand. The importance of cause, and Effect.

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:39 pm

http://atasteforthetheatrical.com/deathtrap/default.htm

This has to be THE greatest super hero movie ever. It just has to. :twisted:

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:53 pm

Double post, but this deserves it:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071218/ap_ ... the_hobbit

The Hobbit movie on the way. Praise the Lord (of the rings)! 8)

miditek

Post by miditek » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:07 pm

My girlfriend and I recently watched "My Super Ex-Girlfriend" starring Uma Thurman and Luke Wilson.

Even though the reviews were not that great, we thought that this was an extremely amusing film. Wilson stars as a nerdy office worker type that is put off by his girlfriend's psychotically jealous demeanor. As if this is not enough, imagine her being a psycho bitch with super powers! There's just no getting rid of some girls! :lol:

Rotten Tomatoes Reviews
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/my_super_ex_girlfriend/
Κύριε ἐλέησον

miditek

Post by miditek » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:13 pm

This is one of my favorite films of all time, and was indeed both shocking and touching. Schindler deserves his place as named "Righteous Among Nations" for his efforts to save the Schindlerjuden.

All of the cast was very strong, I felt, but I also think that British actor Ralph Finnes stole the show with his portrayal of Hauptsturmfuhrer Amon Goeth, the diabolical Commandant of the Cracow labor camp.
Κύριε ἐλέησον

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:01 am

It's already a remake of War Of The Worlds, which was re-remade again a couple of years ago...

So no, I don't think we'll be seeing a remake of ID :p

Hollywood is officially totally out of ideas. I watched Casablanca a few days ago, after a very very long time. I don't think a film has been made in the last 10 years with a script of that quality and acting of that calibre. And what's really funny is how the screenwriters are on strike... they were doing such a stellar job, right? :roll:

They really don't make 'em like they used to.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:38 pm

miditek wrote:

This is one of my favorite films of all time, and was indeed both shocking and touching. Schindler deserves his place as named "Righteous Among Nations" for his efforts to save the Schindlerjuden.

All of the cast was very strong, I felt, but I also think that British actor Ralph Finnes stole the show with his portrayal of Hauptsturmfuhrer Amon Goeth, the diabolical Commandant of the Cracow labor camp.
I agree, Finnes' acting is really awesome in this movie.

Hey I just read a story about John Raabe, the "good Nazi" that saved thousands of Chinese civilians in Nanjing 1937, when Japanese troops started one of the most brutal massacres mankind ever had seen so far. It's an interesting ambivalence that in that region the German swastika was a symbol for humanity. Raabe was called "the Oskar Schindler of Nanjing" afterwards.
Heard that the story will be picturized soon also.