Recently seen movies

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
Wanderer
Re: Recently seen movies

Post by Wanderer » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:01 am

Saturday I went to see Doom with my friends. Afterwards I regret it. 10€ for such a movie wasn't a good invest. The movie's idea was quite full of questions. The acters weren't really good. After all.. I'd rate it to cathegory "good when comes from TV on saturday night but I wouldn't pay for it" :roll:
The oldest radio rock station Radio City quit 12-8-2006 :(

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:58 pm

:shock: where on earth do you have to pay 10€ for a cinema ticket?

Beast_Pete

Post by Beast_Pete » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:56 pm

It's about 3euro here. :)
"Mikor az utolsó véred is elfolyék,
S a tested is a porba hullék,
Akkor is van még remény,
Mert a lelked továbbra is él."

- Mark Swanson -
from the book, Nick's legend

Wanderer

Post by Wanderer » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:21 pm

Well I guess it's 6 or 7€ during the week but in weekends it's 10€.. what a robbery! :(
The oldest radio rock station Radio City quit 12-8-2006 :(

BlackMollie

Post by BlackMollie » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:37 pm

In holland it is about 7 or 8 euro's, depends on how long the movie is, but movies like harry potter and lord of the rings are about 9 or 10 euro's...

last movie i saw was Corpse Bride (not in the cinema but at home :P) is pretty good movie :D

SETH

Post by SETH » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:29 pm

I saw Saw2 on Halloween night. :puke: I wish I hadn't.

Pikkusielu

Post by Pikkusielu » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:49 pm

SETH wrote:I saw Saw2 on Halloween night. :puke: I wish I hadn't.
Pretty crappy, huh? :lol:

Jester

Post by Jester » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:17 am

I just saw "Kung Fu Hustle" tonight. Not as good as I thought it would be.

Jesse
"All people improve the gene pool, some by birth, some by their demise".

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:28 am

Just bought War Of The Worlds on DVD and it's a lot better than I expected. I should already know that Steven Spielberg can make a good movie anytime, anywhere and of any subject. :P

Last week I bought Revenge Of The Sith on DVD and its greatness can still blow my mind after watching it about 10 times. My next purchase shalt be Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, released on the beginning of December.

HvyMtlClickWitch

Post by HvyMtlClickWitch » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:40 am

Mormegil wrote:Just bought War Of The Worlds on DVD and it's a lot better than I expected. I should already know that Steven Spielberg can make a good movie anytime, anywhere and of any subject. :P
*twitch*

*twitch*

SPIELBERG MURDERED A CLASSIC!!!! *sob*

I'll never forgive Hollywood for allowing him to do it.

Why was it necessary?? Why? Why? Did the first War Of The Worlds movie suck?? NO! IT DIDN'T!!! It was beautiful and reverent and everything a good science fiction movie should be! And now it's become nothing more than a frivolous action movie starring some schmuck who can't even keep his bloody marriage together, and instead of being exposed to something great, hordes of kids paid their money to see stuff blow up and to see computer generated people disintigrate. This is NOT what the genre is about! This is NOT what was intended!!! War of the Worlds set a standard for science fiction, and now this most holy landmark has been decimated, pissed on by the movie industry in the name of...what?? In the name of what?

*ClickWitch bursts into tears*

*Clare's head explodes*
Let no man surrender so long as he is unwounded and can fight.

Jester

Post by Jester » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:33 am

In case you hadn't noticed, Hollywood has been re-making a lot of older movies lately. It seems they have run out of ideas, and or talent.

I still want to see the new Harry Potter installment, and am looking forward to seeing "The Chronicles of Narnia". But again, those were books long before they were movies.

Jesse
"All people improve the gene pool, some by birth, some by their demise".

htcdude

Post by htcdude » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:16 pm

Watched 'The Interpreter' again yesterday, great movie if you haven't seen it it's well worth watching :)
"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me."

Pikkusielu

Post by Pikkusielu » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:18 pm

Couple of movies I watched lately:

Doom

What a shitty movie! It was too Doom 3 and too 'sneaky little cowards killing undead thingies'. It wasn't even macho-shit that I could laugh at. I reckon to no-one...

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

The Knights Who Say 'Ni', the Black Knight, The Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog, Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch... the movie full of legends. Video quality is of course a bit of outdated, cause the movies is made in 1975, but the jokes are great.

"We're knights of the Round Table, we dance whene'er we're able. We do routines and chorus scenes with footwork impec-cable, We dine well here in Camelot, we eat ham and jam and Spam a lot. / We're knights of the Round Table, our shows are for-mi-dable. But many times we're given rhymes that are quite un-sing-able, We're opera mad in Camelot, we sing from the diaphragm a lot. / In war we're tough and able, Quite in-de-fa-ti-gable. Between our quests we sequin vests and impersonate Clark Gable / It's a busy life in Camelot... I have to push the pram a lot."

"When danger reared its ugly head, he bravely turned his tail and fled. Yes, brave Sir Robin turned about, and valiantly, he chickened out. Bravely taking to his feet, he beat a very brave retreat. A brave retreat by brave Sir Robin."

- Who's that then?
- I dunno, must be a king.
- Why?
- He hasn't got shit all over him.

- When I first came here, this was all swamp. Everyone said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built in all the same, just to show them. It sank into the swamp. So I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So I built a third. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp. But the fourth one stayed up. And that's what you're going to get, Lad, the strongest castle in all of England.

- We are now no longer the Knights who say Ni.
- NI.
- Shh...
- We are now the Knights who say..."Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-PTANG. Zoom-Boing. Z'nourrwringmm.

:D

Dave

Post by Dave » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:09 pm

stratohawk wrote::shock: where on earth do you have to pay 10€ for a cinema ticket?
here in Munich the prizes for Harry Potter IV were about 9,50€..
Spamming is serious business!

htcdude

Post by htcdude » Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:54 am

Man they're cheap! We have to pay £7 in Hayes, and £10+ in London!
"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me."

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:25 am

I'm waiting for a remake of THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL
Also, a CONAN THE BARBARIAN remake is in the works.

I bought Stephen Kings STORM OF THE CENTURY this morning at WalMart for 5 bucks! A 4 hour movie DVD. A great mini-series! I had it on tape but it had glitches where I paused for commercials--but, the DVD is flawless! "Born in sin, come on in!" =P
I also watched the orginial CONAN yesterday--makes twice this week!
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

HvyMtlClickWitch

Post by HvyMtlClickWitch » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:12 am

browneyedgirl wrote:I'm waiting for a remake of THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL
You have inadvertently stumbled upon my worst fear.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:29 pm

HvyMtlClickWitch wrote:
browneyedgirl wrote:I'm waiting for a remake of THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL
You have inadvertently stumbled upon my worst fear.
klatuu barata nickto :D
I think that meant "Klatuu still Lives"
TDTESS is one of the best Sci-Fi classics ever--I'm glad I taped it!

Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

HvyMtlClickWitch

Post by HvyMtlClickWitch » Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:26 pm

Actually *puts on nerd glasses*, there isn't an official translation for that phrase, although a lot of people like to use the 'nikto' as similar to latin 'nix' (not), from which it could be inferred that the phrase means 'Klaatu is not alive'. Because he was, at this point, dead. 'Klaatu still lives' wouldn't make any sense, especially considering the actions that Gort took immediately after receiving the command.

My personal belief is that the command was simply a 'safety mechanism' in the entire mission, in the case of something of that nature happening. Perhaps a predetermined command that would cause Gort to retreive Klaatu and revive him.

Another thing that scares me is...what if they decide to remake Forbidden Planet? That completely has the potential to be a cheesy summer flick, way overdone and with comic relief that would burn my eyes.

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:41 pm

HvyMtlClickWitch wrote:Actually *puts on nerd glasses*, there isn't an official translation for that phrase, although a lot of people like to use the 'nikto' as similar to latin 'nix' (not), from which it could be inferred that the phrase means 'Klaatu is not alive'. Because he was, at this point, dead. 'Klaatu still lives' wouldn't make any sense, especially considering the actions that Gort took immediately after receiving the command.

My personal belief is that the command was simply a 'safety mechanism' in the entire mission, in the case of something of that nature happening. Perhaps a predetermined command that would cause Gort to retreive Klaatu and revive him.

Another thing that scares me is...what if they decide to remake Forbidden Planet? That completely has the potential to be a cheesy summer flick, way overdone and with comic relief that would burn my eyes.
If we are talking about remakes - I'd like to see Plan 9 From Outer Space remake. I'm not kidding ...
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:30 am

About a month ago I bought a copy of DUNE at a Goodwill store for $2.50. It was a used tape, but perfect condition. One of the best Sci-Fi movies made, IMO. Boring in spots, but very good overall. DUNE was remade by the Sci-Fi channel a few years ago into a miniseries. It was OK, but it just did not come near the original.
So, remakes don't usually do well.

HvyMtlClickWitch

Post by HvyMtlClickWitch » Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:15 pm

Shurik wrote:If we are talking about remakes - I'd like to see Plan 9 From Outer Space remake. I'm not kidding ...
Dude, I can't even imagine WHAT a remake of that would look like. I wonder if they would actually try to make it appealing or if they would play off the reputation it's built for itself already.

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:34 pm

HvyMtlClickWitch wrote:
Shurik wrote:If we are talking about remakes - I'd like to see Plan 9 From Outer Space remake. I'm not kidding ...
Dude, I can't even imagine WHAT a remake of that would look like. I wonder if they would actually try to make it appealing or if they would play off the reputation it's built for itself already.
I wonder if anyone could make this movie more inept, yet funnier and more appealing than Ed Wood ...
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

stratoplayer

Post by stratoplayer » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:33 am

i saw yesterday "The name of the rose" a movie made from Umberto Eco's novel. i really like the movie, but it was a tad too graphical, you saw gutteg pigs, disemboweled corpses and a young novice and a whore really screwing, but i mean you SAW it, nothing implicit... still liked it though
Close your eyes and try to remember, destroyed lullabies of days gone by
Close your eyes on the edge of forever, a chance to dream fast asleep your nightmare ends

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:32 pm

I saw "7 years in Tibet" yesterday and I'm pretty disappointed with it. It's a nice movie, nice pictures and landscapes, but the development of the story is boring... "The secret key" (I think that's how it's called), I saw two days before, was scary. :lol: And a funny end.

iron_thunder

Post by iron_thunder » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:30 pm

HvyMtlClickWitch wrote:

SPIELBERG MURDERED A CLASSIC!!!! *sob*

I'll never forgive Hollywood for allowing him to do it.

Why was it necessary?? Why? Why? Did the first War Of The Worlds movie suck?? NO! IT DIDN'T!!! It was beautiful and reverent and everything a good science fiction movie should be! And now it's become nothing more than a frivolous action movie starring some schmuck who can't even keep his bloody marriage together, and instead of being exposed to something great, hordes of kids paid their money to see stuff blow up and to see computer generated people disintigrate. This is NOT what the genre is about! This is NOT what was intended!!! War of the Worlds set a standard for science fiction, and now this most holy landmark has been decimated, pissed on by the movie industry in the name of...what?? In the name of what?

*ClickWitch bursts into tears*

*Clare's head explodes*

... *then clare applauds.*
(how did i somehow get included in that post? haha)

ok no, in keeping with hollywood diarrhea, here's what really happens..

hvymtletc is standing on stage and delivers the above moving monologue about the disintergration of the film industry and the current cinematic state, which is a virtual wasteland, albeit a highly profitable one...

the autidorium is silent. the crowd is shocked.
then, one person (the old quiet man who has been a mystery up until this point, and, let's face it, kind of an asshole) stands up and very, very slowly, starts to clap. the slapping of one hand against the other is the only sound in the room and seems to echo off the walls. the camera pans around; people look at one another, not knowing how to react. then, some other person stands up and claps. a few more people, let's say, the school band (who are outcasts but somehow are cool at the end of the movie, though it's never explained how) looks at one another and applaud. the camera shows hvymtletc, who stands back from the podium and smiles, looking around.
the school principal and some other administrative idiots look disapproving.
then, the music comes on (oh god, the hollywood music!)... softly at first, and then as more and more people start to applaud, the music gets more and more cheesy and victorius. the person who was mentor to the hvymtletc character is standing at the back of the auditorium, say some old woman who used to be a star in the golden age of cinema. she leans on her cane and smiles; the camera shows eye contact between her and hvymtletc.

anyway, i guess the movie ends there somewhere, with The 80s Freeze as i like to call it, on hvymtletc in an ungraceful but conclusive pose, maybe smiling slightly to the side.

blackout.

roll credits.

*clare takes a bow*

www.sacredembrace.com
www.myspace.com/sacred_embrace_webzine

HvyMtlClickWitch

Post by HvyMtlClickWitch » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:36 pm

*HvyMtlClickWitch bursts into applause*

iron_thunder

Post by iron_thunder » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:48 pm

see? that's the effect bad movies have on people! they can't keep their hands apart!

haha...

@ topic: the only movie i've seen recently is awful... TimeRider. What a hellish experience THAT was.
http://imdb.com/title/tt0086443/

www.sacredembrace.com

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:31 pm

I saw the previews for NARNIA, and it looked pretty interesting. No LOTR, but watchable! :)

iron_thunder

Post by iron_thunder » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:57 pm

i'm still hung up on the grainy 80s version of Lion W&W. There were a few other films w/ the same actors that were an amalgom of some of the other books..
anyhoo i should like to see the new one as well, and pick it apart. i'm so fucking anal and weird about the book-to-film transition, like "well they cut out ___ ! wtf?!" haha... although i realize of course some things must be collapsed and / or edited out to make a film...

the film rendition of Tipping the Velvet was awesome. can't wait to see Fingersmith... gah i guess i'll have to order it from amazon or something..

www.sacredembrace.com